University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dkb17xzx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Just wondering...how many here are considering paying sticker (in-state or out of state)?

Like other similarly ranked schools, I don't think it's worth it out of state sticker. In state sticker is another story, and it could be someone's best option since its about 20k/yr cheaper than Vandy, GULC, etc. I'd also rather pay in state sticker than go to SMU/Baylor/UH with only a small scholarship.


but instate will still come out to 150-160K with a 20% shot at biglaw - worth it?

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am

MacB wrote:Not to mention that if you go through the motions of establishing residency in Texas for the sole purpose of the in-state tuition discount, you are essentially defrauding the state of tens of thousands of dollars.
No. The state set up these requirements such that if you satisfy them, you are by definition *not* defrauding the state. If, on the other hand, you lied and claimed to have owned and operated a business in Texas for a year but never did, then you would be defrauding the state. Protip: Making up rules will not serve you well in law school.

I am part of the last class that had a fairly easy route to in-state status (buying real property in Texas), and it worked out well for me. If there's a way for you to follow these new rules and save money, do it. But I would caution all of you that attending UT at in-state sticker is still an incredibly expensive proposition.

I understand that a lot of you are really excited about the prospect of admission to such an awesome school and the prospect of an awesome career, but for your own sake, think carefully about the amount of debt you'll be in. According to Law School Transparency, the total nondiscounted debt-financed cost of a UT J.D. is $171,638 (in-state). If you don't win the biglaw lottery (and enjoy firm work enough to stay a few years), you may find yourself in a financial black hole -- and keep in mind that student loans are almost impossible to discharge in bankruptcy. I'd strongly recommend holding out for a scholarship before sending in your deposit.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby MacB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
MacB wrote:Not to mention that if you go through the motions of establishing residency in Texas for the sole purpose of the in-state tuition discount, you are essentially defrauding the state of tens of thousands of dollars.
No. The state set up these requirements such that if you satisfy them, you are by definition *not* defrauding the state. If, on the other hand, you lied and claimed to have owned and operated a business in Texas for a year but never did, then you would be defrauding the state. Protip: Making up rules will not serve you well in law school.



The latter situation is more in line with what I was referencing. It would be quite easy to falsely claim that you are self-employed or a homemaker in order to satisfy the "gainfully employed" stipulation and fraudulently obtain the tuition discount.

pollo hermanos
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pollo hermanos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 pm

but instate will still come out to 150-160K with a 20% shot at biglaw - worth it?


More like 30-33% shot at big law.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 pm

pollo hermanos wrote:
but instate will still come out to 150-160K with a 20% shot at biglaw - worth it?


More like 30-33% shot at big law.


Especially when u consider ~10% get Federal Clerkships. Thats 20% number is from the class that interviewed in fall 2009.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
pollo hermanos wrote:
but instate will still come out to 150-160K with a 20% shot at biglaw - worth it?


More like 30-33% shot at big law.


Especially when u consider ~10% get Federal Clerkships. Thats 20% number is from the class that interviewed in fall 2009.

Yeah. While I do understand the legal market isn't great, it's definitely better than it was a few years ago, which these employment stats we're using are based on. I think people on TLS are definitely at least a bit too pessimistic wrt outcomes at all schools and especially UT going forward.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Just got my scholarship letter in the mail... 12k/year!!! Really pumped :D :D :D

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby fruitoftheloom » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Congrats Woke! When were you accepted?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Congrats Woke! When were you accepted?

Thanks! Last Monday, 2/11.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Just got an email for a reception by the Dean here in Austin on March 8th. What do I wear haha

Edit: also, is anyone else here going?

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:16 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Just got an email for a reception by the Dean here in Austin on March 8th. What do I wear haha

Edit: also, is anyone else here going?


Suit up

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Just got an email for a reception by the Dean here in Austin on March 8th. What do I wear haha

Edit: also, is anyone else here going?


Suit up


Well shit, who owns a suit in Austin? The fact that I wear pants to work is unique.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:23 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Just got an email for a reception by the Dean here in Austin on March 8th. What do I wear haha

Edit: also, is anyone else here going?


Suit up


Well shit, who owns a suit in Austin? The fact that I wear pants to work is unique.

lawyers

User avatar
acs507
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby acs507 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Do scholarships at UT come with the admissions packet or later?
I really like the school and will be attending ASD in March, but can't even consider attending at sticker.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm

acs507 wrote:Do scholarships at UT come with the admissions packet or later?
I really like the school and will be attending ASD in March, but can't even consider attending at sticker.

later. 1-3 weeks.

che3055
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby che3055 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

.
Last edited by che3055 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Being gainfully employed during 1L would be an absolutely terrible idea.

che3055
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby che3055 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

.
Last edited by che3055 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

che3055 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Being gainfully employed during 1L would be an absolutely terrible idea.


I don't disagree at all. But would that be possible, or is there something that I am missing?

It's technically possible but they pretty much say that you're really fighting an uphill battle trying to get residency if you don't have it the first year.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Also if you have a 168 or above and a solid GPA the school will often give you instate tuition.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Anyone else in here (who went to UT for undergrad) going to the UT@UT Law Day?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Also if you have a 168 or above and a solid GPA the school will often give you instate tuition.

Interesting. Is this indicated on the school's admissions page or do you know this by word of mouth?

che3055
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby che3055 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm

.
Last edited by che3055 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Definitely retake June. Last cycle I did that and had deposited at UH and when I scored higher they offered me a 45K scholarship. Money most likely doesn't "run out" it's just cross-subsidized tuition breaks. UT was hurting hard last year for matriculants and could very well be the case this year, I doubt they would not give you money when you have better numbers. And if they don't, withdraw and reapply (to them or other schools) next cycle. You have all the leverage.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am

mg7 wrote:Anyone else in here (who went to UT for undergrad) going to the UT@UT Law Day?


Yes I'll be there! Are there any other UT undergrads here?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”