Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm

sabanist wrote:
testaker wrote:Does anyone have an interview scheduled for tomorrow that has not yet been confirmed by the office? Trying to gauge whether this is the norm or not...

Send them an email. Hopefully the confirmation just got lost, but this is definitely something that warrants contacting them.

Call them *

Don't risk it with an email. Just shoot them a call.

ch235
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ch235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Dingalingalingalingaling!

Longtimelurk
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm

ch235 wrote:Dingalingalingalingaling!


Stats? Were you interviewed? Waitlisted?

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:
ch235 wrote:Dingalingalingalingaling!


Stats? Were you interviewed? Waitlisted?

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

toothbrush wrote:Call them *

Don't risk it with an email. Just shoot them a call.

For some reason I had it in my head that the number is only given to admitted students. derp.

User avatar
ObviousAlias
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ObviousAlias » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm

ch235 wrote:Dingalingalingalingaling!


+1

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:55 pm

sabanist wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Call them *

Don't risk it with an email. Just shoot them a call.

For some reason I had it in my head that the number is only given to admitted students. derp.

so preftentious :)

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:07 pm

toothbrush wrote:so preftentious :)

it was only because I rode the struggle bus when I tried to find it last week to call them about something and ended up finding it on the admitted students website :oops:

Sorry to the dings :(

User avatar
ObviousAlias
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ObviousAlias » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 pm

TIL that I'm not good enough for HLS. Best of luck to everyone remaining!

ch235
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ch235 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:56 pm

ch235 wrote:
Dingalingalingalingaling!



Stats? Were you interviewed? Waitlisted?


No waitlist or interview. 168 and a 3.7 from a top small liberal arts school, lots of good work experience and other softs. It was obviously a reach, but the fact that it's almost May and I STILL hadn't heard was weirding me out!

No worries! It makes my decision easy! I'm off to Berkeley!

Thanks all.

La.Chocolate
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby La.Chocolate » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Is there anyone who didn't do so well during their JS1 but still managed to get in?

I'm preparing for my JS1, and I'm freaking out, because I often give the impression that I'm retarded.

English is my second language (I'm not URM). I have median GPA, below median LSAT, but fairly strong softs.
I have a horrible habit of rambling on and on when talking (I've been diagnosed with ADHD, but don't take medications).

I was also briefly placed in a class for retarded students when I was young, and people who don't know me well, when they first encounter me, often think that I'm slightly autistic or retarded (but even close friends sometimes jokingly call me "retarded").

Feel free to PM me. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

User avatar
domino
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby domino » Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am

I definitely felt my JS1 had some really rocky moments and still got in. I think there are a few of us in the thread.

Fwiw I'm pretty weird, and I think that was obvious in the interview haha. But I tried to be genuine and to give answers that showed my real interest, curiosity, and passion--I think this came through and helped quite a bit. Just be yourself.

La.Chocolate
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby La.Chocolate » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 am

domino wrote:I definitely felt my JS1 had some really rocky moments and still got in. I think there are a few of us in the thread.

Fwiw I'm pretty weird, and I think that was obvious in the interview haha. But I tried to be genuine and to give answers that showed my real interest, curiosity, and passion--I think this came through and helped quite a bit. Just be yourself.


Thanks for your response!

I feel a bit more comfortable to just be myself (minus the awkward, crazy side).

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

La.Chocolate wrote:
domino wrote:I definitely felt my JS1 had some really rocky moments and still got in. I think there are a few of us in the thread.

Fwiw I'm pretty weird, and I think that was obvious in the interview haha. But I tried to be genuine and to give answers that showed my real interest, curiosity, and passion--I think this came through and helped quite a bit. Just be yourself.


Thanks for your response!

I feel a bit more comfortable to just be myself (minus the awkward, crazy side).


There are some things worth worrying about but personality or speaking mannerisms aren't among them. All you can do is focus on the questions they might ask, know why you want to go to law school generally and H specifically. Once you get into the interview, you'll see pretty quickly that JS (and I'm sure KB is the same way) are nice, friendly people who are legimtiantely interested in knowing who we are as prospective students.

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 am

La.Chocolate wrote:Is there anyone who didn't do so well during their JS1 but still managed to get in?

I'm preparing for my JS1, and I'm freaking out, because I often give the impression that I'm retarded.

English is my second language (I'm not URM). I have median GPA, below median LSAT, but fairly strong softs.
I have a horrible habit of rambling on and on when talking (I've been diagnosed with ADHD, but don't take medications).

