University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
raynmaker1005 wrote:full-ride scholly over three years!!! just heard back yesterday morning while I was in Chicago interviewing for NU!!! i'm beyond happpy. I honestly can't believe that this happened. This whole thing's really only sinking in now. I honestly wasn't seriously considering UT, but now, this is definitely a pretty strong possibility. I'm held at NU, WL at Michigan, (no word from UCLA, USC.... fkers... and i went to UCLA for undergrad). I mean im still waiting on Penn, UVA, Columbia, Chicago, (and HS of course... ha...like i would want to go there.........)

But honestly, I fell in love with Chicago yesterday. It's the first time i've been there. Lived in LA all my life. I think i really need a change of environment to truly get a good LS experience. As of now, I'm leaning towards NU and UT at full-scholly as my first choice. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, but public service is definitely is a strong possibility. I'm not sure where i want to practice, but CA is definitely a market I would want to return to at some point in time. I'm really interested in immigration law, immigration reform, international law, business law (kinda), and i guess environmental law. I'm definitely not writing biglaw off the cards. But i don't really see myself doing it, considering the types of lifestyles i've heard associates having. I don't think any amount of money would be able to justify that. But, a less stressful private sector firm would definitely be very intellectually stimulating for me.

Anyway, I digress.. I will read some of the older posts on Texas, as I haven't read in maybe half a week or so. What do you guys think? Should i be happy about this scholly? Should I even consider it seriously? I wouldn't mind working in Austin for a couple of years. I've never been there before, so I guess i'll have to visit soon.

numbers: 3.6/173 (4th retake), prior law school matriculation at Loyola Law (less than a semester), good softs with public interest emphasis, only 1 yr of we.


Seems like there is a lot you don't know about the practice of law and what that entails (all over the map with places you want to work, considering UT without Texas ties and wanting to work in CA, thinking its possible to get a job in Austin). This site is a great resource and I suggest poking around a bit to kind of get your bearings as to how this all works. I would take that scholarship if you had Texas ties and wanted to work in Texas. Any other situation I would probably think strongly about other options. If you want CA and don't get S or B maybe you can leverage the UT offer to get a full ride out of UCLA?

Anyway congrats on the scholarship and good luck!



I dont have Texas ties but may go to UT. You think that would be a bad idea? I mean I know Austin is an extremely insular market but what about Houston and Dallas? If you have the grades and stay in Texas during your 1L year, wouldn't that be enough for many Texas firms.

User avatar
hobie2515
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby hobie2515 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:16 pm

ndel21 wrote:I dont have Texas ties but may go to UT. You think that would be a bad idea? I mean I know Austin is an extremely insular market but what about Houston and Dallas? If you have the grades and stay in Texas during your 1L year, wouldn't that be enough for many Texas firms.


*** Disclaimer *** I am a 0L and thus know nothing of the actual reality. All my information is based on discussions with recent graduates and current students along with forum discussions.

The worry firms have is that you'll take their sweet offer, put in your time, get enough experience and then hit the road to a market you actually want to end up in. Austin is a sweet place but UT is still a regional school. It has some national reach but only if you do well enough and have significant ties to the area you actually want to be in. It is debatable who has more reach (UT vs NYU) but my understanding is that NYU has slightly more. Honestly if you want to work in CA, then go to a CA school (UCLA would likely play ball with such a stellar offer from UT). If you want to work in Texas and don't mind an uphill battle convincing Texas firms you aren't going to bolt, then go to UT. Regardless, it is a great offer and you should be proud, congrats.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 pm

hobie2515 wrote:
ndel21 wrote:I dont have Texas ties but may go to UT. You think that would be a bad idea? I mean I know Austin is an extremely insular market but what about Houston and Dallas? If you have the grades and stay in Texas during your 1L year, wouldn't that be enough for many Texas firms.


*** Disclaimer *** I am a 0L and thus know nothing of the actual reality. All my information is based on discussions with recent graduates and current students along with forum discussions.

