University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

curious66 wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Judging from craigslist that certainly sounds possible. Are you going to actually try and sign a contract? Isnt it a bit early?


I don't plan on signing anything until the end of this month at the earliest. I just wanted to get down there and get a general feel/idea where I want to live. It is only a couple hour drive for me so its not a huge inconvenience.


During my tour, they highlight Hyde Park as a great place for Law School students. Some students stay a bit more away like at the Triangle (apartments there), but that is a bit of a drive.


A decent amount of students live at the Triangle. It's ~2.5 miles away from the school and a 5-10 minute drive.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

Doesn't driving to campus become quite expensive though? Parking is kind of a pain and permits aren't cheap, right? Or is it still cheaper than living closer?

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby curious66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

BigZuck wrote:Doesn't driving to campus become quite expensive though? Parking is kind of a pain and permits aren't cheap, right? Or is it still cheaper than living closer?


Parking was a pain even on my few hour visit. I'm sure folks who know it know the secrets and get permits or whatever, but the weather in Austin was SO INCREDIBLY NICE that it was great to walk around. Many of the hyde park homes are on a bus route (again from the tour guide), so that is a an option. The Triangle area has some nice restaurants around it.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dkb17xzx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Thats interesting and sad to hear, I really loved the huge drop in the class size last year. Wonder if they'll be able to maintain their 167 median?



probably not...seen a bunch of 166 acceptances (including yours truly). i think it'll slip a point. they did a great job last year by dropping class sizes and maintaining 167.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am

BigZuck wrote:Doesn't driving to campus become quite expensive though? Parking is kind of a pain and permits aren't cheap, right? Or is it still cheaper than living closer?

Depending on how far away you live, I would recommend investing in a good bike.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby curious66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Thats interesting and sad to hear, I really loved the huge drop in the class size last year. Wonder if they'll be able to maintain their 167 median?



probably not...seen a bunch of 166 acceptances (including yours truly). i think it'll slip a point. they did a great job last year by dropping class sizes and maintaining 167.


Given the massive drop in applicants -- I think many schools will drop medians outside of HYS , Columbia and NYU. There are only so many high numbers to go around.

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby letitloose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am

Any other NYC-ers get an email last night from Dean Ingram asking if you'd like to interview w/ her in NYC later this month?

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Thats interesting and sad to hear, I really loved the huge drop in the class size last year. Wonder if they'll be able to maintain their 167 median?



probably not...seen a bunch of 166 acceptances (including yours truly). i think it'll slip a point. they did a great job last year by dropping class sizes and maintaining 167.


Yeah I agree, looking at the acceptances on LSN this year there appears to be lower LSAT/GPAs being admitted then previous years. It'll be interesting to see where the medians end up for the top schools with the drop in applicants.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Thats interesting and sad to hear, I really loved the huge drop in the class size last year. Wonder if they'll be able to maintain their 167 median?



probably not...seen a bunch of 166 acceptances (including yours truly). i think it'll slip a point. they did a great job last year by dropping class sizes and maintaining 167.


Yeah I agree, looking at the acceptances on LSN this year there appears to be lower LSAT/GPAs being admitted then previous years. It'll be interesting to see where the medians end up for the top schools with the drop in applicants.

Well, I can't speak for GPAs, but LSATs have been generally lower in the past few tests, correct?

h2opolo
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby h2opolo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

Rejected today via email. Kinda upset I didn't even get a waitlist offer!!
164 4.0 non-resident, non-urm

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am

h2opolo wrote:Rejected today via email. Kinda upset I didn't even get a waitlist offer!!
164 4.0 non-resident, non-urm

With your GPA, that's surprising!

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

BigZuck wrote:Doesn't driving to campus become quite expensive though? Parking is kind of a pain and permits aren't cheap, right? Or is it still cheaper than living closer?


When I was in undergrad , permits for the parking garages ran around $500 for the year. You could get parking for the C lots for around $100 but those lots would fill up really fast so you didnt have a guaranteed spot. I bet its more expensive now, since that was 4 years ago.

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

JXander wrote:
md22 wrote:
JXander wrote:So today I spoke to a 2L at the firm in which I work here in Austin. He said that prospects for getting into TX are very high all across the board. Apparently, the rumor is that the Dean is making Admissions make the incoming class a minimum of 350 students. Rejoice, my fellow splitters.


Interesting...I wonder if a reverse splitter like me (164/3.82) will have a shot. Here's to hoping! :D

If your softs are strong enough, I think you'll be okay. When did you submit?

