Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
housebro13

Bronze

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by housebro13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm

clouded.memory wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Day 13 after my JS1 with no JS2s having gone out for my interview bracket..(you don't count worm!) and complete silence today?

you win Harvard, you win.
Same here. Maybe tomorrow?
Well wormfather went JS2 around 7pm.....

ok yeah I'm just going to go with tomorrow or Friday.

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

sinfiery wrote:
clouded.memory wrote: Same here. Maybe tomorrow?
I hope so. I remember there being interview spots almost all week, all day, from Tuesday on, that were eventually no longer available, so there are a good amount of people that interviewed...we definitely would have heard something here, I'd imagine.
No news is good news!

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:33 pm

housebro13 wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Day 13 after my JS1 with no JS2s having gone out for my interview bracket..(you don't count worm!) and complete silence today?

you win Harvard, you win.
Same here. Maybe tomorrow?
Well wormfather went JS2 around 7pm.....

ok yeah I'm just going to go with tomorrow or Friday.
Ok, I guess I will continue to hold on hoping, then...

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

carboncopyx wrote: No news is good news!

Yes, I will attempt to adopt this mindset for 24 hours! But after that, all bets are off :P

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Wormfather wrote:Shall I call JS and see what's up? I mean she called me and gave me the best news Ivr ever gotten last week so we should totes be phone buddies at the least now. Right ?
Yes. Tell her that I am offering to name my firstborn (male or female) after her.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

syr1990

New

Post by syr1990 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Do people that apply this late in the cycle even have a chance? Wanting to apply today (was discouraged earlier in the cycle because of my LSAT score), but have for some reason started to regret not applying. GPA right above 75th, LSAT well below 25th.

syr1990

New

Post by syr1990 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Wormfather wrote:
syr1990 wrote:Do people that apply this late in the cycle even have a chance? Wanting to apply today (was discouraged earlier in the cycle because of my LSAT score), but have for some reason started to regret not applying. GPA right above 75th, LSAT well below 25th.
Time doesn't matter so much. Softs? URM? Non-trad?
non-urm and straight out of undergrad. Some pretty strong softs, and I think a great personal statement and rec letters. 99% sure i'll be dinged, but I don't know if I could live with myself not applying.

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm

syr1990 wrote:non-urm and straight out of undergrad. Some pretty strong softs, and I think a great personal statement and rec letters. 99% sure i'll be dinged, but I don't know if I could live with myself not applying.
Then... do so? You're a KJD, so take heed--YOLO DGAF, second semester senior!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Apply, quick! There is a chance. Goodluck my new nemesis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

syr1990

New

Post by syr1990 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
syr1990 wrote:non-urm and straight out of undergrad. Some pretty strong softs, and I think a great personal statement and rec letters. 99% sure i'll be dinged, but I don't know if I could live with myself not applying.
Then... do so? You're a KJD, so take heed--YOLO DGAF, second semester senior!
Very true. Thanks for the encouragement!

syr1990

New

Post by syr1990 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

sinfiery wrote:Apply, quick! There is a chance. Goodluck my new nemesis.
Thank you! And good luck to you as well.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm

On a related note, when these admission deans give you their "direct line," do people actually call them? I can't imagine calling JS and being like "what do you think, on-campus housing or off?"

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Yukos wrote:On a related note, when these admission deans give you their "direct line," do people actually call them? I can't imagine calling JS and being like "what do you think, on-campus housing or off?"
I can't imagine her giving me her direct line...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Yukos wrote:On a related note, when these admission deans give you their "direct line," do people actually call them? I can't imagine calling JS and being like "what do you think, on-campus housing or off?"
She's not the only one who does that. I'm just asking in general do people ever take them up on that offer? I don't think I could think of a question meaningful enough to justify wasting an admission dean's time.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Yukos wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
She's not the only one who does that. I'm just asking in general do people ever take them up on that offer? I don't think I could think of a question meaningful enough to justify wasting an admission dean's time.
i did use the direct line for dean deal at stanford; she was incredibly helpful, and she said she'd get back to me asap on the question for which she didn't have an answer. i don't think the adcomms are kidding if they give you their number. it's their job to market the school after they've admitted you.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

vzapana wrote:
Yukos wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
i did use the direct line for dean deal at stanford; she was incredibly helpful, and she said she'd get back to me asap on the question for which she didn't have an answer. i don't think the adcomms are kidding if they give you their number. it's their job to market the school after they've admitted you.
Has she gotten back to you? And thats a good point, especially at HYS where they want their yields to be as high as possible.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Come on Harvard, do SOMETHING this week. Preferably tomorrow or Thursday when I'm off work and can sit by my computer and refresh...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bellagio

