Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ALgooner
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ALgooner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 am

HankBashir wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
HankBashir wrote:You can say "all y'all" though, but DC is technically upper south, and "all y'all" is more of a deep south thing.

"All y'alls" is not a deep south thing, it's a trailer trash thing. There's a big difference.


"all y'all" is common in non-rural Georgia/Alabama outside of trailer parks though. I'll be honest and say I've never heard "all y'alls"


Idk where you are from, but I live in Bama and "all ya'll" is not common. I cannot think of a time in which I've heard someone seriously use that.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 am

ETA: May have made that up... hang on...

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby StillIll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 am

MacB wrote:Not judging, but I saw Still use the words arrestS in another thread. C&F concerns could be the simple explanation.


While its true, the most recent one was 2009. And they were only arrests... they were dismissed outright. I didn't disclose them to the schools that asked only for convictions so while it may be a factor it can't be a blanket factor.

Edit: 2009 I was 19... I was a bit of a wanderer there for a bit, which also accounts for my low GPA. I'm way past those days now... I mean I'm a clerk for the freakin Justice Court in the city I'm in now.. I would hope that would be enough to calm C&F concerns.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:18 am

StillIll wrote:
MacB wrote:Not judging, but I saw Still use the words arrestS in another thread. C&F concerns could be the simple explanation.


While its true, the most recent one was 2009. And they were only arrests... they were dismissed outright. I didn't disclose them to the schools that asked only for convictions so while it may be a factor it can't be a blanket factor.


still a good shot @ Cornell and dece @ NYU assuming being late doesn't hurt too much - even if it does I can't see you not snagging at least 1 WL eventually

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:19 am

Understood. And I really did mean it when I said that I was not passing judgment in any sense. Just throwing out a potential explanation for consideration. Maybe some combo of splitter/C&F/softs/late in the cycle.

Bad luck is all I can call it, man. :|

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby StillIll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 am

MacB wrote:Understood. And I really did mean it when I said that I was not passing judgment in any sense. Just throwing out a potential explanation for consideration. Maybe some combo of splitter/C&F/softs/late in the cycle.

Bad luck is all I can call it, man. :|


Oh yeah, I am sure it is a combination of any number of things. For example if I'm on the edge with another few candidates I'm sure they're more inclined towards a candidate without any C&F dings on their record.

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby HankBashir » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:27 am

ALgooner wrote:
HankBashir wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
HankBashir wrote:You can say "all y'all" though, but DC is technically upper south, and "all y'all" is more of a deep south thing.

"All y'alls" is not a deep south thing, it's a trailer trash thing. There's a big difference.


"all y'all" is common in non-rural Georgia/Alabama outside of trailer parks though. I'll be honest and say I've never heard "all y'alls"


Idk where you are from, but I live in Bama and "all ya'll" is not common. I cannot think of a time in which I've heard someone seriously use that.


I'm Northeast Alabama and West Georgia. It's not something I hear on a daily basis anymore (though that is probably a function of hanging around people with a higher level of educaion) but I certainly wouldn't look at somebody strangely if they said it.

Then again, a few months ago when I was in Augusta, GA, somebody said "over yonder" and I looked at them like they were crazy and everybody else looked at me like I was crazy for thinking it was unusual.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 am

Central (rural) NC checkin' in, and "all y'all" would have flown right over my head as normal. Then again, my fav is the double contraction, "y'all've." Figure that one out.

Ruthie
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Ruthie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 am

Still nothing!! Complete mid January, interview on 2/16. My status has changed I think 3 times? I don't check often.

I was actually hoping for a wait list email yesterday just so I could be done waiting!

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bluecouch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am

MacB wrote:Central (rural) NC checkin' in, and "all y'all" would have flown right over my head as normal. Then again, my fav is the double contraction, "y'all've." Figure that one out.


I love the use of y'all (disclaimer: I was raised in NC). Sometimes you need to use the second person plural and "you guys" just won't do! And, by extension, you should be able to use contractions with it. Thus, y'all've passes muster in my book. "Y'alls" sounds weird, though. Not even rednecky, just weird.

On another note, anyone hear about merit aid yet? "Early March" seems like a pretty squishy deadline.

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby moneyball026 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am

bluecouch wrote:
MacB wrote:Central (rural) NC checkin' in, and "all y'all" would have flown right over my head as normal. Then again, my fav is the double contraction, "y'all've." Figure that one out.


