University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rabbitrun

Bronze

Re: University of TEXAS c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by rabbitrun » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 am

Oh my gawd. They are making me use the ID and password that was set up when I applied for UG. No, I don't remember my pw from 7 years ago. No, my hotmail email is no longer active. I'm just going to assume the worst. I have pretty low expectations for my chances.

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
UMich11 wrote:any new movement? I submitted EA near the deadline and so far nothing since i went complete.
I am still waiting anxiously! I'm a splitter and applied on Nov 8. I wish I knew when to expect a decision by. It looks like last year's ED applicants all heard back by Dec 7 (or were told they were held), but they did extend the deadline a week this year.
still waiting here and submitted 10/31 :( i'm pretty sure i'm auto-ding and i wish they'd just give me a swift "NOOO WE WILL NOT TAKE YOU." i'm slightly lower than median-GPA and below 25% LSAT. Whether it's WL or ding I just want to know :(

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I was held... out of state... waiting...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:31 pm

rabbitrun wrote:Oh my gawd. They are making me use the ID and password that was set up when I applied for UG. No, I don't remember my pw from 7 years ago. No, my hotmail email is no longer active. I'm just going to assume the worst. I have pretty low expectations for my chances.
The exact same thing happened to me with my EID. I ended up trying my old hotmail account and found that it's still accessible and receiving regular spam. :D

Logging into my status checker was pretty anticlimactic though, and it seems like many are receiving calls/emails before they notice a status checker change. :?

kaf5250

Bronze

Post by kaf5250 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 pm

just got my scholarship letter: in state tuition +12,000 a year scholarship. came in a regular small white envelope for anyone still waiting :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Congrats on the scholly. I wish you the best. Even if you opt to study somewhere else it is nice to know you have options.

Badges!?!

New

Post by Badges!?! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm

kaf5250 wrote:just got my scholarship letter: in state tuition +12,000 a year scholarship. came in a regular small white envelope for anyone still waiting :)
Right there with you on the scholarship kaf5250. Funny how receiving that one letter makes UT go from safety school to looking pretty damned good.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:57 am

kaf5250 wrote:just got my scholarship letter: in state tuition +12,000 a year scholarship. came in a regular small white envelope for anyone still waiting :)
Congrats!

coffeeaddict

Bronze

Post by coffeeaddict » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I just received my status checker at 2am PST. Are they reviewing apps over the weekends also??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I know several of you have been held. Do not fret. I was held. (Splitter). My advice right now is snail mail an LOCI, send an e-mail saying you've sent in an LOCI, and do an official visit.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 pm

emkay625 wrote:I know several of you have been held. Do not fret. I was held. (Splitter). My advice right now is snail mail an LOCI, send an e-mail saying you've sent in an LOCI, and do an official visit.
Scared to ask this question, but what is an LOCI?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:08 pm

JakeAsch wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I know several of you have been held. Do not fret. I was held. (Splitter). My advice right now is snail mail an LOCI, send an e-mail saying you've sent in an LOCI, and do an official visit.
Scared to ask this question, but what is an LOCI?
Don't be scared!

It stands for letter of continued interest.

Basically, you send a letter saying:

Paragraph 1: you still are very interested in the school, it remains your top choice after being held.
Paragraph 2: Why you love the school
Paragraph 3: Some update to your application/resume. If you're still in undergrad and your grades went up for this semester, tell them that (and be sure to send an upgraded transcript). If you're out of undergrad and you're working, tell them about a new accomplishment from work or some new volunteer activity you're doing.
Paragraph 4: reiterate your love for school. If you would withdraw everywhere else if you got accepted, tell them that. (This was the case for me).

I sent one after being held and another after being waitlisted. (For the record, I do not think they're why I got in off of the waitlist. I'm pretty sure I got in because they had an LSAT median problem and needed splitters).

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:I just received my status checker at 2am PST. Are they reviewing apps over the weekends also??
I recieved my status checker at the same time as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:27 pm

I also wanted to address another concern - some of you are fretting about will I/won't I get a scholarship. At UT that's pretty straightforward. They have very clear cut-offs. Last year, if you were a non-URM, if you were a 3.6 or above AND a 168 or above, you got an initial offer. I think all URMs got an offer. That's it, it's straightforward. (Note this could change given the yield problem of last year).

However, the negotiation process is straightforward as well. If you think you're going to end up at UT, you need to have apps in at the schools that are scholarship heavy and ranked between 10 and 25. Also SMU and UH and Baylor. (sometimes they will consider very heavy scholarships there as part of the negotiation process). Get it done early, I was told last year I waited too long and probably would've gotten more money than I did if I had done it earlier.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

emkay625 wrote:I also wanted to address another concern - some of you are fretting about will I/won't I get a scholarship. At UT that's pretty straightforward. They have very clear cut-offs. Last year, if you were a non-URM, if you were a 3.6 or above AND a 168 or above, you got an initial offer. I think all URMs got an offer. That's it, it's straightforward. (Note this could change given the yield problem of last year).

