Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d330

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby d330 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 pm

76 days. Not counting though. Just saying.

matrim

Postby matrim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
sc-123 wrote:Team, would I be accurate in saying: at least as reflected on Law School Numbers graphs, Harvard, Stanford and Yale have not sent out many decisions at all?

Compare especially to Columbia (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213) and NYU (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213). Part of this is attributable to YHS lower number of applications, but would I be totally off-base to conclude that YHS still has a good number of decisions to make? FWIW I'm a NYU/Columbia/UVa/Penn hopeful, perhaps overly optimistically thinking that as YHS gives out more acceptances, spots will open up lower in the T14.

Not really... look at kappycaft1' spreadsheet about how many usually go out on LSN, the %s, and how many have gone out this year.

Yeah looks like we will still see about 25 more JS2s on LSN = about 140 more people (total) to be admitted to HLS before WLs etc.

Lar-ties

Postby Lar-ties » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 pm

matrim wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
sc-123 wrote:Team, would I be accurate in saying: at least as reflected on Law School Numbers graphs, Harvard, Stanford and Yale have not sent out many decisions at all?

Compare especially to Columbia (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213) and NYU (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213). Part of this is attributable to YHS lower number of applications, but would I be totally off-base to conclude that YHS still has a good number of decisions to make? FWIW I'm a NYU/Columbia/UVa/Penn hopeful, perhaps overly optimistically thinking that as YHS gives out more acceptances, spots will open up lower in the T14.

Not really... look at kappycaft1' spreadsheet about how many usually go out on LSN, the %s, and how many have gone out this year.

Yeah looks like we will still see about 25 more JS2s on LSN = about 140 more people (total) to be admitted to HLS before WLs etc.

If accurate, that sounds positive to me.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:I think, for my personal application, this may have been the other side of the issue. I was asked why, if I was so academically inclined, I was a Criminal Justice major at a lowly state university. I had a good answer for the interview, but that obviously was not clear in my application.

Food for thought: you, elterrible and I all went to unprestigious undergrads and we're all underperforming our numbers. Just saying. I was also asked why I chose to attend my undergrad during my Chicago interview. In contrast to the TLS consensus, I think undergrad prestige starts to matter at the very top schools.

Also, because you were homeschooled, you weren't properly indoctrinated, so you represent a threat to the status quo. 8)

I totally support homeschooling, by the way.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I think, for my personal application, this may have been the other side of the issue. I was asked why, if I was so academically inclined, I was a Criminal Justice major at a lowly state university. I had a good answer for the interview, but that obviously was not clear in my application.

Food for thought: you, elterrible and I all went to unprestigious undergrads and we're all underperforming our numbers. Just saying. I was also asked why I chose to attend my undergrad during my Chicago interview. In contrast to the TLS consensus, I think undergrad prestige starts to matter at the very top schools.

I can agree with that. If Cornell was concerned, you can bet Harvard was too.

That doesn't bug me though. If you would have asked me about Harvard eighteen months ago, I probably would have laughed at you. None of my classmates are thinking about going to a prestigious grad school.

Lavitz wrote:Also, because you were homeschooled, you weren't properly indoctrinated, so you represent a threat to the status quo. 8)

I'm not a part of your system! (This is also what I did with Harvard's hold email.)

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Also, because you were homeschooled, you weren't properly indoctrinated, so you represent a threat to the status quo. 8)

If you dig into the LSN data among marginal candidates (by which I mean the ones who are potential green dots in the seas of yellow) HLS seems to have a clear preference for its own undergrads and those from other Ivies. Unfortunate for us public school peeps. :(

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Lavitz wrote:

I take it Chicago asks about your undergrad if it is perceived to be unprestigious? I thought the person was just curious... :?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:15 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I take it Chicago asks about your undergrad if it is perceived to be unprestigious?

Not enough data to support this, but it was just the way she said it that made me feel that way.

jym_dawg wrote:If you dig into the LSN data among marginal candidates (by which I mean the ones who are potential green dots in the seas of yellow) HLS seems to have a clear preference for its own undergrads and those from other Ivies. Unfortunate for us public school peeps. :(

Well, I never attended a public school in my life, just obscure private schools :wink:

TripTrip wrote:That doesn't bug me though. If you would have asked me about Harvard eighteen months ago, I probably would have laughed at you. None of my classmates are thinking about going to a prestigious grad school.

I definitely hear you. All my friends attend either Brooklyn, St. John's, NYLS or Pace. Everyone flips out when they hear I got into Cornell. It reminds me that I should be grateful for what I have.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Last edited by jbagelboy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:23 pm

That's good to know.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Last edited by jbagelboy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Just to add another datapoint, I attend a non-prestigious (though rather well known, I suppose) university, and I think I'm living up to what my numbers would predict for this cycle... and surpassing them with my acceptance to Chicago. Though I'm also gay, so that might be mixing things up a bit, and neither of my parents went to college/have held impressive jobs.

Although I also got the question from UChicago about why I chose my school, and I answered it truthfully: the scholarship and the closeness to home. (I also made sure to explain why being in Florida wasn't as important for me in law school.)

