Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:40 am

TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


This is great. I choose to believe everything you say

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 am

TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


This is basically spot on...except for the fact that we don't actually know if Harvard's current median is a 172 or 173. Also here's to betting that they won't be able to keep a 173 this year.

I would go so far as to predict that of the T14 schools that don't drop class size 75% will drop median. Maybe more.

Again none of these facts in any way should rain on a splitter's parade.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 am

wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


This is basically spot on...except for the fact that we don't actually know if Harvard's current median is a 172 or 173. Also here's to betting that they won't be able to keep a 173 this year.

I would go so far as to predict that of the T14 schools that don't drop class size 75% will drop median. Maybe more.

Again none of these facts in any way should rain on a splitter's parade.

That's true. However, if Harvard can't/didn't maintain a 173, that's even better for splitters. The number of 172s who could help maintain the new median wouldn't really offset the obvious decline in 172+ scorers.

The number of potentials at that LSAT level goes down non-negligibly when you factor in super-duper splitters (think 2.0/173), C&F auto-denials, LSAT prep folks, and people who really just don't know how the law school application process works and attend a crap school with a sweet LSAT.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 am

TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


This is basically spot on...except for the fact that we don't actually know if Harvard's current median is a 172 or 173. Also here's to betting that they won't be able to keep a 173 this year.

I would go so far as to predict that of the T14 schools that don't drop class size 75% will drop median. Maybe more.

Again none of these facts in any way should rain on a splitter's parade.

That's true. However, if Harvard can't/didn't maintain a 173, that's even better for splitters. The number of 172s who could help maintain the new median wouldn't really offset the obvious decline in 172+ scorers.

The number of potentials at that LSAT level goes down non-negligibly when you factor in super-duper splitters (think 2.0/173), C&F auto-denials, LSAT prep folks, and people who really just don't know how the law school application process works and attend a crap school with a sweet LSAT.


If this means I have a chance in hell with my 174/3.6, then you are beautiful to me.

User avatar
bellagio
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bellagio » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 am

ph5354a wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


This is basically spot on...except for the fact that we don't actually know if Harvard's current median is a 172 or 173. Also here's to betting that they won't be able to keep a 173 this year.

I would go so far as to predict that of the T14 schools that don't drop class size 75% will drop median. Maybe more.

Again none of these facts in any way should rain on a splitter's parade.

That's true. However, if Harvard can't/didn't maintain a 173, that's even better for splitters. The number of 172s who could help maintain the new median wouldn't really offset the obvious decline in 172+ scorers.

The number of potentials at that LSAT level goes down non-negligibly when you factor in super-duper splitters (think 2.0/173), C&F auto-denials, LSAT prep folks, and people who really just don't know how the law school application process works and attend a crap school with a sweet LSAT.


If this means I have a chance in hell with my 174/3.6, then you are beautiful to me.


Same numbers, same thoughts.

Image

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 am

How do I go about updating my transcript? Through LSAC or directly to the law schools? Also, should I e-mail the law schools still holding on a decision and alert them to my increase from 3.5 to 3.55?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 am

Alright I'll do that today.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 am

Splitters (other than Noodley... your goddamn 179 throws off my bell curve): http://myLSN.info/16wcm0

Your chances are better than that because applications are down more this cycle (and down most among qualified HLS LSAT median increasers like yourselves).

For the sake of argument, let's say that those chances increase to 60% this cycle. I think ~70% of JS1ers are admitted. That number includes auto-admits, so it's probably safe to say it's closer to 60% for splitters. That means they need to give almost all of you a JS1 to fret about before the cycle is over.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 am

TripTrip wrote:Splitters (other than Noodley... your goddamn 179 throws off my bell curve): http://myLSN.info/16wcm0

Your chances are better than that because applications are down more this cycle (and down most among qualified HLS LSAT median increasers like yourselves).

For the sake of argument, let's say that those chances increase to 60% this cycle. I think ~70% of JS1ers are admitted. That number includes auto-admits, so it's probably safe to say it's closer to 60% for splitters. That means they need to give almost all of you a JS1 to fret about before the cycle is over.



I like your crystal ball the best so far. Hah!

ETA: from what I remember though the FB group is filling up pretty fast. I don't think there's that many spots left.

Anyone think no JS1s til next week? Lavitz? Bueller?

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 am

So maybe JS1s today and a bloodbath of rejections and holds tomorrow? Baseless speculation for fun.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am

Cicero76 wrote:So maybe JS1s today and a bloodbath of rejections and holds tomorrow? Baseless speculation for fun.



Did JS2s go out this week already?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 am

TripTrip wrote:Splitters (other than Noodley... your goddamn 179 throws off my bell curve): http://myLSN.info/16wcm0

Your chances are better than that because applications are down more this cycle (and down most among qualified HLS LSAT median increasers like yourselves).

