Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vman21

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby vman21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 pm

d[-.-]b
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 am

vman21 wrote:This is probably a very noob question so forgive my ignorance:

If you don't get JS2 in the first wave, but you were part of the first wave of JS1, is it possible you will get JS2 in the second wave, or is it certain you will be held until much later -- i.e. march/april?

Not really a noob question. Nothing is certain but most likely being held until at least after the New Year. I don't think I've ever seen a first-wave JS1 get a JS2 in the second wave.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 am

Holding out hope for today, anyone?

Harvard: Call me maybe?

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:14 am

Lavitz: enough JS2 talk!!!

js1s today??????

hopeful16

Postby hopeful16 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am

JedBartlett wrote:Holding out hope for today, anyone?

Harvard: Call me maybe?

You took your time with the call
I took no time with the fall

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous4444 wrote:Lavitz: enough JS2 talk!!!

js1s today??????

+1. :)

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

js1s today??????

Not sure since now I can't even access the interview website. No idea what that's about.

It really depends on whether or not they're planning to conduct any interviews next week. In the past, they definitely conducted at least a few phone interviews during Thanksgiving week. But it's also conceivable that they'll spend one day next week doing JS2s, another day sending out JS1s for time slots beginning the week after, and the other two days reading the glut of apps they've probably received since the LSAT score release.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:57 am

Lavitz wrote:

js1s today??????

Not sure since now I can't even access the interview website. No idea what that's about.

It really depends on whether or not they're planning to conduct any interviews next week. In the past, they definitely conducted at least a few phone interviews during Thanksgiving week. But it's also conceivable that they'll spend one day next week doing JS2s, another day sending out JS1s for time slots beginning the week after, and the other two days reading the glut of apps they've probably received since the LSAT score release.

This theory makes sense to me in that they need a "regroup" day in there somewhere. It's likely either today or next Wednesday. My guess is you can't see the schedule because they're modifying it....could indicate more interview slots next week.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Just submitted today.
Checking in.

176/3.84

Where can I learn more about these JS1/2/etc terms?

Also, how much time do you have between when you are asked to interview and when you interview? I will probably be on the road so I will have to plan ahead and find a starbucks or something on that day to have at it.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 pm

sinfiery wrote:Just submitted today.
Checking in.

176/3.84

Also, how much time do you have between when you are asked to interview and when you interview? I will probably be on the road so I will have to plan ahead and find a starbucks or something on that day to have at it.

Do yourself a favor and don't do your interview at Starbucks

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:44 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Checking in.

176/3.84

Do yourself a favor and don't do your interview at Starbucks

Going on an ...extended road trip.

It's either Starbucks, a gym, or truck stop? Maybe I can come home for it, but that would be difficult.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 am

Checking in.

176/3.84

JS1 is the interview; JS2 is the admit call. There's some more info in the OP.

You choose when you want to interview, but I don't know if there's any sort of deadline by which you have to sign up. My interview took place two weeks after my invite. And if you just submitted today, I expect you won't get an invite for another couple of weeks.

I don't know how long your extended road trip is going to be, but assuming you can't wait until you get home / spring for a cheap hotel for one night / find a quiet public place (not sure about starbucks since I never go there), then maybe you could e-mail admissions, explain your situation and ask them if you have to accept the invitation by a certain time or if you can just do the interview over the phone (which they have intimated is still possible).

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:13 am

Lavitz wrote:
JS1 is the interview; JS2 is the admit call. There's some more info in the OP.

You choose when you want to interview, but I don't know if there's any sort of deadline by which you have to sign up. My interview took place two weeks after my invite. And if you just submitted today, I expect you won't get an invite for another couple of weeks.

I don't know how long your extended road trip is going to be, but assuming you can't wait until you get home / spring for a cheap hotel with wi-fi for one night / find a quiet public place (not sure about starbucks since I never go there), then maybe you could e-mail admissions, explain your situation and ask them if you have to accept the invitation by a certain time or if you can just do the interview over the phone (which they have intimated is still possible).

Looking into it now. Awesome thread.

I didn't realize they set such a wide net for you to pick a time from. I should be fine just getting a cheap motel for that day if I can plan that far ahead.

I don't think my situation comes close to warranting such a request.

Now that it's on skype, are people wearing suits?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:22 am

sinfiery wrote:Now that it's on skype, are people wearing suits?

I did, but you don't have to. It just made sense to me since I always wear a suit to work anyway.

According to Jessica, "If you are most comfortable in a suit, you are welcome to wear one, however a suit is not required. A nice dress shirt is appropriate for both women and men. A t-shirt is not."

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 am

Lavitz wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Now that it's on skype, are people wearing suits?