I love the use of y'all (disclaimer: I was raised in NC). Sometimes you need to use the second person plural and "you guys" just won't do! And, by extension, you should be able to use contractions with it. Thus, y'all've passes muster in my book. "Y'alls" sounds weird, though. Not even rednecky, just weird.

On another note, anyone hear about merit aid yet? "Early March" seems like a pretty squishy deadline.


Nope, though I do think there's a chance people hear back today. They seem to have financial aid stuff go down on Fridays based on when the emails go out. They probably have committee meetings those afternoons. Happy "Early March" everyone!

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

bluecouch wrote:
MacB wrote:Central (rural) NC checkin' in, and "all y'all" would have flown right over my head as normal. Then again, my fav is the double contraction, "y'all've." Figure that one out.


I love the use of y'all (disclaimer: I was raised in NC). Sometimes you need to use the second person plural and "you guys" just won't do! And, by extension, you should be able to use contractions with it. Thus, y'all've passes muster in my book. "Y'alls" sounds weird, though. Not even rednecky, just weird.

On another note, anyone hear about merit aid yet? "Early March" seems like a pretty squishy deadline.


Not to be a stickler, but in the response from Dean Cornblatt after the "finalist" email, he DID say that we would hear back by March 1st. I know a day or two here or there won't kill us, but it would be nice if that original promise was kept.

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Bfalcon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

MacB wrote:Central (rural) NC checkin' in, and "all y'all" would have flown right over my head as normal. Then again, my fav is the double contraction, "y'all've." Figure that one out.



Ohhhhhh boy....I got a lot to learn :P

This is early March...and this is March 1st. Where's my email Gtown?

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

BigZuck wrote:Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?


Seconded. (and if I get a 45K offer, I will be blaming you for jinxing me, fyi)

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby moneyball026 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am

MacB wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?


Seconded. (and if I get a 45K offer, I will be blaming you for jinxing me, fyi)


Yep, I'm pretty sure they're gonna lowball. I tried my best to word my requested amount in my original email to say, "This is not a negotiation starting point. This is the number I need to attend, and if you hit it I'm probably attending." So I have a feeling they'll come about 30k under the request for me and everyone else. GULC hasn't seemed totally user friendly this cycle.

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 am

Considering everyone and their grandma applies, Georgetown will have no shortage of people lining up to pay sticker but if they want to maintain medians at all they will have to do something drastic I think. They already lost a bunch of high number folks when they started this new "program" (though to be fair I doubt any would have attended anyway) and they might lose a bunch more today if people feel slighted after jumping through all their hoops. Should be interesting.

popcorn.gif

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Trying to figure out how to withdraw and can't find it on the ASW. lolllll such a life fail. i need more coffee.

turn left
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby turn left » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?


Didn't get the scholarship email but sent a merit scholarship inquiry to the admissions office early this week and haven't gotten a response.

If anyone doesn't want their potential 45k offer I'd be glad to take it off your hands...

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Trying to figure out how to withdraw and can't find it on the ASW. lolllll such a life fail. i need more coffee.


I just sent out emails. "Thanks for the offer, moving in a different direction" type of thing.

User avatar
pedestrian
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pedestrian » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 pm

turn left wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?


Didn't get the scholarship email but sent a merit scholarship inquiry to the admissions office early this week and haven't gotten a response.

If anyone doesn't want their potential 45k offer I'd be glad to take it off your hands...


Let us know if you do hear anything back. I would be very interested in any other merit processes they may have lined up.

turn left
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby turn left » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 pm

pedestrian wrote:
turn left wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Yup, pretty sure we hear back today. I predict a lot of 45K offers and swift, angry withdrawals.

Any other predictions?


Didn't get the scholarship email but sent a merit scholarship inquiry to the admissions office early this week and haven't gotten a response.

If anyone doesn't want their potential 45k offer I'd be glad to take it off your hands...


Let us know if you do hear anything back. I would be very interested in any other merit processes they may have lined up.


Will do. I think I have numbers on par (I think) with many of those who received the email so I'd like to think I'll at least get something but who knows.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby maxmartin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:11 pm

on the waiting list but received interview invitation this morning, will it help?

User avatar
radar714
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby radar714 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 pm

maxmartin wrote:on the waiting list but received interview invitation this morning, will it help?


I got it too, can't hurt right?

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby maxmartin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm

radar714 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:on the waiting list but received interview invitation this morning, will it help?


I got it too, can't hurt right?


it is kinda long travel for me to the interview place, thinking about not participating




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests