University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:Just opened the UT status checker and it says "admission granted 02 November, 2012" at the bottom. No call or email yet though...


Same!

It looks like sometimes the status checker updates first. These posters were some of the first admitted, so maybe UT is calling everyone first now, but it doesn't seem like the worst idea to obsess over your status checker. :p

Still no news for me, but I didn't go complete until last week.

User avatar
geary86
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby geary86 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:Just opened the UT status checker and it says "admission granted 02 November, 2012" at the bottom. No call or email yet though...


Same!

It looks like sometimes the status checker updates first. These posters were some of the first admitted, so maybe UT is calling everyone first now, but it doesn't seem like the worst idea to obsess over your status checker. :p

Still no news for me, but I didn't go complete until last week.


UT's notification system really seems random...

Good to know that my obsession with the status checker might pay off (will probably be dinged though :( )

bgood2texas
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bgood2texas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Does the status checker get updated with anything besides "Your file is complete?" For example, will it say "under review" like others will?

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2280
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby goden » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

bgood2texas wrote:Does the status checker get updated with anything besides "Your file is complete?" For example, will it say "under review" like others will?

Mine never did.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

.
Last edited by JXander on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey JakeAsch,

when did your app go complete, i have the same LSAT score with a lower gpa but a masters degree, also a URM with very strong softs and a lot of work experience. I was just wondering becuase mine says its being considered for early admission, but i have not heard anything yet and mine went complete early november.

thanks

User avatar
efresh88
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby efresh88 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Questions for those admitted and have already gotten their packet in the mail: Did you get a scholarship offer on the phone/in the mail packet? Do you know if there is a separate packet for financial information that will come later?

bgood2texas
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bgood2texas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:09 pm

goden wrote:
bgood2texas wrote:Does the status checker get updated with anything besides "Your file is complete?" For example, will it say "under review" like others will?

Mine never did.

Seriously, congrats man. Texas is incredible, and you give me some hope. I'm 166/3.61 as an instater. I've never heard of them taking a 167 out of stater so early in the process. They have to take 65% from instate, so I'm hoping that since I'm a little below both medians I can sneak in with my rec letters, work experience, and being an instate kid. Their median was 166 four years ago or so, so I wonder if they're preparing for a median drop.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 am

ndel21 wrote:Hey JakeAsch,

when did your app go complete, i have the same LSAT score with a lower gpa but a masters degree, also a URM with very strong softs and a lot of work experience. I was just wondering becuase mine says its being considered for early admission, but i have not heard anything yet and mine went complete early november.

thanks


My application went complete on September 20th. That's really odd that you have not heard anything. I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Here is what the status check page states about my recent transition to the general applicant pool:

"Upon review of your Early Decision application, the Law Admissions Committee has decided to hold your file for further consideration. Your "hold" status should not be viewed as a negative sign or as an invitation to the waitlist. Your application will be further reviewed with the general applicant pool.

When reviewing Early Decision applicants, the admissions committee has three options:
1. Offer admission
2. Deny admission
3. Hold for further review with the Regular Decision applicant pool

The first two options are final decisions, whereas the third is only an interim decision, which may delay a final decision until as late as April."


I am going to assume this is relatively good thing.

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am

Oh man im still hoping they will accept me. I am a texas resident so it would be a great school to go to. The way i look at it is no news are good news right? good luck to all!

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2280
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby goden » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm

bgood2texas wrote:Seriously, congrats man. Texas is incredible, and you give me some hope. I'm 166/3.61 as an instater. I've never heard of them taking a 167 out of stater so early in the process. They have to take 65% from instate, so I'm hoping that since I'm a little below both medians I can sneak in with my rec letters, work experience, and being an instate kid. Their median was 166 four years ago or so, so I wonder if they're preparing for a median drop.

Thanks! Good luck, man. I'll send good vibes your way.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 pm

I did some digging in last year's UT thread to see if everyone was told to "watch for scholarship info in the mail" or just those that received scholarships, and by this time last year the thread was on page 28! Many of those held last year from ED had numbers higher/similar to those accepted already, which I take as a good sign for those of us still waiting. I think UT had a yield problem with the class of 2015 that they want to avoid repeating.


There was also lots of talk about Texas being in the T14 :lol:

User avatar
kaf5250
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kaf5250 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 pm

got the call today! also told I should be getting a scholarship offer in two weeks which I am super excited about because I definitely didn't expect money from them!

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby risa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I did some digging in last year's UT thread to see if everyone was told to "watch for scholarship info in the mail" or just those that received scholarships, and by this time last year the thread was on page 28!


Any conclusion on this?

I got the acceptance call today and Dean Ingram mentioned scholarship information would come via mail.... not sure if that is an accurate indication that I will be getting an offer.

FYI:
out of state, non-URM
169, 3.86
Submitted EA 11/4
Complete 11/19
Accepted 12/5

BigZuck
Posts: 10883
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:23 pm

risa wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I did some digging in last year's UT thread to see if everyone was told to "watch for scholarship info in the mail" or just those that received scholarships, and by this time last year the thread was on page 28!


Any conclusion on this?

I got the acceptance call today and Dean Ingram mentioned scholarship information would come via mail.... not sure if that is an accurate indication that I will be getting an offer.

