Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wtrc

Gold

Re: Harvard c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by wtrc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Yukos wrote:Super late JS2 as well! I went from being locked out at MVB to getting into H, pretty bizarre and awesome cycle :)
Congrats Yukos and Worm!!!

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Yukos wrote:Super late JS2 as well! I went from being locked out at MVB to getting into H, pretty bizarre and awesome cycle :)
Hell Yeah! Congrats!

And you too, Worm!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm

guys whats the latest complete for JS1 as of now? 1/10?

commence freak out

also INVITATION for js1 is via email right? js1 itself being a skype interview obviously.
Last edited by az21833 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

housebro13

Bronze

Post by housebro13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm

weathercoins wrote:
Congrats Yukos and Worm!!!
+1!!!!!!!!

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

usafgirl wrote:JS1!!! :D

Submitted 12/5
Under review 1/10

3.56/176 non-traditional
Congrats and good luck on the interview! Fly-Fight-Win ... and PM if you have any Qs about the interview. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:

Submitted 12/5
Under review 1/10

3.56/176 non-traditional
Congrats and good luck on the interview! Fly-Fight-Win ... and PM if you have any Qs about the interview. :)
Yes feel free to PM me about the interview now that I can say I "passed" it. Though I had JS so my questions were very specific.

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Wormfather wrote:JS2, at 7:20PM

!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

carboncopyx wrote:

!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Magician

New

Post by Magician » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Worm, you're my hero. <3

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Yukos wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

Submitted 12/5
Under review 1/10

3.56/176 non-traditional
Yes feel free to PM me about the interview now that I can say I "passed" it. Though I had JS so my questions were very specific.
shit dude, stanford AND harvard? hope i can WL at one of these schools and can maybe take your place somewhere :wink:

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Congrats worm and yukos! When did you guys interview? (I'll go search through your posts in the mean time)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

YAYYYYY!!!!!! CONGRATS WORM!!!!!!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

facile princeps wrote:Congrats worm and yukos! When did you guys interview? (I'll go search through your posts in the mean time)
I interviewed 1/10. Twelve day gap so I would definitely recommend not freaking out after your JS1 guys.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Yukos wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Congrats worm and yukos! When did you guys interview? (I'll go search through your posts in the mean time)
I interviewed 1/10. Twelve day gap so I would definitely recommend not freaking out after your JS1 guys.
1/16 for me w/KB
Oh ok. I interviewed on 1/15 with JS. You guys #s are better than mine. So I'm not gonna start freaking out just yet.

scoopinpoop

New

Post by scoopinpoop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 pm

So I don't know if this has been answered already, but is there any way to tell whether the interview will be with JS or KB beforehand?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

scoopinpoop wrote:So I don't know if this has been answered already, but is there any way to tell whether the interview will be with JS or KB beforehand?
At some point in the sequence, you'll schedule the interview with Harvard and they'll send you an appointment to embed in iCal. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see appointment details, including the name of your interviewer.

CAVEAT: many people have been scheduled with JS and interviewed with KB, and vice versa.

LSP12

New

Post by LSP12 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Congrats to all the JS1s and JS2s this evening!

Anyone care to speculate on the tiny group of applicants who went complete in November and are currently JS0s - no rejection and no hold ie survived the last two Fridays but also heard nothing tonight

scoopinpoop

New

Post by scoopinpoop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
scoopinpoop wrote:So I don't know if this has been answered already, but is there any way to tell whether the interview will be with JS or KB beforehand?
At some point in the sequence, you'll schedule the interview with Harvard and they'll send you an appointment to embed in iCal. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see appointment details, including the name of your interviewer.

CAVEAT: many people have been scheduled with JS and interviewed with KB, and vice versa.
Thanks Kingsfield, seems like the right move is to prepare for either kind of interview.

As an aside, watched the paper chase for the first time last night, my parents got it for me for christmas haha

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 pm

LSP12 wrote:Congrats to all the JS1s and JS2s this evening!

Anyone care to speculate on the tiny group of applicants who went complete in November and are currently JS0s - no rejection and no hold ie survived the last two Fridays but also heard nothing tonight
It might not be what you want to hear, but there's nothing to speculate. Just sit tight till you get an email one way or the other. Those who dodged the first hold wave were met with all different outcomes around the time of the 2nd wave. It just means they haven't figured out what to do with you yet, but I'm sure they're working on it and you'll know soon enough. Trying to read their minds is when you drive yourself crazy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

scoopinpoop wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

Thanks Kingsfield, seems like the right move is to prepare for either kind of interview.

As an aside, watched the paper chase for the first time last night, my parents got it for me for christmas haha
Do JS and KB ask a different set of questions? Do you mind elaborating?

scoopinpoop

New

Post by scoopinpoop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm

spyke123 wrote:Do JS and KB ask a different set of questions? Do you mind elaborating?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2175

The last post on that page breaks it down better than I can, but basically it looks like KB asks more "interview-type" questions while JS is more conversational and specific to the applicant.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:Hey all, I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I've sent out the same info to 5 or 6 people already and figured I should put it here and make it available to everyone in the thread. This is a bunch of stuff you should know about JS1s, and a rundown of my interview. Everyone's situation is different and I imagine that few people will have the same questions as me, but maybe just seeing the kind of questions will help.

First, some general information, in case you don't want to read the whole thread:
The interviewers are Jessica Soban (JS) and Karen Buttenbaum (KB).
Based on previous posts, it seems that KB's interviews are very structured and generally involve the same questions almost every single time, with a little variation here and there. Basically all of her questions were posted by Lavitz on page 25 of this thread.

