Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 am

carbon, I have a theory that you may be near the new GPA median. I'd bet anything H lets the GPA median slip a few hundredths before it reduces class size or drops LSAT.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

carboncopyx wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You make it sound like your numbers are a terrible atrocity, but they're not.


they are to harvard

Image
most appropriate gif i could find

... that just made me really sad that you called 174/3.7 an atrocity. But very appropriate/fitting gif. In the saddest way possible.



i need a full-ride or harvard, y'all. i'm making below $8/hour right now.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You make it sound like your numbers are a terrible atrocity, but they're not.


they are to harvard

Image
most appropriate gif i could find

... that just made me really sad that you called 174/3.7 an atrocity. But very appropriate/fitting gif. In the saddest way possible.



i need a full-ride or harvard, y'all. i'm making below $8/hour right now.


Federal minimum wage ftw. Or more ftl. Every job I've gotten has paid less than the last, but I don't think I can (legally) get lower than my current wage of $7.50/hr.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am

TripTrip wrote:carbon, I have a theory that you may be near the new GPA median. I'd bet anything H lets the GPA median slip a few hundredths before it reduces class size or drops LSAT.

Reduction in class size doesn't seem that implausible to me--difference between 650 and 575? They could always spin it as wanting to emulate a smaller, more intimate experience or something. But I wouldn't mind being the new GPA median... my terrible freshman year has always haunted me.

twinkletoes16 wrote:i need a full-ride or harvard, y'all. i'm making below $8/hour right now.

That's abusive. My campus minimum wage is $11/hr.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 am

Yukos wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

i need a full-ride or harvard, y'all. i'm making below $8/hour right now.


Federal minimum wage ftw. Or more ftl. Every job I've gotten has paid less than the last, but I don't think I can (legally) get lower than my current wage of $7.50/hr.



sucks, right? i'd love to have a cinderella story like you w/ HS, but I plan on hustling the fuck out during lawl school and hitting the ground running. when i look at my scholly offers I think about how long it would take me to make that $ with what I'm making now....years upon years upon years. law school gives me a great opportunity.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am

carboncopyx wrote:
TripTrip wrote:carbon, I have a theory that you may be near the new GPA median. I'd bet anything H lets the GPA median slip a few hundredths before it reduces class size or drops LSAT.

Reduction in class size doesn't seem that implausible to me--difference between 650 and 575? They could always spin it as wanting to emulate a smaller, more intimate experience or something. But I wouldn't mind being the new GPA median... my terrible freshman year has always haunted me.

When was Harvard's class size 650?!

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am

carboncopyx wrote:
TripTrip wrote:carbon, I have a theory that you may be near the new GPA median. I'd bet anything H lets the GPA median slip a few hundredths before it reduces class size or drops LSAT.

Reduction in class size doesn't seem that implausible to me--difference between 650 and 575? They could always spin it as wanting to emulate a smaller, more intimate experience or something. But I wouldn't mind being the new GPA median... my terrible freshman year has always haunted me.

twinkletoes16 wrote:i need a full-ride or harvard, y'all. i'm making below $8/hour right now.

That's abusive. My campus minimum wage is $11/hr.



idk that they'll lower class sizes that much. fixed costs, etc. etc. also- they always talk about how GREAT it is being a huge class.


and yep. 2 years out of UG...welcome to the real world. I graduated from a fantastic school and this is what I have to show for it. I would say half my friends (who all graduated with honors, WE, etc.) are still living at home with their parents. I'm on my own, but struggling.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 am

TripTrip wrote:When was Harvard's class size 650?!

My b. I ballpark a lot of these estimates once they're past 400... :oops:

twinkletoes16 wrote:and yep. 2 years out of UG...welcome to the real world. I graduated from a fantastic school and this is what I have to show for it. I would say half my friends (who all graduated with honors, WE, etc.) are still living at home with their parents. I'm on my own, but struggling.

I... I.... *runs and hides back in UG bubble*

I think the disparity between college graduates post-grad is amazing. Consulting/finance will give you six-figure incomes your first year out, but if you miss that boat, it seems like you're stuck doing minimum-wage. Crazy.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 am

carboncopyx wrote:
TripTrip wrote:When was Harvard's class size 650?!

