Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Wormfather wrote:I thought they'd send out some JS2s after the bloodbath. Guess I was wrong.


not on the day of boston massacre

eta: put some of these ppls numbers through mylsn and see what it spits out. its literally unreal. what is going on this cycle - the opposite of what everybody thought?

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

az21833 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I thought they'd send out some JS2s after the bloodbath. Guess I was wrong.


not on the day of boston massacre

eta: put some of these ppls numbers through mylsn and see what it spits out. its literally unreal. what is going on this cycle - the opposite of what everybody thought?

Maybe softs are mattering more than before?

User avatar
pedestrian
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pedestrian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
az21833 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I thought they'd send out some JS2s after the bloodbath. Guess I was wrong.


not on the day of boston massacre

eta: put some of these ppls numbers through mylsn and see what it spits out. its literally unreal. what is going on this cycle - the opposite of what everybody thought?

Maybe softs are mattering more than before?


That seems as implausible as that thing above about them not caring whether they are second or third in the rankings. And yet, nothing makes sense.

User avatar
hhockberger
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby hhockberger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Dinged. Definitely expected that. Good luck to those of you holding out hope!

User avatar
Spritzpiggy
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Spritzpiggy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh jeez! I'm sorry :( I thought (incorrectly I see) that dings would end at 5...

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm

pedestrian wrote:That seems as implausible as that thing above about them not caring whether they are second or third in the rankings. And yet, nothing makes sense.


Explain to me why Harvard would rather be 2nd than 3rd other than general human competitiveness. Not being snide. My reasons why I thought they wouldn't care:

HYS is such a distinct category that unless you are first no one really makes a huge distinction.
Any difference in job outcomes (clerkships) due to rankings seem tied to Stanford's smaller class size. Or at the very least not likely to change dramatically if they were to switch spots.
Stanford will still be more selective than Harvard if they switched (class size).
This may be terribly naive but I can't see someone choosing between S and H based on ranking. They are just such different schools in terms of fit and so similar in terms of outcomes.
Tough for me to see donors putting the heat on HLS for being 3rd.

What am I missing? Regardless I stand by my point that today's actions in no way suggest that that is was is going on. It's Harvard, even in the worst years its gonna be absurdly hard to get into. I think the SUPER EPIC LEGENDARY(TM) rap this cycle is getting has mislead some folks.
Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hhockberger
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby hhockberger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:Oh jeez! I'm sorry :( I thought (incorrectly I see) that dings would end at 5...


I actually got the email 2 hours ago, so I think it's safe for everyone to stop panicking at 5 ;)

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm

wert3813 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:That seems as implausible as that thing above about them not caring whether they are second or third in the rankings. And yet, nothing makes sense.


Explain to me why Harvard would rather be 2nd than 3rd other than general human competitiveness. Not being snide. My reasons why I thought they wouldn't care:

HYS is such a distinct category that unless you are first no one really makes a huge distinction.
Any difference in job outcomes (clerkships) due to rankings seem tied to Stanford's smaller class size. Or at the very least not likely to change dramatically if they were to switch spots.
Stanford will still be more selective than Harvard if they switched (class size).
This may be terribly naive but I can't see someone choosing between S and H based on ranking. They are just such different schools in terms of fit and so similar in terms of outcomes.
Tough for me to see donors putting the heat on HLS for being 3rd.

What am I missing? Regardless I stand by my point that today's actions in no way suggest that that is was is going on. It's Harvard, even in the worst years its gonna be absurdly hard to get into. I think the SUPER EPIC LEGENDARY(TM) rap this cycle is getting has mislead some folks.


I agree with a lot of this. However, I think there were a decent # of people who chose Stanford over Harvard last year due to the rankings swap (as irrational as that might seem). Harvard had a bigger-than-average waitlist admit wave, and this was partly attributed to the # of students that chose to enroll at other schools (e.g. Stanford) despite being accepted to HLS.

I'm not saying that is truth as a whole, but those were and are the rumblings from a year ago.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:25 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:That seems as implausible as that thing above about them not caring whether they are second or third in the rankings. And yet, nothing makes sense.


Explain to me why Harvard would rather be 2nd than 3rd other than general human competitiveness. Not being snide. My reasons why I thought they wouldn't care:

HYS is such a distinct category that unless you are first no one really makes a huge distinction.
Any difference in job outcomes (clerkships) due to rankings seem tied to Stanford's smaller class size. Or at the very least not likely to change dramatically if they were to switch spots.
Stanford will still be more selective than Harvard if they switched (class size).
This may be terribly naive but I can't see someone choosing between S and H based on ranking. They are just such different schools in terms of fit and so similar in terms of outcomes.
Tough for me to see donors putting the heat on HLS for being 3rd.