To all apartment seekers...
Provided my interview goes well and I am accepted, I may stay in my apartment in Austin and will be in need of a roommate. I live about 15 minutes from the school (30 minutes with traffic). Nothing is final right now of course, but if you would like any details, feel free to PM me.



Do you know what apartments are dog friendly?? In case the interview goes well my number one priority is my dog ahha

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am

h2opolo wrote:Rejected today via email. Kinda upset I didn't even get a waitlist offer!!
164 4.0 non-resident, non-urm


Wow I'm suprised, theres been some reverse splitters that got acceptances, but maybe they were residents..Sorry to hear that!

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
curious66 wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Judging from craigslist that certainly sounds possible. Are you going to actually try and sign a contract? Isnt it a bit early?


I don't plan on signing anything until the end of this month at the earliest. I just wanted to get down there and get a general feel/idea where I want to live. It is only a couple hour drive for me so its not a huge inconvenience.


During my tour, they highlight Hyde Park as a great place for Law School students. Some students stay a bit more away like at the Triangle (apartments there), but that is a bit of a drive.


A decent amount of students live at the Triangle. It's ~2.5 miles away from the school and a 5-10 minute drive.


Is the triangle on a bus route?

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 am

timeandspace11 wrote:A decent amount of students live at the Triangle. It's ~2.5 miles away from the school and a 5-10 minute drive.

Is the triangle on a bus route?


Yeah its right next to the intramural fields, so its right on the bus route.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby curious66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:A decent amount of students live at the Triangle. It's ~2.5 miles away from the school and a 5-10 minute drive.

Is the triangle on a bus route?

Yeah its right next to the intermural fields, so its right on the bus route.


Found this site: http://www.utstudent.com/ might be helpful in figuring out apartments on the bus route.

andygreen12
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby andygreen12 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Did anyone else who is waiting on a decision get the NYC interview invite email?

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby letitloose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm

andygreen12 wrote:Did anyone else who is waiting on a decision get the NYC interview invite email?

Yep. Asked the same question a few posts up.

User avatar
Bucketseat
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Bucketseat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm

ndel21 wrote:
JXander wrote:
md22 wrote:
JXander wrote:So today I spoke to a 2L at the firm in which I work here in Austin. He said that prospects for getting into TX are very high all across the board. Apparently, the rumor is that the Dean is making Admissions make the incoming class a minimum of 350 students. Rejoice, my fellow splitters.


Interesting...I wonder if a reverse splitter like me (164/3.82) will have a shot. Here's to hoping! :D

If your softs are strong enough, I think you'll be okay. When did you submit?

To all apartment seekers...
Provided my interview goes well and I am accepted, I may stay in my apartment in Austin and will be in need of a roommate. I live about 15 minutes from the school (30 minutes with traffic). Nothing is final right now of course, but if you would like any details, feel free to PM me.



Do you know what apartments are dog friendly?? In case the interview goes well my number one priority is my dog ahha


Post West Austin is pretty close to campus (45th and MoPac) and super duper dog-friendly. They have two courtyards, a dog run in the back and a big open field across the street (although that may be turned into a grocery store soon). One of the leasing managers also owns a golden and is training her to be a therapy dog.

nolabreeze
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nolabreeze » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm

i do love how dog friendly austin is. i asked the guys that rent out kayaks/canoes if my dog could ride with me and they said "if she'll sit in one she can go with you."

waiters at certain places will also sometimes come out with dog biscuits and water bowls.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 pm

nolabreeze wrote:i do love how dog friendly austin is. i asked the guys that rent out kayaks/canoes if my dog could ride with me and they said "if she'll sit in one she can go with you."

waiters at certain places will also sometimes come out with dog biscuits and water bowls.

Crown & Anchor (pub within walking distance of law school) is very dog friendly too. :)

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm

nolabreeze wrote:i do love how dog friendly austin is. i asked the guys that rent out kayaks/canoes if my dog could ride with me and they said "if she'll sit in one she can go with you."

waiters at certain places will also sometimes come out with dog biscuits and water bowls.



That is pretty awesome!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm

I just drove by the law school and nearly got in a wreck staring at it.
...
These people better admit me soon or something bad is gonna happen. :P

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm

ndel21 wrote:Do you know what apartments are dog friendly?? In case the interview goes well my number one priority is my dog ahha
The Mosaic (where I live) and the Triangle are dog-friendly -- along with a bunch of other places. It's Austin, after all. We take our dog out all the time. He particularly enjoys the walks to Contigo, which is a great place for a happy hour drink or a casual din, and trips to Crown & Anchor and Rainey St., especially the new sausage place where they make their own dog sausages.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests