University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DA956

New

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by DA956 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 am

JXander wrote:
TEXAS91 wrote: Waiting 5 and a half months has been pure torture...
Ohmygosh. Has it been that long???
Oh wow. I feel for you guys. I've been waiting since early Dec and it feels like forever. I have a full shopping cart at the UT Coop site and a $500 check. Just waiting on a word from UT and I'm pressing check out and sending that deposit THE NEXT DAY. I'm pretty debt averse but I lost all gives a shits about $ when it comes to UT.

mediocrity

New

Post by mediocrity » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 am

Lurker here posting after being admitted. In-state splitter with very low GPA (engineering), any other IP lawyers in the making in here?

Just got the email for UT@UT day and hoping it's not full yet! Very excited to be continuing my education in Austin, hook 'em.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am

mediocrity wrote:Lurker here posting after being admitted. In-state splitter with very low GPA (engineering), any other IP lawyers in the making in here?

Just got the email for UT@UT day and hoping it's not full yet! Very excited to be continuing my education in Austin, hook 'em.
Fellow UT grad here, congrats!

mg7

Bronze

Post by mg7 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:16 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
mediocrity wrote:Lurker here posting after being admitted. In-state splitter with very low GPA (engineering), any other IP lawyers in the making in here?

Fellow UT grad here, congrats!
+1 Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:18 pm

hey bros-- checking in. congrats to all the recent admits. im seriously considering UT, but have a few reservations about job prospects.

when people say that staying in austin is impossible--how impossible? i see that a few firms have little branches in the area from this list. are those associates new hires or transfers? does anyone know the probability of landing a job in austin post graduation?

ive dwelt all over texas, including houston and dfw, and i know it would be torturous for me to live elsewhere in the state. music and art scenes sustain me, i need to be paddling around in a cultural artery.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 pm

bitsy wrote:hey bros-- checking in. congrats to all the recent admits. im seriously considering UT, but have a few reservations about job prospects.

when people say that staying in austin is impossible--how impossible? i see that a few firms have little branches in the area from this list. are those associates new hires or transfers? does anyone know the probability of landing a job in austin post graduation?

ive dwelt all over texas, including houston and dfw, and i know it would be torturous for me to live elsewhere in the state. music and art scenes sustain me, i need to be paddling around in a cultural artery.
Its pretty damn tough. Most of the Austin offices are very tiny compared to Houston/Dallas. I spoke with the head of the career office at one of the receptions and he said the Houston/Dallas offices are always shocked at the GPA's of the kids the Austin firms get. Looking at top 10 percent with great ties to even have a shot.

FromDCtoWhere

New

Post by FromDCtoWhere » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Just got the call, accepted! Applied 1/14.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
bitsy wrote:hey bros-- checking in. congrats to all the recent admits. im seriously considering UT, but have a few reservations about job prospects.

Its pretty damn tough. Most of the Austin offices are very tiny compared to Houston/Dallas. I spoke with the head of the career office at one of the receptions and he said the Houston/Dallas offices are always shocked at the GPA's of the kids the Austin firms get. Looking at top 10 percent with great ties to even have a shot.
I haven't talked to any 1Ls that have SAs in Austin this summer, despite knowing people that have them in Dallas and D.C.

From what I know, the only real exception to the rule is if you pass the patent bar (or at least are eligible).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:Just got in! I am an out of stater. Is it possible/easy to get in-state tuition after 1L? And I saw it discussed already in this thread, but does anyone else have insight on how insulated the Austin/Texas market is from outsiders?

What at=re your numbers. I was given in state tuition and I am an out of state student. I am 0L so certainly not an expert on the Texas legal market but I have asked a lot of current students, and the answer I usually get is Austin in very insulated, while Houston is much easier to crack. I think I have heard Dallas is somewhere in between.
Thanks! I'm around median. I guess I'll wait for the scholarship info to see. Good to hear though!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:

^This. I know some classmates who got biglaw 2L SAs in Austin, but the ones I knew were all law review with Austin-specific ties. It's not impossible, but it's difficult. (Basically, you should not be Austin-or-bust, because the odds are pretty against you at that point.)

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 am

i got the waitlist email.

i was ED, held for RD, interviewed 2/12

i'm trying to decide if i really want to be on the waitlist email. i have to reply within 2 weeks whether i want to get on the waitlist or not. i got some $$ from CU-boulder and I've been waiting for my quarter decade life to live in the mountains.

ahhhh.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

nolabreeze wrote:i got the waitlist email.

i'm trying to decide if i really want to be on the waitlist email. i have to reply within 2 weeks whether i want to get on the waitlist or not. i got some $$ from CU-boulder and I've been waiting for my quarter decade life to live in the mountains.

ahhhh.
I was WLed this morning, too. Applied in September for ED, interviewed 2/13.

Is it too overzealous to ask to be on the WL today?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 am

JXander wrote:
nolabreeze wrote:i got the waitlist email.

ahhhh.
I was WLed this morning, too. Applied in September for ED, interviewed 2/13.

Is it too overzealous to ask to be on the WL today?
I don't think so. I would also sign up for the June LSAT if you're serious about attending UT. Higher LSAT seems to cure most ills (unless maybe if you're a splitter).

TEXAS91

New

Post by TEXAS91 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Do people actually get off the waitlist? Or is it really just false hope?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

I know some got off the waitlist last year and even a few that were straight out denied, but that might have been an outlier as they were really struggling to hit the required resident number.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

TEXAS91 wrote:Do people actually get off the waitlist? Or is it really just false hope?
UT pulled a LOT of people off the waitlist last cycle, and even called up a couple rejected applicants. They were really surprised at their yield last year, and while I think they are prepared this cycle, I still think it's VERY likely they will go deep into their waitlist. If UT is your top choice, hang on into the bitter end!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
TEXAS91 wrote:Do people actually get off the waitlist? Or is it really just false hope?
UT pulled a LOT of people off the waitlist last cycle, and even called up a couple rejected applicants. They were really surprised at their yield last year, and while I think they are prepared this cycle, I still think it's VERY likely they will go deep into their waitlist.
Yeah, the rumor is that those on the WL get some love. My 1L friend said that at least a quarter of his class is from the WL and most of them are top students.
shifty_eyed wrote:If UT is your top choice, hang on into the bitter end!
Never lettin' go!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
UT pulled a LOT of people off the waitlist last cycle, and even called up a couple rejected applicants. They were really surprised at their yield last year, and while I think they are prepared this cycle, I still think it's VERY likely they will go deep into their waitlist.
Yeah, the rumor is that those on the WL get some love. My 1L friend said that at least a quarter of his class is from the WL and most of them are top students.
Never lettin' go!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 pm

JXander wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Never lettin' go!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm

JXander wrote:
Never lettin' go!
I'm rooting for you and the other WLed TLSers!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
JXander wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Never lettin' go!
Lulz. And +1

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:48 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
JXander wrote:
Never lettin' go!
Thanks, we appreciate it!

ndel21

Bronze

Post by ndel21 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

JXander wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
JXander wrote:
Never lettin' go!
Thanks, we appreciate it!

This is how i feel about UT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSzz4OgJzY

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 pm

ndel21 wrote:This is how i feel about UT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSzz4OgJzY
Oh man...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”