Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aresdude

Re: Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby aresdude » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 pm

babyxballerina wrote:Did you guys have updates on status checker between "Complete and Under Review" and "Decision Rendered"? I applied for May start and have been complete since 2/5 with no updates for current status date. :?

relax no need for concern, applied May start here, been waiting since 11/16 :D.

babyxballerina

Postby babyxballerina » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys! :D

pwnyc127

Postby pwnyc127 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Anyone have luck negotiating a larger scholarship for Fall start yet?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:Anyone have luck negotiating a larger scholarship for Fall start yet?

+1
and also, anyone know about places to live near the school? walking distance? with studio

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:Anyone have luck negotiating a larger scholarship for Fall start yet?

+1
and also, anyone know about places to live near the school? walking distance? with studio

I've been using this website http://www.renthop.com to look for apartments. Mostly just trying to get a general feel for how much things cost since I'm sure everything listed up there now will be gone by the time I'm ready to move up there. Everything looks pretty pricey, even for studios. For awhile I was thinking about living int he Alabama but at ASD it sounded like living there was just as expensive as a regular apartment, even for the studios (but it is right around the corner from the school). The area the school is in is really nice and has NYC price to go with it, in order to get the most bang for your buck you'd probably have to live in brooklyn, jersey, long island etc. It did seem that from ASD students were scattered all over the place, of the students I talked to there were people in the Alabama, Brooklyn, Hoboken, Greenwich, and the Upper East Side.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Psib337 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

+1

I've been using this website http://www.renthop.com to look for apartments. Mostly just trying to get a general feel for how much things cost since I'm sure everything listed up there now will be gone by the time I'm ready to move up there. Everything looks pretty pricey, even for studios. For awhile I was thinking about living int he Alabama but at ASD it sounded like living there was just as expensive as a regular apartment, even for the studios (but it is right around the corner from the school). The area the school is in is really nice and has NYC price to go with it, in order to get the most bang for your buck you'd probably have to live in brooklyn, jersey, long island etc. It did seem that from ASD students were scattered all over the place, of the students I talked to there were people in the Alabama, Brooklyn, Hoboken, Greenwich, and the Upper East Side.

ah thanks for the info. yeah I've been looking around on the web but everything seems a bit pricey haha (obviously). hoping some current students knew some "tricks of the trade" of getting cheap apartments or maybe some not too well known places ?

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:35 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Psib337 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

+1

ah thanks for the info. yeah I've been looking around on the web but everything seems a bit pricey haha (obviously). hoping some current students knew some "tricks of the trade" of getting cheap apartments or maybe some not too well known places ?

Have fun commuting daily from Connecticut...

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:07 pm

nba101790 wrote:
Have fun commuting daily from Connecticut...

I heard central park is a nice place to live. a lot of benches

babyxballerina

Postby babyxballerina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Psib337 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

+1

You're awesome. Thank you. I was looking on the site and glad I was finally able to find some studios for under $2,000/month in Greenwich Village. That makes me feel a little better. All the ones I've been finding on other sites were like $3,000/month!! :shock:

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Psib337 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

+1

Greenwich, CT? :lol:

Also, the Upper East Side is just as expensive, if not more, than Union Square, unless you're talking about Spanish Harlem...

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

lol, by Greenwich I did mean Greenwich Village, not CT (even though one day that'd be nice too). I'm not sure where on the upper east side she was, I was looking at apartments on the upper west side and they were just as expensive as the ones downtown. I don't think she was living in some Gossip Girl type of apartment, there's probably some affordable apartments up there. The way I see it if you're looking to live anywhere in Manhattan you're either going to pay a lot for rent or have roaches for roommates. Still, I've seen a few decent looking studios and 1 bedrooms for under $2,000/month.

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 am

For those looking for apartments, you can try http://streeteasy.com/

Make sure to look in all the adjacent neighborhoods. (East Village, LES, GV, Gramercy, etc)

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

sanjola wrote:
Psib337 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

+1

Greenwich, CT? :lol:

Also, the Upper East Side is just as expensive, if not more, than Union Square, unless you're talking about Spanish Harlem...

UES is actually one of the cheapest parts of Manhattan to live in, you just have to go way east to East End or York.

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:12 pm

For those of you about to embark on the crazy and extremely stressful world of finding their first apartment in Manhattan...