Lavitz wrote:Also just finished my interview but it was with KB--who is pretty awesome herself.

Questions I remember her asking:

"Tell me about your job."

"How have your experiences at that job informed your decision to go to law school?"

"What are you looking forward to at Harvard?"

"Is there a particular area of study you find most attractive?"

"What do you think your greatest challenge would be at Harvard?"

"What accomplishment are you most proud of?"

"What do you envision a successful career for yourself would look like?"

"Is there anything you were hoping I would ask? In other words, is there anything not in your app that you'd like us to know about you?" (I was caught off guard by this, completely blanked out, and then punted the question by saying "nope, it's all in my app." :roll: )

"Do you have any questions for me?" (Asked her like 4 questions)

Interview lasted about 14:30.

JS (who interviewed me) is significantly less structured and tailors her questions to the applicant. Whereas KB asks many general questions, JS asks only a few questions and they are very specific.

Interviews generally run from 13 to 25 minutes, but people with short and long ones have all gotten in, so this is not indicative of success or failure.

In terms of preparation, I would try to prepare a handful of stories (4-6) that can apply to many different questions that both KB and JS might ask. Also, don't feel pressured for time. If you have something to say, then say it, but try not to spend more than a few minutes on each answer.

Here's a summary of how my interview went:

As for what JS asked me (so you can try to figure out what she might ask you):
• Asked about a company I started last year
• Asked me some questions about my diversity statement (Hispanic Egyptian)
• Why law if I'm so well-positioned for business (went to business school, started a company, and have had significant work experience despite still being in UG)
• Why not take time off to get more experience in business
• Do I have any questions

The whole interview was 20 minutes and 35 seconds.

We spent the first 10 minutes discussing the competitors and the business plan of a company I recently started with my brother.

We then spoke for a little while about my diversity statement and whether I identify more with the culture of my Middle Eastern or Latin relatives.

After that, she asked me why I want to go to law school, given that I’m so well-positioned for a career in business.

Finally, she asked why I chose not to take some time off and work more in the business world before coming to law school.

Then she asked if I had any questions for her.

She definitely read through my application before the interview, because she was asking questions that were pretty specific to me. She also had the whole thing planned out from the beginning, and told me from the beginning that we would basically be talking about 4 topics throughout the interview.

All in all, it was actually a fun interview. We laughed a bit and spoke very casually. It was definitely more conversational than interview-ish.

Good luck to all of you, and I hope to see you all (or most) at ASW and in Cambridge next year

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Yukos wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:Hey all, I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I've sent out the same info to 5 or 6 people already and figured I should put it here and make it available to everyone in the thread. This is a bunch of stuff you should know about JS1s, and a rundown of my interview. Everyone's situation is different and I imagine that few people will have the same questions as me, but maybe just seeing the kind of questions will help.

First, some general information, in case you don't want to read the whole thread:
The interviewers are Jessica Soban (JS) and Karen Buttenbaum (KB).
Based on previous posts, it seems that KB's interviews are very structured and generally involve the same questions almost every single time, with a little variation here and there. Basically all of her questions were posted by Lavitz on page 25 of this thread.

Lavitz wrote:Also just finished my interview but it was with KB--who is pretty awesome herself.

Questions I remember her asking:

"Tell me about your job."

"How have your experiences at that job informed your decision to go to law school?"

"What are you looking forward to at Harvard?"

"Is there a particular area of study you find most attractive?"

"What do you think your greatest challenge would be at Harvard?"

"What accomplishment are you most proud of?"

"What do you envision a successful career for yourself would look like?"

"Is there anything you were hoping I would ask? In other words, is there anything not in your app that you'd like us to know about you?" (I was caught off guard by this, completely blanked out, and then punted the question by saying "nope, it's all in my app." :roll: )

"Do you have any questions for me?" (Asked her like 4 questions)

Interview lasted about 14:30.

JS (who interviewed me) is significantly less structured and tailors her questions to the applicant. Whereas KB asks many general questions, JS asks only a few questions and they are very specific.

Interviews generally run from 13 to 25 minutes, but people with short and long ones have all gotten in, so this is not indicative of success or failure.

In terms of preparation, I would try to prepare a handful of stories (4-6) that can apply to many different questions that both KB and JS might ask. Also, don't feel pressured for time. If you have something to say, then say it, but try not to spend more than a few minutes on each answer.

Here's a summary of how my interview went:

As for what JS asked me (so you can try to figure out what she might ask you):
• Asked about a company I started last year
• Asked me some questions about my diversity statement (Hispanic Egyptian)
• Why law if I'm so well-positioned for business (went to business school, started a company, and have had significant work experience despite still being in UG)
• Why not take time off to get more experience in business
• Do I have any questions

The whole interview was 20 minutes and 35 seconds.

We spent the first 10 minutes discussing the competitors and the business plan of a company I recently started with my brother.

We then spoke for a little while about my diversity statement and whether I identify more with the culture of my Middle Eastern or Latin relatives.

After that, she asked me why I want to go to law school, given that I’m so well-positioned for a career in business.

Finally, she asked why I chose not to take some time off and work more in the business world before coming to law school.

Then she asked if I had any questions for her.

She definitely read through my application before the interview, because she was asking questions that were pretty specific to me. She also had the whole thing planned out from the beginning, and told me from the beginning that we would basically be talking about 4 topics throughout the interview.

All in all, it was actually a fun interview. We laughed a bit and spoke very casually. It was definitely more conversational than interview-ish.

Good luck to all of you, and I hope to see you all (or most) at ASW and in Cambridge next year
Thanks so much guys!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”