Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tino1317

New

Re: Cardozo c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by tino1317 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:45 pm

babyxballerina wrote:
tino1317 wrote:I sent my app in 2/1 and have been complete and under review since 2/5. Is there another step between complete and under review and decision rendered?
Nope. I asked the same thing a while back. It goes from "complete and under review" to "decision rendered and sent".
Thanks. I probably should have just read the thread. Really hoping to get in here since I have a living arrangement that would cost me no rent. Does anyone have any insight on what role religion has at this school. I know it is a Jewish institution and the library is closed on Saturday but I have not been able to find anything regarding student body demographics outside of minority percentage. Are there many orthodox at this school? I am non religious but raised catholic and I'm trying to figure out if there is a decent emphasis on religion. I am very respectful and tolerant of all religions and walks of life but I don't want to be "that guy" who isn't religious. I haven't been able to find any current Cardozo 1L's on TLS.

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm

tino1317 wrote:
babyxballerina wrote: Thanks. I probably should have just read the thread. Really hoping to get in here since I have a living arrangement that would cost me no rent. Does anyone have any insight on what role religion has at this school. I know it is a Jewish institution and the library is closed on Saturday but I have not been able to find anything regarding student body demographics outside of minority percentage. Are there many orthodox at this school? I am non religious but raised catholic and I'm trying to figure out if there is a decent emphasis on religion. I am very respectful and tolerant of all religions and walks of life but I don't want to be "that guy" who isn't religious. I haven't been able to find any current Cardozo 1L's on TLS.
I have two friends who went to Cardozo. One is Jewish but not practicing and the other is an atheist with Christian parents. No idea what the demographics are but both told me there is diversity. Probably more Jewish students than other schools but it's not close to all Jewish, as far as I've been told.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 pm

fredmerz wrote:
tino1317 wrote:
babyxballerina wrote: Thanks. I probably should have just read the thread. Really hoping to get in here since I have a living arrangement that would cost me no rent. Does anyone have any insight on what role religion has at this school. I know it is a Jewish institution and the library is closed on Saturday but I have not been able to find anything regarding student body demographics outside of minority percentage. Are there many orthodox at this school? I am non religious but raised catholic and I'm trying to figure out if there is a decent emphasis on religion. I am very respectful and tolerant of all religions and walks of life but I don't want to be "that guy" who isn't religious. I haven't been able to find any current Cardozo 1L's on TLS.
I have two friends who went to Cardozo. One is Jewish but not practicing and the other is an atheist with Christian parents. No idea what the demographics are but both told me there is diversity. Probably more Jewish students than other schools but it's not close to all Jewish, as far as I've been told.
I know many many Jewish kids who went and go to Cardozo. You can't escape it. I have yet to visit but I would def say it's part of the culture. It's one of those 'it is what it is' issues. I don't think it's a huge part of the school but TBH one of the things that attracks me to Cardozo is the fact that I'll get EVERY Jewish holiday off :D

pwnyc127

New

Post by pwnyc127 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Anybody have luck negotiating a better scholarship?

cutebookwormxoxo

New

Post by cutebookwormxoxo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:Anybody have luck negotiating a better scholarship?
I think they're waiting until the end of the month/beginning of April to start getting offers. They seem really willing to negotiate though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm

cutebookwormxoxo wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:Anybody have luck negotiating a better scholarship?
I think they're waiting until the end of the month/beginning of April to start getting offers. They seem really willing to negotiate though
I feel like with their fancy/pretty packaging they must have a decent amount of cash on their hands

aresdude

Bronze

Post by aresdude » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Whose going to the ASD this week? We should have some way of recognizing other TLS people :]

babyxballerina

Bronze

Post by babyxballerina » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm

How long did it take to get your acceptance packet in the mail? Did anybody get ANY money for the may program? :?

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Anybody know if they offer on-campus housing in the Alabama for May Start??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:10 pm

jayman12 wrote:Anybody know if they offer on-campus housing in the Alabama for May Start??
I believe their website stays that housing for may start is very very limited.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 am

Do you guys think they will negotiate with an offer from w&l?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Do you guys think they will negotiate with an offer from w&l?
I would say yes but not highly. People go to Cardozo and W&L for very different reasons.
That said, I think I was WL at Cardozo because I sent them an email asking about decision for may start and said I was in at W&L. That said, all turned out well because I can't imagine starting school next month.

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:13 am

Anyone went to the ASD on thursday? Reactions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aresdude

Bronze

Post by aresdude » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 pm

ASD was awesome. I was really engaged in the sample property class. Was anyone in the small group where I asked the students if any of them were on TLS and nobody knew what TLS was (except 1 prospective student)?

In regards to people wondering about scholarship money:

At the dinner reception I spoke with Dean Martinidez and he explained that he can't really take money from St. John's into account because of the 40% stipulation. He also said he can't really take Brooklyn and St. John's into account because both had huge drops in the USNWR and will be handing out huge sums of money to try to recover. If you are trying to negotiate, you should probably use different schools (I only applied NYC :\).

I felt it was an awkward conversation to say the least - but he was kind about it. I like the guy.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm

aresdude wrote:ASD was awesome. I was really engaged in the sample property class. Was anyone in the small group where I asked the students if any of them were on TLS and nobody knew what TLS was (except 1 prospective student)?

At the dinner reception I spoke with Dean Martinidez and he explained that he can't really take money from St. John's into account because of the 40% stipulation. He also said he can't really take Brooklyn and St. John's into account because both had huge drops in the USNWR and will be handing out huge sums of money to try to recover. If you are trying to negotiate, you should probably use different schools (I only applied NYC :\).

