Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
carboncopyx

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:13 pm

What, really? You don't think the interview can have that much of an effect on the admissions decision? I've been going crazy this entire time thinking about how my interview could have ruined my chances!

amonthofsundays

Postby amonthofsundays » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 pm

d330 wrote:
andreskicdo wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:
amonthofsundays wrote:I just had a KB1 today and everything went pretty well and she was very nice. I just have to resist the urge to reflect and second guess myself about things I should/shouldn't have said.

Welcome to the club... this part is actually probably the worst. Sigh.

I hear you. I feel pretty comfortable with all my answers except one that I thought I could have answered better. Nothing I can do now besides drink and wait. Ugh.

After watching the holds come down, I'm more convinced that the only thing to fear with the interview is a complete fail. I'm not even sure a complete success can be measured. And am positive a JS2 can come from terrible interviews and great interviews.

Then again, I'm 40+ days post JS1 with no word, so what do I know.

What would you consider a complete fail? I was really trying to go into the interview with a do no harm approach but I am now thinking I may have actually done some harm.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm

carboncopyx wrote:What, really? You don't think the interview can have that much of an effect on the admissions decision? I've been going crazy this entire time thinking about how my interview could have ruined my chances!

With a 70 percent acceptance rate for JS1s, the interviews probably don't "make or break" people for the vast majority of cases. But I'm sure that for a significant minority of the JS1 applicants, the adcomms have significant "make or break" questions and want to see whether you can answer them. This is all speculation, though.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 pm

vzapana wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:What, really? You don't think the interview can have that much of an effect on the admissions decision? I've been going crazy this entire time thinking about how my interview could have ruined my chances!

With a 70 percent acceptance rate for JS1s, the interviews probably don't "make or break" people for the vast majority of cases. But I'm sure that for a significant minority of the JS1 applicants, the adcomms have significant "make or break" questions and want to see whether you can answer them. This is all speculation, though.

man i wonder what i did wrong, damn

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:38 pm

vzapana wrote:

That makes sense. I've never wanted more to be in the majority before, haha... I think the fear most people have post-JS1 is that the one question they have reservations about (because there is always that ONE question that we feel we could have answered better) was the "make it or break it" question. :roll:

Jpreece59

Postby Jpreece59 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm

According to the link sent out in the JS1 email, HLS is interviewing more prospective students. Here's the link:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... g-process/

So the whole 70% acceptance rate probably doesn't really apply this year, right?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:According to the link sent out in the JS1 email, HLS is interviewing more prospective students. Here's the link:

So the whole 70% acceptance rate probably doesn't really apply this year, right?

I think the 70% acceptance rate was calculated with this adjustment in mind already. It used to be higher in previous years when they did less interviews.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
Jpreece59 wrote:According to the link sent out in the JS1 email, HLS is interviewing more prospective students. Here's the link:

I think the 70% acceptance rate was calculated with this adjustment in mind already. It used to be higher in previous years when they did less interviews.

yeah according to JS' admissionsdean.com interview, HLS used to interview about 1k people on the phone. that means the acceptance rate was 85%

Jpreece59

Postby Jpreece59 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Ah. I see. I guess that's a good thing then. I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high, I guess.

d330

Postby d330 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm

After watching the holds come down, I'm more convinced that the only thing to fear with the interview is a complete fail. I'm not even sure a complete success can be measured. And am positive a JS2 can come from terrible interviews and great interviews.

Then again, I'm 40+ days post JS1 with no word, so what do I know.[/quote]

What would you consider a complete fail? I was really trying to go into the interview with a do no harm approach but I am now thinking I may have actually done some harm.[/quote]

I'm not sure what a complete fail is. The way I figure it is that the interview either seals the deal or makes them reconsider and weigh you against other candidates. So it's likely hard to know. It's easy for people who got in to say they had great interviews when for all we know they invented a cure for cancer. You just answer the questions, though if it is a fail I suspect you'd know. A fail would probably involve an argument, a lie, a failure to answer a question honestly. I doubt a pedestrian interview would doom any of us. Particularly when many of us clearly have more experience doing interviews than others - would it really be fair if the interview was a make you or break you deal if you are just out of undergrad with little work experience but impressive internships,etc?

d330

Postby d330 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 pm

az21833 wrote:
vzapana wrote:

man i wonder what i did wrong, damn

AZ, you're in just about everywhere. I know you think you did something wrong but more than likely you didn't and you might get snatched out of the hold pile. Don't let this insane process have you questioning yourself. HLS missing out on outstanding candidates all the time. It just happens. Though I admit I hope this isn't a pep talk for you that I'm really giving myself. Then again, I haven't been accepted into SLS.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:13 am

So I was talking with a friend earlier about HLS averaging LSAT scores. They were under the impression that it used to be generally done (not an exact average, but first take weighted heavily, and either way a lower take always making a difference), but that in recent years they've moved away from this to look more heavily at the highest score. Anybody have any insight here?

