Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uconjak

Bronze

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Post by uconjak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:51 pm

I am going to start a little rant on the thread. Most Top law schools (T-14's), tend to like top rank UG schools. Yes in know they pick some special snowflakes from "Slippery Rock University" who have very high LSAT/GPA scores or who are URM's. I believe that all things being equal they will pick someone from an IVy vs someone went to a state school in the midwest. This was as much said by the dean of Boalt. He said most of the students accepted were from the "ivies". I think this bias is more prevasive in T-14 schools. When I visited Berkley last fall with my parents. my parents and i were separated and I overheard some student talking about my dad. He had a red Polo shirt on with U of Nebraska football logo above the pocket. these students made some rather rude comments about him being from the "Fly OVer Zone" of the country. I sat and listened for a minute then I spoke to them saying you know he also has a USMC tatoo on his arm. They said, figures probably one of those "baby killers" from VIetnam. and they laughed. Had a similar experience at Yale when I was touring their for UG. My dad just smiled at the Yale tour guide and asked him these questions.
1. have you every had someone you love die in your arms.
2. Have you ever saved someones life who you didn't know.
3. have you ever had to kill someone, so close, you could smell what they had for breakfast on their last breath.

the guide, who was about ready to Pee his pants...studdered, said no.

my dad just smiled and said, i thought so. Until you have had to do those things, you have no right to judge me.

Just a little rant. sorry everyone.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:52 pm

chacheezy wrote:as the phone call from a blocked number?
No, it's not blocked.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm

uconjak wrote:I am going to start a little rant on the thread. Most Top law schools (T-14's), tend to like top rank UG schools. Yes in know they pick some special snowflakes from "Slippery Rock University" who have very high LSAT/GPA scores or who are URM's. I believe that all things being equal they will pick someone from an IVy vs someone went to a state school in the midwest. This was as much said by the dean of Boalt. He said most of the students accepted were from the "ivies". I think this bias is more prevasive in T-14 schools. When I visited Berkley last fall with my parents. my parents and i were separated and I overheard some student talking about my dad. He had a red Polo shirt on with U of Nebraska football logo above the pocket. these students made some rather rude comments about him being from the "Fly OVer Zone" of the country. I sat and listened for a minute then I spoke to them saying you know he also has a USMC tatoo on his arm. They said, figures probably one of those "baby killers" from VIetnam. and they laughed. Had a similar experience at Yale when I was touring their for UG. My dad just smiled at the Yale tour guide and asked him these questions.
3. have you ever had to kill someone, so close, you could smell what they had for breakfast on their last breath.

my dad just smiled and said, i thought so. Until you have had to do those things, you have no right to judge me.

Disgusting. I kinda got the same vibe at Boalt as well. I can only imagine what my folks would get, both went to Mississippi State.

onix

New

Post by onix » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

uconjak wrote:My dad just smiled at the Yale tour guide and asked him these questions.

Requoted for awesomeness.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Wow, that's horrible (I mean, the students' comments). Your dad sounds awesome :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm

uconjak wrote:I am going to start a little rant on the thread. Most Top law schools (T-14's), tend to like top rank UG schools. Yes in know they pick some special snowflakes from "Slippery Rock University" who have very high LSAT/GPA scores or who are URM's. I believe that all things being equal they will pick someone from an IVy vs someone went to a state school in the midwest. This was as much said by the dean of Boalt. He said most of the students accepted were from the "ivies". I think this bias is more prevasive in T-14 schools. When I visited Berkley last fall with my parents. my parents and i were separated and I overheard some student talking about my dad. He had a red Polo shirt on with U of Nebraska football logo above the pocket. these students made some rather rude comments about him being from the "Fly OVer Zone" of the country. I sat and listened for a minute then I spoke to them saying you know he also has a USMC tatoo on his arm. They said, figures probably one of those "baby killers" from VIetnam. and they laughed. Had a similar experience at Yale when I was touring their for UG. My dad just smiled at the Yale tour guide and asked him these questions.

I purposefully desired to avoid the legendary schools for reason above, until I heard Scalia say "We take clerks from HYS, because they choose the best students."

Then, I remembered that that douche is gonna die soon, and we'll have Sotomayor for another 20 years, at least I hope. Hells yeah!