For the sake of argument, let's say that those chances increase to 60% this cycle. I think ~70% of JS1ers are admitted. That number includes auto-admits, so it's probably safe to say it's closer to 60% for splitters. That means they need to give almost all of you a JS1 to fret about before the cycle is over.

Well count me among the 40%, then. Or the 30% of unsuccessful JS1 folks. Both, actually.

housebro13
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby housebro13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:So maybe JS1s today and a bloodbath of rejections and holds tomorrow? Baseless speculation for fun.



Did JS2s go out this week already?


Yeah they had a few Monday, but I think (I hope) they will have more JS2s tomorrow.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:27 pm

This is the thread to be neurotic in, right?

I just requested my updated transcript from my university, but I expect it to take a few days to get to LSAC, and then to Harvard (and Columbia and Chicago, I suppose). Would it be wise to send an e-mail to Harvard telling them my LSDAS GPA increased as a result of my last semester and an updated transcript is on the way, to maybe forestall a WL/Ding?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Splitters (other than Noodley... your goddamn 179 throws off my bell curve): http://myLSN.info/16wcm0

Your chances are better than that because applications are down more this cycle (and down most among qualified HLS LSAT median increasers like yourselves).

For the sake of argument, let's say that those chances increase to 60% this cycle. I think ~70% of JS1ers are admitted. That number includes auto-admits, so it's probably safe to say it's closer to 60% for splitters. That means they need to give almost all of you a JS1 to fret about before the cycle is over.



I like your crystal ball the best so far. Hah!

ETA: from what I remember though the FB group is filling up pretty fast. I don't think there's that many spots left.

Anyone think no JS1s til next week? Lavitz? Bueller?

The facebook group is at 200 of a class of 550+. Don't fret yet. :)

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm

TripTrip wrote:The facebook group is at 200 of a class of 550+. Don't fret yet. :)



I'm sure some also joined the class that may or may not be whisked away by the calls of YS.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:25 pm

sinfiery wrote:
TripTrip wrote:The facebook group is at 200 of a class of 550+. Don't fret yet. :)



I'm sure some also joined the class that may or may not be whisked away by the calls of YS.

Both of those observations made me feel less anxious.

User avatar
Jcastro1
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Checking in. Submitted today 01/17

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


What about us with a decent LSAT and super high GPA (such as myself with a 169/4.14). How do you think this will fare?

Maybe they will except people with really high LSATs above their median but with GPAs below their usual cut-off and then try and balance it out with people like me? Here's to hoping...

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm

kfischm1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


What about us with a decent LSAT and super high GPA (such as myself with a 169/4.14). How do you think this will fare?

Maybe they will except people with really high LSATs above their median but with GPAs below their usual cut-off and then try and balance it out with people like me? Here's to hoping...



Not to dash your dreams or anything, but I remember reading on TLS somewhere that there is a finite number of high LSATs but an almost infinite number if high GPAs. Retake if you can, don't waste that GPA

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Sent them an appropriately brown nosing e-mail about my GPA increase. I feel like I'm up against trips with a flush draw and waiting for the river. Except waiting for that card to turn is taking months and not seconds.

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You're not out yet, twink. Harvard needs at least 280 people with an LSAT of 173 or higher. This cycle I think the estimate on the number of applicants matching that criteria is well under 1,000. After Yale, Stanford, Hamiltons, and Rubys take some of those, Harvard is going to have to admit a sizeable number of splitters to maintain its medians. They're putting off the splitters until March to see who they have to choose from; little do they know, they'll have to admit most of y'all in the end.


What about us with a decent LSAT and super high GPA (such as myself with a 169/4.14). How do you think this will fare?

Maybe they will except people with really high LSATs above their median but with GPAs below their usual cut-off and then try and balance it out with people like me? Here's to hoping...



Not to dash your dreams or anything, but I remember reading on TLS somewhere that there is a finite number of high LSATs but an almost infinite number if high GPAs. Retake if you can, don't waste that GPA


Already have retaken twice and improved my score by 10 points from the first two tests. :-/ I guess I'll just have to hope they are dazzled by my softs. Or a miracle. Either way works for me.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Wormfather wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Sent them an appropriately brown nosing e-mail about my GPA increase. I feel like I'm up against trips with a flush draw and waiting for the river. Except waiting for that card to turn is taking months and not seconds.


And then the board pairs...


With the card that makes your flush.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Assuming HLS isn't going to lower class sizes everyone is in a good situation this year. BUT it is somewhat hopeful to think that HLS is going to need people who are below there LSAT 25th simply on GPA. Remember that as far as every reported analysis is concerned a 4.00 169 and a 4.00 130 are the same candidate. People with 172 and 171s and high GPAs (above the 75th) and in a better position because they contribute something in the shape of an LSAT and might be in a really helpful position depending on where median ends up.

User avatar
kuddlykoala
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kuddlykoala » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

skype interview offer with hls admin staff. Good or bad sign? i thought js1 was a phone interview




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Nayanthika, xnsch and 11 guests