Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wisteria

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby wisteria » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 pm

chickpea wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:
helix23 wrote:It says on their website that your email address changing to lowercase is part of the admissions process. But it's like a JS1 in that it is a necessary but not sufficient condition for acceptance. 600 people will have their font size change. But only 400 of those will ultimately be admitted.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure Helix was joking.

Got me as well. :oops:

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Sorry guys. Deans have a funny sense of humor.

actium31

Postby actium31 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok so i know this is not the appropriate place to post, but I couldn't find a related thread and I
thought you guys might have good advice - how do you withdraw from a school after you've been accepted?
Are you supposed to just send them an email? it just seems a little tactless to me.. I mean i'm sure
schools don't actually care since they have plenty of great applicants, but I still feel bad because after all
they did take the time to go over my app and offer me money.. Thoughts? Thanks in advance & sorry for interrupting the lowercase/uppercase email conundrum :)

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

actium31 wrote:Ok so i know this is not the appropriate place to post, but I couldn't find a related thread and I
thought you guys might have good advice - how do you withdraw from a school after you've been accepted?
Are you supposed to just send them an email? it just seems a little tactless to me.. I mean i'm sure
schools don't actually care since they have plenty of great applicants, but I still feel bad because after all
they did take the time to go over my app and offer me money.. Thoughts? Thanks in advance & sorry for interrupting the lowercase/uppercase email conundrum :)

When you get the packet that has the statement of intent to register form, you send it back the box checked "decline." Or you send the admissions an email. Unless the school is Yale, they are used to them.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

helix23 wrote:Sorry guys. Deans have a funny sense of humor.

haha
Last edited by ManOfTheMinute on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

What are people's thoughts on the benefit of visiting the campus for those of us still waiting for news? I'm going to be about 3hrs away from Palo Alto in mid-march, and I was wondering if it would be worth making the trip to go tour the school and (hopefully) meet with admissions.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 pm

RSterling wrote:What are people's thoughts on the benefit of visiting the campus for those of us still waiting for news? I'm going to be about 3hrs away from Palo Alto in mid-march, and I was wondering if it would be worth making the trip to go tour the school and (hopefully) meet with admissions.

If you have the time, there is no big down-side to visiting. All it will cost you is time and money.

The up-side is that you will have a better feel for the campus, a better understanding of the school, and therefore will be better prepared should you not be able to attend ASW and have to make a decision on whether or not to attend should you be accepted. I was able to visit last summer and am really glad I did; I still plan on attending ASW but recognize that it's okay if I can't since I have been before.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:
RSterling wrote:What are people's thoughts on the benefit of visiting the campus for those of us still waiting for news? I'm going to be about 3hrs away from Palo Alto in mid-march, and I was wondering if it would be worth making the trip to go tour the school and (hopefully) meet with admissions.

If you have the time, there is no big down-side to visiting. All it will cost you is time and money.

The up-side is that you will have a better feel for the campus, a better understanding of the school, and therefore will be better prepared should you not be able to attend ASW and have to make a decision on whether or not to attend should you be accepted. I was able to visit last summer and am really glad I did; I still plan on attending ASW but recognize that it's okay if I can't since I have been before.

With where I'm currently standing, a stanford acceptance would basically end my cycle. I'm mostly asking because in the past I thought I saw someone who visited and then received an acceptance phone call within a couple days. Is this something that actually happens?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:

I think this is the important part. From what I've read, visiting wont bump you up with numbers that would be out of consideration anyway. (assuming the goal of the visit was to up chances of admission)

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:20 pm

txdude45 wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:

I think this is the important part. From what I've read, visiting wont bump you up with numbers that would be out of consideration anyway. (assuming the goal of the visit was to up chances of admission)

IMHO, a campus visit would only provide a YP boost... shows that you are serious about the school and thus more likely to accept an offer, but I doubt it would move you into an admit pile from anything other than a "deciding between these two people" pile

actium31

Postby actium31 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
actium31 wrote:Ok so i know this is not the appropriate place to post, but I couldn't find a related thread and I

When you get the packet that has the statement of intent to register form, you send it back the box checked "decline." Or you send the admissions an email. Unless the school is Yale, they are used to them.

Well except only one of the packets I received (out of 9) so far has a form - do you have any idea how late they usually send out the forms? i guess i'll go for the email though, it seems more fair than just waiting around. Thanks!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 pm

actium31 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Well except only one of the packets I received (out of 9) so far has a form - do you have any idea how late they usually send out the forms? i guess i'll go for the email though, it seems more fair than just waiting around. Thanks!

I emailed a short "please withdraw my application" to all the schools I hadn't heard from (which was all but one). The one acceptance I had, I emailed them a copy of an official withdrawal form they had sent me -- I figured they deserved at least that for accepting me :)

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 pm

actium31 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

I've withdrawn from three schools so far- one that I hadn't heard back from, and two that I had been accepted to. For all three schools, I sent an email thanking them for their time, effort, and consideration and then notified them that I have been accepted to another school that I feel is a better fit for me so I would like to withdraw my app (or decline my acceptance). All three school got back to me within a day confirming that they had processed my request.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 am

Is there any plus to sending in a "Why Stanford" now, or should I wait to to see if I'm waitlisted/held? Stanford is my top choice right now because I love Northern California and it's definitely where I want to live and work.

robot_socrates

Postby robot_socrates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

HankBashir wrote:Is there any plus to sending in a "Why Stanford" now, or should I wait to to see if I'm waitlisted/held? Stanford is my top choice right now because I love Northern California and it's definitely where I want to live and work.

I'm unsure on whether there's any benefit to sending a "Why Stanford," but I wanted to point out that your reason for wanting to go to Stanford (being in Northern California), is probably not going to impress. For example, if you want to live and work in Northern California, why not be content going to Berkeley? Or University of San Francisco? If a "Why Stanford" letter is going to have any chance of making an impact, I think, it has got to list reasons that are very specific to Stanford itself, and not its location or reputation.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 am

robot_socrates wrote:
HankBashir wrote:Is there any plus to sending in a "Why Stanford" now, or should I wait to to see if I'm waitlisted/held? Stanford is my top choice right now because I love Northern California and it's definitely where I want to live and work.

I'm unsure on whether there's any benefit to sending a "Why Stanford," but I wanted to point out that your reason for wanting to go to Stanford (being in Northern California), is probably not going to impress. For example, if you want to live and work in Northern California, why not be content going to Berkeley? Or University of San Francisco? If a "Why Stanford" letter is going to have any chance of making an impact, I think, it has got to list reasons that are very specific to Stanford itself, and not its location or reputation.

Oh, I agree. I guess I could've written more on my reasoning, but I didn't want to write the entire letter here, haha. There are definitely school specific reasons why Stanford over Berkeley.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 am

HankBashir wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:

Oh, I agree. I guess I could've written more on my reasoning, but I didn't want to write the entire letter here, haha. There are definitely school specific reasons why Stanford over Berkeley.

I really don't think a Why Stanford is going to be helpful. Everyone knows Why Stanford. If there is some specific program or center there that focuses on a key passion of yours, it should've been in your PS. Anything else would be an annoyance - I'm pretty sure the school knows why you want to go there - it's the same reason everyone wants to go there.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 am

HankBashir wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:

The A's are going to be moved to San Jose once the monied interests have their way and you want to be closer to the team. That's all Stanford needs to hear.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 am

jselson wrote:
HankBashir wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:

I really don't think a Why Stanford is going to be helpful. Everyone knows Why Stanford. If there is some specific program or center there that focuses on a key passion of yours, it should've been in your PS. Anything else would be an annoyance - I'm pretty sure the school knows why you want to go there - it's the same reason everyone wants to go there.

what if you are someone who has no ties to the west coast? do you think there is an advantage in writing a why stanford then?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

Oh my God Stanford hurry up...I have something potentially very promising for housing at another school, but I still haven't heard from SLS. I applied mid October (3.9X/171) and am assuming that I'm just waiting to get my ding at this point. It just feels weird to secure housing before I know everything (I'm not a gamblin' woman). :-P

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 am

my primary is upper and my secondary is lower? not sure what taht means. also not sure how long its been like that. probably forever

Ezooo0

Postby Ezooo0 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am

It's a bit buggy, but if you use the Status Checker app, http://www.lsstatuscheck.com it'll alert you if or when your emails change from uppercase to lowercase (or whichever way they change).

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my God Stanford hurry up...I have something potentially very promising for housing at another school, but I still haven't heard from SLS. I applied mid October (3.9X/171) and am assuming that I'm just waiting to get my ding at this point. It just feels weird to secure housing before I know everything (I'm not a gamblin' woman). :-P

Is that promising situation over at UVA?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:00 pm

lol i think uva admits are the only ones signing leases at this point, if tls is any indication... apparently charlottesville has some prime real estate

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm

az21833 wrote:lol i think uva admits are the only ones signing leases at this point, if tls is any indication... apparently charlottesville has some prime real estate

It's making me paranoid haha, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if I got into Stanford or H off of a waitlist or something.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”