The worry firms have is that you'll take their sweet offer, put in your time, get enough experience and then hit the road to a market you actually want to end up in. Austin is a sweet place but UT is still a regional school. It has some national reach but only if you do well enough and have significant ties to the area you actually want to be in. It is debatable who has more reach (UT vs NYU) but my understanding is that NYU has slightly more. Honestly if you want to work in CA, then go to a CA school (UCLA would likely play ball with such a stellar offer from UT). If you want to work in Texas and don't mind an uphill battle convincing Texas firms you aren't going to bolt, then go to UT. Regardless, it is a great offer and you should be proud, congrats.


Oh I wasnt the one who got that great offer (though I did get a very good one from UT myself). Otherwise, thanks for the insight.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
raynmaker1005 wrote:full-ride scholly over three years!!! just heard back yesterday morning while I was in Chicago interviewing for NU!!! i'm beyond happpy. I honestly can't believe that this happened. This whole thing's really only sinking in now. I honestly wasn't seriously considering UT, but now, this is definitely a pretty strong possibility. I'm held at NU, WL at Michigan, (no word from UCLA, USC.... fkers... and i went to UCLA for undergrad). I mean im still waiting on Penn, UVA, Columbia, Chicago, (and HS of course... ha...like i would want to go there.........)

But honestly, I fell in love with Chicago yesterday. It's the first time i've been there. Lived in LA all my life. I think i really need a change of environment to truly get a good LS experience. As of now, I'm leaning towards NU and UT at full-scholly as my first choice. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, but public service is definitely is a strong possibility. I'm not sure where i want to practice, but CA is definitely a market I would want to return to at some point in time. I'm really interested in immigration law, immigration reform, international law, business law (kinda), and i guess environmental law. I'm definitely not writing biglaw off the cards. But i don't really see myself doing it, considering the types of lifestyles i've heard associates having. I don't think any amount of money would be able to justify that. But, a less stressful private sector firm would definitely be very intellectually stimulating for me.

Anyway, I digress.. I will read some of the older posts on Texas, as I haven't read in maybe half a week or so. What do you guys think? Should i be happy about this scholly? Should I even consider it seriously? I wouldn't mind working in Austin for a couple of years. I've never been there before, so I guess i'll have to visit soon.

numbers: 3.6/173 (4th retake), prior law school matriculation at Loyola Law (less than a semester), good softs with public interest emphasis, only 1 yr of we.


Seems like there is a lot you don't know about the practice of law and what that entails (all over the map with places you want to work, considering UT without Texas ties and wanting to work in CA, thinking its possible to get a job in Austin). This site is a great resource and I suggest poking around a bit to kind of get your bearings as to how this all works. I would take that scholarship if you had Texas ties and wanted to work in Texas. Any other situation I would probably think strongly about other options. If you want CA and don't get S or B maybe you can leverage the UT offer to get a full ride out of UCLA?

Anyway congrats on the scholarship and good luck!



I dont have Texas ties but may go to UT. You think that would be a bad idea? I mean I know Austin is an extremely insular market but what about Houston and Dallas? If you have the grades and stay in Texas during your 1L year, wouldn't that be enough for many Texas firms.


If you have the grades is the key. Most (maybe 75%? won't). UT is a very good school but still a risky investment. Roughly 35% of the class gets jobs that can service a high debt load and only 70% become lawyers based on the most recent data we have. You have to go to a school assuming you will end up median because that is the most likely outcome. A Texan at median might still have an ok shot at big law. I doubt an outsider at median would. Anecdote alert: I know a 3L who went to UT but has targeted Chicago. She ended up around median, struck out at OCI and is now trying to find whatever she can but still has nothing. She regrets not going to NU. I know your question is different (you want to know about an outsider targeting Texas) but what I'm saying is that going to UT without Texas ties and/or targeting markets outside of Texas seems like risky business unless you get top (I'm guessing top 25% or so?) grades. Chances are you will not get these kinds of grades. If you want a shot at a big law while ending up at median you need to attend a top 14 or maybe 13 school as far as I can tell.

raynmaker1005
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby raynmaker1005 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
raynmaker1005 wrote:full-ride scholly over three years!!! just heard back yesterday morning while I was in Chicago interviewing for NU!!! i'm beyond happpy. I honestly can't believe that this happened. This whole thing's really only sinking in now. I honestly wasn't seriously considering UT, but now, this is definitely a pretty strong possibility. I'm held at NU, WL at Michigan, (no word from UCLA, USC.... fkers... and i went to UCLA for undergrad). I mean im still waiting on Penn, UVA, Columbia, Chicago, (and HS of course... ha...like i would want to go there.........)