It probably matters, but I'd bet only at the extremes - the Harvard graduates will get a boost, and the Florida Keys Community College kids might be hurt a bit - and most people will probably be considered without much care for their undergraduate institution.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:This is not true, at least not exclusively true. Myself and another friend in my class were asked about why we chose my college in our interviews, and I attended a top 5 prestigious lib arts private school. I think its in their normal roster of q's

You're right, and I do remember someone (maybe it was you) with a decent undergrad mentioning that they got this question, so then I knew that it wasn't just me. My point was that the tone she used made me feel like they were skeptical I could handle the rigor. Or maybe they were just skeptical I would move to Chicago. Or maybe I completely imagined the tone. I admit it's probably not something to read into much.

And I'm probably not the best case study for any of this since I can imagine a few other potential problems in my app. But since everyone who's read TripTrip's app has said it was stellar, and since the undergrad and the homeschooling seem to be the only weaknesses, I figured it was worth a mention.

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Just to add another datapoint, I attend a non-prestigious (though rather well known, I suppose) university, and I think I'm living up to what my numbers would predict for this cycle... and surpassing them with my acceptance to Chicago. Though I'm also gay, so that might be mixing things up a bit, and neither of my parents went to college/have held impressive jobs.

Although I also got the question from UChicago about why I chose my school, and I answered it truthfully: the scholarship and the closeness to home. (I also made sure to explain why being in Florida wasn't as important for me in law school.)

It probably matters, but I'd bet only at the extremes - the Harvard graduates will get a boost, and the Florida Keys Community College kids might be hurt a bit - and most people will probably be considered without much care for their undergraduate institution.

You're also a master of data and if the same skills you used to create and run mylsn.com were in any way reflected in your app, I'm sure Chicago must have loved you. :wink:

But yeah, I'm not saying the undergrad will determine everything. But I do think it matters somewhat and maybe only at certain schools--I'm just not sure to what degree.

And I think TripTrip's app raises that question of how much it matters.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 am

Wut up Harvard friends?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 am

Also went to a very TTT undergrad for what it's worth.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:14 am

Without speaking to much for someone else's app I think Trip tried to allude to the fact that it is a weak undergrad, home schooled, and a few other things combined.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 am

wert3813 wrote:Without speaking to much for someone else's app I think Trip tried to allude to the fact that it is a weak undergrad, home schooled, and a few other things combined.

Fair enough, I would say the same about my app in that case (minus the homeschooling part).

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 am

I'm applying this coming Fall and I've got to say... this thread has killed all the optimism I once had. Considering I have practically no ECs, borderline scores, and not from an Ivy it might be best to just lower my expectations.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'm applying this coming Fall and I've got to say... this thread has killed all the optimism I once had. Considering I have practically no ECs, borderline scores, and not from an Ivy it might be best to just lower my expectations.

Apply early.

Not to toot my own horn but I cannot express, and Trip's cycle is further evidence, how strongly I believe that your ability to market a cohesive narrative about yourself matters. You commented on this thread so maybe you read it but if not:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206041&start=50

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 am

wert3813 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'm applying this coming Fall and I've got to say... this thread has killed all the optimism I once had. Considering I have practically no ECs, borderline scores, and not from an Ivy it might be best to just lower my expectations.

Apply early.

Not to toot my own horn but I cannot express, and Trip's cycle is further evidence, how strongly I believe that your ability to market a cohesive narrative about yourself matters. You commented on this thread so maybe you read it but if not:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206041&start=50

Assuming I take the plunge and apply this year my app will be right in their face the minute they open the flood gates.

Also, I did read that thread. I'm trying that whole narrative thing but its hard to do convincingly without post-grad work experience.

EDIT: How weird would it be in JD or KB posted in this/these threads under an anonymous name, posing as an applicant. I can't speak for them, but that sounds like something I'd at least do.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

they are way too busy for games like that

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 am

wert3813 wrote:Not to toot my own horn but I cannot express, and Trip's cycle is further evidence, how strongly I believe that your ability to market a cohesive narrative about yourself matters.

+1

I think I gained a false sense of security. I had different proofreaders for each part of my application. Each part individually was fairly strong, but (in hindsight) they don't fit together very well.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am

Make all parts of your application fit together. I had my PS tie together every part of my life (growing up, work experience, school) all to point to: this is what I want to do and that means I want to go to law school. Obviously I don't think PS need to say "why law," but I think having a career path explained with the exp to back it up made it that much more compelling.
Last edited by Searchparty on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 04102014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am

Searchparty wrote:

Make all parts of your application fit together. I had my PS tie together every part of my life together (growing up, work experience, school) all to point to: this is what I want to do and that means I want to go to law school. Obviously I don't think PS need to say "why law," but I think having a career path explained with the exp to back it up made it that much more compelling.

Agreed. I think schools value this much more than people realize, and I'm willing to bet that this is why H held me when my numbers should have put me in the autoreject pile.

d330

Postby d330 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 am

Held. JS1 - 1/9. Held a minute ago.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”