FYI:
out of state, non-URM
169, 3.86
Submitted EA 11/4
Complete 11/19
Accepted 12/5


Why would they lie to you? If they say that scholarship info would come, wouldn't you expect to get a scholarship?

Fwiw my acceptance call was via voicemail and there was no mention of a scholarship in the message. About two weeks later I was sent a letter with a scholarship offer.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby risa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:Why would they lie to you? If they say that scholarship info would come, wouldn't you expect to get a scholarship?

Fwiw my acceptance call was via voicemail and there was no mention of a scholarship in the message. About two weeks later I was sent a letter with a scholarship offer.


I wasn't thinking it could be a "lie" so much as me reading too much into it. Like the scholarship information I'd receive in the mail could be no scholarship. I just thought it could mean financial aid info was coming later and did not necessarily imply there would actually be a scholarship.

BigZuck
Posts: 10883
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 pm

They didn't tell me I got a scholarship and I did. You're good Risa! You'll have to tell us whether it's just instate tuition or even more. Hopefully more!

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby helpplease » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Question--do you guys know whether they would review my application if I've already submitted but also retook the LSAT in December? I have a score on file from October (161), and I submitted my application last week, but I'm not sure if they wait on the new score to come in to start reviewing. UT is quite a long shot for me, but it's my top choice and would love to get on the wait list at least.

Also, with a 3.5 GPA/in-state, what do yall think I needed to get on the December test to really have a shot? Idgaf about scholarships, just wanna get in!

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

helpplease wrote:Also, with a 3.5 GPA/in-state, what do yall think I needed to get on the December test to really have a shot? Idgaf about scholarships, just wanna get in!


I think a 166 would give u a goodshot. Hopefully u did awesome on the retake! I dont believe they'll start reviewing ur file until they get ur Dec score, but I'm not 100 % sure.

BigZuck
Posts: 10883
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 pm

helpplease wrote:Question--do you guys know whether they would review my application if I've already submitted but also retook the LSAT in December? I have a score on file from October (161), and I submitted my application last week, but I'm not sure if they wait on the new score to come in to start reviewing. UT is quite a long shot for me, but it's my top choice and would love to get on the wait list at least.

Also, with a 3.5 GPA/in-state, what do yall think I needed to get on the December test to really have a shot? Idgaf about scholarships, just wanna get in!



I would send them an email and ask them to hold off for your December score because I think there is a real risk of getting rejected with that 161. 161/3.5 are UH numbers, not UT numbers.

Not very familiar with their instate standards but as a total guess with a 3.5 I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than a 167 or maybe a 166. Good luck! Where else are you applying? Are you blanketing the state?

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby helpplease » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:
helpplease wrote:Question--do you guys know whether they would review my application if I've already submitted but also retook the LSAT in December? I have a score on file from October (161), and I submitted my application last week, but I'm not sure if they wait on the new score to come in to start reviewing. UT is quite a long shot for me, but it's my top choice and would love to get on the wait list at least.

Also, with a 3.5 GPA/in-state, what do yall think I needed to get on the December test to really have a shot? Idgaf about scholarships, just wanna get in!



I would send them an email and ask them to hold off for your December score because I think there is a real risk of getting rejected with that 161. 161/3.5 are UH numbers, not UT numbers.

Not very familiar with their instate standards but as a total guess with a 3.5 I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than a 167 or maybe a 166. Good luck! Where else are you applying? Are you blanketing the state?


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/excitedforaug2013

Yeah, I know my chances are slim. However, the rest of my application is pretty strong so if that counts for anything I may have a shot. Luckily I felt a little better about the December LSAT, but I'm not sure if I want to tell them to hold off because what if I end up getting the same score/only a point or two higher. Wouldn't make a difference at all and a whole month of reviewing would have passed. Ehh not sure, this is all really stressing -___-

avghopeful
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby avghopeful » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm

risa wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I did some digging in last year's UT thread to see if everyone was told to "watch for scholarship info in the mail" or just those that received scholarships, and by this time last year the thread was on page 28!


Any conclusion on this?

I got the acceptance call today and Dean Ingram mentioned scholarship information would come via mail.... not sure if that is an accurate indication that I will be getting an offer.

FYI:
out of state, non-URM
169, 3.86
Submitted EA 11/4
Complete 11/19
Accepted 12/5


FWIW i'm also out of state and you have slightly better numbers than me and I got $15k a year + in state tuition so I'm sure you're fine :)

Moultdog
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Moultdog » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 am

I'm a 1L at UT coming on here to get away from exams and remember how much admissions sucked. I noticed some of you guys wondering about scholarship letters. I got mine about a week or so after they called me if I remember correctly. Good luck people! The unknown can be stressful, but once you're in school it becomes a distant memory.

User avatar
Charlie.Home
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Charlie.Home » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am

held today. applied 11/3

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby letitloose » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Does anyone know if adcomm calls ever come from "unknown numbers?" Yesterday I missed 2 calls like that. Just missed another one. I work and it's hard for me to pay full attention to my phone all day. I definitely don't normally get those, and no voicemails were left. It's probably something random, especially b/c there were no messages, but it's making me wonder.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, mav1993, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, tinafeyclone, Tomthecat, ZEROL27 and 19 guests