But honestly, I fell in love with Chicago yesterday. It's the first time i've been there. Lived in LA all my life. I think i really need a change of environment to truly get a good LS experience. As of now, I'm leaning towards NU and UT at full-scholly as my first choice. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, but public service is definitely is a strong possibility. I'm not sure where i want to practice, but CA is definitely a market I would want to return to at some point in time. I'm really interested in immigration law, immigration reform, international law, business law (kinda), and i guess environmental law. I'm definitely not writing biglaw off the cards. But i don't really see myself doing it, considering the types of lifestyles i've heard associates having. I don't think any amount of money would be able to justify that. But, a less stressful private sector firm would definitely be very intellectually stimulating for me.

Anyway, I digress.. I will read some of the older posts on Texas, as I haven't read in maybe half a week or so. What do you guys think? Should i be happy about this scholly? Should I even consider it seriously? I wouldn't mind working in Austin for a couple of years. I've never been there before, so I guess i'll have to visit soon.

numbers: 3.6/173 (4th retake), prior law school matriculation at Loyola Law (less than a semester), good softs with public interest emphasis, only 1 yr of we.


Seems like there is a lot you don't know about the practice of law and what that entails (all over the map with places you want to work, considering UT without Texas ties and wanting to work in CA, thinking its possible to get a job in Austin). This site is a great resource and I suggest poking around a bit to kind of get your bearings as to how this all works. I would take that scholarship if you had Texas ties and wanted to work in Texas. Any other situation I would probably think strongly about other options. If you want CA and don't get S or B maybe you can leverage the UT offer to get a full ride out of UCLA?

Anyway congrats on the scholarship and good luck!



I already got rejected at B.. I'm thinking S might be a reject too.. thanks for the advice though :)

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
raynmaker1005 wrote:full-ride scholly over three years!!! just heard back yesterday morning while I was in Chicago interviewing for NU!!! i'm beyond happpy. I honestly can't believe that this happened. This whole thing's really only sinking in now. I honestly wasn't seriously considering UT, but now, this is definitely a pretty strong possibility. I'm held at NU, WL at Michigan, (no word from UCLA, USC.... fkers... and i went to UCLA for undergrad). I mean im still waiting on Penn, UVA, Columbia, Chicago, (and HS of course... ha...like i would want to go there.........)

But honestly, I fell in love with Chicago yesterday. It's the first time i've been there. Lived in LA all my life. I think i really need a change of environment to truly get a good LS experience. As of now, I'm leaning towards NU and UT at full-scholly as my first choice. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, but public service is definitely is a strong possibility. I'm not sure where i want to practice, but CA is definitely a market I would want to return to at some point in time. I'm really interested in immigration law, immigration reform, international law, business law (kinda), and i guess environmental law. I'm definitely not writing biglaw off the cards. But i don't really see myself doing it, considering the types of lifestyles i've heard associates having. I don't think any amount of money would be able to justify that. But, a less stressful private sector firm would definitely be very intellectually stimulating for me.

Anyway, I digress.. I will read some of the older posts on Texas, as I haven't read in maybe half a week or so. What do you guys think? Should i be happy about this scholly? Should I even consider it seriously? I wouldn't mind working in Austin for a couple of years. I've never been there before, so I guess i'll have to visit soon.

numbers: 3.6/173 (4th retake), prior law school matriculation at Loyola Law (less than a semester), good softs with public interest emphasis, only 1 yr of we.


Seems like there is a lot you don't know about the practice of law and what that entails (all over the map with places you want to work, considering UT without Texas ties and wanting to work in CA, thinking its possible to get a job in Austin). This site is a great resource and I suggest poking around a bit to kind of get your bearings as to how this all works. I would take that scholarship if you had Texas ties and wanted to work in Texas. Any other situation I would probably think strongly about other options. If you want CA and don't get S or B maybe you can leverage the UT offer to get a full ride out of UCLA?

Anyway congrats on the scholarship and good luck!



I dont have Texas ties but may go to UT. You think that would be a bad idea? I mean I know Austin is an extremely insular market but what about Houston and Dallas? If you have the grades and stay in Texas during your 1L year, wouldn't that be enough for many Texas firms.


