Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nwlawschool2013

Re: Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

ANYONE WHO APPLIED FOR MAY-START: Who's heard back & what were your numbers? Anyone waitlisted?

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

in with 28K. do they come up if you negotiate?

PinkLennon

Postby PinkLennon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:ANYONE WHO APPLIED FOR MAY-START: Who's heard back & what were your numbers? Anyone waitlisted?

I have. Heard nothing yet. You?

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 pm

I'd like to play a bit of a hypothetical game since I don't know much about the NY law school scene but Cardozo has some things that interest me. How much cheaper would Cardozo have to be for someone than Fordham for them to want to attend? Or is there a way slimmer difference between the two? I feel like they are pretty readily comparable, unless it's better to look at like Cardozo vs Brooklyn and put Fordham on a sub T14 sad island.

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm

PinkLennon wrote:
nwlawschool2013 wrote:ANYONE WHO APPLIED FOR MAY-START: Who's heard back & what were your numbers? Anyone waitlisted?

Nothing yet but my application just went complete on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll hurry it along because it's a May start.

cutebookwormxoxo

Postby cutebookwormxoxo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Are there people getting phone calls but not getting money?

cnk

Postby cnk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:
PinkLennon wrote:

Nothing yet but my application just went complete on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll hurry it along because it's a May start.

Nothing, and I've been "complete and under review" since 11/20/12.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

cutebookwormxoxo wrote:Are there people getting phone calls but not getting money?

I did but they just didn't talk about money. I called back to ask and they told me of the money

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm

romanticegotist wrote:I'd like to play a bit of a hypothetical game since I don't know much about the NY law school scene but Cardozo has some things that interest me. How much cheaper would Cardozo have to be for someone than Fordham for them to want to attend? Or is there a way slimmer difference between the two? I feel like they are pretty readily comparable, unless it's better to look at like Cardozo vs Brooklyn and put Fordham on a sub T14 sad island.

I am confused by Fordham's page on LST but looking at the ABA format, Fordham and Cardozo seem comparable. Upon closer inspection, Fordham places twice as many (proportionally) into biglaw, which indicates that the jobs people get out of Cardozo are in general not as desirable or high paying as those you might get out of Fordham.

This is not meant to be anti-Cardozo trolling at all--I did not even apply to Fordham because they are stingy as fuck and I am full ride or bust if I can't get into a better NYC school than Fordham.

Edit to include LST links:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fordham&show=ABA
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cardozo&show=ABA

ajax

Postby ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:I'd like to play a bit of a hypothetical game since I don't know much about the NY law school scene but Cardozo has some things that interest me. How much cheaper would Cardozo have to be for someone than Fordham for them to want to attend? Or is there a way slimmer difference between the two? I feel like they are pretty readily comparable, unless it's better to look at like Cardozo vs Brooklyn and put Fordham on a sub T14 sad island.

I am confused by Fordham's page on LST but looking at the ABA format, Fordham and Cardozo seem comparable. Upon closer inspection, Fordham places twice as many (proportionally) into biglaw, which indicates that the jobs people get out of Cardozo are in general not as desirable or high paying as those you might get out of Fordham.

This is not meant to be anti-Cardozo trolling at all--I did not even apply to Fordham because they are stingy as fuck and I am full ride or bust if I can't get into a better NYC school than Fordham.

Both of those reports are apparently inflated:

"The NALP/ABA data for individual schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, because of the leeway CSOs are given by the guidelines when reporting data. A tipoff in regard to the reliability of this data is how unrealistically complete it purports to be. Anybody who had done any sort of empirical survey knows that it's extremely difficult to get anything close to complete data. But the ABA data has no holes in it at all. For example, when you look at the 192 SHU 2011 grads with bar admission required jobs, 184 are purportedly in full-time long-term positions, while the other eight are either short-term or part-time or both. In other words, SHU is claiming to know the precise employment status of all 192 of its grads who have (or who SHU claims have) bar admission required jobs. That is extremely improbable to say the least. What happens is that the reporting guidelines allow CSOs to simply use default assumptions for missing data. The default assumption here is that a grad is employed full-time and long-term, unless the CSO has information to the contrary.

