Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eichörnchen

Silver

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Haha of course. I didn't realize that UVA admits were making it a race. I got in and the next day was like "if I go, I think I'll live in Jeffersonian" only to find it had a waiting list of like 45 by January 2nd. WTF people.
digifly wrote:
az21833 wrote:lol i think uva admits are the only ones signing leases at this point, if tls is any indication... apparently charlottesville has some prime real estate
It's making me paranoid haha, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if I got into Stanford or H off of a waitlist or something.
Honestly I wouldn't worry. The only reason I'm hoping to arrange something sooner is because I am leaving the country in a few weeks and won't be back until pretty close to law school. If I were staying here, or even going somewhere with reliable Internet connections, I'd wait it out a bit. People say stuff opens up later and you get way better deals. I'm still on the fence in my situation because I don't want to race to pay more for a crapshack just to be done sooner. Or lose a bunch of money if I do somehow manage HYS. What to do, what to do...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:12 pm

az21833 wrote:my primary is upper and my secondary is lower? not sure what taht means. also not sure how long its been like that. probably forever
I think they will decapitalize your primary e-mail address once they have decided to admit you. For some reason, LSAC sends a lot of primary e-mail addresses in all caps, and I guess Dean Deal prefers them lowercase. My secondary was always lower case too...
Ezooo0 wrote:It's a bit buggy, but if you use the Status Checker app, http://www.lsstatuscheck.com it'll alert you if or when your emails change from uppercase to lowercase (or whichever way they change).
Hmm, it only seems to ever be buggy for me if I actually open and interact with program. If I just let it run in the backround, no problem - it has been running for a couple weeks straight on my tower PC

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Are people serious about thinking an uppercase/lowercase email has any significance? I can't tell if this is all a joke.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm

robot_socrates wrote:Are people serious about thinking an uppercase/lowercase email has any significance? I can't tell if this is all a joke.

Hahaha, 100% seriousness, my primary email address changed from upper to lowercase the night before I got a phone call from Dean Deal. I even posted about it when it happened...

And someone else, I forget who, mentioned that the same thing happened to them a week or so later

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

theres been more than a few that have noted that this happened before they got in. i dont really care but given stanford gives us no other marker from complete on, its worth noting i suppose

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whyamidoingthis66

New

Post by whyamidoingthis66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

anyone else having trouble logging into the status checker still? even when i go to forgot password it says my username doesn't exist...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 pm

whyamidoingthis66 wrote:anyone else having trouble logging into the status checker still? even when i go to forgot password it says my username doesn't exist...
search the thread... use the link in the email they sent you or something

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:Are people serious about thinking an uppercase/lowercase email has any significance? I can't tell if this is all a joke.

Hahaha, 100% seriousness, my primary email address changed from upper to lowercase the night before I got a phone call from Dean Deal. I even posted about it when it happened...

And someone else, I forget who, mentioned that the same thing happened to them a week or so later

I see. Is lower case secondary thought to mean anything, or just primary?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

whyamidoingthis66 wrote:anyone else having trouble logging into the status checker still? even when i go to forgot password it says my username doesn't exist...
Lulz. Well timed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gingerbreadsmouse

Bronze

Post by gingerbreadsmouse » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Lulz. Well timed.
hehehe

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

So upset that my emails have been lowercase from the get-go. :evil:

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

gingerbreadsmouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Lulz. Well timed.
hehehe
The username also adds to the yucks. Well played all around.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

robot_socrates wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
-Socrates

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whyamidoingthis66

New

Post by whyamidoingthis66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
gingerbreadsmouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Lulz. Well timed.
hehehe
The username also adds to the yucks. Well played all around.
glad someone understands my humor... this place gets a little too cray sometimes.

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

helix23 wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
-Socrates
I see what you did there :P

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Who here would withdraw from YLS/HLS if you got into Stanford? - Ok fine, maybe not withdraw but know SLS is porbably where you'd like to go?

