University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lnh819

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lnh819 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm

I have a 163 3.57 and am a Texas resident. Basically, I'm borderline between waitlist and denial.

I was invited to interview via email and I choose not too. I already interviewed when an admissions officer came to my college campus and didn't see the need to interview twice. I also have not taken a tour as I know Austin/UT well. Am I crazy for skipping the second interview and not going on a tour? Part of my reasoning was to save something in case I'm waitlisted but am I really just dooming myself to a flat denial by seeming disinterested?

I also haven't informed them of my new job at a law firm but that's LOCI material, right?

blackmooncreeping

Postby blackmooncreeping » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm

teiswei wrote:
blackmooncreeping wrote:I believe its because they use an automated system to send out the emails.

They do... It's a batch and batches are scheduled. There is no reason they can't run it at 5:00 PM. They chose the time and the time they chose is questionable.

Bro, of all the things to get angry about during the law school app process this isn't that big of a deal. Besides, when UT rejects you its not the end of the world, i know a couple of people that got calls in the summer for admission after they had been rejected via email.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:26 am

lnh819 wrote:I was invited to interview via email and I choose not too. I already interviewed when an admissions officer came to my college campus and didn't see the need to interview twice. I also have not taken a tour as I know Austin/UT well. Am I crazy for skipping the second interview and not going on a tour? Part of my reasoning was to save something in case I'm waitlisted but am I really just dooming myself to a flat denial by seeming disinterested?

I also haven't informed them of my new job at a law firm but that's LOCI material, right?

I think it may have just been unwise to skip out on the interview. My theory is that they have about 75ish of us "maybes" (includes splitters, reverse-splitters, URMS with major softs, etc.) and that they can only take a portion of them to keep their medians. I think the interviews were a way for them to determine who of the maybes gets in and who does not.

Another theory is that they already planned on admitting us all, but want to make it clear to the public that they are still a "highly selective" institution.

Regardless of whether you adopt either of these theories or your own, it's incredibly difficult to tell considering they've never really done interviews like this before. We definitely won't hear much until a few weeks after their app deadline.

Good luck, lnh! Is Texas your top choice?

rachelzane

Postby rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am

JXander wrote:
lnh819 wrote:I was invited to interview via email and I choose not too. I already interviewed when an admissions officer came to my college campus and didn't see the need to interview twice. I also have not taken a tour as I know Austin/UT well. Am I crazy for skipping the second interview and not going on a tour? Part of my reasoning was to save something in case I'm waitlisted but am I really just dooming myself to a flat denial by seeming disinterested?

I think it may have just been unwise to skip out on the interview. My theory is that they have about 75ish of us "maybes" (includes splitters, reverse-splitters, URMS with major softs, etc.) and that they can only take a portion of them to keep their medians. I think the interviews were a way for them to determine who of the maybes gets in and who does not.

Another theory is that they already planned on admitting us all, but want to make it clear to the public that they are still a "highly selective" institution.

Regardless of whether you adopt either of these theories or your own, it's incredibly difficult to tell considering they've never really done interviews like this before. We definitely won't hear much until a few weeks after their app deadline.

I hope this is true. Have any of the 70ish invited to interview heard anything?

lnh819

Postby lnh819 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 am

UT is probably not my first choice as they would offer me no money for my 163/3.57 and I'm lukewarm on the idea of big law. I currently have a 2/3rds ride to Texas Tech that I'm almost certainly going to accept. Honestly, I just want in at this point for the bragging rights of a perfect 8-0 cycle. Sitting at 7-0 right now!

I just found the email inviting me to interview buried in my inbox and responded. I asked Ms. Ingrim if she recommended a second interview (as I interviewed back in the Fall when a recruiter came to my campus) and let her know to expect a Why Texas statement within the week. I also apologized for my lateness in replying and said I hoped it wasn't too late to do something. Honestly, I really thought I submitted a Why Texas statement with my application (that was an option, right?) but I can't find one on my computer so maybe I didn't. Well, having two on file won't hurt anything - haha!

I'm still probably missing a chance by not going on a tour but I'm just running out of time. I suppose if I get accepted early enough in March that I could fit one in before deposits are due.

I'm unlikely to put my name on the waitlist if offered that option.

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 am

lnh819 wrote:UT is probably not my first choice as they would offer me no money for my 163/3.57 and I'm lukewarm on the idea of big law. I currently have a 2/3rds ride to Texas Tech that I'm almost certainly going to accept. Honestly, I just want in at this point for the bragging rights of a perfect 8-0 cycle. Sitting at 7-0 right now!

I just found the email inviting me to interview buried in my inbox and responded. I asked Ms. Ingrim if she recommended a second interview (as I interviewed back in the Fall when a recruiter came to my campus) and let her know to expect a Why Texas statement within the week. I also apologized for my lateness in replying and said I hoped it wasn't too late to do something. Honestly, I really thought I submitted a Why Texas statement with my application (that was an option, right?) but I can't find one on my computer so maybe I didn't. Well, having two on file won't hurt anything - haha!

I'm still probably missing a chance by not going on a tour but I'm just running out of time. I suppose if I get accepted early enough in March that I could fit one in before deposits are due.

I'm unlikely to put my name on the waitlist if offered that option.

Just letting you know that I as well as many other applicants got flat-out denied this cycle with much better numbers, so I wouldn't be too worried about waitlists and scholarships at this point if I were you. UT is significantly more selective than the other schools you got into, which explains your current perfect record. I'm not saying this to be an asshole, but to keep your expectations in check--but since it's not your first choice anyway, I suppose you won't be too affected either way.

I guess it kind of annoys me that there are people wanting to get admitted for sheer bragging rights when I would have seriously considered attending at sticker, and wasn't even given the opportunity to interview--but then again you are in-state which changes things up a bit.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:19 am

rachelzane wrote:
JXander wrote:

I hope this is true. Have any of the 70ish invited to interview heard anything?

I think they said they would let us know as the other schools' deposit deadlines get closer.

Doesn't get much vaguer than that.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 pm

New NLJ250 placement numbers are out for Class of 2012. UT placed 25.8% up from 21.4
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204877

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:New NLJ250 placement numbers are out for Class of 2012. UT placed 25.8% up from 21.4

Definitely an improvement but still makes me uneasy. Clerkship placement is good though for a non t-14, non- Vandy school.

mg7

Postby mg7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:New NLJ250 placement numbers are out for Class of 2012. UT placed 25.8% up from 21.4

Definitely an improvement but still makes me uneasy. Clerkship placement is good though for a non t-14, non- Vandy school.

Where are you seeing the clerkship data? Am I missing something or are you just referencing the data from previous classes?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

mg7 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Where are you seeing the clerkship data? Am I missing something or are you just referencing the data from previous classes?

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of last year. No idea what it is this year but I know they have at least one SCOTUS clerk and clerkships in general have been a focus of the school so I'm assuming similar placement this year.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:25 pm

blackmooncreeping wrote:
teiswei wrote:
blackmooncreeping wrote:I believe its because they use an automated system to send out the emails.

They do... It's a batch and batches are scheduled. There is no reason they can't run it at 5:00 PM. They chose the time and the time they chose is questionable.

Bro, of all the things to get angry about during the law school app process this isn't that big of a deal. Besides, when UT rejects you its not the end of the world, i know a couple of people that got calls in the summer for admission after they had been rejected via email.

Oh no, I wasn't really that upset... Like I said, my girlfriend was more upset than I was and both of us were more upset about the choice of timing than actually being declined. UT would be fun and a great school but I would fear being stuck in Texas after graduation.

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I would be very interested to know what is going on in the minds of the admissions officials concerning the early decision - held student with borderline numbers that haven't heard anything since the "held" notification. It looks like they have already begun accepting/denying applicants above, below, and in my range (164, 3.93).

Perhaps they are still tied up with incoming regular decision applications and haven't had time to attack the ED-Held pile.

Perhaps splitter and reverse-splitter apps (like mine) are under a pile of other apps and the officers are waiting to see if these will be needed to fill GPA or LSAT gaps this cycle. Perhaps it is normal for ED - Held apps to wait longer than regular apps for procedural reasons.

Is it the general concensus that ED -Held applicants generally wait longer for a response?

Any thoughts?

