Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
La.Chocolate
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby La.Chocolate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

I'm quite shocked to see quite a few number of applicants with really strong numbers (3.8+ 173+) get dinged at Harvard.

I thought Harvard's admissions was very numbers-driven...and therefore perhaps the most predictable among HYS.

Is Harvard's admissions criteria changing, perhaps in line with the recent introduction of Skype interviews?

Even if Harvard's admissions is as "holistic" as it claims to be, what could possibly get someone with superb numbers dinged at Harvard (under the assumption that there's no outstanding red flag, such as criminal history, or academic probabtion)?

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 am

carboncopyx wrote:Signed onto Skype to do a mock interview. Had a contact request from HLS JD Admissions. IT'S GETTING REAL.


Oh God, me too. Although I did no mock interview cuz I'm not nearly as intelligent as you

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 am

carboncopyx wrote:Signed onto Skype to do a mock interview. Had a contact request from HLS JD Admissions. IT'S GETTING REAL.


You're gonna kill it! Good luck.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 am

La.Chocolate wrote:I'm quite shocked to see quite a few number of applicants with really strong numbers (3.8+ 173+) get dinged at Harvard.

I thought Harvard's admissions was very numbers-driven...and therefore perhaps the most predictable among HYS.

Is Harvard's admissions criteria changing, perhaps in line with the recent introduction of Skype interviews?

Even if Harvard's admissions is as "holistic" as it claims to be, what could possibly get someone with superb numbers dinged at Harvard (under the assumption that there's no outstanding red flag, such as criminal history, or academic probabtion)?

Numbers =/= Everything, despite what conventional TLS wisdom expounds. Remember, HLS is also looking for future leaders of the world, not just numbers to fill in for USNWR rankings. They're Harvard--it's not so much what is not wrong with you but what can you bring to the table.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 am

+a million. HLS gets a number rep solely bc its giant class means if your above both medians you can feel decent about getting in vs YS. However it is still a holistic review, and if you don't have the softs writing skills or interviewing skills to make the cut, they can easily replace you.


But no pressure. My brother and sister in arms carbon and motm
will destroy their js1s today

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:Signed onto Skype to do a mock interview. Had a contact request from HLS JD Admissions. IT'S GETTING REAL.


Oh God, me too. Although I did no mock interview cuz I'm not nearly as intelligent as you


Good luck today!

lak90
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby lak90 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 am

Any word on LOCI? I was put on hold in January and do not have updated work info (besides being here 6 months vs. 1 when I applied). Suggestions?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

js2s today?

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 am

carboncopyx wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:I'm quite shocked to see quite a few number of applicants with really strong numbers (3.8+ 173+) get dinged at Harvard.

I thought Harvard's admissions was very numbers-driven...and therefore perhaps the most predictable among HYS.

Is Harvard's admissions criteria changing, perhaps in line with the recent introduction of Skype interviews?

Even if Harvard's admissions is as "holistic" as it claims to be, what could possibly get someone with superb numbers dinged at Harvard (under the assumption that there's no outstanding red flag, such as criminal history, or academic probabtion)?

Numbers =/= Everything, despite what conventional TLS wisdom expounds. Remember, HLS is also looking for future leaders of the world, not just numbers to fill in for USNWR rankings. They're Harvard--it's not so much what is not wrong with you but what can you bring to the table.


I can so attest. If this was about numbers alone, I'd be setting pins in a bowling alley next fall. Based on my experience and many others, it's clear they're looking well beyond the numbers and into the qualitative dimensions.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

az21833 wrote:js2s today?


Nope not today. The interview spots and moon's position this morning suggest nothing for today.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 pm

in that case, they will probably wait until mon/tues next week and just do a giant wave with all the js1s this week right?

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

And now I join the JS2 waiters... *faints*

ETA: Wait, she definitely didn't say, "You'll be hearing from us," at the end. WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 pm

carboncopyx wrote:And now I join the JS2 waiters... *faints*

ETA: Wait, she definitely didn't say, "You'll be hearing from us," at the end. WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN.


Woo, congrats! I think it means she just forgot to say that :)

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:43 pm

carboncopyx wrote:And now I join the JS2 waiters... *faints*

ETA: Wait, she definitely didn't say, "You'll be hearing from us," at the end. WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN.


Please. You got this.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm

carboncopyx wrote:And now I join the JS2 waiters... *faints*

ETA: Wait, she definitely didn't say, "You'll be hearing from us," at the end. WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN.


In your case, it means you'll be in the next round of JS2s. In everyone else's case, jack shit.

Interview in less than an hour, oh godddd

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Had my KB1 today. I am not feeling great about it.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Interview in less than an hour, oh godddd

YOU'VE GOT THIS. You're gonna rock it!!

bob loblaw11 wrote:Had my KB1 today. I am not feeling great about it.

+1

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I didn't get a "talk to you soon" or anything either. I cried in the middle of the grocery store and was inconsolable for two days when a wave of JS2s went out the next week and I wasn't one of them. It was all wasted angst. Y'all will be fine.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Carbon and boblaw destroyed it. Gooooo MOTM!!!

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm

I am really trying hard right now to not be visibly upset at my office. Is it normal to feel like you blew it big time? :cry:

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

So it today a KB day?

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:So it today a KB day?


Shit no, man ... it's a MOTM day!

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:So it today a KB day?


Shit no, man ... it's a MOTM day!


YES

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:02 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:I am really trying hard right now to not be visibly upset at my office. Is it normal to feel like you blew it big time? :cry:


TBH, I felt the same way with one question I asked during the interview. I am trying not to stress about it now and you shouldn't either. We did our best and it is out of our hands now. We just have to wait and see what happens. :wink:

basil8
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby basil8 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:03 pm

z
Last edited by basil8 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hweigel, lawlessmd, Pomegranate27 and 20 guests