Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HankBashir

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby HankBashir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 am

For those of you that received interview invitations, when did they come relative to the date your application went complete?

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 am

HankBashir wrote:For those of you that received interview invitations, when did they come relative to the date your application went complete?

About 10 days for me.

Ambesa87

Postby Ambesa87 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 am

:wink:
Last edited by Ambesa87 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

Jonathk1 wrote:
Rory19 wrote:I don't think I was accepted prior to the interview because I was a borderline candidate. I think it was his way of alluding to a strong recommendation on his behalf that they accept me.

That's interesting. At least we know that the interview report has some strong significance.
Still haven't been contacted by my interviewer yet. Will be a full week tomorrow since the invitation. Worried that slots are being filled.

It was a week or two between my interview request and the call from my interviewer. He said that he had just received the email, so the delay may be in the Gtown office (this was first week of December, so they can only be busier now).

I also had a very positive interview experience and can confirm that it does seem to play a significant role. My interviewer probed my resume pretty thoroughly, but the overall tone was friendly and casual. He did not promise me admission, but did indicate that he would give me a strong recommendation. When I was accepted, the note from Andy mentioned that my interviewer gave me high praise. I have a high LSAT but very low GPA.

It is getting later in the cycle, but if your numbers are competitive and you interview well you should be fine. No doubt there will also be a lot of movement later, as Georgetown's bread-and-butter candidates are lured up higher in the rankings to compensate for declining applications.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am

Is it possible to get accepted without an interview? I applied 2 weeks ago which is pretty late in the cycle and doubt I will get an interview. But I'm above their LSAT median and between 25th and 50th for GPA so I don't think I'm an auto-ding. What should I expect?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 pm

pedestrian wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:
Rory19 wrote:I don't think I was accepted prior to the interview because I was a borderline candidate. I think it was his way of alluding to a strong recommendation on his behalf that they accept me.

That's interesting. At least we know that the interview report has some strong significance.
Still haven't been contacted by my interviewer yet. Will be a full week tomorrow since the invitation. Worried that slots are being filled.

It was a week or two between my interview request and the call from my interviewer. He said that he had just received the email, so the delay may be in the Gtown office (this was first week of December, so they can only be busier now).

I also had a very positive interview experience and can confirm that it does seem to play a significant role. My interviewer probed my resume pretty thoroughly, but the overall tone was friendly and casual. He did not promise me admission, but did indicate that he would give me a strong recommendation. When I was accepted, the note from Andy mentioned that my interviewer gave me high praise. I have a high LSAT but very low GPA.

It is getting later in the cycle, but if your numbers are competitive and you interview well you should be fine. No doubt there will also be a lot of movement later, as Georgetown's bread-and-butter candidates are lured up higher in the rankings to compensate for declining applications.

Just out of curiosity: can you ask for an interview or is that something that they ask of you if they wish? Thanks

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:

Just out of curiosity: can you ask for an interview or is that something that they ask of you if they wish? Thanks

They select candidates for interviews. You cannot request one, I'm afraid. However, you can be admitted without an interview.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm

pedestrian wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:I don't think I was accepted prior to the interview because I was a borderline candidate. I think it was his way of alluding to a strong recommendation on his behalf that they accept me.

Just out of curiosity: can you ask for an interview or is that something that they ask of you if they wish? Thanks[/quote]

They select candidates for interviews. You cannot request one, I'm afraid. However, you can be admitted without an interview.[/quote]

Thank you!

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm

fallingup wrote:Is it possible to get accepted without an interview? I applied 2 weeks ago which is pretty late in the cycle and doubt I will get an interview. But I'm above their LSAT median and between 25th and 50th for GPA so I don't think I'm an auto-ding. What should I expect?

I also applied two weeks ago. I just got an interview invite this week so it might still happen.

evoluna

Postby evoluna » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm

HankBashir wrote:For those of you that received interview invitations, when did they come relative to the date your application went complete?
Last edited by evoluna on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

zz888

Postby zz888 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi everyone, it's my first time on here. Was waitlisted on Friday 1/18. 164/3.75 Non-URM. Any chance for regular wait-listers to get admitted based on last years numbers? Anyone have any information on this? Thanks so much in advance!

scaredredpanda

Postby scaredredpanda » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 pm

fallingup wrote:Is it possible to get accepted without an interview? I applied 2 weeks ago which is pretty late in the cycle and doubt I will get an interview. But I'm above their LSAT median and between 25th and 50th for GPA so I don't think I'm an auto-ding. What should I expect?

I was accepted without an interview, and I have a 169/3.55. I applied the first week of December and received the acceptance letter on January 14.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Lots have been accepted without an interview. With your numbers I'd expect you to get in without one.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

scaredredpanda wrote:

I was accepted without an interview, and I have a 169/3.55. I applied the first week of December and received the acceptance letter on January 14.

Ohh, this settles my anxiety for the evening. Thank you panda.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 am

To the person who had a poor interview experience -- feel free to contact Admissions and let them know about the experience. Speaking as an alumni interviewer, the attitude of the alumnus who you spoke with is certainly neither representative of what Admissions wants from the interviewers nor, in my opinion, of the vast majority of anyone I know who graduated from GULC. I'm sorry you had that experience.

We have no idea if you are getting accepted when we interview you. We just know Admissions offered you an interview, and then we get your resume from you. That's it. And I can confirm that people I have interviewed have mentioned that Admissions mentioned the interview in the acceptance letters, so yes, it does make a difference (especially if it's a positive review).

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 am

chipchip wrote:To the person who had a poor interview experience -- feel free to contact Admissions and let them know about the experience. Speaking as an alumni interviewer, the attitude of the alumnus who you spoke with is certainly neither representative of what Admissions wants from the interviewers nor, in my opinion, of the vast majority of anyone I know who graduated from GULC. I'm sorry you had that experience.

We have no idea if you are getting accepted when we interview you. We just know Admissions offered you an interview, and then we get your resume from you. That's it. And I can confirm that people I have interviewed have mentioned that Admissions mentioned the interview in the acceptance letters, so yes, it does make a difference (especially if it's a positive review).

Could you please speak on the process of the interview more? Are you given a rubric of some sort? Grading scale? Designated questions from GULC?

And possibly what makes a candidate stand out?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 am

chipchip wrote:To the person who had a poor interview experience -- feel free to contact Admissions and let them know about the experience. Speaking as an alumni interviewer, the attitude of the alumnus who you spoke with is certainly neither representative of what Admissions wants from the interviewers nor, in my opinion, of the vast majority of anyone I know who graduated from GULC. I'm sorry you had that experience.

thanks, do you know anything about the decision making process regarding who gets in without a interview vs. who gets a group int vs alum int?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Got an impressive-but-creepy book today in the mail of faculty profiles. Helpful AND stalker-friendly, lol

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm

applied 1/8, received 1/9, went complete today.

jen1park

Postby jen1park » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Got an impressive-but-creepy book today in the mail of faculty profiles. Helpful AND stalker-friendly, lol

+1 :D

scc1986

Postby scc1986 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 pm

When does Georgetown mail scholarship offers?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Interview was on 1/15, now complete since 1/18. For those who were admitted after an alumni interview, how long did it take? Is there a certain number of updates or is it random?

Octaviankid

Postby Octaviankid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Got my acceptance today!

My profile never got updated and never had anything under the "mailings"...weird

CMC88

Postby CMC88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Octaviankid wrote:Got my acceptance today!

My profile never got updated and never had anything under the "mailings"...weird

Thank God--I thought I was the only one with no status/date changes or mailings!

Congratulations!!

papergirl05

Postby papergirl05 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

One of my recommenders got an email from Dean Cornblatt thanking him for his LOR. I thought this was a bit strange, but possibly a good sign? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”