Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nala7892
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Nala7892 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

LLLPLLL wrote:Dean's Scholarship yesterday +1 and Cornell's one of my top choices. But since I'm waitlisted at few other schools and its unlikely that they'll make a decision by April 1st... I'll prolly need to ask for an extension of deadline to accept the scholarship offer... if Cornell ever gives extension... Has anyone requested extension before?


I called yesterday about giving me an extension on the Dean's Scholarship acceptance deadline because I can't visit till a few days after April 1... the woman in the office was really nice but didn't know the answer (even though apparently people asked about that last year) so she gave me the email address of someone else, and now I'm waiting for her response! I will post what she says when she replies!

User avatar
bookside
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bookside » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm

How does Cornell notify of Dean's scholarship? And does it come with acceptance, or after?

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Hmm. That is odd as I just checked my call logs and I called on the 19th.... Regardless I was planning on calling tomorrow to see what's going on.


Why call again? Do you really think that they have nothing better to do than answer calls from anxious 0L's?


My call was to see if there was any update on my application if that wasn't clear. Cornell is one of my top choices and for application to not yet be complete after being received by the school over a month ago is a concern to me, especially since when I first spoke the admissions council I was told to look out for the email regarding this to come early this week which it hasn't. I would hope that the admissions council is aware of how stressful this process could be for some students and would be more than happy to give them non-decision related updates.

I did in fact call and they informed me that they are currently up to 1/20.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

My call was to see if there was any update on my application if that wasn't clear.


Yes it was perfectly clear.

I would hope that the admissions council is aware of how stressful this process could be for some students and would be more than happy to give them non-decision related updates.


Law school and looking for a job will be much, more stressful. :)

jsjd1989
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jsjd1989 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

wbrother wrote:So cornell's acceptance package is a big red book?! How could I not have known about something this awesome until know?


what!? I didn't get that!!? I got a book about living in Ithaca....

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:13 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:
wbrother wrote:So cornell's acceptance package is a big red book?! How could I not have known about something this awesome until know?


what!? I didn't get that!!? I got a book about living in Ithaca....


Red book comes a little while later! Two weeks for me I think. And yes, it's beautiful.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JXander » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 pm

They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 pm

JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?

They're not exactly known for being speedy, and apparently LSAC is all kinds of screwy right now. I'd call them by tomorrow just to make sure, but be prepared for the "LSAC has been down" excuse.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JXander » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?

They're not exactly known for being speedy, and apparently LSAC is all kinds of screwy right now. I'd call them by tomorrow just to make sure, but be prepared for the "LSAC has been down" excuse.

Thanks!

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4901
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:42 pm

JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?


+1 I thought upthread something about Cornell being up to 1/10 or 1/15 being verified was mentioned?

Regardless, it's definitely an unsettling thing to see on the status checker after so long....

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:45 pm

As of Sunday I'll be complete for two months! I have a feeling I'm going to be shithoused at the local St. Patrick's Day parade when I get the bad news.

To clarify, the local parade is always earlier than the actual holiday.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JXander » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?


+1 I thought upthread something about Cornell being up to 1/10 or 1/15 being verified was mentioned?

Rlabo wrote:I did in fact call and they informed me that they are currently up to 1/20.

Ah. How helpful.

Seriously, though. I recently had a background check done for a job at my state capitol that took nowhere close to the length of this verification process. You know something's up when the government's pace is quicker than Cornell's. :?

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 pm

JXander wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?


+1 I thought upthread something about Cornell being up to 1/10 or 1/15 being verified was mentioned?

Rlabo wrote:I did in fact call and they informed me that they are currently up to 1/20.

Ah. How helpful.

Seriously, though. I recently had a background check done for a job at my state capitol that took nowhere close to the length of this verification process. You know something's up when the government's pace is quicker than Cornell's. :?


I hear you. As I've already received decisions from other top schools this did strike me as strange as well. They said they manually verify each individual application which is why they take so long. Hang tight and we should hopefully be verified soon.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4901
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm

JXander wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
JXander wrote:They've been "verifying" since 1/24. Should I contact them or something? I know I submitted late, but is 5+ weeks exceptionally abnormal before receiving...anything?


