Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cnk

Re: Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby cnk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 pm

jme91 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the may program wait list? I'm wondering how long they will make us wait this out since orientation is may 21

Nope...im still waiting too

Mznyc1

Postby Mznyc1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Has anyone who received the email on Monday about the May program heard anything since?

cnk

Postby cnk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Mznyc1 wrote:Has anyone who received the email on Monday about the May program heard anything since?

What email?

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

cnk wrote:
Mznyc1 wrote:Has anyone who received the email on Monday about the May program heard anything since?

What email?

.... yes, what email

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:02 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:
cnk wrote:

What email?

.... yes, what email

The email with all the details...books, classes etc.

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 am

patienunderstanding wrote:
nwlawschool2013 wrote:
cnk wrote:

What email?

.... yes, what email

The email with all the details...books, classes etc.

Oh. I'm waitlisted. I guess that email was only to those accepted. :cry:

Candyzkas2

Postby Candyzkas2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Anyone know how long Dozo will negotiate? I've payed the seat deposit for the fall with 25k per year. Additionally, is there leverage to negotiate between paying in state at UNC? I'm wondering if Dozo would be willing to give more $$ since UNC would be much less expensive for me. Thanks for any answers! :)

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:56 am

Candyzkas2 wrote:Anyone know how long Dozo will negotiate? I've payed the seat deposit for the fall with 25k per year. Additionally, is there leverage to negotiate between paying in state at UNC? I'm wondering if Dozo would be willing to give more $$ since UNC would be much less expensive for me. Thanks for any answers! :)

I had same concern- Dean told me if i deposited I'd hear about scholarship raise within a couple of weeks. Couple of weeks went by, didn't hear. I emailed asking, he replied telling me I was basically shit out of luck unless i deposit again. Brooklyn gave me 41k/yr and Cardozo wouldnt raise me a dime over 25. Needless to say, I withdrew from Cardozo after burning $300 to the ground

assheawaits

Postby assheawaits » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 am

Shredmeister,

I'm in the same boat as you. Got 25k from Cardozo Nd 41k from Brooklyn. Emailed dean and he said nothing until second deposit and even then they might not have anything. Burned the deposit as well. Seems like Brooklyn it is!

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Sooo,

anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of deferring Fall (2013) start to a May (2014) start?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Candyzkas2 wrote:Anyone know how long Dozo will negotiate? I've payed the seat deposit for the fall with 25k per year. Additionally, is there leverage to negotiate between paying in state at UNC? I'm wondering if Dozo would be willing to give more $$ since UNC would be much less expensive for me. Thanks for any answers! :)

You should go to UNC! It is a no-brainer if it is cheaper than Cardozo because it places 68% of its students into long-term full-time legal jobs while Cardozo only placed 53% of its students into long-term full-time legal jobs. Plus if you are in-state I am guessing you have connections to NC which will help you get a job there. You should seriously reconsider choosing Cardozo over UNC in-state. If Cardozo gives you a full-ride and UNC is at sticker, then maybe Cardozo could make sense. But why pay more for a significantly lower chance of getting a legal job?

Candyzkas2

Postby Candyzkas2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

You should go to UNC! It is a no-brainer if it is cheaper than Cardozo because it places 68% of its students into long-term full-time legal jobs while Cardozo only placed 53% of its students into long-term full-time legal jobs. Plus if you are in-state I am guessing you have connections to NC which will help you get a job there. You should seriously reconsider choosing Cardozo over UNC in-state. If Cardozo gives you a full-ride and UNC is at sticker, then maybe Cardozo could make sense. But why pay more for a significantly lower chance of getting a legal job?

I went to UNC for undergrad and live in Charlotte so I'm ready to get out of NC. I have friends who go to UNC and most of the job prospects are limited to NC.

cnk

Postby cnk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Candyzkas2 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

I went to UNC for undergrad and live in Charlotte so I'm ready to get out of NC. I have friends who go to UNC and most of the job prospects are limited to NC.

You can always relocate after a year or two working in NC as an attorney. It will be much easier to secure job placement than in nyc- youll be competing with columbia nyu and fordham.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm

"Held" today after being sent a "please apply!" email two weeks ago. More than a little annoyed as I'm above the medians was promised an expedited decision either way.

Mznyc1

Postby Mznyc1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:04 pm

For those recently accepted to the May program, how were you notified with the decision?

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:39 am

Waitlisted yesturday

senoritaj4

Postby senoritaj4 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 am

cnk wrote:
jme91 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the may program wait list? I'm wondering how long they will make us wait this out since orientation is may 21

Nope...im still waiting too

Got an email yesterday, asking if I'm still interested. Sent LOCI as they said I should and updated resume....

No decision as of yet, still on waitlist

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Can anyone speak to the quality of the student body @ Cardozo?

How many kids are thrilled to be there i.e., it was their top choice/highest potential?

How many are reluctant to be there i.e., wanted higher--maybe Fordham/BU--but settled for the extra money?

How many turned down sticker big debt at t-14s and think they are too good to be there but go for free?

What is the true cultural climate? Competition? With such a large student body, what are prof/student relations actually like?

How dog-eat-dog is it to be top 10% / 15% / 25%?