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Who here would withdraw from YLS/HLS if you got into Stanford? - Ok fine, maybe not withdraw but know SLS is porbably where you'd like to go?
Right now I am 40-35-25 for SLS vs UChi vs. HLS. I am doubtful that an unlikely YLS acceptance would change that much. SLS is sitting #1, but finaid, or the lack thereof, could change my current rankings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Who here would withdraw from YLS/HLS if you got into Stanford? - Ok fine, maybe not withdraw but know SLS is porbably where you'd like to go?
I'm just about in that camp. I had a conversion moment this weekend and am coming to terms with it, but I think I'm just about 100% comfortable with my decision.

As an aside, does anyone know about having a car on campus?
Last edited by bernaldiaz on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Same.

zabava

New

Post by zabava » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 pm

digifly wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my God Stanford hurry up...I have something potentially very promising for housing at another school, but I still haven't heard from SLS. I applied mid October (3.9X/171) and am assuming that I'm just waiting to get my ding at this point. It just feels weird to secure housing before I know everything (I'm not a gamblin' woman). :-P
Is that promising situation over at UVA?
Lol, similar stats here, can't bear waiting... Also, shit, am I supposed to be worrying about housing already if I decide on UVA?

actium31

New

Post by actium31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Yukos wrote:
actium31 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
actium31 wrote:Ok so i know this is not the appropriate place to post, but I couldn't find a related thread and I
thought you guys might have good advice - how do you withdraw from a school after you've been accepted?
Are you supposed to just send them an email? it just seems a little tactless to me.. I mean i'm sure
schools don't actually care since they have plenty of great applicants, but I still feel bad because after all
they did take the time to go over my app and offer me money.. Thoughts? Thanks in advance & sorry for interrupting the lowercase/uppercase email conundrum :)
When you get the packet that has the statement of intent to register form, you send it back the box checked "decline." Or you send the admissions an email. Unless the school is Yale, they are used to them.
Well except only one of the packets I received (out of 9) so far has a form - do you have any idea how late they usually send out the forms? i guess i'll go for the email though, it seems more fair than just waiting around. Thanks!
I emailed a short "please withdraw my application" to all the schools I hadn't heard from (which was all but one). The one acceptance I had, I emailed them a copy of an official withdrawal form they had sent me -- I figured they deserved at least that for accepting me :)
Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

actium31

New

Post by actium31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
actium31 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
actium31 wrote:Ok so i know this is not the appropriate place to post, but I couldn't find a related thread and I
thought you guys might have good advice - how do you withdraw from a school after you've been accepted?
Are you supposed to just send them an email? it just seems a little tactless to me.. I mean i'm sure
schools don't actually care since they have plenty of great applicants, but I still feel bad because after all
they did take the time to go over my app and offer me money.. Thoughts? Thanks in advance & sorry for interrupting the lowercase/uppercase email conundrum :)
When you get the packet that has the statement of intent to register form, you send it back the box checked "decline." Or you send the admissions an email. Unless the school is Yale, they are used to them.
Well except only one of the packets I received (out of 9) so far has a form - do you have any idea how late they usually send out the forms? i guess i'll go for the email though, it seems more fair than just waiting around. Thanks!
I've withdrawn from three schools so far- one that I hadn't heard back from, and two that I had been accepted to. For all three schools, I sent an email thanking them for their time, effort, and consideration and then notified them that I have been accepted to another school that I feel is a better fit for me so I would like to withdraw my app (or decline my acceptance). All three school got back to me within a day confirming that they had processed my request.
Thanks, that helps. I'll definitely do that!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

zabava wrote:Also, shit, am I supposed to be worrying about housing already if I decide on UVA?
You should have been worrying about it last month and should be getting ready to sign a lease now.... It is known.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Jaqen wrote:
zabava wrote:Also, shit, am I supposed to be worrying about housing already if I decide on UVA?
You should have been worrying about it last month and should be getting ready to sign a lease now.... It is known.
But, when you instead decide to come to SLS, Munger is easy to get :)

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I miss the times when I didn't know there was a (poor) reason to obsessively refresh my SLS status checker.
Last edited by sinfiery on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”