University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1768
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 am

FallingHigher wrote:So I visited Austin this weekend to get a feel for the area and get a jump start on apartment hunting. I found out three things 1) apartments in Austin (near the law school especially) are crazy expensive. 2) I love Austin 3) I need to get a dog. haha


I live in South Austin (just south of Ben White for those in the know) and pay $850/month for nice-ish one bedroom. I don't know prices near campus but if you get a bunch of people in a house it shouldn't be too onerous.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am

romanticegotist wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:So I visited Austin this weekend to get a feel for the area and get a jump start on apartment hunting. I found out three things 1) apartments in Austin (near the law school especially) are crazy expensive. 2) I love Austin 3) I need to get a dog. haha


I live in South Austin (just south of Ben White for those in the know) and pay $850/month for nice-ish one bedroom. I don't know prices near campus but if you get a bunch of people in a house it shouldn't be too onerous.

I also live in South Austin and pay $350/month. I have two other roommates and we live in a small two bedroom. I am not sure how expensive the apartments near the school are, but I think in some ways it might be worth it to live a little further. If you can figure out how/when to beat the traffic so you don't waste gas, you can get downtown pretty fast. For example, I leave at 7:15 for work each morning and can get to the Capitol in 10ish minutes.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 am

The apartments walking distance to campus are as/more expensive then Uptown Dallas ($1,000+ for one bedroom) but obviously still alot cheaper then NYC or other super expensive areas. But theres definitely more afforable stuff the further u get from campus.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5525
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:The apartments walking distance to campus are as/more expensive then Uptown Dallas ($1,000+ for one bedroom) but obviously still alot cheaper then NYC or other super expensive areas. But theres definitely more afforable stuff the further u get from campus.

Ehhh, maybe in west campus, but north campus has been pretty reasonable from what I've seen.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 am

yeah you can definitely get something for under $1,000 in north campus. I was able to find alot of places around $900 for a studio pretty close to campus when I looked a few weeks back. West campus is insane, especially alot of the new developments.

User avatar
FallingHigher
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby FallingHigher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:yeah you can definitely get something for under $1,000 in north campus. I was able to find alot of places around $900 for a studio pretty close to campus when I looked a few weeks back. West campus is insane, especially alot of the new developments.


The places near the law school were between 800-1,200. I am just used to places being much cheaper because of were I have lived before.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm

It also depend on what you are looking for. I have seen a lot of studios in the area fro 750 or less.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Just as a reminder,

They have created a class of 2016 Texas Law thread, where a whole bunch of admitted and current students have the chance to share their wisdom about living, entertainment, jobs, etc. -the nitty gritty. Check it out.

P.S. of course most of you know this (I am not challenging your intelligence).

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=200214

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 am

I don't remember who was talking about this earlier in this thread, but for those of us that we're held:

Did the status checker previously say we would know a decision "by April"? Mine says "as late as April". I think it changed, but I'm not sure. Hopefully they aren't pushing decisions back even later.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am

rachelzane wrote:I don't remember who was talking about this earlier in this thread, but for those of us that we're held:

Did the status checker previously say we would know a decision "by April"? Mine says "as late as April". I think it changed, but I'm not sure. Hopefully they aren't pushing decisions back even later.

The StCh says this?

The FAQ states:

"I applied for Early Decision but I received a letter saying that I have been held over for further consideration. Have I been deferred?
No, you have not been deferred. When reviewing Early Decision applicants, the Admissions Committee has three options: offer admission, deny admission, or “hold” the applicant for further review with the general admission applicant pool. The first two options are final decisions, whereas the third is an interim decision which may delay an applicant’s receiving a final decision until April."


Edit: Were you referring to ED applicants, RachelZ?

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 am

JXander wrote:
rachelzane wrote:I don't remember who was talking about this earlier in this thread, but for those of us that we're held:

Did the status checker previously say we would know a decision "by April"? Mine says "as late as April". I think it changed, but I'm not sure. Hopefully they aren't pushing decisions back even later.

The StCh says this?