I was also briefly placed in a class for retarded students when I was young, and people who don't know me well, when they first encounter me, often think that I'm slightly autistic or retarded (but even close friends sometimes jokingly call me "retarded").

Feel free to PM me. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!


Please do your best to just relax and be yourself. The whole interviewing via Skype thing is inherently weird and anxiety producing. I left my interview convinced I screwed up royally but still got in. If there are certain things you do that you know might create a negative perception, I suggest practicing with a friend and they can tell you if what you're feeling can be perceived by someone else. We often are our own worst critics. The friend could also clue you in to a thing or two that you're not even aware of that you might want to address.

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby vzapana » Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 am

dawyzest1 wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:Is there anyone who didn't do so well during their JS1 but still managed to get in?

I'm preparing for my JS1, and I'm freaking out, because I often give the impression that I'm retarded.

English is my second language (I'm not URM). I have median GPA, below median LSAT, but fairly strong softs.
I have a horrible habit of rambling on and on when talking (I've been diagnosed with ADHD, but don't take medications).

I was also briefly placed in a class for retarded students when I was young, and people who don't know me well, when they first encounter me, often think that I'm slightly autistic or retarded (but even close friends sometimes jokingly call me "retarded").

Feel free to PM me. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!


Please do your best to just relax and be yourself. The whole interviewing via Skype thing is inherently weird and anxiety producing. I left my interview convinced I screwed up royally but still got in. If there are certain things you do that you know might create a negative perception, I suggest practicing with a friend and they can tell you if what you're feeling can be perceived by someone else. We often are our own worst critics. The friend could also clue you in to a thing or two that you're not even aware of that you might want to address.


+1.

User avatar
edgeofthenight
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed May 01, 2013 2:00 pm

...
Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

skprowler
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby skprowler » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Dinged. Took a while.

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
When you do the JS1, set up your desktop so you can easily see the questions, while still looking at the camera to maintain eye contact. If something catches you completely off-guard, take a deep breath, say "let me think about that," pause, and glance over your notes and see what you have to work with. Pausing for a second is absolutely no big deal and looks better than rambling. Although, I verrry much did the latter for one of the questions and I still got in, so don't stress too much if it happens.

Good luck!


This is great advice. It's always better to take a pause before answering any question you're even a little stumped by. It is no problem, and in fact looks like you're thinking and trying to give a thoughtful and well considered answer. They are asking you big questions, it would only be natural to want to think a tick or few before giving your response.

La.Chocolate
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby La.Chocolate » Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:Is there anyone who didn't do so well during their JS1 but still managed to get in?

I'm preparing for my JS1, and I'm freaking out, because I often give the impression that I'm retarded.

English is my second language (I'm not URM). I have median GPA, below median LSAT, but fairly strong softs.
I have a horrible habit of rambling on and on when talking (I've been diagnosed with ADHD, but don't take medications).

I was also briefly placed in a class for retarded students when I was young, and people who don't know me well, when they first encounter me, often think that I'm slightly autistic or retarded (but even close friends sometimes jokingly call me "retarded").

Feel free to PM me. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!


My biggest advice is to write down answers to all of the typical JS1 questions (they can be found on the very last post of this page), as well as some back-up sentences about your background, interests, passion, etc. Practice saying them so you sound confident and have a natural tone and flow. If you're really nervous, film yourself answering the questions beforehand so you can make adjustments.

When you do the JS1, set up your desktop so you can easily see the questions, while still looking at the camera to maintain eye contact. If something catches you completely off-guard, take a deep breath, say "let me think about that," pause, and glance over your notes and see what you have to work with. Pausing for a second is absolutely no big deal and looks better than rambling. Although, I verrry much did the latter for one of the questions and I still got in, so don't stress too much if it happens.

Good luck!


Thank you edgeofthenight and all others for the heartwarming advice.
I will make sure to write down my answers and practice as much as I can.

I will let you guys know how I do!

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 am

I couldn't let that post be the end of the thread.

For future readers, this epic is continued in the Held at Harvard thread, and later the Harvard Waitlist thread.

For my fellow members of the class of 2016, I encourage you to update your LSN profiles so that future generations will learn from our data.
I would also encourage you to announce where you ended up in the Class of 2016 thread.

This has been the Harvard Applicants thread. Thank you for reading. :)
Last edited by Lavitz on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 am

Last.

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

TripTrip wrote:Last.


What?

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Last.


What?


Would've been a solid ending to this thread if you'd just let trips post ride :roll:

Longtimelurk
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:17 am

It's so harddddddd to say goodbyeeeeeeee




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, JazzyMac, Kaziende, Long shot hero and 5 guests