University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 pm

For those wondering what caused the racket at the school today.

arodasi
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby arodasi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Application finally processed today (3/21) after submission on 3/8. Wonder how long it will take for decision...

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

arodasi wrote:Application finally processed today (3/21) after submission on 3/8. Wonder how long it will take for decision...

You submitted on 3/8? Did they close on 3/15?

User avatar
Charlie.Home
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Charlie.Home » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Received admission packet today. No word on scholarships. Do scholarships arrive in packet, aka safe to say I'm not getting one without negotiation?

arodasi
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby arodasi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 pm

JXander wrote:
arodasi wrote:Application finally processed today (3/21) after submission on 3/8. Wonder how long it will take for decision...

You submitted on 3/8? Did they close on 3/15?


Oops I meant submitted on 3/1....

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:Received admission packet today. No word on scholarships. Do scholarships arrive in packet, aka safe to say I'm not getting one without negotiation?

Separately and Possibly via email now

User avatar
Charlie.Home
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Charlie.Home » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:13 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:Received admission packet today. No word on scholarships. Do scholarships arrive in packet, aka safe to say I'm not getting one without negotiation?

Separately and Possibly via email now


Thanks. Eta?

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:Received admission packet today. No word on scholarships. Do scholarships arrive in packet, aka safe to say I'm not getting one without negotiation?

Separately and Possibly via email now


Thanks. Eta?

I got mine in the mail 2 days after my admissions packet iirc. Dean Ingram said in the facebook group that they would be emailed now, though, so idk.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:10 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
99.9luft wrote:WL earlier today.

Haven't read this thread; what is the consensus on attending UT with zero Texas ties and a desire to practice in CA?

bad idea unless you have CA ties, and even then would be better off at USC/UCLA.


I really want to go to UT but it's so discouraging to hear that it's not worth it without ties. I have no ties there but really want go and now I'm thinking of not.


Note that we said it's a bad idea if you have a desire to practice in CALIFORNIA! AFAIK (any actual law students reading please correct me if I am wrong), if you want to work in TX, going to UT is a tie, esp if you are from a state w/out a big home legal market.


There were a ton of out of state people that I talked to/overheard talking. Seemed like almost half the people there were from CA.

Also, two words: Seg. Way.

Still thinking of going out tonight, PM me if you want to meet up!

User avatar
ajclark1992
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ajclark1992 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Got to do homework tonight. But, if any of y'all see a dude with ostrich-skin boots tomorrow, its probably me. Come blow your anonymity and introduce yourself.

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Got waitlisted about two weeks ago...

But then I just received a weird email from the Dean Ingram asking me to submit the "Certification of Financial Responsibility"

As an international student, I understand that I need to prove I have enough money in my bank account but probably not until I got in...no?

:| :| :|

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Got waitlisted about two weeks ago...

But then I just received a weird email from the Dean Ingram asking me to submit the "Certification of Financial Responsibility"

As an international student, I understand that I need to prove I have enough money in my bank account but probably not until I got in...no?

:| :| :|

Hmm. I might call them to see what's up. With your numbers, I don't see why you initially didn't get admitted.
Last edited by JXander on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ironbmike » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

BigZuck wrote:There were a ton of out of state people that I talked to/overheard talking. Seemed like almost half the people there were from CA.

Also, two words: Seg. Way.

Still thinking of going out tonight, PM me if you want to meet up!


Yeah, just makes me nervous is all. Especially since I have ties in the area I'm leaving.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

I will potentially be down on Rainey Street tonight, pm me if you want the run-down on the area from a local. I know I owe someone in here a drink for something...

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 pm

JXander wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Got waitlisted about two weeks ago...

But then I just received a weird email from the Dean Ingram asking me to submit the "Certification of Financial Responsibility"

As an international student, I understand that I need to prove I have enough money in my bank account but probably not until I got in...no?

:| :| :|

Hmm. I might call them to see what's up. With your numbers, I don't see why you initially didn't get admitted.


I will, but because I'm on the other side of the earth... timing is a little tricky :roll:

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Skipped the last panel to buy beer. Some of y'all better show up! It's the big yellow house across the street.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Any thoughts on ASW? Still waiting on a couple schools but UT is one of my top two at this point and ASW didn't really do anything to change that (for better or for worse). I thought the career panel was nice and getting to speak with professors, current students, and admits was the highlight for me. I wish there was more stuff out in Austin itself (like maybe current students organizing a night on the town) because this really is a great city and they didn't do enough to convey that (other than tell us that repeatedly).

Any other thoughts?

User avatar
ajclark1992
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ajclark1992 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah -- I would have actually liked a whole lot more interaction with students (especially 3Ls). But, overall, the ASW was just a "smell test" for me, and I think it passed. The people I met were all honest and humble about what the school had to offer. The students were nice, Austin was great (and the food was even better). When my hold from Harvard turns into a wait list and then a rejection, I'll be pretty excited to attend.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Welp... Party is/was a bust ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Welp... Party is/was a bust ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


I am picturing someone sitting alone on a porch in Hyde Park with a shirt that says '180' in block letters.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Welp... Party is/was a bust ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


I am picturing someone sitting alone on a porch in Hyde Park with a shirt that says '180' in block letters.

A few people ended up wandering in, and they were all awesome, plus my 5 roommates and a few other 3Ls were there, so a pretty decent night overall. Just wish we could have met more incoming students!

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ironbmike » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:13 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Welp... Party is/was a bust ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


I am picturing someone sitting alone on a porch in Hyde Park with a shirt that says '180' in block letters.

A few people ended up wandering in, and they were all awesome, plus my 5 roommates and a few other 3Ls were there, so a pretty decent night overall. Just wish we could have met more incoming students!


Wasn't even able to make it out to Austin, otherwise I would have dropped by.

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby helpplease » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Has there been a trend of which weekdays applicants hear back on most? UT's deposit deadline is April 15th, so i'm assuming we should get decisions sometimes in the three weeks before that.

Also, does anybody know if theres any benefit to visiting the school? Is there even a possibility of setting up a short meeting with a rep from the admissions committee or do the visits only consist of a tour and a class?

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 am

helpplease wrote:Has there been a trend of which weekdays applicants hear back on most? UT's deposit deadline is April 15th, so i'm assuming we should get decisions sometimes in the three weeks before that.

Also, does anybody know if theres any benefit to visiting the school? Is there even a possibility of setting up a short meeting with a rep from the admissions committee or do the visits only consist of a tour and a class?


I'm not sure if you can request a meeting or anything, but when I toured the director of admissions was the tour guide. My tour group had a couple of really obnoxious people so I can see how being obnoxious/not being obnoxious might hurt/help if you get to have some small talk with admissions reps.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

rabbitrun wrote:
helpplease wrote:Has there been a trend of which weekdays applicants hear back on most? UT's deposit deadline is April 15th, so i'm assuming we should get decisions sometimes in the three weeks before that.

Also, does anybody know if theres any benefit to visiting the school? Is there even a possibility of setting up a short meeting with a rep from the admissions committee or do the visits only consist of a tour and a class?


I'm not sure if you can request a meeting or anything, but when I toured the director of admissions was the tour guide. My tour group had a couple of really obnoxious people so I can see how being obnoxious/not being obnoxious might hurt/help if you get to have some small talk with admissions reps.


Go on




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Lumis and 18 guests