Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ninetails

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ninetails » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
fallingup wrote:I submitted 1/8 and I'm still not complete. I agree, this has made me lose interest in Cornell. I will probably withdraw by the end of the month.

Is this a troll ? How many other schools have you heard from with a 1/8 submission ?

They said complete, not a decision.

I've already heard from Cornell, but as an observation, I think their ridiculously long complete time, and the fact that they deferred a lot of qualified EA candidates that they ended up accepting in January, isn't doing anything good for their yield rate. They've been making an already frustrating process more frustrating than necessary.

Agreed...I really just want to withdraw my app at this point.

That's their YP scheme

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 pm

LRGhost wrote:
fallingup wrote:Yes, I was referring to my application going complete, NOT receiving a decision. I am not sure why my interest or lack of interest in Cornell bothers you. If you want to go there, you should be happy that I am considering withdrawing. I am entitled to look for different things in a school than you. You may view a school's interest in you as an applicant as an irrelevant factor in your decision, but I don't. Cornell isn't that good of a school (FOR ME PERSONALLY based on where I want to practice and what I want to study) that I would consider going there with absolutely no wooing/marketing or money.

Then withdraw. It's a long process. But it's petulant and childish to think that another school which sends you complete in a week but makes you wait two months for a decision is showing 'interest' in you. You'll be complete this week, probably. But you won't get money until you're in anyway.

I think we all know and agree that its a long process. Some of us feel Cornell makes its additionally painful and have expressed that on this thread. Its not personally directed at anyone and if you don't agree, you should just ignore us. Its a testy time for all of us, lets cut each other some slack.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
fallingup wrote:Yes, I was referring to my application going complete, NOT receiving a decision. I am not sure why my interest or lack of interest in Cornell bothers you. If you want to go there, you should be happy that I am considering withdrawing. I am entitled to look for different things in a school than you. You may view a school's interest in you as an applicant as an irrelevant factor in your decision, but I don't. Cornell isn't that good of a school (FOR ME PERSONALLY based on where I want to practice and what I want to study) that I would consider going there with absolutely no wooing/marketing or money.

Then withdraw. It's a long process. But it's petulant and childish to think that another school which sends you complete in a week but makes you wait two months for a decision is showing 'interest' in you. You'll be complete this week, probably. But you won't get money until you're in anyway.

I think we all know and agree that its a long process. Some of us feel Cornell makes its additionally painful and have expressed that on this thread. Its not personally directed at anyone and if you don't agree, you should just ignore us. Its a testy time for all of us, lets cut each other some slack.

I think you're cute but you're justifying whiny first world bitching because some schools, inundated with applications in an unpredictable time, are taking too long to pick you, a special snowflake, from the piles of said applications...

Meh whatever sorry if I'm being harsh.

hhockberger

Postby hhockberger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Last edited by hhockberger on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm

hhockberger wrote:This entire website is first world bitching. Never forget that.

Half of this site is. The other half is people calling out the people bitching in the other half.

Welcome to TLS.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

toothbrush wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

I think you're cute but you're justifying whiny first world bitching because some schools, inundated with applications in an unpredictable time, are taking too long to pick you, a special snowflake, from the piles of said applications...

Meh whatever sorry if I'm being harsh.

Incorrect.

a) I am not complaining about 'some schools'...only one.
b) I do not care if Cornell 'picks' me as a winner....I care about getting an indication one way or the other.
c) Its not whining, its more of a commentary of my loss of interest in a school I cared about and no longer do given their pace in comparison to every other school I have applied to.

And, I am now done with this discussion for good.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Just take a deep breath and join us over here in the circle of lost hopes and dreams...

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm

hhockberger wrote:This entire website is first world bitching. Never forget that.

And it's fucking bullshit. Everyone knows what they're getting in to. There's a difference between commiserating and saying "Man, shit sucks that it takes so long" and saying "Well, they obviously don't care about me so I'm going to withdraw my application." If you have that luxury, cool, but you clearly didn't want to go the school in the first place.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm

toothbrush wrote:
fallingup wrote:
Yes, I was referring to my application going complete, NOT receiving a decision. I am not sure why my interest or lack of interest in Cornell bothers you. If you want to go there, you should be happy that I am considering withdrawing. I am entitled to look for different things in a school than you. You may view a school's interest in you as an applicant as an irrelevant factor in your decision, but I don't. Cornell isn't that good of a school (FOR ME PERSONALLY based on where I want to practice and what I want to study) that I would consider going there with absolutely no wooing/marketing or money.

I hope that you don';t think ANY school is interested in YOU.

Your money and future connections and endowment ? Sure..

No s*** Sherlock. Of course it's a transaction. I want it to be a mutually beneficial transaction. I.e., I want a school that will give ME money and future connections. If I wanted a happy rainbow school full of people who love me, I'd go back to my undergrad.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm

fallingup wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
fallingup wrote:
Yes, I was referring to my application going complete, NOT receiving a decision. I am not sure why my interest or lack of interest in Cornell bothers you. If you want to go there, you should be happy that I am considering withdrawing. I am entitled to look for different things in a school than you. You may view a school's interest in you as an applicant as an irrelevant factor in your decision, but I don't. Cornell isn't that good of a school (FOR ME PERSONALLY based on where I want to practice and what I want to study) that I would consider going there with absolutely no wooing/marketing or money.

