Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CTT
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CTT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 am

BigZuck wrote:Cornell b/c employment stats are significantly better and it's cheaper. Those are the two primary concerns, everything else is way down the list.


The thing is, it's not cheaper by much. There's about an $8,000 diff in COA to begin with. My read on the employment statistics is that Michigan has more students interested in doing government or public interest work, or working in a smaller market closer to home. It's not surprising that more of your students end up at 500+ firms when most of your grads are going to NYC. The thing I got from visiting was that at Michigan a lot of the students (especially the female students) really wanted to do public interest work, and the school supports that. Cornell gave off the vibe that it was all BigLaw BigLaw BigLaw. Thus, I actually find it encouraging that the employment stats align with that perception. I thought the Michigan students seemed a little more laid back and social, which would a) make it easier to succeed if BigLaw is what you wanted and b) make three years of law school less miserable.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

CTT wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Cornell b/c employment stats are significantly better and it's cheaper. Those are the two primary concerns, everything else is way down the list.


The thing is, it's not cheaper by much. There's about an $8,000 diff in COA to begin with. My read on the employment statistics is that Michigan has more students interested in doing government or public interest work, or working in a smaller market closer to home. It's not surprising that more of your students end up at 500+ firms when most of your grads are going to NYC. The thing I got from visiting was that at Michigan a lot of the students (especially the female students) really wanted to do public interest work, and the school supports that. Cornell gave off the vibe that it was all BigLaw BigLaw BigLaw. Thus, I actually find it encouraging that the employment stats align with that perception. I thought the Michigan students seemed a little more laid back and social, which would a) make it easier to succeed if BigLaw is what you wanted and b) make three years of law school less miserable.


I don't buy this. Cornell puts 13.7 into PI, Michigan puts 16. Not a huge difference. There is a huge difference in big law and federal clerkships. Also self selection is impossible to quantify so I would rather stick to numbers that are tangible.

But if you want Michigan just do Michigan. YOLO.

Also I don't have a law school broham.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am

I thought the Michigan students seemed a little more laid back and social, which would a) make it easier to succeed if BigLaw is what you wanted and b) make three years of law school less miserable.


Clearly your interest in Michigan is personal preference and quality of life. (Nothing wrong with that.)

But then no one here can add any value to your personal deliberations.

btw: Michigan is no more "national" than Cornell.

CTT
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CTT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
CTT wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Cornell b/c employment stats are significantly better and it's cheaper. Those are the two primary concerns, everything else is way down the list.


The thing is, it's not cheaper by much. There's about an $8,000 diff in COA to begin with. My read on the employment statistics is that Michigan has more students interested in doing government or public interest work, or working in a smaller market closer to home. It's not surprising that more of your students end up at 500+ firms when most of your grads are going to NYC. The thing I got from visiting was that at Michigan a lot of the students (especially the female students) really wanted to do public interest work, and the school supports that. Cornell gave off the vibe that it was all BigLaw BigLaw BigLaw. Thus, I actually find it encouraging that the employment stats align with that perception. I thought the Michigan students seemed a little more laid back and social, which would a) make it easier to succeed if BigLaw is what you wanted and b) make three years of law school less miserable.


I don't buy this. Cornell puts 13.7 into PI, Michigan puts 16. Not a huge difference. There is a huge difference in big law and federal clerkships. Also self selection is impossible to quantify so I would rather stick to numbers that are tangible.

But if you want Michigan just do Michigan. YOLO.

Also I don't have a law school broham.


Right, and I wouldn't call the federal clerkship thing huge. It leans Michigan's way by a couple percentage points.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

CTT wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
CTT wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Cornell b/c employment stats are significantly better and it's cheaper. Those are the two primary concerns, everything else is way down the list.


The thing is, it's not cheaper by much. There's about an $8,000 diff in COA to begin with. My read on the employment statistics is that Michigan has more students interested in doing government or public interest work, or working in a smaller market closer to home. It's not surprising that more of your students end up at 500+ firms when most of your grads are going to NYC. The thing I got from visiting was that at Michigan a lot of the students (especially the female students) really wanted to do public interest work, and the school supports that. Cornell gave off the vibe that it was all BigLaw BigLaw BigLaw. Thus, I actually find it encouraging that the employment stats align with that perception. I thought the Michigan students seemed a little more laid back and social, which would a) make it easier to succeed if BigLaw is what you wanted and b) make three years of law school less miserable.


I don't buy this. Cornell puts 13.7 into PI, Michigan puts 16. Not a huge difference. There is a huge difference in big law and federal clerkships. Also self selection is impossible to quantify so I would rather stick to numbers that are tangible.