New

Post by bellagio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Come on Harvard, do SOMETHING this week. Preferably tomorrow or Thursday when I'm off work and can sit by my computer and refresh...
It feels like every time my phone buzzes for a new email, I jump. I'm starting to wonder if surviving the admissions process is the first test to becoming a lawyer.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 am

Last edited by NoChainz on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 am

NoChainz wrote:Complete 11/20

I want to send in an updated resume (nominated for an award at work) and a LOCI (Why Harvard)-type statement. Any reason I shouldn't? My numbers are basically auto-reject and I'm assuming my strong softs have kept me in it, but I'd rather be sure I used all of the bullets in my holster if I have to go down.
IMHO, if you would get straight up rejected without an update, this update would not stop it. If you were going to get wait listed, you will have the opportunity to send these docs in. I think the JS would respond better to this kind of update if you do it once you get WLed than while you're waiting. Therefore, I just see the update doing more good if you wait until you get WLed (or JS1ed) to provide the info. Just the opinion of another dude waiting on a JS1 so take it with a block of salt

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 am

Hey guys.

Some of you may have seen some stats-based stuff I have been posting in other forums. I have been working a lot on it, trying to kill time while application decisions trickle in. Most of the stuff I did over the last couple days was based on the last cycle, or the last two cycles. I've started to put together individual school analysis based on ALL the available data on LSN now, so I'll post them to the corresponding school's threads. This would probably have been more useful/interesting for people a few months ago, but what the heck.

This table is based on logistical regression analysis of data from Law School Numbers. It includes all accepted and rejected applicants from the 2003/4 cycle up until the present (2012/2013) cycle. It does not include waitlisted applicants (unless they indicated that they had been ultimately accepted or rejected). Please keep in mind the nature of the data when interpreting these results.

Also, keep in mind that this analysis is based only on the outcomes for the indicated school’s applicant pool compared to each other, and does not necessarily mean that “numbers aren’t important” to any particular school.

Eventually, once I've slogged through everything, I'll compile lists and, where they'd be helpful, charts comparing data across schools. I'm no stats expert, but I picked up some stuff in grad school, and I enjoy it.
Last edited by elterrible78 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 am

And I thought the 860% increase over at YLS for URM was a lot.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 am

elterrible78 wrote:Hey guys.

Some of you may have seen some stats-based stuff I have been posting in other forums. I have been working a lot on it, trying to kill time while application decisions trickle in. Most of the stuff I did over the last couple days was based on the last cycle, or the last two cycles. I've started to put together individual school analysis based on ALL the available data on LSN now, so I'll post them to the corresponding school's threads. This would probably have been more useful/interesting for people a few months ago, but what the heck.

Eventually, once I've slogged through everything, I'll compile lists and, where they'd be helpful, charts comparing data across schools. I'm no stats expert, but I picked up some stuff in grad school, and I enjoy it.
Great stuff el, thanks. Especially useful for next cycle applicants (present, lurking furiously, and wishing everyone the best of luck).

Is that URM% a typo? It looks more like a DBZ power level than a URM bump. Not complaining but just... wow. If you don't mind explaining, how did you come to that % exactly?

ETA: is there anyway to further parse that % by URM type?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:And I thought the 860% increase over at YLS for URM was a lot.
Told you it wasn't that much. Although, to be honest, beyond a certain point, I think it's kind of meaningless. What it really says is "There is a numbers-level below which non-URMs aren't getting in, but URMs can." What it definitely doesn't say is "the average URM is 8.6 or 48.6 or 480.6 times more likely to get in than the average non-URM.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Hey guys.

Great stuff el, thanks. Especially useful for next cycle applicants (present, lurking furiously, and wishing everyone the best of luck).

Is that URM% a typo? It looks more like a DBZ power level than a URM bump. Not complaining but just... wow. If you don't mind explaining, how did you come to that % exactly?

ETA: is there anyway to further parse that % by URM type?
Not a typo, but if you check out my last post, I think that pretty much explains my interpretation of it. Parsing it by URM type would be nearly impossible for a couple reasons. The first is that you'd have to depend on the person indicating in the "other" section of their LSN profile what type of URM (s)he happens to be, and I think we'd end up with so few observations that any analysis would be meaningless. The other, more immediate problem is...I don't want to dig through all those profiles! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”