What am I missing? Regardless I stand by my point that today's actions in no way suggest that that is was is going on. It's Harvard, even in the worst years its gonna be absurdly hard to get into. I think the SUPER EPIC LEGENDARY(TM) rap this cycle is getting has mislead some folks.


I agree with a lot of this. However, I think there were a decent # of people who chose Stanford over Harvard last year due to the rankings swap (as irrational as that might seem). Harvard had a bigger-than-average waitlist admit wave, and this was partly attributed to the # of students that chose to enroll at other schools (e.g. Stanford) despite being accepted to HLS.

I'm not saying that is truth as a whole, but those were and are the rumblings from a year ago.


Lots of reasons to go to Stanford over Harvard. Just seems nuts that that number is one of them.

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby vzapana » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

wert3813 wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:That seems as implausible as that thing above about them not caring whether they are second or third in the rankings. And yet, nothing makes sense.


Explain to me why Harvard would rather be 2nd than 3rd other than general human competitiveness. Not being snide. My reasons why I thought they wouldn't care:

HYS is such a distinct category that unless you are first no one really makes a huge distinction.
Any difference in job outcomes (clerkships) due to rankings seem tied to Stanford's smaller class size. Or at the very least not likely to change dramatically if they were to switch spots.
Stanford will still be more selective than Harvard if they switched (class size).
This may be terribly naive but I can't see someone choosing between S and H based on ranking. They are just such different schools in terms of fit and so similar in terms of outcomes.
Tough for me to see donors putting the heat on HLS for being 3rd.

What am I missing? Regardless I stand by my point that today's actions in no way suggest that that is was is going on. It's Harvard, even in the worst years its gonna be absurdly hard to get into. I think the SUPER EPIC LEGENDARY(TM) rap this cycle is getting has mislead some folks.


I agree with a lot of this. However, I think there were a decent # of people who chose Stanford over Harvard last year due to the rankings swap (as irrational as that might seem). Harvard had a bigger-than-average waitlist admit wave, and this was partly attributed to the # of students that chose to enroll at other schools (e.g. Stanford) despite being accepted to HLS.

I'm not saying that is truth as a whole, but those were and are the rumblings from a year ago.


Lots of reasons to go to Stanford over Harvard. Just seems nuts that that number is one of them.


there is a significant number of smart people who are nuts.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Whoa. Sorry everyone. :(

Mid-Nov complete here, no JS1, no hold/ding (yet).

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Jaqen wrote:Whoa. Sorry everyone. :(

Mid-Nov complete here, no JS1, no hold/ding (yet).


Uh check your spam folder? If not you are definitely an outlier for that time. I feel like most pre Thanksgiving have heard one way or another.

Side note--to me holding pre-JS1 an over 75th GPA and 172 LSAT (LSATPrepGuy) was the oddest thing that happened today. Those numbers get in at like a 90% clip. http://myLSN.info/173q5q

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Whoa. Sorry everyone. :(

Mid-Nov complete here, no JS1, no hold/ding (yet).


Uh check your spam folder? If not you are definitely an outlier for that time. I feel like most pre Thanksgiving have heard one way or another.

Side note--to me holding pre-JS1 an over 75th GPA and 172 LSAT (LSATPrepGuy) was the oddest thing that happened today. Those numbers get in at like a 90% clip. http://myLSN.info/173q5q


He's not that much of an outlier. I was complete before Thanksgiving, and I also have heard nothing at all.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Just sent somewhat of a hail mary update to Harvard after the hold email. Would rather not say what it is, but I figure I'm not getting in if I leave my application as it is, so I might as well send something.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Whoa. Sorry everyone. :(

Mid-Nov complete here, no JS1, no hold/ding (yet).


Uh check your spam folder? If not you are definitely an outlier for that time. I feel like most pre Thanksgiving have heard one way or another.

Side note--to me holding pre-JS1 an over 75th GPA and 172 LSAT (LSATPrepGuy) was the oddest thing that happened today. Those numbers get in at like a 90% clip. http://myLSN.info/173q5q


He's not that much of an outlier. I was complete before Thanksgiving, and I also have heard nothing at all.