This, of course, ends up seriously overstating the number of people who actually have full-time long-term employment. Etc."

-Campos

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

Thanks. I'm a bit in the same boat. Since I don't have familiarity with the NY area/market I'm not busting my ass to get there, but if I got attractive offers from Fordham or Cardozo I wanted to know a little more. For me, honestly, my biggest worry is going anywhere but NY after school and having people go "Yeshiva University? The f**k is that?"

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Thanks. I'm a bit in the same boat. Since I don't have familiarity with the NY area/market I'm not busting my ass to get there, but if I got attractive offers from Fordham or Cardozo I wanted to know a little more. For me, honestly, my biggest worry is going anywhere but NY after school and having people go "Yeshiva University? The f**k is that?"

Its rabbi school! Duh!

Also your comment had me thinking about the preposterously simple and amazing things I miss out on to live in New York. Like, driving a car to the grocery store? That sounds like the most convenient and fun thing ever. I would find it hard to abandon that if I were an adult contemplating moving to New York.

FallingHigher

Postby FallingHigher » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Was accepted via phone call yesterday with 30k a year! I am pretty excited because I love the clinics Cardozo offers but the cost of living and remaining tuition is still too high for me. :/
Does anyone know if they negotiate scholarships? I have gotten larger offers from similarly ranked schools.

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm

cnk wrote:
nwlawschool2013 wrote:
PinkLennon wrote:

Nothing, and I've been "complete and under review" since 11/20/12.

Well, balls.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Its rabbi school! Duh!

Also your comment had me thinking about the preposterously simple and amazing things I miss out on to live in New York. Like, driving a car to the grocery store? That sounds like the most convenient and fun thing ever. I would find it hard to abandon that if I were an adult contemplating moving to New York.

Driving to do things is awesome and terrible. Traffic is so bad in Austin it actively discourages me from attempting to get anywhere sometimes. I miss being able to use a subway. That said, I can have all the alone time I need, even when traveling haha.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Driving to do things is awesome and terrible. Traffic is so bad in Austin it actively discourages me from attempting to get anywhere sometimes. I miss being able to use a subway. That said, I can have all the alone time I need, even when traveling haha.

Yeah, I mean, I'm from LA, I definitely agree, but driving to the grocery store is awesome. Anecdotal evidence: I almost fell when getting off the bus the other day carrying ~20 pounds of groceries from my twice a month Trader Joe's run. My life is still flashing before my eyes.

GeneralMuffin

Postby GeneralMuffin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Does Cardozo follow up with an acceptance email/letter in addition to the phone call (and if so, how long after)?

Mr. Muffin's status checker says "Decision Rendered and Sent" and he has a missed call from the school, but he was out of the country and voicemail did not work.

EDIT: Decision letter received. :D

jme91

Postby jme91 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Complete 1/10 for May P/T

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 am

packet received 1/12. 35,000 annual dean's scholarship. 2.95 stipulation.

bluegreen

Postby bluegreen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm

no movement whatesoever since late november when I went complete. wish theyd roll out some decisions this week

khirsh8190

Postby khirsh8190 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:03 pm

^ preach. I'm in the same spot here

lawgal2016

Postby lawgal2016 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 pm

May P/T Complete and Under Review 1/4

cutebookwormxoxo

Postby cutebookwormxoxo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I just got the phone call that I got in and I got money! :D :) :D :D :mrgreen:

tennisgirl

Postby tennisgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

cutebookwormxoxo wrote:I just got the phone call that I got in and I got money! :D :) :D :D :mrgreen:

When did you apply?

zestylemon

Postby zestylemon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm

in with money as well! applied 1/3 complete 1/4! Woo!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”