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm

So you're saying that two people on seperate campuses, one a tour guide, called your father a murderer for being in Vietnam? I went to a state school at least as liberal as Berkeley and I've never heard anyone speak poorly of individuals in the military, let alone call them a "baby-killer."

I mean no disrespect, but it's really hard for me to believe that a tour guide actually ragged on your father for being a vet.

If this is true, then that's awful and I'm really sorry, but I wouldn't use that as a basis for a big generalization that T-14 schools look down on people who did not go to an Ivy. And this is coming from someone from a non-prestigious state school.

Edit: I wanted to add that while I don't think the school themselves look down on people who did not go to an ivy, that doesn't mean that those types of places don't attract more assholes than usual (though, honestly, I don't really put Berkeley in that category. Yale, definitely).
Last edited by RSterling on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, the hope is that people mature by graduate school, but I understand your frustrations.

As for the Ivy preference for top law schools, they're really only taking the tip top of those Ivies, so it kind of makes sense although it's not completely fair. I'm speculating that the top 5-10% of the ivies/top UGs get into the elite law schools while the top 1% of other schools get in. I think the idea is that those who went to more rigorous UGs are more prepared for the workload at a top law school. As someone who transferred to an elite college, I will say there is a HUGE difference in quality of education and rigor at these schools. But that's not to say that those students who didn't go to an elite college can't adjust to an elite law school, it's just a bigger risk. There's also the advantage of having better prof recs and research opportunities if you go to a prestigious undergrad which = prettier resume.
Last edited by ssanonymous on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Last edited by chickpea on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

whereskyle wrote:

I purposefully desired to avoid the legendary schools for reason above, until I heard Scalia say "We take clerks from HYS, because they choose the best students."

Then, I remembered that that douche is gonna die soon, and we'll have Sotomayor for another 20 years, at least I hope. Hells yeah!
these two posts are amazing

so thank you for that because otherwise I feel pretty shitty right now

(I'm sick and can't go to the gym and that, combined with all of this and exams coming up, has me down :cry: )
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

whereskyle wrote: I purposefully desired to avoid the legendary schools for reason above, until I heard Scalia say "We take clerks from HYS, because they choose the best students."

Scalia did say, "we," and looking at the clerks every year, it is not just him.

Are you gonna be the DBags celebrating his death like those who celebrated thatchers?

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mambar

New

Post by mambar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Last edited by mambar on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:
ssanonymous wrote: I think Berkeley (where AA is illegal) asks about the education background of your parents and the income level of your family while growing up.
I didn't end up applying to Berkeley but I checked out their financial aid application or that part of it at least and I was pretty impressed by the questions it asked. Things like "what percentage of your high school class went to college," etc; multiple quantifiable factors that actually correlate pretty well with socioeconomic status (and to some degree with race ethnicity).

The whole LS process would be more fair if all schools used something like that, I think.
I mean, I think they should add it to the process and not totally replace what they have going with URMs because there is VERY LITTLE racial diversity in top law schools. I used to judge the percentages from my undergrad until I saw the law school stats. Law in general is still a very elite, white, male institution.
Agreed in general but I think this would still capture URM's while giving a boost to people who are actually overcoming a relative lack of the cultural and/or financial capital that makes it easier to adjust to elite institutions...

I say this as someone who would benefit HUGELY from strictly income-based affirmative action, but not quite as much from a more holistic assessment that scored an applicant's socio-economic background based on family's ethnicity, immigration status, public health indicators in your congressional district or zipcode or whatever, average level of educational attainment for people who graduated from the same program in your high school (to account for the "school-within-a-school" effect that will be familiar to anyone who attended a large urban high school with a small AP track), and so on.

Again, I'm totally on board with some degree of racial/ethnic AA, but I think the present system does more to hurt poor people of all races than a system like the one I suggest would do to hurt people from any background. Or to put it in positive rather than negative terms, it would be better for everyone.
Last edited by BalanceCare on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
whereskyle wrote: I purposefully desired to avoid the legendary schools for reason above, until I heard Scalia say "We take clerks from HYS, because they choose the best students."

