Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lavitz

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 pm

kaf5250 wrote:What did you guys write for your 3-sentence why cornell part of the application? Just three succinct sentences about what you like most about Cornell? Did anyone also add a Why Cornell addendum? or do they not want that since they are asking about it in the application?

I just wrote 3 sentences about location, size, culture, etc. If you have stronger points on which you'd like to expand, I imagine they would be fine accepting a why Cornell addendum.
kaf5250 wrote:Also for the question that asks who influenced our decision to apply, do they only want people we know in person who are alumni, etc. or did anyone write about a faculty member they want to learn from?

I mentioned a faculty member I'd like to learn from, and made it explicitly clear that I did not yet know him personally; they didn't seem to hold it against me.

venus

Postby venus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 pm

kaf5250 wrote:What did you guys write for your 3-sentence why cornell part of the application? Just three succinct sentences about what you like most about Cornell? Did anyone also add a Why Cornell addendum? or do they not want that since they are asking about it in the application?

Also for the question that asks who influenced our decision to apply, do they only want people we know in person who are alumni, etc. or did anyone write about a faculty member they want to learn from?

I didn't attach a longer "Why Cornell" addendum because they chose to have that 3-sentence question and not to list it as an optional essay as some other schools did. In my short answer, I explained what attracts me to Cornell academically, including mentioning one of their clinics. But if Cornell is your absolute top choice and you have something specific to say about your reasons to apply there, then I don't think it will hurt you to attach a longer essay.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I wrote 3 succinct sentences which were along the lines of what Lavitz wrote, no "Why Cornell" addendum. I doubt they want it considering they have the "Why Cornell" three sentence section. I recall one eager beaver needing their "Why Cornell" addendum read by the TLS community the night before the app was opened but I think the consensus was that it was unnecessary.

For influenced I listed some alums of the university I know (btw all of them actually said don't go to Cornell because the weather sucks and the students are overly competitive and miserable).

I wouldn't waste too much time or thought on these sections, just make sure you have something to say for both.

venus

Postby venus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I only listed my pre-law adviser under people who influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. And I clicked on "this section does not apply to me" on the next question about alumni, since I don't know any. I really don't think they care much about those two questions. Try to have a decent answer to the why Cornell question though. And, btw, I got accepted, so that probably means that not knowing people at Cornell doesn't hurt your chances.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 am

In the three sentence "Why Cornell" section I wrote something to the effect of "Please consider attached Addenda on my directed interest in applying to Cornell Law" and then attached my Why Cornell essay.

I am also a splitter at/above LSAT median and well well well below gpa median if this helps any.

ameliawhaley

Postby ameliawhaley » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 am

venus wrote:

Also for the question that asks who influenced our decision to apply, do they only want people we know in person who are alumni, etc. or did anyone write about a faculty member they want to learn from?

I didn't attach a longer "Why Cornell" addendum because they chose to have that 3-sentence question and not to list it as an optional essay as some other schools did. In my short answer, I explained what attracts me to Cornell academically, including mentioning one of their clinics. But if Cornell is your absolute top choice and you have something specific to say about your reasons to apply there, then I don't think it will hurt you to attach a longer essay.

I wrote more than three sentences, though I kept it under the 1000 characters that they asked. Do you think I should make it into an addendum, as it is over three sentences, or should I just leave it there, since it is under 1000 characters?

VasaVasori

Post removed.

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am

Post removed.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Follow the instructions. They clearly say two to three sentences. Attaching an addendum for a question that they clearly want to limit the length of your response on is silly. Why would they limit you to three sentences if they wanted more than three sentences? If I were on admission committee, I would auto deny anyone who put more than three sentences.

Oh, and on the Chicago app, don't forget to put your PERSONAL email, not your SCHOOL email.

Just follow the damn instructions.

I have some Hurricane Sandy LSAC-closure frustration going on up in here.

You don't have to be a complete dick about my decision. Keep your opinions to yourself.

But thanks for your input, maybe you should call up the admissions office and tell them how you feel.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 pm

From Cornell's Twitter:
Due to the inclement weather, Early Action deadline extended to Monday, Nov. 5th. Email jdadmissions@cornell.edu for more information....

