Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 pm

HankBashir wrote:You can say "all y'all" though, but DC is technically upper south, and "all y'all" is more of a deep south thing.

"All y'alls" is not a deep south thing, it's a trailer trash thing. There's a big difference.

User avatar
zestylemon
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zestylemon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 pm

stone_fox wrote:
zestylemon wrote:Dinged which with 164/3.5 I can't be surprised but still hurts a bit :/


Sorry. It's always a bummer, even if it was a reach.


Thanks, we'll see how the rest of the cycle goes... if I end up not doing as well as I'd like I'd consider a transfer (obviously depends on how I like where I end up) just because I really did like GULC, oh well, best of luck to those who go and those waiting! :)

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Participated in a group interview today, and it was surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable. I doubt anyone in the room did anything but benefit their chances. I'd advise anyone considering doing one to do it; it was an interesting experience.


Details? I'm participating in one next week

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby boblawlob » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Ding'd

ED did not work.


FML

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Participated in a group interview today, and it was surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable. I doubt anyone in the room did anything but benefit their chances. I'd advise anyone considering doing one to do it; it was an interesting experience.


Details? I'm participating in one next week


I think ours was a bit of an aberration from the norm since we only had 5 people and the dean said it's usually in the range of 8-16, so he modified the structure a bit. But generally it's a role playing situation where you are the Georgetown admissions committee and you debate the merits and weights of various application aspects and make mock-decisions on real anonymous applicants. Not really anything you can prepare for.

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Participated in a group interview today, and it was surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable. I doubt anyone in the room did anything but benefit their chances. I'd advise anyone considering doing one to do it; it was an interesting experience.


Details? I'm participating in one next week


I think ours was a bit of an aberration from the norm since we only had 5 people and the dean said it's usually in the range of 8-16, so he modified the structure a bit. But generally it's a role playing situation where you are the Georgetown admissions committee and you debate the merits and weights of various application aspects and make mock-decisions on real anonymous applicants. Not really anything you can prepare for.


That's been the general consensus of what I've read here. Thanks for the update though. I'm looking forward to it as I've been put on the preferred waitlist so maybe this will help. Did people stick to business casual or suit/tie etc?

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Participated in a group interview today, and it was surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable. I doubt anyone in the room did anything but benefit their chances. I'd advise anyone considering doing one to do it; it was an interesting experience.


Details? I'm participating in one next week


I think ours was a bit of an aberration from the norm since we only had 5 people and the dean said it's usually in the range of 8-16, so he modified the structure a bit. But generally it's a role playing situation where you are the Georgetown admissions committee and you debate the merits and weights of various application aspects and make mock-decisions on real anonymous applicants. Not really anything you can prepare for.


That's been the general consensus of what I've read here. Thanks for the update though. I'm looking forward to it as I've been put on the preferred waitlist so maybe this will help. Did people stick to business casual or suit/tie etc?


Out of the five of us (all gentledudes) one went full suit, two went shirt and tie, one went blazer and no tie, one went shirt no tie.

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Preferred wait list. Only had one update after interview and interview went really well. Maybe I should wrote a LOCI? 164/3.67 non URM hispanic

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:39 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:Preferred wait list. Only had one update after interview and interview went really well. Maybe I should wrote a LOCI? 164/3.67 non URM hispanic


Was it a group interview or one-on-one?

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:Preferred wait list. Only had one update after interview and interview went really well. Maybe I should wrote a LOCI? 164/3.67 non URM hispanic


Do it!!

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Participated in a group interview today, and it was surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable. I doubt anyone in the room did anything but benefit their chances. I'd advise anyone considering doing one to do it; it was an interesting experience.


Details? I'm participating in one next week


I think ours was a bit of an aberration from the norm since we only had 5 people and the dean said it's usually in the range of 8-16, so he modified the structure a bit. But generally it's a role playing situation where you are the Georgetown admissions committee and you debate the merits and weights of various application aspects and make mock-decisions on real anonymous applicants. Not really anything you can prepare for.


That's been the general consensus of what I've read here. Thanks for the update though. I'm looking forward to it as I've been put on the preferred waitlist so maybe this will help. Did people stick to business casual or suit/tie etc?


