University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
boris78

New

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by boris78 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 am

Also, I can't state enough that you need to visit schools, at least the ones you are seriously considering. There are differences in facilities, student attitudes, etc. Also what about the location? If you've never visited, you really need to see what the town is like. I've visited all my top choices (just 3-4 schools), so that when I have offers I can be sure what I'm accepting. Of course for personal reasons I had to move this up, since my schedule will be a bit crazy next couple months, attending admitted student days might be difficult for me.

Gsd91

New

Post by Gsd91 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 am

Does anyone have insight into the interview process?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 am

Just wondering...how many here are considering paying sticker (in-state or out of state)?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Just wondering...how many here are considering paying sticker (in-state or out of state)?
To those accepted, waiting, or both?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Just wondering...how many here are considering paying sticker (in-state or out of state)?
I've decided to think of in-state like getting a big scholarship each year in order to trick myself into thinking I'm not paying sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

romanticegotist wrote:I've decided to think of in-state like getting a big scholarship each year in order to trick myself into thinking I'm not paying sticker.
Amen. Proud to be a Texan.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

Like other similarly ranked schools, I don't think it's worth it out of state sticker. In state sticker is another story, and it could be someone's best option since its about 20k/yr cheaper than Vandy, GULC, etc. I'd also rather pay in state sticker than go to SMU/Baylor/UH with only a small scholarship.

boris78

New

Post by boris78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am

I was in the residency office at Texas last week checking on my status (been gone too long and they have tightened up the ways to claim in-state). Everyone is pretty much automatically in state the second year. So out of state just for 1L.

I did also visit Baylor last week. No disrespect to them -- they have a great trial advocacy program, but I do think there is a significant difference between schools. IMHO it's worth it to go to somewhere like UT. UT will open doors in Texas AND outside.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

boris78 wrote:I was in the residency office at Texas last week checking on my status (been gone too long and they have tightened up the ways to claim in-state). Everyone is pretty much automatically in state the second year. So out of state just for 1L.

I did also visit Baylor last week. No disrespect to them -- they have a great trial advocacy program, but I do think there is a significant difference between schools. IMHO it's worth it to go to somewhere like UT. UT will open doors in Texas AND outside.
Uhhhh no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am

Assuming you are paying sticker because it is (or is close to) your best option, I'd take Austin at in-state sticker in a heartbeat. Out of state on the other hand... mmmmmmno.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
boris78 wrote:I was in the residency office at Texas last week checking on my status (been gone too long and they have tightened up the ways to claim in-state). Everyone is pretty much automatically in state the second year. So out of state just for 1L.

Uhhhh no.
Uhhhh yes.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:15 am

Definitely would not pay out of state sticker. Instate sticker...I guess that is defensible and probably someone's best option like Shifty said but just because it's your best option doesn't mean you can't pass on the whole proposition in general if it's still a bad bet. Only roughly 70% of the class became lawyers according to LST and only 30% had a chance to pay off big debt.

Personally I have instate tuition and a nice scholarship and I'm still afraid of the debt. I'll still be 100k in the whole and how will I ever pay that off if I'm not in that lofty 30%? Then again I'm sure I'm more debt averse than most because I am old and not single.

Btw I love UT and am strongly considering it so not meaning any of this as a slight, just being honest. Debt is scary and can be a real problem.

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am

I don't see how that proves you can establish residency after one year of living in Texas as a student...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 am

JXander wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

Uhhhh no.
Uhhhh yes.
Show me where on that link that it is possible for someone who was not considered instate for the first year to gain residency for the 2nd year. They set up the system so exactly that isn't possible. You can't establish residency after you already start attending school there unless you get married to a Texas resident or buy property or something.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am

Also in their FAQ:

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 am

MacB wrote:I don't see how that proves you can establish residency after one year of living in Texas as a student...
You create a new "permanent address" in Texas. It's not done often, but it's still doable for those who want the discount.

Really though, talk to the residency office. They will probably be more clear, direct, and helpful with you on this matter than admissions (and probably random people in this thread, like myself) will be.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 am

JXander wrote:
MacB wrote:I don't see how that proves you can establish residency after one year of living in Texas as a student...
You create a new "permanent address" in Texas. It's not done often, but it's still doable for those who want the discount.

Really though, talk to the residency office. They will probably be more clear, direct, and helpful with you on this matter than admissions (and probably random people in this thread, like myself) will be.
You can't just *do* that... Do you really think that people just haven't looked into something that would save them tens of thousands of dollars? I'm sorry to be harsh here but this kind of misinformation could be very harmful to prospective out of state students. THIS is what you actually have to accomplish to create a "permanent address"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 am

WokeUpInACar wrote: I'm sorry to be harsh here but this kind of misinformation could be very harmful to prospective out of state students.
JXander wrote:Really though, talk to the residency office. They will probably be more clear, direct, and helpful with you on this matter than admissions (and probably random people in this thread, like myself) will be.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 am

Any deferees hear back yet?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

JXander wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote: I'm sorry to be harsh here but this kind of misinformation could be very harmful to prospective out of state students.
JXander wrote:Really though, talk to the residency office. They will probably be more clear, direct, and helpful with you on this matter than admissions (and probably random people in this thread, like myself) will be.
Maybe just don't condescendingly attempt to contradict accurate information in the future?

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
JXander wrote:

You can't just *do* that... Do you really think that people just haven't looked into something that would save them tens of thousands of dollars? I'm sorry to be harsh here but this kind of misinformation could be very harmful to prospective out of state students. THIS is what you actually have to accomplish to create a "permanent address"

+1

Not to mention that if you go through the motions of establishing residency in Texas for the sole purpose of the in-state tuition discount, you are essentially defrauding the state of tens of thousands of dollars.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 am

As far as I know you can't just come in for school and establish residency. My brother and I went through this in undergrad. It wasn't until my parents moved to Dallas and BOUGHT a townhouse that my brother was finally considered instate. luckily he finished when they moved out.

On the other hand I have been working in Texas and paying taxes for several years and was able to gain my residency through working/filing taxes. As far as I know you have to either be working for a year or bought property/a house to establish residency.

Colorado is the only school I know of that will allow you to get in state after your first year. Im sure a handful of others do, but most states do not. They want to know that you are actually committed to the state for purposes other than school before they consider you a resident.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
JXander wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

Uhhhh no.
Uhhhh yes.
Show me where on that link that it is possible for someone who was not considered instate for the first year to gain residency for the 2nd year. They set up the system so exactly that isn't possible. You can't establish residency after you already start attending school there unless you get married to a Texas resident or buy property or something.
+1. Everything I've heard is that its very unlikely to get instate for 2 and 3L.

I definitely wouldnt pay sticker at outofstate not worth it. Like others said paying sticker in-state is not a bad option but its still 150k debt and I wouldnt personally do it. But if ur looking at in-state with scholarship its a no brainer if you want to practice in Texas.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 am

JXander wrote:

either one

ndel21

Bronze

Post by ndel21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
JXander wrote:

either one

If they accept me, I would have no problem paying sticker.. I would love a scholarship, but UT is my number one choice. Debt is a scary factor, but it is up to the individual on how to handle it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”