Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 pm

megagnarley wrote:On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So, if I have no idea what this means, should I just withdraw?

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Has anyone at Harvard been waitlisted yet? I know a bunch of holds have gone out, but could it be that those of us in Princeton law are just on the fast track to a waitlist? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
megagnarley wrote:On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So, if I have no idea what this means, should I just withdraw?


Nope. I'm an autoding so not understanding means you're probably golden/on a higher level.

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm

when did last years held begin to get js1??

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby masked kavana » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:when did last years held begin to get js1??


Beginning of March

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
megagnarley wrote:On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So, if I have no idea what this means, should I just withdraw?


he/she is just saying that the focus should be community and not what can you do for me

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby cwid1391 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:59 pm

How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby vzapana » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm

az21833 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
megagnarley wrote:On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So, if I have no idea what this means, should I just withdraw?


he/she is just saying that the focus should be community and not what can you do for me


Poorly expressed thought. Good thesaurus. Grade: C+

phelps84
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby phelps84 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

megagnarley wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get peeved by people who presumably use this place as a resource and then dont put their stats up or link to them in their profile. Then to make matters worse they come into this thread or one of the school waiting threads and say "Accepted" or "In". At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me".

And before I hear any anonymity complains, that's just another way of saying, hey you suckers put your numbers up, but I'm smarter than that, so I'll just exploit your sense of altruism or responsibility or whatever motivates the rest of us to put our numbers up.

If you use this place as resource help others by giving your stats, if you're to special to do that, dont add insult to injury by sharing your success. Go find another napkin.


Edit: at some point I'll edit that thing for grammar. But not today. Not while on a phone.


On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So you disagree with what he's saying? I think worm makes a great point, in that (IMO) an overwhelming majority use this site as a resource to gauge their chances at various law schools.

People saying they were admitted with numbers = giving hope to those with similar numbers, completion dates, interview dates, etc.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm

cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.


Stiiiiiiiill here. Has anyone been waitlisted? Is that where we are headed?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Having a general sense of a persons application is generally a requirement for being an active participant in a community based around law school admissions.

Don't make it a false dichotomy.

stacy
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby stacy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.

You are not. See the Princeton thread.

zara23
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zara23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.



I also am in this boat without a notification of any kind.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm

zara23 wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.



I also am in this boat without a notification of any kind.


Still can't decide if this is better than being held. Marginally better than being rejected, I suppose :P

User avatar
stone_fox
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby stone_fox » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 pm

zara23 wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.



I also am in this boat without a notification of any kind.


same. i've basically given up all hope.

zara23
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zara23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

stone_fox wrote:
zara23 wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.



I also am in this boat without a notification of any kind.


same. i've basically given up all hope.


I definitely haven't given up hope and neither should you. I'm keeping hope alive for until the end of Feb.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby abcde12345 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

stone_fox wrote:
zara23 wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:How many early/mid November applicants are remaining that haven't been dinged, accepted, or held? I can't be the only one.



I also am in this boat without a notification of any kind.


same. i've basically given up all hope.


Early Dec here.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:06 pm

phelps84 wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get peeved by people who presumably use this place as a resource and then dont put their stats up or link to them in their profile. Then to make matters worse they come into this thread or one of the school waiting threads and say "Accepted" or "In". At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me".

And before I hear any anonymity complains, that's just another way of saying, hey you suckers put your numbers up, but I'm smarter than that, so I'll just exploit your sense of altruism or responsibility or whatever motivates the rest of us to put our numbers up.

If you use this place as resource help others by giving your stats, if you're to special to do that, dont add insult to injury by sharing your success. Go find another napkin.


Edit: at some point I'll edit that thing for grammar. But not today. Not while on a phone.


On the soapbox shouting for some zero sum driven principle to propel all interaction while overlooking the most salient reason why people post here in the first place: community.


So you disagree with what he's saying? I think worm makes a great point, in that (IMO) an overwhelming majority use this site as a resource to gauge their chances at various law schools.

People saying they were admitted with numbers = giving hope to those with similar numbers, completion dates, interview dates, etc.


Of course I disagree. A statement that is as absolutist as "At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me," will never hold water.

Is including numbers helpful? Yes. Is it polite? Yes. But to imply that everyone who fails to so is driven by some pompous need for validation is absurd. Some people are new and don't know protocol. Some people would prefer you link to their LSN. Some people want privacy. Respect that. And if it bugs you, leave.

This is a community, not a marketplace.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

megagnarley wrote:Of course I disagree. A statement that is as absolutist as "At that point its nothing but a one way celebratory masturbation. No paying it forward or anything just another way of saying "I'm great, I'm in, I'm so happy, now congratulate me," will never hold water.

Is including numbers helpful? Yes. Is it polite? Yes. But to imply that everyone who fails to so is driven by some pompous need for validation is absurd. Some people are new and don't know protocol. Some people would prefer you link to their LSN. Some people want privacy. Respect that. And if it bugs you, leave.

This is a community, not a marketplace.


Worm's point I believe is that the basis of this community (TLS) is to share wisdom, experiences and resources regarding all things law school. Everyone benefits from the collective contributions on this website. If you don't feel like contributing to the pool of data, but want to benefit from others' contributions, fine, but making an account to say "In!" is insignificant and self-serving.

Do you show up at parties and not bring anything? I mean, it is polite to bring stuff, but I guess you don't have to...it just makes you a douche to show up with nothing and eat all the food.

