Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
yankees42789
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yankees42789 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:04 pm

hopeful16 wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Does anyone know what exactly is in a JS2? Is it just an acceptance over email or is it a phone call or is it an email setting up a phone call? I'm confused.

Acceptance Phone call

So basically if you see an incoming call from a 617 area code on your phone, you should start getting excited. Unless a random person in Cambridge happens to call you lol


C/O '15er here - just want to point out that my KB2 last year came from a non-617 area code (and a different phone number than my KB1) so be on the lookout for that. I mention that only because I thought that the call was a telemarketer at first and very nearly hung up (which obviously wouldn't have een a good thing).

Also, more generally, if anybody has questions about interviews or life at HLS more generally, feel free to PM me. Given all that I got from this site last year, I'm more than willing to help.


ETA: And congrats on the JS1, BernalDiaz - I know how badly you want this!

hopeful16
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby hopeful16 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

yankees42789 wrote:
hopeful16 wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Does anyone know what exactly is in a JS2? Is it just an acceptance over email or is it a phone call or is it an email setting up a phone call? I'm confused.

Acceptance Phone call

So basically if you see an incoming call from a 617 area code on your phone, you should start getting excited. Unless a random person in Cambridge happens to call you lol


C/O '15er here - just want to point out that my KB2 last year came from a non-617 area code (and a different phone number than my KB1) so be on the lookout for that. I mention that only because I thought that the call was a telemarketer at first and very nearly hung up (which obviously wouldn't have een a good thing).

Also, more generally, if anybody has questions about interviews or life at HLS more generally, feel free to PM me. Given all that I got from this site last year, I'm more than willing to help.


ETA: And congrats on the JS1, BernalDiaz - I know how badly you want this!

thanks for the clarification!

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pacifica » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:04 pm

pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...


Doesn't really sound like you blew it. At least you got a JS1. That's a foot in the door.

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm

pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...


Thanks for posting, and I'm sure they appreciate that you didn't simply read off your resume, which they obviously already know about.

What do you mean by "specific law school Qs related to my background"?

Thanks a lot and good luck

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:54 pm

pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...


Thanks for the info, but keep your chin up. I know a lot of us would love to be where you are, wishing that our early November JS1s went a little better. I think you're in great shape though, it lasted a good amount of time and I'm sure you handled yourself well. Try not to be too down on it - we always think of what we could have / should have said when interviews are over. Good luck with #2, and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:22 pm

your an auto admit. ur interview was a formality. congrats on hls

weareyoung16
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby weareyoung16 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:your an auto admit. ur interview was a formality. congrats on hls


Are most early November interviews formalities?

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pacifica » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:29 pm

weareyoung16 wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:your an auto admit. ur interview was a formality. congrats on hls


Are most early November interviews formalities?



vaguely recall from last year's thread: 16/18 interviewed in first wave of invites got JS2 before Thanksgiving. 2/18 got held until February. i mean, someone's gotta be in that losing pool of 2, right?

weareyoung16
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby weareyoung16 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:30 pm

pacifica wrote:
weareyoung16 wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:your an auto admit. ur interview was a formality. congrats on hls


Are most early November interviews formalities?



vaguely recall from last year's thread: 16/18 interviewed in first wave of invites got JS2 before Thanksgiving. 2/18 got held until February. i mean, someone's gotta be in that losing pool of 2, right?


If the other 2 still got in eventually I wouldn't say that's losing at all! :D

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm

im not going to argue with you. pm me in a week that ur in. and then buy me a beer or cherry coke either or

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...

Thank you for the specifics. Now I'm going to have to think of what my "proudest accomplishment" is :)

Really though, I'm sure you did great. One non-specific answer won't kill you.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Those of you who have been interviewed: can you literally list the questions they asked you? I would really appreciate this. I haven't applied yet but if I get a JS1 it will be nice to know what they're asking.

MengqiJD
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MengqiJD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:
pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...

Thank you for the specifics. Now I'm going to have to think of what my "proudest accomplishment" is :)

Really though, I'm sure you did great. One non-specific answer won't kill you.