The FAQ states:

"I applied for Early Decision but I received a letter saying that I have been held over for further consideration. Have I been deferred?
No, you have not been deferred. When reviewing Early Decision applicants, the Admissions Committee has three options: offer admission, deny admission, or “hold” the applicant for further review with the general admission applicant pool. The first two options are final decisions, whereas the third is an interim decision which may delay an applicant’s receiving a final decision until April."


Edit: Were you referring to ED applicants, RachelZ?



When i read the letter it also said till late april, but im sure they will let us know in the next month of so

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am

Concerning the "within" or "by" April discussion. I have no idea... but you can push the decision to March by indicating a need to know before April (if you have scholarships or acceptances that must be confirmed by April 1).

Indiana-Bloomington requires me to accept their $120,000 offer by April 1, and I will let UT know that I need a decision before then. The admissions officers understand these situations and usually help out.

Just an idea.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Concerning the "within" or "by" April discussion. I have no idea... but you can push the decision to March by indicating a need to know before April (if you have scholarships or acceptances that must be confirmed by April 1).

Indiana-Bloomington requires me to accept their $120,000 offer by April 1, and I will let UT know that I need a decision before then. The admissions officers understand these situations and usually help out.

Yes, I understand that UT is courteous to deal with an applicant's deadline situation accordingly.

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm

JXander wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:Concerning the "within" or "by" April discussion. I have no idea... but you can push the decision to March by indicating a need to know before April (if you have scholarships or acceptances that must be confirmed by April 1).

Indiana-Bloomington requires me to accept their $120,000 offer by April 1, and I will let UT know that I need a decision before then. The admissions officers understand these situations and usually help out.

Yes, I understand that UT is courteous to deal with an applicant's deadline situation accordingly.


Thanks ndel, Michael, and JXander.

Yes, for ED applicants. I went back and checked by email that said "by April" for ED applicants being held. I'm just tired of waiting at this point.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

rachelzane wrote:I'm just tired of waiting at this point.

Who isn't? :)

But if we get in, it's going to feel SO GREAT after having waited SO LONG.

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 pm

JXander wrote:
rachelzane wrote:I'm just tired of waiting at this point.

Who isn't? :)

But if we get in, it's going to feel SO GREAT after having waited SO LONG.


Seriously... "Apply early" has turned out to be the worst admissions advice ever :x

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
JXander wrote:
rachelzane wrote:I'm just tired of waiting at this point.

Who isn't? :)

But if we get in, it's going to feel SO GREAT after having waited SO LONG.


Seriously... "Apply early" has turned out to be the worst admissions advice ever :x

Why do you say that?

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm

JXander wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
JXander wrote:
rachelzane wrote:I'm just tired of waiting at this point.

Who isn't? :)

But if we get in, it's going to feel SO GREAT after having waited SO LONG.


Seriously... "Apply early" has turned out to be the worst admissions advice ever :x

Why do you say that?


because it is torture to be held or deferred forever lol

no I don't really mean it... I'm just tired of waiting :wink:

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Concerning the "within" or "by" April discussion. I have no idea... but you can push the decision to March by indicating a need to know before April (if you have scholarships or acceptances that must be confirmed by April 1).

Indiana-Bloomington requires me to accept their $120,000 offer by April 1, and I will let UT know that I need a decision before then. The admissions officers understand these situations and usually help out.

Just an idea.


Ps. That is an awesome deal. Are you in-state and/or would you be needing to wait for scholarship info from UT too? Maybe they'll give it to you all at once.

raynmaker1005
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby raynmaker1005 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

in this morning! 173 3.6

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 pm

raynmaker1005 wrote:in this morning! 173 3.6

Congrats! With those numbers you can expect a large scholarship 8)

lnh819
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lnh819 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 pm

In this morning - and I was a held applicant invited for an interview so maybe we're all in?

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm

lnh819 wrote:In this morning - and I was a held applicant invited for an interview so maybe we're all in?

Congrats! I'm assuming you accepted the interview invite?! :)

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ndel21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

lnh819 wrote:In this morning - and I was a held applicant invited for an interview so maybe we're all in?


When did you interview if you dont mind me asking? you can PM if you want.

dixonkjo
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dixonkjo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I was also held, interviewed earlier this month and got the acceptance call this evening!!!!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”