Good Luck all my ED - Held bretheren (and Sisteren)!

P.S. If there are any secret UT admissions officers reading this, upon acceptance, I will be attending.

TEXAS91

Postby TEXAS91 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I would be very interested to know what is going on in the minds of the admissions officials concerning the early decision - held student with borderline numbers that haven't heard anything since the "held" notification. It looks like they have already begun accepting/denying applicants above, below, and in my range (164, 3.93).

Perhaps they are still tied up with incoming regular decision applications and haven't had time to attack the ED-Held pile.

Perhaps splitter and reverse-splitter apps (like mine) are under a pile of other apps and the officers are waiting to see if these will be needed to fill GPA or LSAT gaps this cycle. Perhaps it is normal for ED - Held apps to wait longer than regular apps for procedural reasons.

Is it the general concensus that ED -Held applicants generally wait longer for a response?

Any thoughts?

P.S. If there are any secret UT admissions officers reading this, upon acceptance, I will be attending.

+1

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Good to see Texas had roughly a 4% bump in the NLJ 250 numbers. It seemed like quite a few schools still have nt reached their 2010 numbers but Texas has gotten very close.

I cant wait til the ABA data comes out because that gives us way better info on how the class of 2012 did.

rachelzane

Postby rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:15 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I would be very interested to know what is going on in the minds of the admissions officials concerning the early decision - held student with borderline numbers that haven't heard anything since the "held" notification. It looks like they have already begun accepting/denying applicants above, below, and in my range (164, 3.93).

Perhaps splitter and reverse-splitter apps (like mine) are under a pile of other apps lost, forgotten about and the officers are waiting to see if these will be needed to fill GPA or LSAT gaps this cycle. Perhaps it is normal for ED - Held apps to wait longer than regular apps for procedural reasons.

Any thoughts?

Did you interview? I don't like the status checker saying "an email explaining [that you were held] was sent on..." - it didn't explain anything except that they know nothing.

Good luck to you!

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Is it the general concensus that ED -Held applicants generally wait longer for a response?

Sort of...I think some of us have come to the conclusion that this is the equivalent to being waitlisted, considering many of us were invited to interview.

TEXAS91

Postby TEXAS91 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:31 pm

JXander wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:Is it the general concensus that ED -Held applicants generally wait longer for a response?

Sort of...I think some of us have come to the conclusion that this is the equivalent to being waitlisted, considering many of us were invited to interview.

Do ya'll think most of us will start to get answers after March 1st since that is when applications close? Or is the general consensus that we won't hear until the end of April?

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 pm

This is from my hold email:

"Your 'hold' status should not be viewed as a denial, a deferral, or an invitation to the waitlist.

... I anticipate that you will have a final decision by April at the latest..."

- Monica Ingram

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 pm

michaelm55 wrote:... I anticipate that you will have a final decision by April at the latest..."

- Monica Ingram

Right. Within the upcoming month.

jaimeg314

Postby jaimeg314 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Does anyone have an idea when "discretionary awards" are given out? I do not meet the minimum LSAT score for a "pure merit" award, according to Dean Ingram's message in the Facebook group. Thanks for any information! :D

MacB

Postby MacB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, discretionary awards are given out throughout the cycle. I have heard of awards to applicants below the merit aid LSAT floor as early as late October.

FallingHigher

Postby FallingHigher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 am

So I visited Austin this weekend to get a feel for the area and get a jump start on apartment hunting. I found out three things 1) apartments in Austin (near the law school especially) are crazy expensive. 2) I love Austin 3) I need to get a dog. haha

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 am

FallingHigher wrote:So I visited Austin this weekend to get a feel for the area and get a jump start on apartment hunting. I found out three things 1) apartments in Austin (near the law school especially) are crazy expensive. 2) I love Austin 3) I need to get a dog. haha

Compared to what?

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 am

FallingHigher wrote:So I visited Austin this weekend to get a feel for the area and get a jump start on apartment hunting. I found out three things 1) apartments in Austin (near the law school especially) are crazy expensive. 2) I love Austin 3) I need to get a dog. haha

Where are you comparing prices to? Compared to where I live now apartments are more expensive, but compared to Boston, NYC, ect...they seem to be pretty cheap.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”