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Paraflam wrote:From Cornell's Twitter:
Due to the inclement weather, Early Action deadline extended to Monday, Nov. 5th. Email jdadmissions@cornell.edu for more information....

NICE! I may make it in under the fence, LSAC willing.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Paraflam wrote:From Cornell's Twitter:

NICE! I may make it in under the fence, LSAC willing.

Might be hit/miss with that Sunny, from what I hear LSAC is postponing the LSAT release date which may also mean applications as well, even though you're probably good if they're electronic.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread so far but you guys should know that there is really pretty heavy construction going on at the law school. They did not tell my class anything about this project that is going to last 2 of the 3 years that I am here. I came up here for pretty personal reasons and probably would have ended up here if I knew about the construction anyways.

But for those of you who are considering peers schools, I would definitely pin down when this stuff will be over and why they are doing it. I thought I was going to law school in an idyllic aesthetically pleasing location (well for at least a few weeks a year before the snow) unfortunately that wasn't the case.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

How big of an annoyance is the construction? Any noise issues affecting your classes?

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

guinness1547 wrote:How big of an annoyance is the construction? Any noise issues affecting your classes?

Not for me, personally. Haven't really heard anyone else complain about it either. Also, for future 1Ls in this thread, you'll only have construction for one year.

The bigger annoyance for me is the suicide net construction over the bridge. It's pointless, plus it made me late to class today.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:How big of an annoyance is the construction? Any noise issues affecting your classes?

Not for me, personally. Haven't really heard anyone else complain about it either. Also, for future 1Ls in this thread, you'll only have construction for one year.

The bigger annoyance for me is the suicide net construction over the bridge. It's pointless, plus it made me late to class today.

:lol: :lol:

spiritniffler189

Postby spiritniffler189 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 am

It depends on the location of your classroom. In one classroom, you'll notice the screen swaying a little bit while your prof uses powerpoint - so no big deal. But in one of my classes last week, it was worse than that. Prof got annoyed (but of course it didn't stop him from lecturing). Hard to focus, but at the end of the day...you have to focus so you block it out (or space out).

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am

Anyone start working on the Dean's Scholarship essay yet?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:Anyone start working on the Dean's Scholarship essay yet?

Yeah, got mine pretty much done. You?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:17 am

elterrible78 wrote:

Working on outlining for the last week and finally getting a draft done. I have a few stats that I'm not sure how to cite though. Are you citing anything either in-text or in footnotes?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Working on outlining for the last week and finally getting a draft done. I have a few stats that I'm not sure how to cite though. Are you citing anything either in-text or in footnotes?

Not at all. I just figured it's 500 words and they're not looking for any hard-core, numbers-based analytical thinking. I could be way wrong, though.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 am

elterrible78 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Not at all. I just figured it's 500 words and they're not looking for any hard-core, numbers-based analytical thinking. I could be way wrong, though.

I thought that too...I might have to go back and take another look at how I use them

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:I thought that too...I might have to go back and take another look at how I use them

With just 500 words, I figured they are just looking for wit-and-wisdom time advice. It might be a good idea to throw a stat or two in there.

I was going to end the essay by saying, "But if you're planning to go to law school, disregard everything I just said. Major in something easy, the GPA will pay off later." My wife thought it was too risky, though. Guess I did, too.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 am

elterrible78 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:I thought that too...I might have to go back and take another look at how I use them

With just 500 words, I figured they are just looking for wit-and-wisdom time advice. It might be a good idea to throw a stat or two in there.

I was going to end the essay by saying, "But if you're planning to go to law school, disregard everything I just said. Major in something easy, the GPA will pay off later." My wife thought it was too risky, though. Guess I did, too.

Haha that would be such an epic close. Any idea on whether they will give decisions/awards before February/March?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Haha that would be such an epic close. Any idea on whether they will give decisions/awards before February/March?

Your guess is as good as mine, man. My general impression is that the earlier we get them in, the earlier we'll get our decisions. They only specifically said that they'll let us know well in advance of deposit deadlines, but just because of the nature of the admissions process, I doubt they're going to wait until they all come in and make decisions. Again, though, I'm a 0L just like you, so hell if I know. What do you think?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”