Out of the five of us (all gentledudes) one went full suit, two went shirt and tie, one went blazer and no tie, one went shirt no tie.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks for that.

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:Preferred wait list. Only had one update after interview and interview went really well. Maybe I should wrote a LOCI? 164/3.67 non URM hispanic


Was it a group interview or one-on-one?

Alumni so one on one. I've kept in touch with her as well. She did promise to really advocate for me so I guess with my below median numbers I'm in a better position than I should be. How long should I wait to write it?

lampshade0520
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby lampshade0520 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 pm

4 updates, no interview, regular waitlisted. i even made a video/song for you, georgetown..

any LOCIs people want to share with me? feel free to PM. this blows but probably expected

165/3.75

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby HankBashir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
HankBashir wrote:You can say "all y'all" though, but DC is technically upper south, and "all y'all" is more of a deep south thing.

"All y'alls" is not a deep south thing, it's a trailer trash thing. There's a big difference.


"all y'all" is common in non-rural Georgia/Alabama outside of trailer parks though. I'll be honest and say I've never heard "all y'alls"

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Got my acceptance letter today (deceptively small letter)!

cheymao
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby cheymao » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 pm

WL via email today (non-priority)

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm

StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MacB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 pm

LRGhost wrote:
StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit


...why?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

GULC takes those numbers with increasing regularity.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 pm

LRGhost wrote:
StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit


yeah that's kinda surprising but not totally unprecedented for a WL

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby KingFish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Crowing wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit


yeah that's kinda surprising but not totally unprecedented for a WL

WL here too

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby StillIll » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 pm

LRGhost wrote:
StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit


Well that's what I was told prior to applying. But I've gotten waitlisted at every T-14 I've heard from so far (Virginia, Duke, held at NW)... well except Berkeley who flat out said no (but that was basically expected). Best school I've gotten into is Vanderbilt (whom I lukewarm on applying to but now I'm really glad I did, and would not attend begrudgingly). I suspect I have a scarlet letter on my application somewhere, whether it be past arrests (but not convictions) for marijuana or a mediocre PS.

But enough with my whining! I'll have a positive attitude wherever I end up... just excited to let it all begin and have this awful cloud of uncertainty gone from over my ahead. Congrats to all the admits.

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:10 am

It would be an upset for a 176 3.3 in this cycle not to get into a T14. Although I have no idea how admissions offices view arrests and things like that.

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Bfalcon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 am

HankBashir wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
HankBashir wrote:You can say "all y'all" though, but DC is technically upper south, and "all y'all" is more of a deep south thing.

"All y'alls" is not a deep south thing, it's a trailer trash thing. There's a big difference.


"all y'all" is common in non-rural Georgia/Alabama outside of trailer parks though. I'll be honest and say I've never heard "all y'alls"


I stand corrected. So pretty much it's "y'all" - 'll have to work on that :P I think I've been watching too much Justified or something, go figure that not everyone in the south says all y'alls. Just like not everyone in Canada lives in an igloo (only about half the population...and those guys are just plain weirdos)

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 am

StillIll wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
StillIll wrote:Woooooohooo my umpteenth waitlist. 176/3.36


wtf you should be an auto admit


Well that's what I was told prior to applying. But I've gotten waitlisted at every T-14 I've heard from so far (Virginia, Duke, held at NW)... well except Berkeley who flat out said no (but that was basically expected). Best school I've gotten into is Vanderbilt (whom I lukewarm on applying to but now I'm really glad I did, and would not attend begrudgingly). I suspect I have a scarlet letter on my application somewhere, whether it be past arrests (but not convictions) for marijuana or a mediocre PS.

But enough with my whining! I'll have a positive attitude wherever I end up... just excited to let it all begin and have this awful cloud of uncertainty gone from over my ahead. Congrats to all the admits.


Looking at the past 5 years or so you had like an 80% chance of getting in - so your odds were really good but it wasn't automatic. Your GPA is still below the 25%... If you had like a 3.45 we could probably say with 95%+ confidence that you're in, but with the way things stand, it looks like you just got super unlucky for some reason.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga and 4 guests