Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:16 pm

TripTrip wrote:June is when most of the WL--> accept people hear.


I'm glad to hear this, because I totally wrote that I would be willing to stay on the WL until the end of June in my LOCI yesterday.

volp
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby volp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 pm

facile princeps wrote:
volp wrote:
jselson wrote:
volp wrote:so idk if this is dumb but

what's the average hls financial aid package? what does a really good one look like?


A good one is half, and it means you (and your parents) are poor or over 29 without much savings/assets. A great one is full, and it means you're older with a family and kids. Average is closer to 10k a year, more or less.


half of the $78,000 tuition (incl room and board)? so a 'full' is $78,000?

The maximum grant is the difference between your student budget ($78000ish) and the base loan ($43100 <--- made up of federal and HLS loans). For example, the most needy of us would get close to $35k if the default student budget was used ($78k - $43k) and we weren't expected to contribute anything towards the budget. However, if they determine that you're able to contribute something, that grant amount would be lowered by the amount they expect you to pay.

Whenever people get grants that cover the full tuition or close ($50000ish), it's because their student budget was increased from $78k for various reasons. For example, someone with a wife and child may get an adjusted student budget of $95k. After deducting the base loan, we're left with roughly $52k. If that person is not deemed to be able to make a financial contribution towards the cost of attendance (because of no assets/savings, etc), then they'd prob get a grant of around $50-52k. IIRC, that's the only way people can get full tuition grants. In other words, on a regular student budget of $78k, it's not possible to get more than $35k because you are required to take the base loan as a condition of accepting grants.

tl;dr: Your grant is the difference between your student budget (normally around $78k) and the base loan ($43k). If they don't think you can pay anything, you should get the full difference or close (around $30-35k), and it's entirely need based.


great explanation, thanks!! question answered 8)

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 am

I had a horrible dream last night. I dreamed that I was in limbo at Harvard and somehow gained access to a super secret spreadsheet containing applicant information as well as notes written by the adcomms about each applicant. The weird thing was that it had my real name plus the usernames of some TLSers though I don't remember them now. Some people had JS2s next to their names in the spreadsheet, while others had waitlist written next to theirs. The admissions committee had written negative things about me. They wrote that I wasn't cut out for Harvard and that my interview was a joke. I remember I tried to turn in a loci and they laughed at me, wondering what shenanigans I was up to next in my loci.

Weird ass dream.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I had a horrible dream last night. I dreamed that I was in limbo at Harvard and somehow gained access to a super secret spreadsheet containing applicant information as well as notes written by the adcomms about each applicant. The weird thing was that it had my real name plus the usernames of some TLSers though I don't remember them now. Some people had JS2s next to their names in the spreadsheet, while others had waitlist written next to theirs. The admissions committee had written negative things about me. They wrote that I wasn't cut out for Harvard and that my interview was a joke. I remember I tried to turn in a loci and they laughed at me, wondering what shenanigans I was up to next in my loci.

Weird ass dream.


people need to relax

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm

This is for you, bosmer:

Image

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I had chinese food the night before. Won't be eating that again for a long time. I had a homemade meal tonight and expect a more uneventful sleep. Here's to (hopefully) more positive movement tomorrow.

User avatar
siredwrdross
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby siredwrdross » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I had chinese food the night before. Won't be eating that again for a long time. I had a homemade meal tonight and expect a more uneventful sleep. Here's to (hopefully) more positive movement tomorrow.


*Giggles immaturely at "hoping for more positive movement" after discussing one's diet for the last two nights.*

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 pm

siredwrdross wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:I had chinese food the night before. Won't be eating that again for a long time. I had a homemade meal tonight and expect a more uneventful sleep. Here's to (hopefully) more positive movement tomorrow.


*Giggles immaturely at "hoping for more positive movement" after discussing one's diet for the last two nights.*


Yeah, I see what I did. Can't blame you for the giggles. :mrgreen:

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I had chinese food the night before. Won't be eating that again for a long time. I had a homemade meal tonight and expect a more uneventful sleep. Here's to (hopefully) more positive movement tomorrow.


thatsracist.png

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 am

I get weird dreams during those rare occasions after eating Taco Bell.

helix, I realize I am discriminatory...just against craptastic food. (just this batch of chinese food :) )

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am

fine ill say it: this page is a correlation vs causation flaw

i dont feel good about that

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 am

I had a Harvard dream last night too... Y'all are a bad influence.

In my dream, Harvard was actually Hogwarts. It was in the UK and everything.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:35 am

sabanist wrote:I had a Harvard dream last night too... Y'all are a bad influence.

In my dream, Harvard was actually Hogwarts. It was in the UK and everything.

well.. that's not a Harvard dream at all.

yerawizardharrry.jpg

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 am

toothbrush wrote:well.. that's not a Harvard dream at all.

yerawizardharrry.jpg

It totally was. JS was there, and she kept telling us not to tell our friends or family where we actually were and reveal the big secret about Harvard.
I'm going to lobby for a class on magical law at ASW.

User avatar
siredwrdross
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby siredwrdross » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

sabanist wrote:
toothbrush wrote:well.. that's not a Harvard dream at all.

yerawizardharrry.jpg

It totally was. JS was there, and she kept telling us not to tell our friends or family where we actually were and reveal the big secret about Harvard.
I'm going to lobby for a class on magical law at ASW.


Good idea. Reform is needed. Some of those laws are quite draconian. I mean, "the trace?" Talk about an invasion of privacy.

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:54 pm

JS2!!!!!!!!
I'm shaking
Held 1/11
Js1 4/3
Js2 4/8

Happiest day of my life.

Thanks to all of you.

That's a wrap

User avatar
siredwrdross
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby siredwrdross » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:JS2!!!!!!!!
I'm shaking
Held 1/11
Js1 4/3
Js2 4/8

Happiest day of my life.

Thanks to all of you.

That's a wrap


Grats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like "more positive movement" was right on!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:JS2!!!!!!!!
I'm shaking
Held 1/11
Js1 4/3
Js2 4/8

Happiest day of my life.

Thanks to all of you.

That's a wrap


Congrats!

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby applemaroon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:JS2!!!!!!!!
I'm shaking
Held 1/11
Js1 4/3
Js2 4/8

Happiest day of my life.

Thanks to all of you.

That's a wrap


Way to go, man!!! Congrats!

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Ok here's my numbers bec my cycle is over!!!!!!!!!!!


172/4.17

bakaaw
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bakaaw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm

congrats!

i'm happy for movement one way or the other! i had my js1 (which definitely could have gone better) a little over a week ago and figure i'll know my fate pretty well if i (don't) hear today.

definitely excited about the harvard possibility; it's be a dream obviously, but i've got solid options regardless. ready for my cycle to be done and these unyielding anxieties to be over.

(also, call me ms. js, please)

(also, looks like they're still taking high gpas over lsats)

User avatar
d330
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby d330 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

JS2. Bosmer you're next.

User avatar
jychun412
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jychun412 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:Ok here's my numbers bec my cycle is over!!!!!!!!!!!


172/4.17


Did you write LOCI? If yes, can I ask when?

User avatar
siredwrdross
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby siredwrdross » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm

d330 wrote:JS2. Bosmer you're next.


At long last! Seriously, that is impressive.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finickywalrus, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, jstans, Photomike2, Tomthecat, Why???, XUMickeal and 15 guests