I can't visit the school, so it's impossible for me to get a real grasp on these things...

loisaida

Postby loisaida » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 pm

well.let's.see wrote:Can anyone speak to the quality of the student body @ Cardozo?

How many kids are thrilled to be there i.e., it was their top choice/highest potential?

How many are reluctant to be there i.e., wanted higher--maybe Fordham/BU--but settled for the extra money?

How many turned down sticker big debt at t-14s and think they are too good to be there but go for free?

What is the true cultural climate? Competition? With such a large student body, what are prof/student relations actually like?

I can't visit the school, so it's impossible for me to get a real grasp on these things...

Current student here- I'll try to help out.

To be fully honest, people never really talk about how much money they were given, if they have a full ride, no money at all, or where else they were accepted. I've never asked someone, and I've also never disclosed on my end. I think that, in it of itself, should help answer some of your questions about the general atmosphere. I never heard someone talking about turning down a T14 acceptance, although I'm sure some people did. I've heard some people say it was their first choice, I've heard others allude to being accepted to higher-ranked schools; but it's never really been with any reluctance. I think most people are happy with Cardozo and their decision to attend that particular law school.

Everyone is quite congenial, besides obviously sometimes being grumpy about being in your first year of law school. We know we're ranked in the middle of the pack. There are folks who have a couple more years out who are more into networking and know what they want to do, some people have family ties, others are still in the undergrad phase- but it's all over the place (I assume, like every other law school). The school is pretty diverse and I felt it was more diverse than other schools I visited but that's just my personal opinion. A lot of people are from the tri-state area or east coast, but there are a surprising amount of people from out of state too.

I've had a lot of classmates e-mail notes when I've missed class, occasionally people will post them on facebook, and share old outlines or practice problems. Also, the 2Ls and 3Ls love to help out 1Ls. Some people study together, others don't but it's really not that competitive. After first 1L semester, people got a little gunnerish the first couple weeks back but that's calmed down- I think it was more of a reaction to grades than competition. I think it's more a personal gunner type attitude if that makes sense- no one ever actively tries to bring each other down they just focus on their own grades rather than anyone else's. I have also heard any sort of competitiveness (of which there isn't much) disappears by the second year. The curve changes and people do their own thing.

The class size sounds big, but it definitely doesn't feel like that after a couple months. Some classes are small, some are big. Most profs will memorize your names within a week, especially if it's a small class. They all have office hours and are pretty accessible and happy to talk to students.

Hope that helps!

cutebookwormxoxo

Postby cutebookwormxoxo » Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 pm

loisaida wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:Can anyone speak to the quality of the student body @ Cardozo?

Current student here- I'll try to help out.

To be fully honest, people never really talk about how much money they were given, if they have a full ride, no money at all, or where else they were accepted. I've never asked someone, and I've also never disclosed on my end. I think that, in it of itself, should help answer some of your questions about the general atmosphere. I never heard someone talking about turning down a T14 acceptance, although I'm sure some people did. I've heard some people say it was their first choice, I've heard others allude to being accepted to higher-ranked schools; but it's never really been with any reluctance. I think most people are happy with Cardozo and their decision to attend that particular law school.

Everyone is quite congenial, besides obviously sometimes being grumpy about being in your first year of law school. We know we're ranked in the middle of the pack. There are folks who have a couple more years out who are more into networking and know what they want to do, some people have family ties, others are still in the undergrad phase- but it's all over the place (I assume, like every other law school). The school is pretty diverse and I felt it was more diverse than other schools I visited but that's just my personal opinion. A lot of people are from the tri-state area or east coast, but there are a surprising amount of people from out of state too.

I've had a lot of classmates e-mail notes when I've missed class, occasionally people will post them on facebook, and share old outlines or practice problems. Also, the 2Ls and 3Ls love to help out 1Ls. Some people study together, others don't but it's really not that competitive. After first 1L semester, people got a little gunnerish the first couple weeks back but that's calmed down- I think it was more of a reaction to grades than competition. I think it's more a personal gunner type attitude if that makes sense- no one ever actively tries to bring each other down they just focus on their own grades rather than anyone else's. I have also heard any sort of competitiveness (of which there isn't much) disappears by the second year. The curve changes and people do their own thing.

The class size sounds big, but it definitely doesn't feel like that after a couple months. Some classes are small, some are big. Most profs will memorize your names within a week, especially if it's a small class. They all have office hours and are pretty accessible and happy to talk to students.

Hope that helps!

That sounds pretty good to me. :)

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for that.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 am

was just WL. This is very funny, as they waitlisted me months ago for the May program and when I asked that my WL status will be moved to fall start they said they cannot do that and then put my file back in the pot and I was complete up until now. I joined the WL to see how things go there, but I don't know why they WL me again. Since I am also WL at Fordahm, it makes things kind of interesting.

Ms. B

Postby Ms. B » Fri May 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Anyone else on here starting in May? Moving in a week and getting super excited :D

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri May 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Last edited by patienunderstanding on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babyxballerina

Postby babyxballerina » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:
Ms. B wrote:Anyone else on here starting in May? Moving in a week and getting super excited :D

Im starting in May. Less than 3 weeks left :D

I am too. :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”