Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lavitz

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 am

adoseofwendy wrote:Had my JS1 this morning. Not sure how to interpret it :| .

First she asked about my jump in LSAT score and my GPA trend through undergrad, since my numbers aren't the strongest (LSAT 169/176, GPA ~3.6). She said that although they do look at numbers they're interested in candidates who have done interesting things, etc.

Then she wanted to talk about my Fulbright this year, what kind of research I'm doing this year, how I might eventually apply for an MPP. She asked if law school was the plan the upcoming fall and I said yes. Then we wrapped it up and I asked two questions. She said she looks forward to getting in touch again.

Eek?? Chance or no chance? It seems like a bad sign that her first two questions were about negative aspects of my app.

I think she was just giving you a chance to eliminate the two biggest weaknesses in your app. If you answered to her satisfaction, she'll feel comfortable admitting you--especially since she obviously likes the rest of your app. For what it's worth, I wish KB had asked me about the weaknesses in my app, so then I would know that they did notice them and that they were giving me a chance to put their concerns to rest.

kittonmittons wrote:Can people who have had their JS1 maybe share some of the questions they were asked? I'm nervous for mine this week!

KB's questions are on page 25; JS's are app-focused and therefore unpredictable.

BSC wrote:Submitted 11/20 and still not complete.....

Anyone have any idea on when I can expect that?

Soon.

edamame wrote:For those of you who interviewed, how did you answer the "biggest challenge you will face at HLS" question?

In a way, it's like a weaknesses question. I'm thinking of talking about finding social opportunities beyond my section / year and then discussing student organizations, journals, etc. as a mitigating factor. IDK, though.

I'm in bootcamp mode.

I had no idea, so I just said "mastering law school exams." Figured she'd be impressed that I knew what the deal was. Then again, you should probably do the opposite of whatever I did lol.

Yukos wrote:W.B. Yeats

Nice.

Mr. Elshal wrote:
Cherries2013 wrote:true dat sabanist.

My phone just vibrated...I literally jumped out of my seat and gasped at work. T'was a text from my brother.

HOW LONG CAN I LIVE LIKE THIS??

For some reason, I've received more emails and texts today than any other day I can remember, and each one makes me think Harvard is calling. I appreciate the well-wishes that everyone is giving us, and that helps a little, but it is still miserable. I finally understand what it was like for those in the earlier rounds who got stuck in this position.

Sucks, doesn't it? I see everyone's already fallen into the pit of despair. But the agony will fade in time.

I don't know if it will work for you, but I've found that the best thing I could do for myself was to assume the worst-case scenario: that I'm not getting in at all. Once I accepted that possibility, I realized that not getting into Harvard wasn't the end of the world, and I've been able to move on with my life.

Of course, any of us can still get the call tomorrow or months from now. I know I can still get in, but I try not to dwell on it. I've realized that worrying about whether or not they'll call each day won't help change anything. It would just drive me insane.

But to each his/her own. If you don't hear back soon, I hope you all at least find a way to cope effectively.

Peace.

volp

Postby volp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 am

urm aa, 168, 3.64. just submitted :) but now just feeling nauseous because I didn't make another bullet point for a full (but small) sentence on my resume ugh

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

Lavitz wrote:Sucks, doesn't it? I see everyone's already fallen into the pit of despair. But the agony will fade in time.

I don't know if it will work for you, but I've found that the best thing I could do for myself was to assume the worst-case scenario: that I'm not getting in at all. Once I accepted that possibility, I realized that not getting into Harvard wasn't the end of the world, and I've been able to move on with my life.

Of course, any of us can still get the call tomorrow or months from now. I know I can still get in, but I try not to dwell on it. I've realized that worrying about whether or not they'll call each day won't help change anything. It would just drive me insane.

But to each his/her own. If you don't hear back soon, I hope you all at least find a way to cope effectively.

Peace.

Aw, Lavitz, you're the best.
The bolded is starting to sink in for me. That won't stop me from having several mild heart attacks in a row the next time we see JS2 movement, but the last two days of staring at my phone have wrecked my nerves. Can't keep doing it.

Let's hope for some relief from the waiting for JS0s and JS1s alike today! :)

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 pm

sabanist wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Sucks, doesn't it? I see everyone's already fallen into the pit of despair. But the agony will fade in time.

Peace.

Aw, Lavitz, you're the best.
The bolded is starting to sink in for me. That won't stop me from having several mild heart attacks in a row the next time we see JS2 movement, but the last two days of staring at my phone have wrecked my nerves. Can't keep doing it.

