Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
masked kavana

Bronze

Re: Cornell c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by masked kavana » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Bill wrote:Having those extra classrooms is all well and good for FUTURE incoming classes, but for us, having construction right outside the on-campus law housing is a HUGE drawback for me. So you say it's 'only' for our first year? Well isn't it basically our MOST important year in law school? The top 1L students will get paid internships in the summer and that first year GPA also sets you up for OCI in your 2nd year. That's what my concern is.

Plus, IMO, the off-campus living options suck compared to other schools. The closest place to live that's off campus is Collegetown and it winds up being way overpriced and full of noisy undergrads at night. And from my experience, my friends wound up hating having to drive to campus or 'walk 15 minutes' in the snow and ice, which basically starts Oct./Nov. - March/April.

I found a time-lapse video of the construction that started in June. Check out the 2nd half of the video when the weather starts to turn to shit...basically every picture has ALL snow and bad weather conditions:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/common/ ... /&type=mp4
That is so anti-climactic... You expect something more at the end..

Bill

New

Post by Bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Lots of people say the opposite - as in, they want to live OFF campus bc Cornells on campus us very dorm like..
I'd agree it's definitely a personal preference. My reservations just come from the people I've spoken to and research I've done. The consensus was to live as accessible to campus as possible at least for the first year. After that, it's up to personal preference.
masked kavana wrote:That is so anti-climactic... You expect something more at the end..
They're called intangibles that matter when deciding between schools. :D

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Anyone know what day they are currently up to in completing applications?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Bill wrote:Having those extra classrooms is all well and good for FUTURE incoming classes, but for us, having construction right outside the on-campus law housing is a HUGE drawback for me. So you say it's 'only' for our first year? Well isn't it basically our MOST important year in law school? The top 1L students will get paid internships in the summer and that first year GPA also sets you up for OCI in your 2nd year. That's what my concern is.

Plus, IMO, the off-campus living options suck compared to other schools. The closest place to live that's off campus is Collegetown and it winds up being way overpriced and full of noisy undergrads at night. And from my experience, my friends wound up hating having to drive to campus or 'walk 15 minutes' in the snow and ice, which basically starts Oct./Nov. - March/April.

I found a time-lapse video of the construction that started in June. Check out the 2nd half of the video when the weather starts to turn to shit...basically every picture has ALL snow and bad weather conditions:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/common/ ... /&type=mp4
Nice video. From what I heard during OCI the new classrooms are just for 1L's. So, you guys won't ever use them. The good news is that you'll have more of the other rooms available when you do need them.

In my case, I transferred to Cornell. So my entire time here will be marred with construction. Without the constructions it's a beautiful school (well, the 7-8 weeks combined when it's not cold and leaves are on the trees.)

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 am

Cornell is making me nervous. Submitted a month ago and I'm still not even complete.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 am

End of February. Maybe some of us deferree's will see some love?

Maybe?

Please?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 am

framboozer wrote:Cornell is making me nervous. Submitted a month ago and I'm still not even complete.
+1. I spoke to admissions last week and they said they were up to apps submitted 1/10 so hopefully we'll hear back soon

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 am

Rlabo wrote:
framboozer wrote:Cornell is making me nervous. Submitted a month ago and I'm still not even complete.
+1. I spoke to admissions last week and they said they were up to apps submitted 1/10 so hopefully we'll hear back soon
"Up to" as in rendering them complete, or as in reviewing them? I submitted in December so if it's the latter, I'm going to be slightly worried. Went complete over a month ago. Based on what I've seen on LSN, a good number of applicants who submitted around the same time as I did haven't received decisions yet.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 am

Anyone heard of need based aid from Cornell yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 am

Rlabo wrote:
This is a wonderful update, thanks.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am

dproduct wrote:End of February. Maybe some of us deferree's will see some love?

Maybe?

Please?