+1 I thought upthread something about Cornell being up to 1/10 or 1/15 being verified was mentioned?

Rlabo wrote:I did in fact call and they informed me that they are currently up to 1/20.

Ah. How helpful.

Seriously, though. I recently had a background check done for a job at my state capitol that took nowhere close to the length of this verification process. You know something's up when the government's pace is quicker than Cornell's. :?


I hear you! It's been a weird cycle. I got my fastest response in 13 days (!!!) and then other apps seem to be moving at a glacial pace.

shawn11h
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shawn11h » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:13 pm

They received my application on 1/21 and it just went complete 2/26.

shawn11h
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shawn11h » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Also, I checked my status checker everyday this week and there was no change until this morning. I also received the email that my app went complete this morning, however, status checker says it went complete 2/26. Maybe your apps have gone complete as well and there is a delay because of issues with LSAC or something.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Cornell seems like a great deal for so many. easier to get in than other T-14s and yet better or equal employment to many and small class sizes.

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:13 pm

zman wrote:Cornell seems like a great deal for so many. easier to get in than other T-14s and yet better or equal employment to many and small class sizes.


1+ Like I said, top choice

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 pm

zman wrote:Cornell seems like a great deal for so many. easier to get in than other T-14s and yet better or equal employment to many and small class sizes.


+1. I'm looking at going there seriously also.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 pm

UCR2 today...

Anyone else? Any time line here?

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby HankBashir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

LRGhost wrote:UCR2 today...

Anyone else? Any time line here?

Had my first date change since going complete today. I submitted 1/3, went complete 2/1.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 pm

HankBashir wrote:
LRGhost wrote:UCR2 today...

Anyone else? Any time line here?

Had my first date change since going complete today. I submitted 1/3, went complete 2/1.


I think we have similar dates but 99% sure I went UR1 on 2/5.

LLLPLLL
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LLLPLLL » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 pm

curious66 wrote:Congrats on the scholly. I would take it and go to Cornell and enjoy!!!. The schools where you are WL are probably not going to give you any money. Cornell places well in NYC too, so just be happy and debt free!!


Yeah I absolutely love Cornell and it is one of my two top choices. But tbh, I'd probably choose the other "top choice" over Cornell with or without $$ if got in... but thanks so much for the reply!!!

Lavitz wrote:But LLLPLLL, read it again. It says you're certifying that you've withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted. You don't have to withdraw from any waitlists if you don't want to.


I could be wrong, but I think they're simply asking us to withdraw from ALL the schools to which we applied? So that they'll know by April 1st whether to take back the $$ and give it to someone who's more likely to attend?

LLLPLLL
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LLLPLLL » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Nala7892 wrote:
LLLPLLL wrote:Dean's Scholarship yesterday +1 and Cornell's one of my top choices. But since I'm waitlisted at few other schools and its unlikely that they'll make a decision by April 1st... I'll prolly need to ask for an extension of deadline to accept the scholarship offer... if Cornell ever gives extension... Has anyone requested extension before?


I called yesterday about giving me an extension on the Dean's Scholarship acceptance deadline because I can't visit till a few days after April 1... the woman in the office was really nice but didn't know the answer (even though apparently people asked about that last year) so she gave me the email address of someone else, and now I'm waiting for her response! I will post what she says when she replies!


OMG! Thanks so much for sharing this!! Hopefully we both can get an extension :D

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 am

LLLPLLL wrote:
Lavitz wrote:But LLLPLLL, read it again. It says you're certifying that you've withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted. You don't have to withdraw from any waitlists if you don't want to.


I could be wrong, but I think they're simply asking us to withdraw from ALL the schools to which we applied? So that they'll know by April 1st whether to take back the $$ and give it to someone who's more likely to attend?

I'm 100% sure about this. The language is very clear (unless yours says something different lol). In fact, if they did ask you to withdraw from all schools, they'd be in conflict with LSAC's own rules. You can read Yale Admissions Dean Asha's take on it here. Of course, you can always call and ask Cornell about it if you're not sure.

I have no intention of withdrawing from Chicago's (or anyone else's) waitlist, although I will be sure to withdraw from all schools to which I've been admitted.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: henryyou, zeglo and 5 guests