User avatar
domino
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby domino » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

helix23 wrote:
Worm's point I believe is that the basis of this community (TLS) is to share wisdom, experiences and resources regarding all things law school. Everyone benefits from the collective contributions on this website. If you don't feel like contributing to the pool of data, but want to benefit from others' contributions, fine, but making an account to say "In!" is insignificant and self-serving.

Do you show up at parties and not bring anything? I mean, it is polite to bring stuff, but I guess you don't have to...it just makes you a douche to show up with nothing and eat all the food.


For me a lot of the "food" is being able to hear from and share with other people who are super neurotic about law school admissions. At this point, I have lost friends and quite possibly the love of some family members from talking WAY too much about my applications. Just hearing about others' experiences is part of the draw for me. (So numbers not necessary is my vote.)

Value of this vs. the actual information probably varies by user though.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 pm

domino wrote:For me a lot of the "food" is being able to hear from and share with other people who are super neurotic about law school admissions. At this point, I have lost friends and quite possibly the love of some family members from talking WAY too much about my applications. Just hearing about others' experiences is part of the draw for me. (So numbers not necessary is my vote.)

Value of this vs. the actual information probably varies by user though.


I will try to step up my usefulness for you domino, although I don't think I can help with YLS v HLS, as I have gotten into neither.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

domino wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Worm's point I believe is that the basis of this community (TLS) is to share wisdom, experiences and resources regarding all things law school. Everyone benefits from the collective contributions on this website. If you don't feel like contributing to the pool of data, but want to benefit from others' contributions, fine, but making an account to say "In!" is insignificant and self-serving.

Do you show up at parties and not bring anything? I mean, it is polite to bring stuff, but I guess you don't have to...it just makes you a douche to show up with nothing and eat all the food.


For me a lot of the "food" is being able to hear from and share with other people who are super neurotic about law school admissions. At this point, I have lost friends and quite possibly the love of some family members from talking WAY too much about my applications. Just hearing about others' experiences is part of the draw for me.

Value of this vs. the actual information probably varies by user though.


Was this a counterpoint to what I said? I agree, a lot of the "food" is hearing from and sharing others' experiences (which is what I said). Creating an account to say "In" doesn't do much for me, though. That's not sharing an experience. That's two letters.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:34 pm

domino wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Worm's point I believe is that the basis of this community (TLS) is to share wisdom, experiences and resources regarding all things law school. Everyone benefits from the collective contributions on this website. If you don't feel like contributing to the pool of data, but want to benefit from others' contributions, fine, but making an account to say "In!" is insignificant and self-serving.

Do you show up at parties and not bring anything? I mean, it is polite to bring stuff, but I guess you don't have to...it just makes you a douche to show up with nothing and eat all the food.


For me a lot of the "food" is being able to hear from and share with other people who are super neurotic about law school admissions. At this point, I have lost friends and quite possibly the love of some family members from talking WAY too much about my applications. Just hearing about others' experiences is part of the draw for me.

Value of this vs. the actual information probably varies by user though.



I'll stop here to keep form hijacking the thread entirely, but Domino is getting at more of what I was saying, and that is to say this isn't a market in which the goods come in the sole form of dates and numbers which must be exchanged in equal parts to keep one from being self serving. Many people, even those who aren't comfortable sharing/are unaware that this is protocol, benefit others through other avenues of sharing experiences/feelings/anxieties etc. The ways in which one contributes to any community, TLS included, are too far reaching to be simplified as Worm put it, which is if you share numbers you are of value and if if you do not you are a self serving asshole.

That being said, if you create an account solely to say "In" and contribute in no other way, you are likely wildly oblivious or self-serving to be sure.

In any case, all opinions respected, I digress. Back on topic.

That is all.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Can we please go back to bitching about being one of the Forgotten, not being the first person in your JS1 class to get a JS2, and how cold HLS is?

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm

megagnarley wrote:
domino wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Worm's point I believe is that the basis of this community (TLS) is to share wisdom, experiences and resources regarding all things law school. Everyone benefits from the collective contributions on this website. If you don't feel like contributing to the pool of data, but want to benefit from others' contributions, fine, but making an account to say "In!" is insignificant and self-serving.

Do you show up at parties and not bring anything? I mean, it is polite to bring stuff, but I guess you don't have to...it just makes you a douche to show up with nothing and eat all the food.


For me a lot of the "food" is being able to hear from and share with other people who are super neurotic about law school admissions. At this point, I have lost friends and quite possibly the love of some family members from talking WAY too much about my applications. Just hearing about others' experiences is part of the draw for me.

Value of this vs. the actual information probably varies by user though.





I'll stop here to keep form hijacking the thread entirely, but Domino is getting at more of what I was saying, and that is to say this isn't a market in which the goods come in the sole form of dates and numbers which must be exchanged in equal parts to keep one from being self serving. Many people, even those who aren't comfortable sharing/are unaware that this is protocol, benefit others through other avenues of sharing experiences/feelings/anxieties etc. The ways in which one contributes to any community, TLS included, are too far reaching to be simplified as Worm put it, which is if you share numbers you are of value and if if you do not you are a self serving asshole.

That being said, if you create an account solely to say "In" and contribute in no other way, you are likely wildly oblivious or self-serving to be sure.

In any case, all opinions respected, I digress. Back on topic.

That is all.



+1 I agree with everything you said sir.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, genjustice, Houzy, jstans and 19 guests