Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kingsfield69

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kingsfield69 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 pm

banjo wrote:
swoosh wrote:Think it would be out of line to ask JS about the turnaround from JS1 to JS2 at the end of the interview?

Don't waste a question on this. 15 minutes goes by fast. Ask her something that shows you researched Harvard and that it would be a good fit for you.

Then again, I never got a js2 so I'm pretty sure you should do the opposite of what I just said.

I agree with this advice. If JS opens the door for you to ask questions, I think almost anything about HLS is fair game ... but process questions show the least curiosity. Of course, there are no universal rules and every interview has its own flow. JS has ended many interviews with "we'll be in touch soon" ... a standard colloquialism given layers of complex meaning by a JS2 hopeful.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 pm

sinfiery wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:Yeeaaaaa buddy!!

Haha, Lightweight!

Nothin' but a peanut.

...or just congrats.

clouded.memory wrote:I asked this in another thread and was encouraged to post my question here. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated:
clouded.memory wrote:Um, speaking of this last part... I was going to register for the February LSAT tonight... But now that I got a JS1... If I register, will I screw up my chances?

If this has already been covered somewhere else, I apologize.

Basing this on no previous trends whatsoever: I don't see how it could hurt you. They've already extended a JS1 to you, so I imagine they'd at least be willing to accept you with your current score. If your score goes up, good for both you and Harvard, and you increase your chances of getting a JS2 if you haven't already by that time. If you go down, I doubt they'd care. If they see you registered, they may wait until you get your score back, but even if they did, I doubt it would affect the ultimate decision. If you get a JS2 before then...I guess you could just cancel then because you just got into Harvard lol. Only remaining concern I could see would be if they thought you were retaking to score money from a lower school (or get into Yale or Stanford), but I doubt they'd really be worried about their yield that much. Did I miss something else you're concerned about?

swoosh wrote:Think it would be out of line to ask JS about the turnaround from JS1 to JS2 at the end of the interview?

Agree with Banjo and kingsfield. And even if you phrase it delicately, it puts them in an awkward spot because they might decide to hold your app indefinitely, so they wouldn't even be able to give you a timeframe. Then again, I'm in the same boat as Banjo.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:Then again, I'm in the same boat as Banjo.

At least you're in a boat, Lavitz. AT LEAST YOU'RE IN A BOAT

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:

I'm on a boat
I'm on a boat
Everybody look at me
'cuz I'm sailin' on a boat

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 am

Lavitz wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

I'm on a boat
I'm on a boat
Everybody look at me
'cuz I'm sailin' on a boat

we're on page 100.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 am

^^ Ok, I can't explain why that made me lol :lol:

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 am

harvard thread needs some gifs to chillax. so here, from my current favorite cartoon on TV:

--ImageRemoved--

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

sinfiery wrote:JAYYYYYYYYYY ESSSSSSSSSSSSS ONEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Came about 40 minutes ago

Complete 11/29

This made me really happy, twin. Congrats! <3

callmemaybe84

Postby callmemaybe84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 am

sinfiery wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:Yeeaaaaa buddy!!

Haha, Lightweight!

Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

This makes me want to go to school with both of you.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am

How long after received to go complete?

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:44 am

az21833 wrote:How long after received to go complete?

Mine took about two weeks

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 am

Congrats to all the JS1s. I'm sure you'll all join me in nervous breakdown mode in a few days!

-10 hours into interview prep

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 am

Yukos wrote:Congrats to all the JS1s. I'm sure you'll all join me in nervous breakdown mode in a few days!

You'll kill it. Keep prepping and break down immediately after the JS1

kittonmittons

Postby kittonmittons » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 am

Yukos wrote:Congrats to all the JS1s. I'm sure you'll all join me in nervous breakdown mode in a few days!

For people preparing for JS1's, I highly, highly recommend not stressing out too much. In previous years, the HLS interview was, like, 10 minutes long and basically just to make sure you could communicate like a normal person. Although the format has changed and the length has extended, I think that's still the basic point. I think if you wind yourself up too much, it can actually hurt your prospects by causing you to be all stressed out in your interview.

When I got my JS1, I was super excited, and a couple friends at HLS told me that it was a really good sign and I should just be happy. I came to TLS to look for questions to expect, and I ended up reading the whole thread and absolutely panicking about my interview, not doing well, not getting in, etc. I banned myself from the site until my JS1 was over and tried to go back to remembering that I'd already gotten selected for an interview, so I should feel confident and relaxed.

When I had my interview, JS literally started it by telling me what she'd liked about my application and what her potential concerns were, then asked me to alleviate them. So, 1. that gives you a good idea what you'll likely get asked about (what is your weak point or something not answered fully by your app?), and 2. it confirms, I believe, that the interview is really only a positive thing. It's your chance to help them like you better and to potentially deal with any lingering questions in the admissions department's minds. I can't say for sure, but I believe if you get a JS1, a spot is probably more or less yours to lose.