However, the negotiation process is straightforward as well. If you think you're going to end up at UT, you need to have apps in at the schools that are scholarship heavy and ranked between 10 and 25. Also SMU and UH and Baylor. (sometimes they will consider very heavy scholarships there as part of the negotiation process). Get it done early, I was told last year I waited too long and probably would've gotten more money than I did if I had done it earlier.
When did you do it last year?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:07 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I also wanted to address another concern - some of you are fretting about will I/won't I get a scholarship. At UT that's pretty straightforward. They have very clear cut-offs. Last year, if you were a non-URM, if you were a 3.6 or above AND a 168 or above, you got an initial offer. I think all URMs got an offer. That's it, it's straightforward. (Note this could change given the yield problem of last year).

When did you do it last year?
Not until the deadline. I think it was April 1.

Keef

New

Post by Keef » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AFS

New

Post by AFS » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 am

Texas 1L here. Just to let you guys know that a ton of our class was accepted off the waitlist last year. If you really want to attend UT and are willing to pay sticker for it, don't lose hope if you get waitlisted. Strange things can happen.

Action plan for those who get waitlisted:

1. LOCI's. Don't write too often, but every 3-4 weeks keeping the Adcomm updated on your stuff is good.
2. Plan a visit to the school. Visit the school. Present yourself well. It might not help you, but definitely won't hurt you.
3. Be from in-state. Seems like a lot of those accepted off the waitlist are from instate. Not to say it can't be done if you're from out-of-state, but in-staters definitely have an advantage.
4. Pray.

Best of luck to everyone.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:53 am

AFS wrote:3. Be from in-state. Seems like a lot of those accepted off the waitlist are from instate. Not to say it can't be done if you're from out-of-state, but in-staters definitely have an advantage.
This is because the school has a legal obligation to ensure the class is comprised of at least 65% Texas residents.

From Texas' TLS Profile:
Non-residents would be wise to submit their applications as early as possible, as the school cannot legally matriculate more than 35% non-resident students.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 pm

teiswei wrote:
AFS wrote:3. Be from in-state. Seems like a lot of those accepted off the waitlist are from instate. Not to say it can't be done if you're from out-of-state, but in-staters definitely have an advantage.
This is because the school has a legal obligation to ensure the class is comprised of at least 65% Texas residents.

From Texas' TLS Profile:
Non-residents would be wise to submit their applications as early as possible, as the school cannot legally matriculate more than 35% non-resident students.
Does the school have some leeway as to who they consider "Texas residents" for the purposes of admission? Looking at their residency application form, it appears that even though I'm a Virginia resident for income tax purposes, I *might* qualify as a Texas resident for admissions because 1) I Graduated high school in Texas, 2) I Lived in Texas for the three years prior to HS graduation, and 3) I Have Texas listed as my "home of record" on my military paperwork. The flowchart on the residency form didn't lead directly to "yes, you're a resident for admissions purposes", but it definitely sounded like a possibility.

Since I'd be attending under the GI Bill, in-state tuition would automatically be granted, but I suspect that's a different issue than the 65%/35% split for admissions purposes.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 pm

You are not a resident of the state of Texas. You are a resident of the state of Virginia.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:You are not a resident of the state of Texas. You are a resident of the state of Virginia.
That might well end up being the case, but the UT site specifically says that "Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is different from residency for voting or taxing purposes."

If they're just going to go off of the fact that I pay taxes and vote in Virginia, then why does the university's "Core Residency Questionnaire" ask things like whether I went to high school in Texas, whether I lived in Texas for the three years prior to HS graduation, or if Texas is my military home of record? That, coupled with the quoted part above, really makes it sound like there are ways to be a Texas resident for admissions purposes, other than voting and paying taxes there.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:49 pm

How does an applicant determine his or her status as a resident or nonresident?
Generally, an applicant must reside and establish a domicile in the state of Texas for a period of one year prior to enrolling as a student.

You are a Virginia resident for tuition purposes, not a Texas resident. You do not reside in Texas.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:How does an applicant determine his or her status as a resident or nonresident?
Generally, an applicant must reside and establish a domicile in the state of Texas for a period of one year prior to enrolling as a student.

You are a Virginia resident for tuition purposes, not a Texas resident. You do not reside in Texas.
Take a look at the Texas Core Residency Questionnaire - it has a flowchart in it with a BUNCH of questions that go way beyond just simply "where do you vote and pay taxes", or "where are you currently living"? Unfortunately, the flowchart doesn't terminate in a nice clear "YES/NO" decision, so you just have to fill out the relevant sections, send it in and see what they decide.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Scholarship info arrived Friday. I was offered in-state tuition and $15K per year. Total value $93,000.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”