Good to know. Anyone complete in October still floating in space?

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Whoa. Sorry everyone. :(

Mid-Nov complete here, no JS1, no hold/ding (yet).


Uh check your spam folder? If not you are definitely an outlier for that time. I feel like most pre Thanksgiving have heard one way or another.

Side note--to me holding pre-JS1 an over 75th GPA and 172 LSAT (LSATPrepGuy) was the oddest thing that happened today. Those numbers get in at like a 90% clip. http://myLSN.info/173q5q


My spam folder is empty.

Cicero76 wrote:He's not that much of an outlier. I was complete before Thanksgiving, and I also have heard nothing at all.


Glad I'm not alone. I saw a few others (and an awesome Jurassic pic) a few pages back.

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby porch » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm

So maybe some JS1's coming out on monday tuesday for those of us who survived this hold/ding assault?

edit: monday is MLK day.

User avatar
broadstreet11
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby broadstreet11 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 pm

porch wrote:So maybe some JS1's coming out on monday tuesday for those of us who survived this hold/ding assault?

edit: monday is MLK day.


I wish, but I doubt it. I don't think they would have JS1's until the end of next week at least since they just did them yesterday. JS2s on Tuesday are more likely.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Alright, I've had some time so here is my attempt at rationalizing this...

Maybe H meant what they said in the hold e-mail. This is a weird cycle, and things aren't going to clear up until they've been through all the applications and see where everything lies. The numbers indicate that H needs to admit fewer people, admit more splitters, or let their medians slip, but maybe they're taking their time determining to what extent these three options will be weighed. I don't know how previous cycles went, but a lot of the people held were "borderline" candidates. Were splitters getting hold e-mails last year, or were they getting waitlisted?

threonine
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby threonine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm still sitting at complete from the first batch on 10/10... anyone else? I have no idea what's going on (and yes, I've double-checked through all my email folders... multiple times haha)

Not complaining, since I got into my absolute dream school earlier this week -- just confused/curious!

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Alright, I've had some time so here is my attempt at rationalizing this...

Maybe H meant what they said in the hold e-mail. This is a weird cycle, and things aren't going to clear up until they've been through all the applications and see where everything lies. The numbers indicate that H needs to admit fewer people, admit more splitters, or let their medians slip, but maybe they're taking their time determining to what extent these three options will be weighed. I don't know how previous cycles went, but a lot of the people held were "borderline" candidates. Were splitters getting hold e-mails last year, or were they getting waitlisted?

Other options (which schools, including H, may or may not employ): accept more transfers, and accept more (high GPA) applicants who tested with accommodations.

ETA: Although, I think you have a good chance with the amazing LSAT (179, right?)

Also, they can't just accept as many of these kinds of applicants as they want, I suppose. They'd still try to be inconspicuous, I would think, which means they might do it if they were only one or two students away from meeting a goal median.
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Rejected today. I did not see this coming at all.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Alright, I've had some time so here is my attempt at rationalizing this...

Maybe H meant what they said in the hold e-mail. This is a weird cycle, and things aren't going to clear up until they've been through all the applications and see where everything lies. The numbers indicate that H needs to admit fewer people, admit more splitters, or let their medians slip, but maybe they're taking their time determining to what extent these three options will be weighed. I don't know how previous cycles went, but a lot of the people held were "borderline" candidates. Were splitters getting hold e-mails last year, or were they getting waitlisted?

Did you JS1 or no? I feel like they're going to be using the hold pile fairly heavily this cycle.

User avatar
Nala7892
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Nala7892 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Audeamus wrote:
bigbang wrote:Good luck to everyone! FYI, I am a 1L and I got in last year with a 168 and 173. Crazy, I know, but I think they definitely took the highest for me. Shows that not everything is 100% numbers based (in my opinion at least)!


if you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA?


If they did average my scores, that means they let me in with a 3.76/168, and I'm non-URM K-JD. I feel like they probably took my highest, which is still only a 170

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Nala7892 wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
bigbang wrote:Good luck to everyone! FYI, I am a 1L and I got in last year with a 168 and 173. Crazy, I know, but I think they definitely took the highest for me. Shows that not everything is 100% numbers based (in my opinion at least)!


if you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA?


If they did average my scores, that means they let me in with a 3.76/168, and I'm non-URM K-JD. I feel like they probably took my highest, which is still only a 170



Wait, you're under both medians? You are one lucky SOB olympian




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Kaziende, zeglo and 21 guests