My b. I ballpark a lot of these estimates once they're past 400... :oops:

twinkletoes16 wrote:and yep. 2 years out of UG...welcome to the real world. I graduated from a fantastic school and this is what I have to show for it. I would say half my friends (who all graduated with honors, WE, etc.) are still living at home with their parents. I'm on my own, but struggling.

I... I.... *runs and hides back in UG bubble*

I think the disparity between college graduates post-grad is amazing. Consulting/finance will give you six-figure incomes your first year out, but if you miss that boat, it seems like you're stuck doing minimum-wage. Crazy.

They ain't lowering the class size too much: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... SlE&gid=30

I couldn't imagine $7.50/hr. I'm still in UG and I live on my own, but that wage would suck. I'm sorry.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 am

Was at 8.25/hr here. Decided to quit my job and blow all my savings. Man, can't wait for that first loan COL check. :D

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:14 am

sinfiery wrote:Was at 8.25/hr here. Decided to quit my job and blow all my savings. Man, can't wait for that first loan COL check. :D


Don't tell the Department of Education but some of that first check will be going towards credit card debt. Did I mention I make $7.25 an hour and live in New York? I think even Paul Campos would recommend I go to law school at this point.

ETA: But I think my current work will really help me in the long run. First I'm definitely going to appreciate any job so much where I use my brain, which will be nice when big law is slowly crushing my soul. And second customer service has forced me to hone my social interaction skills, which is good because I'm pretty much an introvert. So yeah, minimum wage work isn't all bad, just mostly bad.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 am

Yukos wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Was at 8.25/hr here. Decided to quit my job and blow all my savings. Man, can't wait for that first loan COL check. :D


Don't tell the Department of Education but some of that first check will be going towards credit card debt. Did I mention I make $7.25 an hour and live in New York? I think even Paul Campos would recommend I go to law school at this point.

:shock: This summer, I paid $17 for a shot in NYC. Seventeen. Freaking. Dollars. NYC is nearly impossible to live in on anything near minimum wage. Major props for getting by.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 am

ITT: smart, talented folks who did things the right way are living proof as to why shitboomers got it all wrong.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 am

carboncopyx wrote:
Yukos wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Was at 8.25/hr here. Decided to quit my job and blow all my savings. Man, can't wait for that first loan COL check. :D


Don't tell the Department of Education but some of that first check will be going towards credit card debt. Did I mention I make $7.25 an hour and live in New York? I think even Paul Campos would recommend I go to law school at this point.

:shock: This summer, I paid $17 for a shot in NYC. Seventeen. Freaking. Dollars. NYC is nearly impossible to live in on anything near minimum wage. Major props for getting by.


:shock: was it at least a fancy shot that took some work to make? Or did he literally just spend 1 second pouring and then charge you $17? (btw, $17 for a second of work is an hourly wage I don't think any of us would complain about)

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 am

trojandave wrote: :shock: was it at least a fancy shot that took some work to make? Or did he literally just spend 1 second pouring and then charge you $17? (btw, $17 for a second of work is an hourly wage I don't think any of us would complain about)

Tequila. Straight. I felt so ripped off when I got the bill and it said $34 (for two). It was in Chelsea, though, so make of that what you will...

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am

Yukos wrote:
ETA: But I think my current work will really help me in the long run. First I'm definitely going to appreciate any job so much where I use my brain, which will be nice when big law is slowly crushing my soul. And second customer service has forced me to hone my social interaction skills, which is good because I'm pretty much an introvert. So yeah, minimum wage work isn't all bad, just mostly bad.



THIS so much. Dude, yukos, PM me, i bet we have some stories to tell.


Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

I panicked last summer after a post-traumatic job, and thought I should postpone law school until I was sure it was what I wanted. Now I'm sure, after the work I'm doing now. Especially with the pay scale...5 years to MAYBE get to a 30k salaried gig. NOPE.
Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am

carboncopyx wrote:
trojandave wrote: :shock: was it at least a fancy shot that took some work to make? Or did he literally just spend 1 second pouring and then charge you $17? (btw, $17 for a second of work is an hourly wage I don't think any of us would complain about)

Tequila. Straight. I felt so ripped off when I got the bill and it said $34 (for two). It was in Chelsea, though, so make of that what you will...


drinking at home ftw

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 am

TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.



yes, please don't out me... and remember, i DID do that, now i work in a different part of the world.


ETA if i could just dick around on the internet for like... $20/hour, I think I'd be happy.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.



yes, please don't out me... and remember, i DID do that, now i work in a different part of the world.


ETA if i could just dick around on the internet for like... $20/hour, I think I'd be happy.

But you still work for the same company and they still pay jack?

Come work retail loss prevention with me. The pay and the job description both beat the hell out of that!

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 am

TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.



yes, please don't out me... and remember, i DID do that, now i work in a different part of the world.


ETA if i could just dick around on the internet for like... $20/hour, I think I'd be happy.

But you still work for the same company and they still pay jack?

Come work retail loss prevention with me. The pay and the job description both beat the hell out of that!



same company, still jack. to be fair, the COL is fairly cheap here. but to move up the ladder, even with my fancy degree and bilingualism, would take 3+ years if i was moving at lightning speed for here. I just don't think I could do it. Also, I don't want to live here. take me back to cali!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 am

TrustInMusic wrote:
az21833 wrote:i would say your in good shape considering i got js1 with 171/4 after going complete on 1/15 and you went complete 1/22 with 171/4. that seems to suggest you're invite is literally around the corner. As for the differences in when you go complete, thats pure logistics / has nothing to do with the merit of your application. so in order words, rejoice wert my brother in arms, reverse splitters are in vogue (i kid). in all seriousness though, i think good news is on its way to you by the end of next week.


az!!!!!! I was so happy when I saw your JS1 post!!
All the 171 reverse splits have to hold hands and pray for a JS2 in the future :P


This. We a fam.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 am

carboncopyx wrote:Tequila. Straight. I felt so ripped off when I got the bill and it said $34 (for two). It was in Chelsea, though, so make of that what you will...


Yikes, I really hope it was something fancy and not just a shot of Jose. The best tequila I ever had was at a wedding when the father of the bride busted out some Tres Quatro Cinco, which was insanely good, but I still don't think I'd pay $17 unless it also came in a gold shot glass. Then again I'm still a poor.

TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.


Did you really just figure that out without any kind of back story or extra info?? Forget law school, you should be a detective.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 am

trojandave wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:Tequila. Straight. I felt so ripped off when I got the bill and it said $34 (for two). It was in Chelsea, though, so make of that what you will...


Yikes, I really hope it was something fancy and not just a shot of Jose. The best tequila I ever had was at a wedding when the father of the bride busted out some Tres Quatro Cinco, which was insanely good, but I still don't think I'd pay $17 unless it also came in a gold shot glass. Then again I'm still a poor.

TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.


Did you really just figure that out without any kind of back story or extra info?? Forget law school, you should be a detective.



Hahaha noooo we've PMed. I don't think anyone would guess it off the bat and as I've said before, it would out me in an instant.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 am

trojandave wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying not to out myself, but i work in one of the HEAVIEST customer service-oriented industries/companies so I basically kiss ass all day to fat entitled idiots for minimum wage and have to do so with a smile on my face. I will appreciate any job where I use my brain AND get paid more...biglaw doesn't seem that bad from here. Maybe if I was straight out of UG and thinking I had all kinds of options but now...

Wait, are you talking about what I think you're talking about? That only pays minimum wage?! What the heck?!

I pretend to shop all day for $12.50/hr. Nowhere near as annoying.


Did you really just figure that out without any kind of back story or extra info?? Forget law school, you should be a detective.

My job title presently is Detective. That's the pay. Hence: law school.

Besides, it's pretty obvious that twinkle is a waitress at Hooters.
Last edited by TripTrip on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, curry1, danid83, Google [Bot], hopeful applicant, jprath2, NotAGolfer, VapidP and 29 guests