Let's hope for some relief from the waiting for JS0s and JS1s alike today! :)

Lavitz is absolutely right. I kind of got over the whole thing a couple weeks ago. If they call, they call, if they don't, they don't. It's just not worth the anguish.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

submitted 12/3, complete today. I guess it's a waiting game now.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

amsong

Postby amsong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm

helix23 wrote:But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

+1 because I love Yeats and I love the terribly awesomely terrible movie that is Equilibrium.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 pm

amsong wrote:

+1 because I love Yeats and I love the terribly awesomely terrible movie that is Equilibrium.

I vote to elect you as Secretary of the Interior of this thread for knowing that was in Equilibrium.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

otium, Catulle, tibi molestum est:
otio exsultas nimiumque gestis:
otium et reges prius et beatas
perdidit urbes.

If only work were busier this week...

And alas, Homer was all too right when he sang:

But when the sun had climb'd the middle skies,
Jessica then took her golden scales;
Doom against doom she weigh'd, the eternal fates
In counterpoise, of Admits and of Rejects.

amsong

Postby amsong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

helix23 wrote:
amsong wrote:

I vote to elect you as Secretary of the Interior of this thread for knowing that was in Equilibrium.

I would say I'm pleased, but I don't want to be arrested as a sense offender.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 pm

amsong wrote:
helix23 wrote:
amsong wrote:

I would say I'm pleased, but I don't want to be arrested as a sense offender.

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

thats my moms favorite poem ever. tread softly Harvard

danielr

Postby danielr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Question:

I just submitted my app yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon. I expected an email this morning from the Admissions office, to the effect of "Thank you for submitting your application..." but I have not yet received one. Is this abnormal for Harvard? Every other school I have applied to has sent an email within 24 hours acknowledging receipt of the application.

I just want to find out whether this is a matter of course for Harvard before I contact the office to make sure they received the application. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this question.

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Answer:

Crap takes time

ur fine
Last edited by Anonymous4444 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm

danielr wrote:Question:

I just submitted my app yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon. I expected an email this morning from the Admissions office, to the effect of "Thank you for submitting your application..." but I have not yet received one. Is this abnormal for Harvard? Every other school I have applied to has sent an email within 24 hours acknowledging receipt of the application.

I just want to find out whether this is a matter of course for Harvard before I contact the office to make sure they received the application. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this question.

I'll shed some light. Chill the f out. Have you even confirmed that LSAC has sent out your report yet? I never received an email from any school in under 24 hours. I received confirmation from LSAC that the application order had been received.

And just as an FYI, it took Harvard 17 days to send me a "App received" email.

danielr

Postby danielr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:13 pm

helix23 wrote:
danielr wrote:Question:

I'll shed some light. Chill the f out. Have you even confirmed that LSAC has sent out your report yet? I never received an email from any school in under 24 hours. I received confirmation from LSAC that the application order had been received.

And just as an FYI, it took Harvard 17 days to send me a "App received" email.

Yeah, I'm not really worked up about it. And, yes, of course, I checked to make sure the report was sent. I was only asking based on past experience. This is the first school that hasn't replied within one day, so it made me wonder is all.

As an FYI, your "FYI" answered my question.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

danielr wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really worked up about it. And, yes, of course, I checked to make sure the report was sent. I was only asking based on past experience. This is the first school that hasn't replied within one day, so it made me wonder is all.

that's crazy that you've received responses from all the schools that fast.

I'm glad I helped. But as a disclaimer, I applied Day 1. the turnaround may be different for you given that the holidays are coming up and they're dealing with JS1/2.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

helix23 wrote:
danielr wrote:

I'm glad I helped. But as a disclaimer, I applied Day 1. the turnaround may be different for you given that the holidays are coming up and they're dealing with JS1/2.

I had a 24-48 hour turnaround on the 4 I sent out shortly after October score release. Going complete, on the other hand...
I'd just relax. The real anxiety will come later. :(

danielr

Postby danielr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 pm

helix23 wrote:
danielr wrote:

For some the Status Check email was later than the "application received" email, but even Michigan (notorious for taking a long time) got back to me the next day.

That seems like it's probably the reason--the office is just backed up with other, more pressing concerns at the moment.

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm

New avatar...

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:New avatar...

A disguise... I like it. If you get a JS1 in the next week I'm changing mine immediately

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 pm

trojandave wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:New avatar...

A disguise... I like it. If you get a JS1 in the next week I'm changing mine immediately

lol exactly

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Started to re-write "I Dreamed a Dream" for post-JS1 purgatory. Left most of the lyrics the same...

amsong

Postby amsong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 pm

[]
Last edited by amsong on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:55 pm

sabanist wrote:Started to re-write "I Dreamed a Dream" for post-JS1 purgatory. Left most of the lyrics the same...

Hopefully you kept the part about tigers

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”