Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ph5354a

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 am

jcan91 wrote:Status changed to 'holding for future lsat score....' Does this mean my acceptance is riding on December's LSAT? (That will be my second take).

Did you ask them to hold off on reviewing your app for your next LSAT score? I'm signed up for the December test too but they said they would review my application now unless I told them otherwise.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:05 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jcan91 wrote:Status changed to 'holding for future lsat score....' Does this mean my acceptance is riding on December's LSAT? (That will be my second take).

Did you ask them to hold off on reviewing your app for your next LSAT score? I'm signed up for the December test too but they said they would review my application now unless I told them otherwise.

Nope, I didn't say anything to them, which is why I'm wondering whether it really all comes down to this.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Yayy congrats new admits! To those still waiting, do not lose hope!

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:54 pm

does anyone know (based on the past) how the cornell cycle plays out between thanksgiving and new years? for ea applicants, are there "waves" of admissions i.e. a large batch in early december, a large batch just before christmas? not sure what to anticipate from here on out.
can my decision just come so i can have some peace of mind ..

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:04 pm

rakeshow wrote:does anyone know (based on the past) how the cornell cycle plays out between thanksgiving and new years? for ea applicants, are there "waves" of admissions i.e. a large batch in early december, a large batch just before christmas? not sure what to anticipate from here on out.

Judging from the stats on last year's lsn, they release batches of acceptances every 3-4 days starting the second week in December (last year it was 12/8) until 12/19. It doesn't look like anybody who took the October LSAT found out before 12/8, but most found out on 12/19. Due to the Sandy delay, I would guess the largest batch would come out between 12/19 and 12/21 and October test takers will most likely have to wait until then. There was a large batch on 11/29 too, but only for people who submitted in September or early October. Rejections seemed to follow the same pattern.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... r=desc&p=2

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:34 pm

ah, thanks ph. i'll keep my self preoccupied til 12/19 or so then. the drawn out "any day now..?" wait of the october lsat was unbearable, so im trying not to let myself do that for my cornell decision.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:53 pm

rakeshow wrote:ah, thanks ph. i'll keep my self preoccupied til 12/19 or so then. the drawn out "any day now..?" wait of the october lsat was unbearable, so im trying not to let myself do that for my cornell decision.

I hear that. Lord knows how many ulcers I developed as a direct result of the October LSAT score delay. My plan is to keep my mind off of it until the week before Christmas, around 12/17, and then I can start obsessively refreshing my status checker. Good luck!

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

ph5354a wrote:
rakeshow wrote:does anyone know (based on the past) how the cornell cycle plays out between thanksgiving and new years? for ea applicants, are there "waves" of admissions i.e. a large batch in early december, a large batch just before christmas? not sure what to anticipate from here on out.

Judging from the stats on last year's lsn, they release batches of acceptances every 3-4 days starting the second week in December (last year it was 12/8) until 12/19. It doesn't look like anybody who took the October LSAT found out before 12/8, but most found out on 12/19. Due to the Sandy delay, I would guess the largest batch would come out between 12/19 and 12/21 and October test takers will most likely have to wait until then. There was a large batch on 11/29 too, but only for people who submitted in September or early October. Rejections seemed to follow the same pattern.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... r=desc&p=2

This is accurate.

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:
rakeshow wrote:ah, thanks ph. i'll keep my self preoccupied til 12/19 or so then. the drawn out "any day now..?" wait of the october lsat was unbearable, so im trying not to let myself do that for my cornell decision.

I hear that. Lord knows how many ulcers I developed as a direct result of the October LSAT score delay. My plan is to keep my mind off of it until the week before Christmas, around 12/17, and then I can start obsessively refreshing my status checker. Good luck!

werent you going to check out cornells campus this break? how'd that go?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Based on those stats... I can't believe I haven't heard anything. :x

Here's for December!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Yes! I did a campus tour last Tuesday. The building is really nice. It's positioned very close to the Collegetown side of campus, which means its close to a lot of restaurants/Starbucks/bars/other fun things outside of campus. Cornell's campus is massive so I appreciated that you could easily get off campus to do something else from the law school.

The building is under construction, but I didn't see that it really interfered with daily life (only the terrace level is being renovated and expanded) and it should be done by mid-2014, which means we'd have the advantage of having a newly renovated building for our last two years. The expansion is including two new large classrooms, a coffee shop, and a new quad in the center of the building.

The building definitely has that Ivy league feel, lots of stone and brick and fireplaces. There are areas strictly for studying and plenty of areas for socializing, including a lounge with a big screen TV and a really nice atrium. It's definitely a small building, and you can see that the student body has outgrown it, but I felt like that sort of fits with it being a small law school in general since it has a very intimate feel. It's attached to a law student dorm where 1Ls have the option of living. The library is beautiful and looks like something out of Harry Potter -- lots of stained glass windows. It's open to other Cornell students throughout the year, but is only accessible to law students during finals. I also liked that the school had wifi throughout the building (obvs) but disabled it in the classrooms, so professors there allow students to have laptops to take notes and don't have to worry about them surfing the web --seems like a much smarter alternative than just banning laptops in class.

I also learned a little more about Cornell's OCI. They do a job fair early in your second year, combined with NYU and Columbia and other NYC schools, in which students trek down to NYC and do a series of interviews over 3 days. Beforehand, students give Cornell their top 5 firms and they are guaranteed an interview with at least one of them. They said that many students will have up to 12-15 interviews during this trip. Pre-recession, this process was all done on campus, but they found that after the recession, and due to decreased hiring, they had access to many more top firms by going down to NYC and the logistics were much easier to manage. They still do have OCI in the fall, but it's mainly upstate NY firms (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) that come and do on-campus interviews, and it's mostly students who aren't competitive in NYC firms that will participate in these interviews. Sure, it's a pain to go down to New York for this process, but if it gets you access to more firms that otherwise may not come to campus, that seems like a smart idea.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions!