This was a really long way of saying not to stress too much about the JS1. As a gauge of your communication abilities, being totally stressed-out or giving canned answers that sound robotic from prepping too much are counterproductive. The interviewers are nice, and the conversation will flow naturally, and you all will do really well! :lol: :lol:

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

carboncopyx wrote:This made me really happy, twin. Congrats! <3

kittonmittons wrote:For people preparing for JS1's, ..

Appreciate the advice!

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 am

Lavitz wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:I asked this in another thread and was encouraged to post my question here. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated:
clouded.memory wrote:Um, speaking of this last part... I was going to register for the February LSAT tonight... But now that I got a JS1... If I register, will I screw up my chances?

If this has already been covered somewhere else, I apologize.

Basing this on no previous trends whatsoever: I don't see how it could hurt you. They've already extended a JS1 to you, so I imagine they'd at least be willing to accept you with your current score. If your score goes up, good for both you and Harvard, and you increase your chances of getting a JS2 if you haven't already by that time. If you go down, I doubt they'd care. If they see you registered, they may wait until you get your score back, but even if they did, I doubt it would affect the ultimate decision. If you get a JS2 before then...I guess you could just cancel then because you just got into Harvard lol. Only remaining concern I could see would be if they thought you were retaking to score money from a lower school (or get into Yale or Stanford), but I doubt they'd really be worried about their yield that much. Did I miss something else you're concerned about?

Thanks for this, Lavitz. I was thinking somewhat the same thing, but wasn't sure... however, this has been reassuring. That last concern was my main one- I really don't want them to think I'm not seriously interested in them, but after reading your post and thinking about it some more, it doesn't sound like that will really be an issue.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Sent in my app mid November. Status checker says the last time they touched my app is to confirm that it's complete two months ago and haven't touched it yet. Safe to say they placed the completed app in the rejection pile not to be touched again?

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:Sent in my app mid November. Status checker says the last time they touched my app is to confirm that it's complete two months ago and haven't touched it yet. Safe to say they placed the completed app in the rejection pile not to be touched again?

No one know. The last time that my app was updated was 10/10. My numbers indicate a hold/ding, but Havard did some crazy things last year when applicants were down. You'll know for sure by April, I promise.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 pm

kittonmittons wrote:

For people preparing for JS1's, I highly, highly recommend not stressing out too much. In previous years, the HLS interview was, like, 10 minutes long and basically just to make sure you could communicate like a normal person. Although the format has changed and the length has extended, I think that's still the basic point. I think if you wind yourself up too much, it can actually hurt your prospects by causing you to be all stressed out in your interview.

When I got my JS1, I was super excited, and a couple friends at HLS told me that it was a really good sign and I should just be happy. I came to TLS to look for questions to expect, and I ended up reading the whole thread and absolutely panicking about my interview, not doing well, not getting in, etc. I banned myself from the site until my JS1 was over and tried to go back to remembering that I'd already gotten selected for an interview, so I should feel confident and relaxed.

When I had my interview, JS literally started it by telling me what she'd liked about my application and what her potential concerns were, then asked me to alleviate them. So, 1. that gives you a good idea what you'll likely get asked about (what is your weak point or something not answered fully by your app?), and 2. it confirms, I believe, that the interview is really only a positive thing. It's your chance to help them like you better and to potentially deal with any lingering questions in the admissions department's minds. I can't say for sure, but I believe if you get a JS1, a spot is probably more or less yours to lose.

This was a really long way of saying not to stress too much about the JS1. As a gauge of your communication abilities, being totally stressed-out or giving canned answers that sound robotic from prepping too much are counterproductive. The interviewers are nice, and the conversation will flow naturally, and you all will do really well! :lol: :lol:

I like you.

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 pm

kittonmittons wrote:

Great advice. Thanks for this.

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Anyone want to speculate when the next round of JS2s might be?

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

bdeebs wrote:
kittonmittons wrote:

I like you.

+1

housebro13

Postby housebro13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Interviewed earlier. Think it went well. I agree with others when they say Jessica Soban is absolutely amazing! My interview went a little over the 15 mins because I got her to talk about her experiences at Harvard Law.

housebro13

Postby housebro13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I, Lawyer wrote:Anyone want to speculate when the next round of JS2s might be?

I'm thinking this Thursday or Friday....but maybe that is just wishful thinking?

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 pm

housebro13 wrote:
I, Lawyer wrote:Anyone want to speculate when the next round of JS2s might be?

I'm thinking this Thursday or Friday....but maybe that is just wishful thinking?

I interviewed today, and can't remember what her schedule was for this week.

Also, when JS2s start going out again, please post your interview date.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”