My two biggest suggestions:

1. Apartments in Manhattan go FAST. You don't have time to look at a bunch of places and think it over for a few days like you do in the real world. Before you look at apartments, make sure you have ALL of the paperwork ready (call a realtor or google for exact list, but it's a bunch - tax returns from parents, etc). Most landlords require you make something like 100x the rent, so most people will have to get their parents to guarantor. Anyway, you will need copies of drivers licenses, etc. Basically, you will walk into an apartment, look around for 2 mins, and then hand all the paperwork to the realtor and tell them to go. Most of the time that apartment you saw at 10AM will be gone by 4PM. If it's not happening that fast, it's either very overpriced or the building/management company has a really bad reputation. Keep that in mind as well. If it's been on the market for more than 5 days, negotiate the rent significantly.

2. You should expect to be paying one month's rent to the realtor - that is usually thousands of dollars. By-owner apartments are no fee but hard to find. Probably 98% of the "no fee" apartments really do charge a fee. My best suggestion, if you can't get find a by-owner place, is tell the realtor that they need to get the rent down enough to cover their fee - for example, if an apartment is $2000 per month, tell the realtor that they need to get the rent dropped to AT LEAST $1830 per month.

Also, keep in mind:

- most apartments go onto the market 10-15 days before the move-in date. This is terrifying to people who have never done it before, as in other parts of the country you can usually sign a lease 3 months in advance. Try not to get too stressed out. I promise you, you WILL find an apartment, you WILL have a ton to look at, and they WILL all look more or less the same.

- the higher the walk up, the cheaper the apartment. I've looked at decently large one bedrooms in Soho that were only like $1400 a month for a 7th floor walk up. That being said, a 7th floor walk up sucks.

- Craigslist will be your best friend for finding roommates. I know that sounds sketchy, but there are SO MANY kids looking to squeeze roommates into a teeny apartment in NYC that craigslist really is your best bet.

- when you move in, buy a ton of steel wool from a hardware store, and spend the first 24 hours on your hands and knees with one of those spackle spatula things jamming steel wool under your floor boards. Seriously, even if theres only like 2 centimeters between the floor boards and flooring, STUFF THAT BITCH WITH STEEL WOOL. Otherwise, you will have mice. One does not just get one mouse in NYC, or even two mice. One gets the entire extended family ransacking your apartment day and night. A nice drunk man outside a bar on Bleecker St who owns a bunch of apartment buildings once told me the only way to keep them out is by stuffing steel wool under your floor boards. This was the single best advice I have ever received in my entire life.

amf728

Postby amf728 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:For those of you about to embark on the crazy and extremely stressful world of finding their first apartment in Manhattan...

My two biggest suggestions:

1. Apartments in Manhattan go FAST. You don't have time to look at a bunch of places and think it over for a few days like you do in the real world. Before you look at apartments, make sure you have ALL of the paperwork ready (call a realtor or google for exact list, but it's a bunch - tax returns from parents, etc). Most landlords require you make something like 100x the rent, so most people will have to get their parents to guarantor. Anyway, you will need copies of drivers licenses, etc. Basically, you will walk into an apartment, look around for 2 mins, and then hand all the paperwork to the realtor and tell them to go. Most of the time that apartment you saw at 10AM will be gone by 4PM. If it's not happening that fast, it's either very overpriced or the building/management company has a really bad reputation. Keep that in mind as well. If it's been on the market for more than 5 days, negotiate the rent significantly.

2. You should expect to be paying one month's rent to the realtor - that is usually thousands of dollars. By-owner apartments are no fee but hard to find. Probably 98% of the "no fee" apartments really do charge a fee. My best suggestion, if you can't get find a by-owner place, is tell the realtor that they need to get the rent down enough to cover their fee - for example, if an apartment is $2000 per month, tell the realtor that they need to get the rent dropped to AT LEAST $1830 per month.

Also, keep in mind:

- most apartments go onto the market 10-15 days before the move-in date. This is terrifying to people who have never done it before, as in other parts of the country you can usually sign a lease 3 months in advance. Try not to get too stressed out. I promise you, you WILL find an apartment, you WILL have a ton to look at, and they WILL all look more or less the same.

- the higher the walk up, the cheaper the apartment. I've looked at decently large one bedrooms in Soho that were only like $1400 a month for a 7th floor walk up. That being said, a 7th floor walk up sucks.

- Craigslist will be your best friend for finding roommates. I know that sounds sketchy, but there are SO MANY kids looking to squeeze roommates into a teeny apartment in NYC that craigslist really is your best bet.