If you have the grades is the key. Most (maybe 75%? won't). UT is a very good school but still a risky investment. Roughly 35% of the class gets jobs that can service a high debt load and only 70% become lawyers based on the most recent data we have. You have to go to a school assuming you will end up median because that is the most likely outcome. A Texan at median might still have an ok shot at big law. I doubt an outsider at median would. Anecdote alert: I know a 3L who went to UT but has targeted Chicago. She ended up around median, struck out at OCI and is now trying to find whatever she can but still has nothing. She regrets not going to NU. I know your question is different (you want to know about an outsider targeting Texas) but what I'm saying is that going to UT without Texas ties and/or targeting markets outside of Texas seems like risky business unless you get top (I'm guessing top 25% or so?) grades. Chances are you will not get these kinds of grades. If you want a shot at a big law while ending up at median you need to attend a top 14 or maybe 13 school as far as I can tell.



I understand. I got into Cornell but I dont think they will give me a lot of money and the amount of debt I will take on will be a ridiculous amount. Maybe i will get more than I think I will. That said Texas has given me the best financial offer so far and it is obviously a well respected school.


edit: By the way, with smaller class sizes do you think that will allow more opportunity for those who finish at median?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

TEXAS91 wrote:
JXander wrote:
ndel21 wrote:
TEXAS91 wrote:Here's to hoping that some of us that were held over from ED get decisions this week!



+1

+2...
But this is becoming depressingly redundant...

Waiting 5 and a half months has been pure torture...

Ohmygosh. Has it been that long???

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 pm

+1[/quote]
+2...
But this is becoming depressingly redundant...[/quote]
Waiting 5 and a half months has been pure torture...[/quote]
Ohmygosh. Has it been that long???[/quote]


Yep it has..:/

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:By the way, with smaller class sizes do you think that will allow more opportunity for those who finish at median?


Is a smaller class size a real thing for this year? I thought I read somewhere on here that the dean put a minimum of 350 students on the incoming class? That's still 50 smaller than the 400 they have had but still. It's huge.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:51 pm

rachelzane wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:By the way, with smaller class sizes do you think that will allow more opportunity for those who finish at median?


Is a smaller class size a real thing for this year? I thought I read somewhere on here that the dean put a minimum of 350 students on the incoming class? That's still 50 smaller than the 400 they have had but still. It's huge.


I spoke with Dean Farnsworth at one of the admitted student receptions and asked him about the class size. He told me to not expect it to jump back up to the level it was prior to last year due to the decrease in applicants, but he may have been just telling me what I want to hear haha

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eaper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

rachelzane wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:By the way, with smaller class sizes do you think that will allow more opportunity for those who finish at median?


Is a smaller class size a real thing for this year? I thought I read somewhere on here that the dean put a minimum of 350 students on the incoming class? That's still 50 smaller than the 400 they have had but still. It's huge.


The 1L class is the smallest in at least a decade and I think your class is supposed to be slightly smaller.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 pm

rachelzane wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:By the way, with smaller class sizes do you think that will allow more opportunity for those who finish at median?


Is a smaller class size a real thing for this year? I thought I read somewhere on here that the dean put a minimum of 350 students on the incoming class? That's still 50 smaller than the 400 they have had but still. It's huge.

Right, that's based off a rumor I picked up from my coworker who is a 2L at UT. I think that because the class size was so small last year, they are really desperate to bring it up...without it affecting their medians too negatively. Which is probably why they are giving some nods to some in-state splitters.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ironbmike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Just got in! I am an out of stater. Is it possible/easy to get in-state tuition after 1L? And I saw it discussed already in this thread, but does anyone else have insight on how insulated the Austin/Texas market is from outsiders?

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:08 pm

ironbmike wrote:Just got in! I am an out of stater. Is it possible/easy to get in-state tuition after 1L? And I saw it discussed already in this thread, but does anyone else have insight on how insulated the Austin/Texas market is from outsiders?



What at=re your numbers. I was given in state tuition and I am an out of state student. I am 0L so certainly not an expert on the Texas legal market but I have asked a lot of current students, and the answer I usually get is Austin in very insulated, while Houston is much easier to crack. I think I have heard Dallas is somewhere in between.

