Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbsg

Bronze

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by bbsg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Late to the party, but submitted today. Hope to join ya'll in the JS1 lounge, at least.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I just would like to state that I hope everyone on this thread with a JS1 converts it into a JS2, and I hope every JS0 gets a JS1 email. SOON. I'm sure there are other wonderful, deserving candidates out there. But I don't have any affiliation with any of them and someone has to be rejected.

barneystinson

New

Post by barneystinson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 pm

What are the chances for those with JS1s? I remember reading 70% somewhere, but does that factor in the fact that they will be interviewing more candidates than in the past this year (JS says this on the blog)?

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:I just would like to state that I hope everyone on this thread with a JS1 converts it into a JS2, and I hope every JS0 gets a JS1 email. SOON. I'm sure there are other wonderful, deserving candidates out there. But I don't have any affiliation with any of them and someone has to be rejected.
Kingsfield, you are one SOB...and a great guy to have around. I hope some of your charm rubs off on us.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 am

Haven't posted here in a while, but I can empathize with the anxiety/uncertainty one faces in the transition period between JS1/JS2.

As for JS1, chillax. It's not an interrogation. I did not prepare much, especially compared to many people posting on this thread, and I think the lack of preparation actually did much to help me. Why? Because the conversation felt natural.

(And honestly, at this point in the process you should all know "Why Harvard" or "Why law.")

Good luck guys! I'll cross my fingers for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 am

Congrats and good luck new JS1!

Does anyone know when the firsts rejections/held emails came out last year?!

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 am

I want a JS1 hmf. :(

Congrats to those who already have them though and to kittonmittens, thank you! If I am lucky enough to leave this wretched land of JS0 I'll be sure to remember your advice

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am

kingsfield69 wrote:I just would like to state that I hope everyone on this thread with a JS1 converts it into a JS2, and I hope every JS0 gets a JS1 email. SOON. I'm sure there are other wonderful, deserving candidates out there. But I don't have any affiliation with any of them and someone has to be rejected.
+1

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:59 am

JedBartlett wrote:Haven't posted here in a while, but I can empathize with the anxiety/uncertainty one faces in the transition period between JS1/JS2.

As for JS1, chillax. It's not an interrogation. I did not prepare much, especially compared to many people posting on this thread, and I think the lack of preparation actually did much to help me. Why? Because the conversation felt natural.

(And honestly, at this point in the process you should all know "Why Harvard" or "Why law.")

Fwiw, I agree about relaxing, but I'm glad I prepped as much as I did. It really depends on the interview - sometimes they go pretty straightforward, but occasionally less so. E.g. I feel like a prepped answer for "What's something about you we wouldn't know from reading your app" is probably going to be stronger than freestyling it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 am

barneystinson wrote:What are the chances for those with JS1s? I remember reading 70% somewhere, but does that factor in the fact that they will be interviewing more candidates than in the past this year (JS says this on the blog)?
Conventional wisdom is that they will interview ~1200 and admit ~850 ... right around a 70% conversion rate.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 am

honeybadger12 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:Haven't posted here in a while, but I can empathize with the anxiety/uncertainty one faces in the transition period between JS1/JS2.

Fwiw, I agree about relaxing, but I'm glad I prepped as much as I did. It really depends on the interview - sometimes they go pretty straightforward, but occasionally less so. E.g. I feel like a prepped answer for "What's something about you we wouldn't know from reading your app" is probably going to be stronger than freestyling it
This. I did what I think Harvard would expect ... I prepared. I was careful, however, not to over-prepare. Didn't want to sound rehearsed, but didn't want to appear stymied by a question either. Personal philsophy: it's not so much a matter of specific prep details, it's about "knowing your stuff" well enough to exude confidence in the interview.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am

kingsfield69 wrote:
This. I did what I think Harvard would expect ... I prepared. I was careful, however, not to over-prepare. Didn't want to sound rehearsed, but didn't want to appear stymied by a question either. Personal philsophy: it's not so much a matter of specific prep details, it's about "knowing your stuff" well enough to exude confidence in the interview.
This is a better way to phrase it, for sure.