I did, but you don't have to. It just made sense to me since I always wear a suit to work anyway.

According to Jessica, "If you are most comfortable in a suit, you are welcome to wear one, however a suit is not required. A nice dress shirt is appropriate for both women and men. A t-shirt is not."

Damn. Guess it's time to go shopping for a shirt.
Thanks.

Oiler

Postby Oiler » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm going to be applying next year and had a question concerning the Writing Section of the HLS application (section 7 I think?). Have there been any JS1/KB1s this year who didn't have anything substantial for that section? I'm wondering whether not having done a thesis or some other research with a professor reduces one's chances. Thanks!

StormyDay

Postby StormyDay » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Just checking in to say that I had my JS1 this past week.

I had one question that really tripped me up, so I thought I’d post it in hopes that the next person won’t make the same mistake as me. She asked, “Knowing that lots of applicants have done X, Y, and Z (naming all the things I think make me interesting as a candidate) what is something different that you could bring to HLS?” Since she prefaced the question by eliminating my best answer I just ended up throwing out some job interview adjectives (think: possimpible, linkativity, connectitude, etc.). I have since thought of a great answer, but it’s too late now. Oh well.

Good luck to everyone out there waiting for JS1s and JS2s!

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 pm

StormyDay wrote:Just checking in to say that I had my JS1 this past week.

I had one question that really tripped me up, so I thought I’d post it in hopes that the next person won’t make the same mistake as me. She asked, “Knowing that lots of applicants have done X, Y, and Z (naming all the things I think make me interesting as a candidate) what is something different that you could bring to HLS?” Since she prefaced the question by eliminating my best answer I just ended up throwing out some job interview adjectives (think: possimpible, linkativity, connectitude, etc.). I have since thought of a great answer, but it’s too late now. Oh well.

Good luck to everyone out there waiting for JS1s and JS2s!

Ooh, that is a tough one. Thank you for the heads up, and may your 2 come soon :)

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Oiler wrote:I'm going to be applying next year and had a question concerning the Writing Section of the HLS application (section 7 I think?). Have there been any JS1/KB1s this year who didn't have anything substantial for that section? I'm wondering whether not having done a thesis or some other research with a professor reduces one's chances. Thanks!

I just put some research papers down, nothing substantial.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for posting your experience, StormyDay. Good luck on your JS2!

Also,
StormyDay wrote:I just ended up throwing out some job interview adjectives (think: possimpible, linkativity, connectitude, etc.).

At first I was like :shock: "She has a strong vocabulary. I don't even know what these words mean."

Then I googled them and I think I get the joke now 8)

VasaVasori

Post removedn.

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 am

Post removedn.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am

VasaVasori wrote:I doubt whether it will make a huge difference in any application... but for that question on writing, what were they asking, exactly? I thought that by "any written work" they meant to pick a single written work out of all the written works you've produced to describe... but now that I re-read it I wonder if they meant to generally list all the significant works you've produced (though this seems to be a bit ridiculous...)

I listed the three of mine which had the most input from professors and gave a very brief description of each one. I think you're fine picking only one and giving a more substantial description though. The instruction lends itself to multiple interpretations, and it's kind of ironic how the question on writing has such confusing wording.

But you're right: this really isn't going to make a difference at all.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 am

Lavitz wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:I doubt whether it will make a huge difference in any application... but for that question on writing, what were they asking, exactly? I thought that by "any written work" they meant to pick a single written work out of all the written works you've produced to describe... but now that I re-read it I wonder if they meant to generally list all the significant works you've produced (though this seems to be a bit ridiculous...)

I listed the three of mine which had the most input from professors and gave a very brief description of each one. I think you're fine picking only one and giving a more substantial description though. The instruction lends itself to multiple interpretations, and it's kind of ironic how the question on writing has such confusing wording.

For what it's worth, I left that question blank (interpreted it to mean senior thesis-level work or higher, and I had no thesis) when I applied last cycle, and I got in

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

For what it's worth, I left that question blank (interpreted it to mean senior thesis-level work or higher, and I had no thesis) when I applied last cycle, and I got in

I just went back and looked at mine, because I could not even remember ever answering this question at all. I just ended up including the one paper I published, since I worked with a faculty member on it. It really is a pretty vaguely-worded question. I would imagine they are looking for anything you did outside of a regular class, to include any kind of independent study that you did with a faculty mentor. I imagine they get a wide range of responses on this, from people who put nothing like Bojangles to people who list every creative writing assignment they did in the fourth grade.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:30 pm

I really hope they don't bring up that question in the interview.

I contemplated leaving it empty but wrote down 3 assignments with a very brief description...none of which I would like to discuss in detail

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”