Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arrggg

Bronze

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Post by arrggg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:While I know I'm only one member of a perennial group of nearly half-year waiters, I am curious why my application hasn't been DLS'd yet. At most schools people held till April have a number potentially useful to satisfy a median (Harvard digged for held high GPAs it had saved till last week, for example), and if there was something particularly interesting about the app to make up for lower numbers they are admitted on time for that reason. I don't have numbers worth holding onto for median-driven purposes, but clearly nothing about my app was truly worth grabbing or I'd have gotten the call. :?
I feel the same way. While my LSAT score is 75 percentile for Stanford, I feel like there's probably a large pool of applicants with LSAT scores at least that high and probably GPAs higher than mine as well. It's what makes waiting for Stanford so puzzling and frustrating. If it weren't my top choice, I would've given up hope by now...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

arrggg wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:While I know I'm only one member of a perennial group of nearly half-year waiters, I am curious why my application hasn't been DLS'd yet. At most schools people held till April have a number potentially useful to satisfy a median (Harvard digged for held high GPAs it had saved till last week, for example), and if there was something particularly interesting about the app to make up for lower numbers they are admitted on time for that reason. I don't have numbers worth holding onto for median-driven purposes, but clearly nothing about my app was truly worth grabbing or I'd have gotten the call. :?
I feel the same way. While my LSAT score is 75 percentile for Stanford, I feel like there's probably a large pool of applicants with LSAT scores at least that high and probably GPAs higher than mine as well. It's what makes waiting for Stanford so puzzling and frustrating. If it weren't my top choice, I would've given up hope by now...
ya I have the same LSAT as you. I highly doubt they "need" our lsats. theres gotta be another explanation

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
arrggg wrote:
ya I have the same LSAT as you. I highly doubt they "need" our lsats. theres gotta be another explanation
I can't figure it out, I have not heard a thing, good or bad. my numbers are not that great. NonURM 168/3.9. It is my first choice, got some great LOR's but still? I am waiting and hoping.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm

uconjak wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
arrggg wrote:
I can't figure it out, I have not heard a thing, good or bad. my numbers are not that great. NonURM 168/3.9. It is my first choice, got some great LOR's but still? I am waiting and hoping.
We're numbers twins and I also haven't heard anything from SLS since applying months ago. Perhaps they're on the fence about us since our LSAT scores aren't especially great?

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I just want them to tell me already! It's april

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm

chickpea wrote:
uconjak wrote:
We're numbers twins and I also haven't heard anything from SLS since applying months ago. Perhaps they're on the fence about us since our LSAT scores aren't especially great?
Numbers triples here. Chickpea I thought you retook the LSAT this February? Or did you decide against it after all?

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:38 pm

swordking90 wrote:
chickpea wrote:
uconjak wrote:
Numbers triples here. Chickpea I thought you retook the LSAT this February? Or did you decide against it after all?
I did... and I scored lower. There was some major stress in my life the morning of the (blizzard-rescheduled) test that certainly didn't help matters much. Oh well, guess HYS just wasn't in the cards for me. Not too bothered by it at this point.

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm

chickpea wrote:
I did... and I scored lower. There was some major stress in my life the morning of the (blizzard-rescheduled) test that certainly didn't help matters much. Oh well, guess HYS just wasn't in the cards for me. Not too bothered by it at this point.
I'm so sorry to hear that chickpea - yeah this whole drawn out process has numbed me to the ups and downs too. Really glad NYU came through for us :) Best of luck from here on out!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:48 pm

swordking90 wrote:
chickpea wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear that chickpea - yeah this whole drawn out process has numbed me to the ups and downs too. Really glad NYU came through for us :) Best of luck from here on out!
this is my fear about a potential June retake. so much going on right now to distract me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks guys. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your cycles as well. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be at NYU next fall and am really excited about it. I haven't been on TLS much these past couple of months. You wouldn't believe how much better I feel about attending NYU after having spent that period of time among normal folk (as opposed to TLS superhumans).