Good luck guys!

edgeofthenight

Bronze

Post by edgeofthenight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm

kingsfield69 wrote: This. I did what I think Harvard would expect ... I prepared. I was careful, however, not to over-prepare. Didn't want to sound rehearsed, but didn't want to appear stymied by a question either. Personal philsophy: it's not so much a matter of specific prep details, it's about "knowing your stuff" well enough to exude confidence in the interview.
Also, if you do get stymied by a question, take a second to pause and collect yourself. Don't just start rambling with whatever pops into your head. It apparently didn't hurt me, but it wasn't pretty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

domino

Bronze

Post by domino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

i remember reading a js interview before my js1 where she says something like "just relax and let your personality shine through." at the time i was like "pshaw! BOOTCAMP!" but actually now i believe that advice. just be yourself and i'm sure it will be good :)

fwiw, there were definitely some ups and downs in my js1, but i think the parts that went well worked because i was able to relax and be myself as the conversation moved to things i liked. while did prepare a couple of stories, i didn't really use them in my interview, though i'm glad i thought about them because i felt more comfortable as a result. the prep that i did use was that i have a few side interests and refreshed on a couple specific cases i could talk about.

everyone has things they feel are cool about themselves or their motivations--if i were to do this again, i would think about this more beforehand and keep in mind as i was answering the questions.

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Based on the questions I received, it was my impression that the interview was more to gauge the personality and communication skills of the applicant than to nitpick at the content of their response. I did not prepare as much as I probably should have, but I did not feel thrown by any of the questions. I was surprised that KB asked about a minor (although very unique) portion of my resume. I think she was just curious more than anything else. I tried to keep my answer brief, as it had nothing to do with my decision to attend law school. At the same time, I tried to explain the reason I enjoyed the activity in the context of overall personality traits that are desirable within a law setting.

The whole interview lasted about 15-17 minutes. About half of that time was allocated to her questions before she turned it over to me to ask questions of my own.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't suppose perhaps you were accidentally set as invisible in your status?

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

To Worm:

I really think that this interview process is in such a test run for them that they have had this happen before. As long as you still have your interview, I wouldn't be worried. That still gives you the chance to explain what you think happened for a minute, apologize, and move on. Shit happens, don't worry!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

chill.
errors happen and people are human
you will be fine

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm

I think you're going to be fine man. It was just a technical difficulty, this is the first year they're doing these things, not every interview will run perfectly. Don't sweat it and knock it out next week

haveahat

New

Post by haveahat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Not quoting since that's what you requested, but I think the true best case scenario is that they think its a technical difficulty, not that you can't follow directions. As long as you come across professional in your make-up interview I think you will be completely fine. They are both nice people! The worst thing you can do is stress so much about this that you do worse in your second one.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:To Worm:

I really think that this interview process is in such a test run for them that they have had this happen before. As long as you still have your interview, I wouldn't be worried. That still gives you the chance to explain what you think happened for a minute, apologize, and move on. Shit happens, don't worry!
I think this can even serve as a testament to how well you respond under pressure and in awkward situations. People that might be wound a little too tight probably would've flipped out on the adcomm, or gotten much more flustered, but if you handle it well when you re-schedule the interview, and then move on, I doubt it will affect your outcome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

domino

Bronze

Post by domino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 pm

that sounds like a really shitty couple of hours, but i don't think it's a big deal. it's good they have the email you sent. if you say you're sorry that you had issues connecting at your original time and that you're glad that you are now getting a chance to chat, be confident/smile and move on i think it will be totally okay.

they must encounter so many tech issues--i wouldn't freak out. at the beginning of my interview, i had some skype problems (actually more that i don't know how to use skype) and js joked that a significant part of her job is skype troubleshooting.
Last edited by domino on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Wormfather wrote:This one time, at band camp...
Damn, bro. Somehow I feel like they should add us to their contacts before the actual interview time. Chicago added me, like, exactly the time of my interview. A 5-10 minute "ready when you are" message would avoid this. I don't think they'll hold it against you, though.

OliverTwist

New

Post by OliverTwist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

RSterling wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:Sent in my app mid November. Status checker says the last time they touched my app is to confirm that it's complete two months ago and haven't touched it yet. Safe to say they placed the completed app in the rejection pile not to be touched again?
No one know. The last time that my app was updated was 10/10. My numbers indicate a hold/ding, but Havard did some crazy things last year when applicants were down. You'll know for sure by April, I promise.
When does Harvard reject people? You think it'll take until April to either be accepted or rejected?

poichi

Bronze

Post by poichi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Wormfather wrote:Especially seeing as how we all have our own flaws and mistakes to answer for.
Love how this basically sums up the entire lawl school process. Pretty sure you'll kill it the second time around, you seem like you have a poetic kind of soul.
OliverTwist wrote:When does Harvard reject people? You think it'll take until April to either be accepted or rejected?
Pretty sure I'm in for a LOLNO some time around July, u? ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”