I felt it was an awkward conversation to say the least - but he was kind about it. I like the guy.
I'm assuming that those are the kids who pay sticker..... :shock:

hoogs23

Bronze

Post by hoogs23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm

aresdude wrote:ASD was awesome. I was really engaged in the sample property class. Was anyone in the small group where I asked the students if any of them were on TLS and nobody knew what TLS was (except 1 prospective student)?

What schools do they negotiate with then?

babyxballerina

Bronze

Post by babyxballerina » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 pm

hoogs23 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 pm

babyxballerina wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:

While people on TLS may poke fun at "bozo" - the school thinks very highly of itself and its "specialty" ranking.

If you want to negotiate with them you better bring forth an offer from a higher ranked school. Even though they are ranked in the 50's, they rarely entertain offers from schools in their USNWR range or below.

hoogs23

Bronze

Post by hoogs23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:46 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
babyxballerina wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:

While people on TLS may poke fun at "bozo" - the school thinks very highly of itself and its "specialty" ranking.

If you want to negotiate with them you better bring forth an offer from a higher ranked school. Even though they are ranked in the 50's, they rarely entertain offers from schools in their USNWR range or below.
sounds good to me. most schools I applied to are ranked higher

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
babyxballerina wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:

Kind of rightly so. They have no reason to negotiate with regional schools in the 40s ad 50s because unlike those school, the top 20% at Cardozo have a good chance at NYC biglaw while the same can't be said about top 20% at Colorado for example. I think they look less at the specialty rankings - which is a good selling point for non TLSers and others who don't kow much about LS - and more about their NYC reputation, which as much as TLS loves to knock down Cardozo is good. So, if you being them a full ride offer or even half or cose to haf ride from a school in the 40s and 50s which is clearly a regional school and they ask you: Okay X, so why do you want to come to Cardozo? And you tell them it's because you want to practice in NYC they proved their point. The chances of you getting that from the other school are very slim. Amid the challenges of Cardozo, they are at a much better place to deliver NYC than the other school. Just my 2c

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
babyxballerina wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:

Kind of rightly so. They have no reason to negotiate with regional schools in the 40s ad 50s because unlike those school, the top 20% at Cardozo have a good chance at NYC biglaw while the same can't be said about top 20% at Colorado for example. I think they look less at the specialty rankings - which is a good selling point for non TLSers and others who don't kow much about LS - and more about their NYC reputation, which as much as TLS loves to knock down Cardozo is good. So, if you being them a full ride offer or even half or cose to haf ride from a school in the 40s and 50s which is clearly a regional school and they ask you: Okay X, so why do you want to come to Cardozo? And you tell them it's because you want to practice in NYC they proved their point. The chances of you getting that from the other school are very slim. Amid the challenges of Cardozo, they are at a much better place to deliver NYC than the other school. Just my 2c
+1 They dont have many peers school (only Fordham).

NYC is either T14, Dozo or Ford, and TTTT with horrible stipulations.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LetsGoRangers

New

Post by LetsGoRangers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 pm

I find it really surprising that Dozo doesn't negotiate schollies from BLS. It is pretty lame they due this on the count of USNWR rankings. I think Dozo's truest peer school is BLS.

I am from NYC and have spoken to many lawyers about the two schools. Although this is pretty anecdotal most lawyers view them as the same caliber of school and some even considered BLS the better school. (These are booomer lawyers for the most part though FWIW) They are okay schools if you want to stay in NYC but using the USNWR report to pick a school is silly. Go to the school that is the best fit for for you and reduces the amount of debt. I would not pay that much more to go to Dozo over BLS.

Edit: Most Boomers did not have the option of attending Cardozo bc it's a newer school.
Last edited by LetsGoRangers on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoRangers

New

Post by LetsGoRangers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 pm

CLS/NYU->T14->Fordham->BLS/Dozo is the hierarchy

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 pm

LetsGoRangers wrote:I find it really surprising that Dozo doesn't negotiate schollies from BLS. It is pretty lame they due this on the count of USNWR rankings. I think Dozo's truest peer school is BLS.

I am from NYC and have spoken to many lawyers about the two schools. Although this is pretty anecdotal most lawyers view them as the same caliber of school and some even considered BLS the better school. (These are booomer lawyers for the most part though FWIW) They are okay schools if you want to stay in NYC but using the USNWR report to pick a school is silly. Go to the school that is the best fit for for you and reduces the amount of debt. I would not pay that much more to go to Dozo over BLS.

Edit: Most Boomers did not have the option of attending Cardozo bc it's a newer school.
The thing is, it doesn't really matter what those lawyers things unless they are hiring partners. Everything I'v read and with everyone iv talked to, hiring partners do not see the two schools the same.

LetsGoRangers

New

Post by LetsGoRangers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:17 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
LetsGoRangers wrote:I find it really surprising that Dozo doesn't negotiate schollies from BLS. It is pretty lame they due this on the count of USNWR rankings. I think Dozo's truest peer school is BLS.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter what those lawyers things unless they are hiring partners. Everything I'v read and with everyone iv talked to, hiring partners do not see the two schools the same.
Yes they were hiring partners from NYC law firms. My dad is a senior partner at a well-respected midsized firm. Not trying to be an ass just trying to impart that I have valuable wisdom on the subject. I have some pretty sound advice from some lawlyers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”