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:He told me to not expect it to jump back up to the level it was prior to last year due to the decrease in applicants, but he may have been just telling me what I want to hear haha
eaper wrote:The 1L class is the smallest in at least a decade and I think your class is supposed to be slightly smaller.
JXander wrote:I think that because the class size was so small last year, they are really desperate to bring it up...without it affecting their medians too negatively.

Haha so between the four of us, we know nothing. Hopefully Eaper speaks truth.

DA956
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DA956 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 pm

DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


Congrats! Giving me hope I'll get off the WL with similar numbers.

DA956
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DA956 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:55 pm

nba101790 wrote:
DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


Congrats! Giving me hope I'll get off the WL with similar numbers.


Thanks, GL to you.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 pm

DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


congrats!!

DA956
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DA956 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


congrats!!


Thank you, hope everything goes well for you too.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby curious66 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm

DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


CONGRATS!! Good luck to you. UT scholarships start with a LSAT of 168 -- but you might qualify for need based or something like that. I would call the financial aid office and speak to them. They will accept and look at competing offers, so send them your Baylor one for sure and see if that gets you anything.

All the best.

DA956
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DA956 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 pm

curious66 wrote:
DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


CONGRATS!! Good luck to you. UT scholarships start with a LSAT of 168 -- but you might qualify for need based or something like that. I would call the financial aid office and speak to them. They will accept and look at competing offers, so send them your Baylor one for sure and see if that gets you anything.

All the best.


Thanks, I'm definitely gonna try that if they don't offer anything. I'm just gonna wait on the letter to find out my situation. Is the 168 mark a hard rule or more of a guideline? Hadn't heard it mentioned before.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby curious66 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:56 pm

DA956 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


CONGRATS!! Good luck to you. UT scholarships start with a LSAT of 168 -- but you might qualify for need based or something like that. I would call the financial aid office and speak to them. They will accept and look at competing offers, so send them your Baylor one for sure and see if that gets you anything.

All the best.


Thanks, I'm definitely gonna try that if they don't offer anything. I'm just gonna wait on the letter to find out my situation. Is the 168 mark a hard rule or more of a guideline? Hadn't heard it mentioned before.


When I visited, that was the info I got from financial aid.. 168 w/3.6ish GPA seems to get you $12K per year scholarship and it goes up from there depending on LSAT score.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eaper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm

rachelzane wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:He told me to not expect it to jump back up to the level it was prior to last year due to the decrease in applicants, but he may have been just telling me what I want to hear haha
eaper wrote:The 1L class is the smallest in at least a decade and I think your class is supposed to be slightly smaller.
JXander wrote:I think that because the class size was so small last year, they are really desperate to bring it up...without it affecting their medians too negatively.

Haha so between the four of us, we know nothing. Hopefully Eaper speaks truth.


I think they would make the class size bigger if they could. The drop in applications is just too huge to really get back to previous levels.
They just had a meeting for becoming a mentor and mentioned that the class size will be close to the same (~80 per section, 4 sections) as my year. I just assumed it would probably be slightly smaller due to the continued drop in applications.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 pm

curious66 wrote:
DA956 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
DA956 wrote:I just got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. In state, Texas State undergrad, 3.65 GPA LSAt 164 (90th%). I've also got a full ride scholarship to Baylor, but I'm waiting on the actual letter from UT to make my decision. It's gonna be tough if I don't get anything from UT though.


CONGRATS!! Good luck to you. UT scholarships start with a LSAT of 168 -- but you might qualify for need based or something like that. I would call the financial aid office and speak to them. They will accept and look at competing offers, so send them your Baylor one for sure and see if that gets you anything.

All the best.


Thanks, I'm definitely gonna try that if they don't offer anything. I'm just gonna wait on the letter to find out my situation. Is the 168 mark a hard rule or more of a guideline? Hadn't heard it mentioned before.


When I visited, that was the info I got from financial aid.. 168 w/3.6ish GPA seems to get you $12K per year scholarship and it goes up from there depending on LSAT score.



I think what I have read is that if you have a 168/3.6 you are pretty much guaranteed a scholarship (an in state tuition if you are Out of state) but there may be discretionary scholarship offerings for those with lower numbers.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], finaciardi, hip to be Square, mccracal and 8 guests