MartinoJ

Postby MartinoJ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:26 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, but here it goes: has HLS dinged any January applicants? Early Jan complete, JS0 & no hold.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm

MartinoJ wrote:I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, but here it goes: has HLS dinged any January applicants? Early Jan complete, JS0 & no hold.

Same here. A few January applicants received a hold on Friday, but no rejections reported yet, according to LSN. December applicants saw a lot of movement on Friday so my guess is January applicants could start seeing holds/rejections next week.

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:Ah. I see. I guess that's a good thing then. I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high, I guess.

I'm trying to keep my confidence up for the interview, while keeping my expectations realistic for the aftermath. I do think that while ~70% of JS1s may be accepted, that doesn't mean we all have a 70% chance going in. Some people probably have closer to a 95% chance and would have to seriously screw it up. Others, like me, have a much lower shot at the below median spots.

I would think that the primary effect of more interviews is that the borderline candidates have more competition. People who would not have gotten an interview in prior years now have another chance against those who would have just barely gotten an interview. Not that I'm up against you guys, of course, you're my friends! :mrgreen:

TrustInMusic

Postby TrustInMusic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

pedestrian wrote:
Jpreece59 wrote:Ah. I see. I guess that's a good thing then. I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high, I guess.

I'm trying to keep my confidence up for the interview, while keeping my expectations realistic for the aftermath. I do think that while ~70% of JS1s may be accepted, that doesn't mean we all have a 70% chance going in. Some people probably have closer to a 95% chance and would have to seriously screw it up. Others, like me, have a much lower shot at the below median spots.

I would think that the primary effect of more interviews is that the borderline candidates have more competition. People who would not have gotten an interview in prior years now have another chance against those who would have just barely gotten an interview. Not that I'm up against you guys, of course, you're my friends! :mrgreen:

These are the hunger games.
:wink:

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Wormfather wrote:May the odds be ever in your favor.

In this case, they kinda are

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 pm

pedestrian wrote:

agreed i think on tls there is a tendency to assume everybody interviewing is on even ground. the interview is a relatively small part of your overall file. i was on the lower end numbers wise and think i was too conservative in my approach which probably would have been sufficient for somebody better positioned.

Jpreece59

Postby Jpreece59 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

az21833 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:

agreed i think on tls there is a tendency to assume everybody interviewing is on even ground. the interview is a relatively small part of your overall file. i was on the lower end numbers wise and think i was too conservative in my approach which probably would have been sufficient for somebody better positioned.

I'm also on the lower-end and getting in for me remains a pretty big long-shot. So my thinking is I'm going to just try to swing for the fences during my interview. The worst case scenario is that they reject me, but that's what I expected to happen when I applied.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm curious what people mean by "playing it safe" and how one would go about a high-risk/high-reward approach. My numbers are low enough that they must have liked something else about my file - so would the idea be to highlight what makes me a diverse applicant? Or since they already know that, would I want to reassure them that I could fit in at Harvard?

I know that nobody is likely to have the definitively correct answer, I'm just curious about the thoughts of other candidates, particularly those with weak numbers.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 pm

pedestrian wrote:I'm curious what people mean by "playing it safe" and how one would go about a high-risk/high-reward approach. My numbers are low enough that they must have liked something else about my file - so would the idea be to highlight what makes me a diverse applicant? Or since they already know that, would I want to reassure them that I could fit in at Harvard?

I know that nobody is likely to have the definitively correct answer, I'm just curious about the thoughts of other candidates, particularly those with weak numbers.

People have always told me not to go too conservative. You run the risk of being dull, and that can sink people more than a mediocre answer or two.

And whenever I have had to interview people, I found myself not liking the ones who didn't seem like interesting ppl.

Edit: of course, you need to know what would be too crazy, which is also problematic. Knowing the fine line comes with interview experience.

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm

is it sad I am excited for Mondays just to see some movement in the admissions world?

Jpreece59

Postby Jpreece59 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Is anyone else having trouble scheduling their JS1?

domino

Postby domino » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

pedestrian wrote:I'm curious what people mean by "playing it safe" and how one would go about a high-risk/high-reward approach. My numbers are low enough that they must have liked something else about my file - so would the idea be to highlight what makes me a diverse applicant? Or since they already know that, would I want to reassure them that I could fit in at Harvard?

I would say to be yourself and highlight what you think are your best qualities. Just let your personality shine through.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”