I hope that you don';t think ANY school is interested in YOU.

Your money and future connections and endowment ? Sure..

No s*** Sherlock. Of course it's a transaction. I want it to be a mutually beneficial transaction. I.e., I want a school that will give ME money and future connections. If I wanted a happy rainbow school full of people who love me, I'd go back to my undergrad.

Cool. Nothing that you want is precluded by Cornell's timeline. You're just an entitled and whining child.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm

LRGhost wrote:

And it's fucking bullshit. Everyone knows what they're getting in to. There's a difference between commiserating and saying "Man, shit sucks that it takes so long" and saying "Well, they obviously don't care about me so I'm going to withdraw my application." If you have that luxury, cool, but you clearly didn't want to go the school in the first place.

It's not about whether they "care" about me. It's about whether I think I will do well there/fit in there/get money to go there - if the school does absolutely no marketing or bargaining with me, the school remains a mystery to me. I feel like it's a risky gamble for me to go to that school and it therefore falls to a lower place on my list. I want to be sold on a school. It's not about being coddled. We're buying an expensive product here and it helps to know more about it and to be persuaded that it's a good fit.

It's also about whether they let me know early enough in the cycle to allow me to successfully plan to move across the country and set up contacts in a new city, compared to the other schools I've applied to. There's a reason that waitlists don't have a 100% yield - even students who love a school and stay on the waitlist have a point at which it's too late and the option in hand is worth more than the option that makes them wait.
Last edited by fallingup on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

ERRBODY NEEDS TO CALM THE FUCK DOWN

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Here, an actual question about admissions timing:

So we know Cornell may take a while, that much is true. From some of my other acceptances, it looks like I may have to submit seat deposits and make decisions before Cornell ever gets back to me. Is there a consistent 'decision day' for law schools or do I have to, say, choose not to attend ND because I'm waiting on Cornell? Or am I being a moron.

Also, whenever you get upset on the internet try to imagine a horse going through a turnstile and you'll feel better.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Here, an actual question about admissions timing:

So we know Cornell may take a while, that much is true. From some of my other acceptances, it looks like I may have to submit seat deposits and make decisions before Cornell ever gets back to me. Is there a consistent 'decision day' for law schools or do I have to, say, choose not to attend ND because I'm waiting on Cornell? Or am I being a moron.

Also, whenever you get upset on the internet try to imagine a horse going through a turnstile and you'll feel better.

For most schools that I've seen, they require you to withdraw from all schools to which you have been accepted when you submit a seat deposit - so if you haven't received a decision from a school you're interested in, you can keep your application there active. Of course, be sure to check the specific wording of the seat deposit contract.

That having been said, if you submitted in early Jan. you should probably hear back soon. Almost definitely by mid-April.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:34 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Here, an actual question about admissions timing:

For most schools that I've seen, they require you to withdraw from all schools to which you have been accepted when you submit a seat deposit - so if you haven't received a decision from a school you're interested in, you can keep your application there active. Of course, be sure to check the specific wording of the seat deposit contract.

That having been said, if you submitted in early Jan. you should probably hear back soon. Almost definitely by mid-April.

I see; I have not done much research about when I am actually supposed make the decision of what school to attend, so I'm worried that, should I hear from Cornell (and it be bad news) I would have missed my window to actually accept at a different school. If that's the case that is pretty messed up.

JXander

Postby JXander » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Half of this site is. The other half is people calling out the people bitching in the other half.

+1

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 pm

I see; I have not done much research about when I am actually supposed make the decision of what school to attend, so I'm worried that, should I hear from Cornell (and it be bad news) I would have missed my window to actually accept at a different school. If that's the case that is pretty messed up.

From what I've seen from some other posts here, some people waiting for a decision have put down a seat deposit at a school they've been accepted, but I haven't heard of anyone being locked into a choice before getting to hear back from a school. The worst I've seen so far is somebody losing their seat deposit money.

Please keep in mind, this is just from what I've seen from a couple of TLSers' stories. I would definitely find out the school's specific policy.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:03 pm

just look at the language, some schools let you direct deposit, some require it right away

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:25 pm

'"Specifically, the Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

"After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class."'

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

talesofyore wrote:'"Specifically, the Law School Admission Council publishes a Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices, by which all member schools agree to abide. If you read the Statement carefully, you will see that item number 6 under "Application Procedures" states the following:

"After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment [sic] has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class."'

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Okay let's get back to bitching about this Ivy League law school inconveniencing us.

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 pm

In other news....I JUST GOT IN!!!!

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 pm

moneyball026 wrote:In other news....I JUST GOT IN!!!!

8) 8) 8)

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 pm

shntn wrote:
moneyball026 wrote:In other news....I JUST GOT IN!!!!

8) 8) 8)

'grats!

CatFacts

Postby CatFacts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:15 pm

In as of about an hour ago!

poichi

Postby poichi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Congrats you guys :) Did you have the three post-completion updates?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”