Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
perfectheight411
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby perfectheight411 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:06 pm

what are the chances of getting into georgetown off of the wait list as opposed to the preferred wait list?
thanks

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm

.
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby uconjak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 pm

I am going to DC in a few weeks. i thought i would go to GULC and talk about finacial aid or should i say the lack of aid for me. I think this is better done mano v mano. I want to look into their eyes when they tell me "no way jose" , and i tell them " no mon no fun".

LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LittleTree » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 pm

I just got an email designating me as a scholarship alternate. It noted the normal stuff about an exceptionally strong applicant pool and then said that they made a few offers but I didn't make the cut.
The email asked if I wanted to stay under consideration and that I might get a scholarship by April 5th because the scholarships they just offered expire on April 1st.
This process with Georgetown is extremely frustrating. They keep pushing out the deadline while trying to keep some of us hanging on because they say there's still some small chance that we might receive aid.
I'm going to stay on until the next round. If I don't get a scholarship I'll probably bounce. I can't afford Georgetown at full price and I'm in at schools with similar prospects with large scholarships and objectively better schools with small but existent scholarships.

My numbers/info because this usually helps people - 167/3.9+ urm, accepted in December about a week after they read my application.

User avatar
danielr
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby danielr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Has anybody asked for an increase over their initial scholarship offer yet? If so, what was the result? GULC is seemingly open to some level of negotiation, I think.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm

LittleTree wrote:I just got an email designating me as a scholarship alternate. It noted the normal stuff about an exceptionally strong applicant pool and then said that they made a few offers but I didn't make the cut.
The email asked if I wanted to stay under consideration and that I might get a scholarship by April 5th because the scholarships they just offered expire on April 1st.
This process with Georgetown is extremely frustrating. They keep pushing out the deadline while trying to keep some of us hanging on because they say there's still some small chance that we might receive aid.
I'm going to stay on until the next round. If I don't get a scholarship I'll probably bounce. I can't afford Georgetown at full price and I'm in at schools with similar prospects with large scholarships and objectively better schools with small but existent scholarships.

My numbers/info because this usually helps people - 167/3.9+ urm, accepted in December about a week after they read my application.


From what I can tell, Georgetown has literally the most random scholarship process this year. people just came out with HUGE offers earlier this week, but many of us accepted in December and earlier have nothing yet. I received a rather confused email saying they were in the process of giving our scholarships, that they would re-evaluate after April 5th, but also that I may want to send them other offers at this time. So I'm debating what to do.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LittleTree wrote:I just got an email designating me as a scholarship alternate. It noted the normal stuff about an exceptionally strong applicant pool and then said that they made a few offers but I didn't make the cut.
The email asked if I wanted to stay under consideration and that I might get a scholarship by April 5th because the scholarships they just offered expire on April 1st.
This process with Georgetown is extremely frustrating. They keep pushing out the deadline while trying to keep some of us hanging on because they say there's still some small chance that we might receive aid.
I'm going to stay on until the next round. If I don't get a scholarship I'll probably bounce. I can't afford Georgetown at full price and I'm in at schools with similar prospects with large scholarships and objectively better schools with small but existent scholarships.

My numbers/info because this usually helps people - 167/3.9+ urm, accepted in December about a week after they read my application.


From what I can tell, Georgetown has literally the most random scholarship process this year. people just came out with HUGE offers earlier this week, but many of us accepted in December and earlier have nothing yet. I received a rather confused email saying they were in the process of giving our scholarships, that they would re-evaluate after April 5th, but also that I may want to send them other offers at this time. So I'm debating what to do.


Withdraw because your numbers are way too high to be offered anything worthwhile? I mean, it might happen but I bet you'll have way better offers when all is said and done.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:05 pm

And of course I'm joking about withdrawing, wait it out if you're legitimately interested.

turn left
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby turn left » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Got the alternate email today as well.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
LittleTree wrote:I just got an email designating me as a scholarship alternate. It noted the normal stuff about an exceptionally strong applicant pool and then said that they made a few offers but I didn't make the cut.
The email asked if I wanted to stay under consideration and that I might get a scholarship by April 5th because the scholarships they just offered expire on April 1st.
This process with Georgetown is extremely frustrating. They keep pushing out the deadline while trying to keep some of us hanging on because they say there's still some small chance that we might receive aid.
I'm going to stay on until the next round. If I don't get a scholarship I'll probably bounce. I can't afford Georgetown at full price and I'm in at schools with similar prospects with large scholarships and objectively better schools with small but existent scholarships.

My numbers/info because this usually helps people - 167/3.9+ urm, accepted in December about a week after they read my application.


From what I can tell, Georgetown has literally the most random scholarship process this year. people just came out with HUGE offers earlier this week, but many of us accepted in December and earlier have nothing yet. I received a rather confused email saying they were in the process of giving our scholarships, that they would re-evaluate after April 5th, but also that I may want to send them other offers at this time. So I'm debating what to do.