But if you want Michigan just do Michigan. YOLO.

Also I don't have a law school broham.


Right, and I wouldn't call the federal clerkship thing huge. It leans Michigan's way by a couple percentage points.


Combined broseph. There is a big gap between the two schools when it comes to high end employment outcomes this most recent year.

Just do Mich. YOLO.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DaRascal » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Dude, go to Michigan! It's MVPB for a reason. :P

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jvincent11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 pm

DaRascal wrote:Dude, go to Michigan! It's MVPB for a reason. :P


MVPB is a made up thing on TLS. Go wherever you will be happier.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

When is the deposit deadline for Cornell? I'm trying to time my letter from the reserve list :/

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 pm

LRGhost wrote:When is the deposit deadline for Cornell? I'm trying to time my letter from the reserve list :/


April 26.


As far as Cornell vs Michigan, I think there is no denying that Cornell is very biglaw centric. Current students on here have confirmed it although that's not to say that you can't do PI coming out of Cornell. Personally, I also got a stronger PI-vibe from Michigan which is why going to ride out that waitlist and would pick it over Cornell unless Cornell was significantly cheaper.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm

for the need access form.. does that include my parents income? is it "stingy" aka for people who really need? i'm asking bc i usually don't qualify for need aid. should i fill that out anyways? (here I am being stingy over 28 bucks.. :/)

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yodamiked » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Finally went complete! Just over 8 weeks....yikes!

User avatar
abadname13
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby abadname13 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Ditto, FINALLY!

yodamiked wrote:Finally went complete! Just over 8 weeks....yikes!

User avatar
nsideirish
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nsideirish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Submitted my Cornell fin aid form, FAFSA and NeedAccess. Is that all I need? How long after submitting everything will I get my offer?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:09 pm

If I was accepted mid-March but haven't heard anything since then (I submitted my scholarship application the same week), would I come off as impatient if I asked Cornell whether or not I've been considered for a merit- or need-based scholarship? Anyone think that's a good idea?

My gut is telling me "no," but maybe somebody here has had success with this approach. Deadlines loom.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:
LRGhost wrote:When is the deposit deadline for Cornell? I'm trying to time my letter from the reserve list :/

April 26.


Does anyone think it's better to send off a LOCI type thing around/just after that date or is tomorrow just as fine?

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:If I was accepted mid-March but haven't heard anything since then (I submitted my scholarship application the same week), would I come off as impatient if I asked Cornell whether or not I've been considered for a merit- or need-based scholarship? Anyone think that's a good idea?

My gut is telling me "no," but maybe somebody here has had success with this approach. Deadlines loom.

You can email / call saying that you have XYZ offers pending at other institutions and, while Cornell remains a top choice, you want to know your aid before declining other schools.

10/10 would tell you.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:
LRGhost wrote:When is the deposit deadline for Cornell? I'm trying to time my letter from the reserve list :/

April 26.


Does anyone think it's better to send off a LOCI type thing around/just after that date or is tomorrow just as fine?

Doubtful there is any sort of data on this..

User avatar
ObviousAlias
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ObviousAlias » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm

I also went complete today. Took 'em long enough.

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:If I was accepted mid-March but haven't heard anything since then (I submitted my scholarship application the same week), would I come off as impatient if I asked Cornell whether or not I've been considered for a merit- or need-based scholarship? Anyone think that's a good idea?

My gut is telling me "no," but maybe somebody here has had success with this approach. Deadlines loom.


Not at all. You have deadlines and you obviously want to take everything into account before making a decision on those schools. Just inquire politely.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm

$$$$ I love Cornell etc etc
Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

That's amazing, twinkle!! Cornell's generous merit aid strikes again.

#firstworldproblems
Last edited by ph5354a on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Holy shit guys.


holy hell congrats!
Last edited by helix23 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Holy shit guys. $150k from Cornell. WHAT DO I DO NOW.


Absolutely visiting now. Jesus. I thought 120k would be my max.


At this point you can never again question anything I say or predict.

Oh , and congrats :)

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CaptainLeela » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm sorry to ask a question I'm 100% certain is answered in here, but I've been through 30 pages and can't find it...

Do we need to submit need aid to eligible for merit scholarship consideration at Cornell? Thanks all!

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Holy shit guys. $150k from Cornell. WHAT DO I DO NOW.


Absolutely visiting now. Jesus. I thought 120k would be my max.


Congrats twinkles, that's huge!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nathjf, whodareswins and 5 guests