Edit: That's not a negative judgement on the superhumans :)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:55 pm

chickpea wrote:Thanks guys. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your cycles as well. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be at NYU next fall and am really excited about it. I haven't been on TLS much these past couple of months. You wouldn't believe how much better I feel about attending NYU after having spent that period of time among normal folk (as opposed to TLS superhumans).
yes -- this is something to always keep in mind. nearly all the schools we discuss are actually very prestigious, elite institutions to be proud of and happy to go to. TLS debt-mongering nearly caused me to second guess attending at all last week until I talked with some family and alumns over the weekend who straightened me out

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
chickpea wrote:Thanks guys. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your cycles as well. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be at NYU next fall and am really excited about it. I haven't been on TLS much these past couple of months. You wouldn't believe how much better I feel about attending NYU after having spent that period of time among normal folk (as opposed to TLS superhumans).
yes -- this is something to always keep in mind. nearly all the schools we discuss are actually very prestigious, elite institutions to be proud of and happy to go to. TLS debt-mongering nearly caused me to second guess attending at all last week until I talked with some family and alumns over the weekend who straightened me out
I went through the exact same process. TLS can be supportive but it can also make you feel irrationally terrible about yourself.

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm

chickpea wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I went through the exact same process. TLS can be supportive but it can also make you feel irrationally terrible about yourself.
I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one second-guessing my own ability/financial sanity in going for law school after dwelling for too long on TLS. Talking to friends and family can really bring back some perspective and much-needed encouragement :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 pm

TLS is the 0L stress incubator.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:35 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Maybe I just don't belong in admissions, but how long does it really take to render a decision on someone?
I bet on a case by case basis, 3-5 hours to read PS/LoRs/resume/#s and make a decision, but they have to adjust their median/URM-likelihood estimators for each new data point. I bet there's a statistical significance assigned to each applicant shot out by a series of linked excel spreadsheets, and if your output falls in a certain range they can't reject you until the likelihood function can generate p-value < 0.01/0.05 of failure to matriculate a designed null net class score. so yea, it could be complicated and take a long time.

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Maybe I just don't belong in admissions, but how long does it really take to render a decision on someone?
I bet on a case by case basis, 3-5 hours to read PS/LoRs/resume/#s and make a decision, but they have to adjust their median/URM-likelihood estimators for each new data point. I bet there's a statistical significance assigned to each applicant shot out by a series of linked excel spreadsheets, and if your output falls in a certain range they can't reject you until the likelihood function can generate p-value < 0.01/0.05 of failure to matriculate a designed null net class score. so yea, it could be complicated and take a long time.
I like to imagine it's this complicated, but my gut tells me it's far simpler.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I would be a bit disappointed too if it were numbers-based to this extreme. But maybe I'm naive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I would be a bit disappointed too if it were numbers-based to this extreme. But maybe I'm naive.
I'm not saying the numbers are all determining -- I'm sure every file gets a full read through, and I'm a strong believer in work experience and undergrad institution/coursework selection having more power than TLS gives credit for -- but they must have some mechanism to sort through thousands of potential applications and split auto-rejects from "held" files. A school like Stanford will reject somewhere between 91 and 93% of the files it receives, it can't possibly peruse all of them with the same diligence. So in some sense, we are all numbers that get put into a machine at some point in the process -- how else do these schools keep nearly the exact same numbers year after year.

Eli

Bronze

Post by Eli » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:39 pm

On an unrelated and less confusing note, no news is good news, right?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Eli wrote:On an unrelated and less confusing note, no news is good news, right?
Yes and no

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:02 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Yes and no
This. Yes in the sense that you have not been rejected. No in the sense that (in my case), you've been waiting since September and you're probably headed towards the WL at the least.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 pm

RSterling wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
Yes and no
This. Yes in the sense that you have not been rejected. No in the sense that (in my case), you've been waiting since September and you're probably headed towards the WL at the least.
Yup. Same here. Oh well. Did you submit your UVA deposit or are you waiting until Friday?

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:40 pm

digifly wrote: Yup. Same here. Oh well. Did you submit your UVA deposit or are you waiting until Friday?
Not yet. I'm going to wait until the last minute.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm

RSterling wrote:
digifly wrote: Yup. Same here. Oh well. Did you submit your UVA deposit or are you waiting until Friday?
Not yet. I'm going to wait until the last minute.
Good strategy. I'm headed to Vegas so I had to get it all out of my bank account before it was too late!

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Soooo no lowercase emails reported = no good news tomorrow. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”