Withdraw because your numbers are way too high to be offered anything worthwhile? I mean, it might happen but I bet you'll have way better offers when all is said and done.


Not sure if you're referring to me or the other poster, but withdrawing would be pointless and backwards before hearing any news about the aid offer. Gtown is a serious consideration for me as a school, but Im fine being honest in saying that they would have to put up $30K/yr or more to remain a contender. Once (if) they tell me Im not getting any merit aid and wont compromise, I will gladly withdraw to free room on the WL.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:And of course I'm joking about withdrawing, wait it out if you're legitimately interested.


Still wouldn't expect much though from them. We shall see!

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby senorhosh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Just received a higher scholly amount. Does anybody know if the Georgetown Law Center Scholarship is binding once you make the "deposit"?

Seems like my scholly is different from others: For one, it says my seat deposit is waived. Second, it says I must send in a letter of intent to enroll. The wording seems binding.

I would make a deposit but I'm still waiting on other schools. Not sure what to do at this point...

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 am

Just got requested to do a group interview with dean cornblatt. I would go to Georgetown in a heartbeat. Can anyone share their experiences with the interviews/ what to expect? A pm or info here would be greatly appreciated. I visited the campus and thought it was awesome.

arrowhead2012
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:32 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby arrowhead2012 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

Does anyone know if we can bring a guest to the Admitted Student Day in April? I know we were invited to bring a guest to the open house but I don't see any mention of that on the ASW for the admitted student day

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm

arrowhead2012 wrote:Does anyone know if we can bring a guest to the Admitted Student Day in April? I know we were invited to bring a guest to the open house but I don't see any mention of that on the ASW for the admitted student day


Not if you want to avoid the dreaded "Halo Effect."

Eta: I don't really know the answer for Georgetown specifically (I would just email them) but I have never brought a guest to one of those things just for the sake of sparing them 8 hours of boredom. Might be helpful if you want a sounding board, however.

gfd973
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gfd973 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Just got an invite to interview as well, though it's a one-on-one with an alum. Anyone else with this experience have any light they can shed on the interview? PM is fine.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Just got requested to do a group interview with dean cornblatt. I would go to Georgetown in a heartbeat. Can anyone share their experiences with the interviews/ what to expect? A pm or info here would be greatly appreciated.


Search back a few (dozen?) pages. The group interviews have been discussed earlier.

kraffcook
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kraffcook » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm

arrowhead2012 wrote:Does anyone know if we can bring a guest to the Admitted Student Day in April? I know we were invited to bring a guest to the open house but I don't see any mention of that on the ASW for the admitted student day

People brought guests in March and it wasn't a problem. There were parents, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc. It's just a big crowd of people, so no one really cares.

kraffcook
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kraffcook » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Got an e-mail last Friday telling me I wouldn't be getting a scholarship. Today, they gave me $37,500 a year!

They screwed up my financial aid info and never processed it. So, once it was processed, they decided I could use the money. It's a combination and merit and need grants. I'm so stoked right now, ready to commit.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 pm

kraffcook wrote:Got an e-mail last Friday telling me I wouldn't be getting a scholarship. Today, they gave me $37,500 a year!

They screwed up my financial aid info and never processed it. So, once it was processed, they decided I could use the money. It's a combination and merit and need grants. I'm so stoked right now, ready to commit.



Wow, awesome turn-around - congrats!

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Got an e-mail last Friday telling me I wouldn't be getting a scholarship. Today, they gave me $37,500 a year!


Aren't you really glad that you didn't withdraw in haste (and anger) over their processes? :P

jediknight2424
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jediknight2424 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Posting for a close friend. He just got a group interview w/ georgetown. He is below both medians but above both 25th and currently on the waitlist. I'm sure he is a longshot but any advice for him-- especially on the group interview? If you feel more comfortable shooting me a PM that would be much appreciated.

I'll comb through the thread as well. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

kraffcook
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kraffcook » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Posting for a close friend. He just got a group interview w/ georgetown. He is below both medians but above both 25th and currently on the waitlist. I'm sure he is a longshot but any advice for him-- especially on the group interview? If you feel more comfortable shooting me a PM that would be much appreciated.

I'll comb through the thread as well. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Don't be the quiet one who only speaks when spoken to. They like people who are pro-active and lead.

puppiespaws
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby puppiespaws » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 pm

So I was placed on the regular WL about a month ago. Does anyone know if they still try to do group interviews with people off the WL? The wait list email said they'd contact me in May to see if I was interested in being reevaluated, and I assumed then would be a good time for a LoCI. But my cycle isn't going too well, and I want to make sure I do all I can... Do you think it's worth it to send that LoCI now?

User avatar
DukeofCambridge
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby DukeofCambridge » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 am

Has anyone else not heard anything ...... I submitted in January, but thus far, only silence.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jstans, proteinshake and 9 guests