I wasn't asked why Harvard...

hdivine
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby hdivine » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 pm

MengqiJD wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
pacifica wrote:Had interview with KB today. Don't think I did too hot :( . Started with specific law school Qs related to my background, which I thought I did well on, but when it got to general questions like "proudest accomplishment," I probably sounded quite vague (and/or repetitive) to her because I was very hesitant about regurgitating my resume, so I went with general themes instead. She was super nice and very pleasant to talk to though. 14 minutes total, about half was her asking Qs, and half me asking Qs.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting! Hope I was helpful. Might be a loooong wait for me for a JS2/KB2 if I get one at all...

Thank you for the specifics. Now I'm going to have to think of what my "proudest accomplishment" is :)

Really though, I'm sure you did great. One non-specific answer won't kill you.


I wasn't asked why Harvard...


Listing specifics probably won't help. My questions were different than all the other posters here. In fact, most of my questions were very specific to things I had included in my application that wouldn't be applicable to others. KB was extremely pleasant, and Skype makes the interview quite relaxed. I enjoyed my Harvard interview more than I have any job interview I've performed.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm

hdivine wrote:Listing specifics probably won't help. My questions were different than all the other posters here. In fact, most of my questions were very specific to things I had included in my application that wouldn't be applicable to others. KB was extremely pleasant, and Skype makes the interview quite relaxed. I enjoyed my Harvard interview more than I have any job interview I've performed.


I'd still imagine that your questions had a certain form, though (I could be entirely wrong). Even if they referenced very specific things, they can't be so specific that the Adcomms wouldn't be able to derive a picture about what kind of person you are from them (unless they just happened to be personally interested in what you did for no reason except their own interests). From what I understand, Interviews are geared to get a picture of the person, and I'd think the specific questions you were asked had "ulterior" aims, to some degree, that would be present in other questions.

haveahat
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby haveahat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 am

For those who already had their interview, did you use an external mic like they suggested? I have a (fairly) new macbook and I've never had problems with sound before, but, then again, I've never had a skype interview this important before!

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 am

haveahat wrote:For those who already had their interview, did you use an external mic like they suggested? I have a (fairly) new macbook and I've never had problems with sound before, but, then again, I've never had a skype interview this important before!


I did use one. I don't know that it was necessary, but for that exact reason - pretty important interview - I ponied up the $15 or whatever and got one.

weareyoung16
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby weareyoung16 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:53 am

haveahat wrote:For those who already had their interview, did you use an external mic like they suggested? I have a (fairly) new macbook and I've never had problems with sound before, but, then again, I've never had a skype interview this important before!


I didn't use one. I have a MacBook as well and it was more than fine.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:33 pm

haveahat wrote:For those who already had their interview, did you use an external mic like they suggested? I have a (fairly) new macbook and I've never had problems with sound before, but, then again, I've never had a skype interview this important before!


I think their biggest concern is that the mic will provide clear audio. If your onboard mic works fine in Skype I am sure you will be fine.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Hoping for some JS1s next week and maybe a hold for me.

Should stop checking my email considering it's Saturday.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Just noticed that the admissions office already added me as a contact on Skype. Getting psyched for this :)

helix23 wrote:Hoping for some JS1s next week and maybe a hold for me.

Should stop checking my email considering it's Saturday.

You know they usually don't send out holds until January, right?

(in before HLS proves me wrong again and sends out holds next week)

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Lavitz wrote:Just noticed that the admissions office already added me as a contact on Skype. Getting psyched for this :)

helix23 wrote:Hoping for some JS1s next week and maybe a hold for me.

Should stop checking my email considering it's Saturday.

You know they usually don't send out holds until January, right?

(in before HLS proves me wrong again and sends out holds next week)


You'll kill it, I'm sure. Enjoy!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Lavitz wrote:Just noticed that the admissions office already added me as a contact on Skype. Getting psyched for this :)

helix23 wrote:Hoping for some JS1s next week and maybe a hold for me.

Should stop checking my email considering it's Saturday.

You know they usually don't send out holds until January, right?

(in before HLS proves me wrong again and sends out holds next week)


Yeah that's what I saw from last year's thread. Just a hope.

Good luck! I am sure you'll crush.

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mdenis1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 am

Hey everyone! Sorry if it has been asked before. My application status is currently " application complete " ( applied in mid september) Will my status remain like this until I either get a JS1 or get dinged, or will it change in the meantime to under review?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PDX4343 and 10 guests