I really think most of us will be waiting till April. Erggghhh

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am

curious66 wrote:Anyone heard of need based aid from Cornell yet?
No, I don't think so. Is that actually a thing?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

UselessKnowledge wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
"Up to" as in rendering them complete, or as in reviewing them? I submitted in December so if it's the latter, I'm going to be slightly worried. Went complete over a month ago. Based on what I've seen on LSN, a good number of applicants who submitted around the same time as I did haven't received decisions yet.
Rendering them complete. I submitted 1/25 and am still not complete as in they're "verifying materials for completion" before it gets placed in the queue for review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

corinnejay

New

Post by corinnejay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 pm

I've had my application go complete three times now (1/14, 2/15, 2/21), submitted 12/13. I should probably be getting a response reasonably soon right?

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

deans scholly yesterday!
pretty stoked, cornell is one of my top three choices.

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Rlabo wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
Rendering them complete. I submitted 1/25 and am still not complete as in they're "verifying materials for completion" before it gets placed in the queue for review.
Thanks for the info!

LLLPLLL

New

Post by LLLPLLL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Dean's Scholarship yesterday +1 and Cornell's one of my top choices. But since I'm waitlisted at few other schools and its unlikely that they'll make a decision by April 1st... I'll prolly need to ask for an extension of deadline to accept the scholarship offer... if Cornell ever gives extension... Has anyone requested extension before?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 pm

LLLPLLL wrote:Dean's Scholarship yesterday +1 and Cornell's one of my top choices. But since I'm waitlisted at few other schools and its unlikely that they'll make a decision by April 1st... I'll prolly need to ask for an extension of deadline to accept the scholarship offer... if Cornell ever gives extension... Has anyone requested extension before?
Congrats on the scholly. I would take it and go to Cornell and enjoy!!!. The schools where you are WL are probably not going to give you any money. Cornell places well in NYC too, so just be happy and debt free!!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:deans scholly yesterday!
pretty stoked, cornell is one of my top three choices.
LLLPLLL wrote:Dean's Scholarship yesterday +1 and Cornell's one of my top choices. But since I'm waitlisted at few other schools and its unlikely that they'll make a decision by April 1st... I'll prolly need to ask for an extension of deadline to accept the scholarship offer... if Cornell ever gives extension... Has anyone requested extension before?
Congrats to both of you!

But LLLPLLL, read it again. It says you're certifying that you've withdrawn from all other schools to which you have been admitted. You don't have to withdraw from any waitlists if you don't want to.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 am

Rlabo wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
That's odd. I spoke to admissions on the 18th about my application (submitted 1/15), and they told me they were working on 1/15 applications that day. I went complete later that day too.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am

So cornell's acceptance package is a big red book?! How could I not have known about something this awesome until know?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
framboozer wrote:
That's odd. I spoke to admissions on the 18th about my application (submitted 1/15), and they told me they were working on 1/15 applications that day. I went complete later that day too.
Hmm. That is odd as I just checked my call logs and I called on the 19th.... Regardless I was planning on calling tomorrow to see what's going on.

I'm curious to know if you gave them any specific information about who you were because I just referred to myself as a prospective law student. If you did, think that could have had an effect?

CatFacts

New

Post by CatFacts » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 am

wbrother wrote:So cornell's acceptance package is a big red book?! How could I not have known about something this awesome until know?
Yep, I received mine in the mail yesterday. It's all nicely bound and has a red ribbon bookmark.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

Rlabo wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
framboozer wrote:
Hmm. That is odd as I just checked my call logs and I called on the 19th.... Regardless I was planning on calling tomorrow to see what's going on.

I'm curious to know if you gave them any specific information about who you were because I just referred to myself as a prospective law student. If you did, think that could have had an effect?
I actually visited, so that could have been part of it. However, the Friday before I visited, someone said that had gone complete after applying on 1/14, so I don't think it was entirely my visit that impacted the complete date.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am

Why call again? Do you really think that they have nothing better to do than answer calls from anxious 0L's?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”