Are you gonna be the DBags celebrating his death like those who celebrated thatchers?
ROSENBERG IS DEAD! (Sorry. Read the Pelican Brief recently.)

siredwrdross

New

Post by siredwrdross » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:12 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

MOTM is my hero.

eph

Bronze

Post by eph » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Just stop. Wrong place wrong time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Definitely will not celebrate Scalia's death, although the "They choose the best students" statement is ridiculous and unsubstantiated. Further kudos to Sotomayor for choosing a student from Brooklyn Law. Point made.

puppiespaws

New

Post by puppiespaws » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, this thread took an interesting turn lol.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm

RSterling Can't believe you just outed yourself as going to Boulder like that (kidding)

Uconn you kinda merged stories. In the first one prospective students made unsightly comments about your father. It seems unfair to judge Boalt for what students on the tour said, being as anyone with a pulse can take a tour.

In the second your father said something incredibly bold to a Yale student giving your family a tour. You neglected to say what the tour guide said that precipitated that and I think that would help give weight to your complaint.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm

wert3813 wrote:RSterling Can't believe you just outed yourself as going to Boulder like that (kidding)

Uconn you kinda merged stories. In the first one prospective students made unsightly comments about your father. It seems unfair to judge Boalt for what students on the tour said, being as anyone with a pulse can take a tour.

In the second your father said something incredibly bold to a Yale student giving your family a tour. You neglected to say what the tour guide said that precipitated that and I think that would help give weight to your complaint.
yeah i'm reserving judgment until i know what the yls tour guide said. my dad's a vet, but if he were to ask those questions just to embarrass someone, i'd be upset with him. (of course, it's very possible that the tour guide said something very insulting, and if so, your dad rocks)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:22 pm

many speculations, errant perceptions, stereotypes, and heavily anecdotal accounts are being thrown around right now.

The generalization that elite private schools and top publics like cal or uva are snobbish is largely outdated and unfair. top 4 private lib arts school grad here, my classmates were incredibly diverse (albeit more racially than economically) and respectful almost to a point of fault of all sorts of individuals. our queer community was stronger than our greek life. More than half the kids had generous scholarships to attend, so it wasn't simply a trust fund brigade. You can find those people if you look, but there are so many others each with a unique contribution. If anything, there was a strong intellectual bias against ignorance which came off as condescending at times, but the typical identification of expensive private school with wealthy snobbish white students from wealthy snobbish white families is largely historical, even at yale.

as for law school admissions, we all know all the metrics are fucked. but what are you going to do about it?

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 pm

wert3813 wrote:RSterling Can't believe you just outed yourself as going to Boulder like that (kidding)
Ha. Not Boulder, but a solid guess.

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm

RSterling wrote:

So you're saying that two people on seperate campuses, one a tour guide, called your father a murderer for being in Vietnam? I went to a state school at least as liberal as Berkeley and I've never heard anyone speak poorly of individuals in the military, let alone call them a "baby-killer."

I mean no disrespect, but it's really hard for me to believe that a tour guide actually ragged on your father for being a vet.

If this is true, then that's awful and I'm really sorry, but I wouldn't use that as a basis for a big generalization that T-14 schools look down on people who did not go to an Ivy. And this is coming from someone from a non-prestigious state school.

Edit: I wanted to add that while I don't think the school themselves look down on people who did not go to an ivy, that doesn't mean that those types of places don't attract more assholes than usual (though, honestly, I don't really put Berkeley in that category. Yale, definitely).

1. The kids at Berkley, I don't believe they ment it. but it was the attitude (Baby killer comment). hard to put into words here. I was just being a little provacative, to see what they would say.
2. the guide at Yale made a comment about the war in iraq and said made some bad remarks about both Presidents named Bush. which i thought was in poor taste. He also made a comment to my dad that made my dad tense up, I didn't here what he said, only my dads reply. My dad would not talk about it.

3. I just think it is a bias that gives those who went the the Top UG schools the get "nod", if all things being equal. especially if you are a competing with an IVY and both are boarderline canadates. IMHO.

My dad is a quiet soft spoken guy, but when upset, gives you that LOOK, talks to you in a low voice that freezes you in place and speaking from experience scares the hell out of you.

Just letting my frustration out is all....i knew going in that stanford was a longshot. just pissed at some of the others down the line.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm

URM Total
21 - 65 - 12-13
14 - 65 - 11-12
13 - 53 - 10-11
10 - 62 - 09-10

maybe 1/3(65) acceptances left and LSN is getting way more popular among admits or maybe more URMs are properly selecting themselves as URM on LSN, who knows..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”