- when you move in, buy a ton of steel wool from a hardware store, and spend the first 24 hours on your hands and knees with one of those spackle spatula things jamming steel wool under your floor boards. Seriously, even if theres only like 2 centimeters between the floor boards and flooring, STUFF THAT BITCH WITH STEEL WOOL. Otherwise, you will have mice. One does not just get one mouse in NYC, or even two mice. One gets the entire extended family ransacking your apartment day and night. A nice drunk man outside a bar on Bleecker St who owns a bunch of apartment buildings once told me the only way to keep them out is by stuffing steel wool under your floor boards. This was the single best advice I have ever received in my entire life.

agree with everything - except I've been fortunate enough to never have to use the steel wool. Another website I've used in the past to do some recon is nybits.com. It lists (or claims to list) every single apartment building in NYC, including the boroughs. Since I am very anti broker fee, I usually use this site to find straight rental buildings where I won't have to pay fees. This site and streeteasy.com will be your best friends.

Also, pricing will go up a couple hundred $$ between now and July/August, so try not to die of sticker shock. Cheaper areas in Manhattan: UES (closer to the river, usually), Hell's Kitchen, LES, FiDi, East Village by Ave A, B , C.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 pm

None of that bothered me too much until the mice, is that just something you won't be able to avoid unless you get some crazy $5,000/month apartment? I'm not good with rodents or bugs so that's pretty much my biggest concern. I'm one of those people who has to mentally prepare to kill a spider (you know, just in case I miss and it attacks me) so my biggest concern is finding a place where I don't see roaches, mice, or rats. Is that avoidable for less than $2,000/month or should I plan on getting a few bottles of Raid?

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Psib337 wrote:None of that bothered me too much until the mice, is that just something you won't be able to avoid unless you get some crazy $5,000/month apartment? I'm not good with rodents or bugs so that's pretty much my biggest concern. I'm one of those people who has to mentally prepare to kill a spider (you know, just in case I miss and it attacks me) so my biggest concern is finding a place where I don't see roaches, mice, or rats. Is that avoidable for less than $2,000/month or should I plan on getting a few bottles of Raid?

$2,900-$3,100 will find you a decent, and clean, studio or convertible 1/1 in Murray Hill if you look around a bit.

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I go to undergrad a few blocks away from Cardozo, and I can tell you that my friends have found apartments for $1100-1400/month. And I've never heard about the mice thing as an overly widespread problem.

nwlawschool2013

Postby nwlawschool2013 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:19 am

Psib337 wrote:None of that bothered me too much until the mice, is that just something you won't be able to avoid unless you get some crazy $5,000/month apartment? I'm not good with rodents or bugs so that's pretty much my biggest concern. I'm one of those people who has to mentally prepare to kill a spider (you know, just in case I miss and it attacks me) so my biggest concern is finding a place where I don't see roaches, mice, or rats. Is that avoidable for less than $2,000/month or should I plan on getting a few bottles of Raid?

I never paid over $1600/month living in various dirty college apartments across lower Manhattan and I never had a mouse. If you're in an older apartment building, you HAVE to do the steel wool trick, and DON'T LEAVE YOUR WINDOWS OPEN 24/7 (without a screen). You'll be fine. As for bugs, sometimes they happen, never very bad in my experience. All my buildings had a monthly exterminator service you could sign up for that was free.

hyjintherye

Postby hyjintherye » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm

admitted today with monrad paulsen scholarship (full-tuition) :)

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm

In via voicemail! Pretty cool!
Last edited by kckool7 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 pm

So I received my financial aid package for my May start. I am being given an 18K loan for the first year and the rest is covered in loans. If I needed additional loans for my living expenses, how would I go about doing that?

Btw, that grant they offere is awesome. I wasn't expecting any grant or scholarship, but an 18K need based grant is definitely making this more of an option.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

sanjola wrote:Also, the Upper East Side is just as expensive, if not more, than Union Square, unless you're talking about Spanish Harlem...

Actually, UES property values have crashed thanks to the 2nd Avenue Subway that *may* be completed during my lifetime. Construction noise and the nice rat infestation that's been stirred up have been problematic. So some of the rents are cheaper up there. You get what you pay for though.

If you want cheaper and Manhattan (generally people new to the city don't dare think about living outside of it), you can try parts of the LES or uptown (Washington Heights or Inwood). Commute from uptown wouldn't be too bad because of the express trains.

Otherwise look into Brooklyn or Queens. You won't get a sub-$2000 apt near school unless you do the Alabama, which does subsidize the market rent a bit, but I still think it's a rip off compared to what you can get for less in other parts of the city.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Has anyone tried moving their WL or acceptence from may to fall start?
Did that with my WL on Monday and I'm back to complete...

cnk

Postby cnk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Has anyone tried moving their WL or acceptence from may to fall start?
Did that with my WL on Monday and I'm back to complete...

do they allow you to be reconsidered for another start time after a decision was made? i thought you could only apply once to a start time/cycle (e.g. january, may, fall)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”