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yes! I did a campus tour last Tuesday. The building is really nice. It's positioned very close to the Collegetown side of campus, which means its close to a lot of restaurants/Starbucks/bars/other fun things outside of campus. Cornell's campus is massive so I appreciated that you could easily get off campus to do something else from the law school.

The building is under construction, but I didn't see that it really interfered with daily life (only the terrace level is being renovated and expanded) and it should be done by mid-2014, which means we'd have the advantage of having a newly renovated building for our last two years. The expansion is including two new large classrooms, a coffee shop, and a new quad in the center of the building.

The building definitely has that Ivy league feel, lots of stone and brick and fireplaces. There are areas strictly for studying and plenty of areas for socializing, including a lounge with a big screen TV and a really nice atrium. It's definitely a small building, and you can see that the student body has outgrown it, but I felt like that sort of fits with it being a small law school in general since it has a very intimate feel. It's attached to a law student dorm where 1Ls have the option of living. The library is beautiful and looks like something out of Harry Potter -- lots of stained glass windows. It's open to other Cornell students throughout the year, but is only accessible to law students during finals. I also liked that the school had wifi throughout the building (obvs) but disabled it in the classrooms, so professors there allow students to have laptops to take notes and don't have to worry about them surfing the web --seems like a much smarter alternative than just banning laptops in class.

I also learned a little more about Cornell's OCI. They do a job fair early in your second year, combined with NYU and Columbia and other NYC schools, in which students trek down to NYC and do a series of interviews over 3 days. Beforehand, students give Cornell their top 5 firms and they are guaranteed an interview with at least one of them. They said that many students will have up to 12-15 interviews during this trip. Pre-recession, this process was all done on campus, but they found that after the recession, and due to decreased hiring, they had access to many more top firms by going down to NYC and the logistics were much easier to manage. They still do have OCI in the fall, but it's mainly upstate NY firms (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) that come and do on-campus interviews, and it's mostly students who aren't competitive in NYC firms that will participate in these interviews. Sure, it's a pain to go down to New York for this process, but if it gets you access to more firms that otherwise may not come to campus, that seems like a smart idea.

Is that housing definitely still happening even with the expansion of the classrooms? I visited in August, and the people working there were less than optimistic that they would still be there after the construction was done. Thanks for the info!

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yes! I did a campus tour last Tuesday. The building is really nice. It's positioned very close to the Collegetown side of campus, which means its close to a lot of restaurants/Starbucks/bars/other fun things outside of campus. Cornell's campus is massive so I appreciated that you could easily get off campus to do something else from the law school.

Wow this was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Is that housing definitely still happening even with the expansion of the classrooms? I visited in August, and the people working there were less than optimistic that they would still be there after the construction was done. Thanks for the info!

Interesting...I didn't hear anything about that, but our tour guide did say there's another phase of construction planned after the first phase is complete, but that won't start until after our year is finished in 2016. She also mentioned that they had been cutting down on student housing to convert more space into offices for student groups and law reviews, etc. so maybe that's playing a role too. I feel like student housing for law schools is rare as it is, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's getting eliminated given their space issue.

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am

Just got off the phone with Cornell. For those wondering, they won't start reviewing RD applicants until they finish with EA apps. This is why it is taking so long for them to update checkers for RD applicants to complete.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 am

Had my second update this morning, y'all!

11/8 Complete
11/20 Update
11/26 Update

Decision soon??? How many updates do ppl usually have before they hear back? (sorry for the n00by question)

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 am

aiaea wrote:Had my second update this morning, y'all!

11/8 Complete
11/20 Update
11/26 Update

Decision soon??? How many updates do ppl usually have before they hear back? (sorry for the n00by question)

oh now I'm all worried because I only have one update and I went complete before you

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
aiaea wrote:Had my second update this morning, y'all!

11/8 Complete
11/20 Update
11/26 Update

oh now I'm all worried because I only have one update and I went complete before you

... Or it could be that I'm on the fast track to a ding/ WL :D

Seriously though, any guesses when I'll hear?

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am

aiaea wrote:Seriously though, any guesses when I'll hear?

Based on last year, probably the week before Christmas. It seems like everyone with your complete date heard back on December 19th.
ETA: see http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... er=asc&p=5

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:12 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Based on last year, probably the week before Christmas. It seems like everyone with your complete date heard back on December 19th.

Ugh lame. Was hoping the quick change from update to update meant I'll be hearing soon, but guess not :(

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

aiaea wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Based on last year, probably the week before Christmas. It seems like everyone with your complete date heard back on December 19th.

Ugh lame. Was hoping the quick change from update to update meant I'll be hearing soon, but guess not :(

I dunno, they might have a different timeline this year. One user, who submitted a day before you did, was kind enough to provide the dates of their status checker updates in their profile, and this is what they were:

11/7/11 (original complete), 12/12/11, 12/16/11, 12/19/11 (accepted this day)

So it was a week between their first update and acceptance. So who knows.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
aiaea wrote:

I dunno, they might have a different timeline this year. One user, who submitted a day before you did, was kind enough to provide the dates of their status checker updates in their profile, and this is what they were:

11/7/11 (original complete), 12/12/11, 12/16/11, 12/19/11 (accepted this day)

So it was a week between their first update and acceptance. So who knows.

Yeah, dunno. That may have been a special case since that person went under review so close to when Cornell was expected to release EA decisions. Regardless, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a decision next week or early the week after. Thanks!

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Last year's timeline should be taken with a huge grain of salt, though, because they extended the EA deadline this year.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Have they ever lost somebody's file??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”