Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jcan91

Bronze

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by jcan91 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:13 pm

byehds13 wrote:
byehds13 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:First acceptance!

3.0x GPA
175+ LSAT

Applied: 12/3
Update: 12/11
Interview: 12/15
Updates: 12/18, 12/19, 12/21
Letter arrived today, postmark 12/21

Congrats update buddy! Anyone know how long after the snail mail they follow up with an email? Im away for the holidays and won't be home until the end of January...
Nevermind, ASW access! Amazing 5am Christmas Present!
Congrats! One of the best presents I can imagine at this point!

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 pm

byehds13 wrote:
byehds13 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:First acceptance!

3.0x GPA
175+ LSAT

Applied: 12/3
Update: 12/11
Interview: 12/15
Updates: 12/18, 12/19, 12/21
Letter arrived today, postmark 12/21

Congrats update buddy! Anyone know how long after the snail mail they follow up with an email? Im away for the holidays and won't be home until the end of January...
Nevermind, ASW access! Amazing 5am Christmas Present!
Hooray! :-D Merry Christmas to us both! Are you going to a weekend? The letter said end of Jan. and March.

I still can't get into the website, but not too concerned. I have it in writing from Dean Cornblatt so that's enough for me! Christmas

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Just got my acceptance letter. Exciting.

Does anyone know when they tell us about $$?

P.S. The enveloped looked like either a rejection, or a Christmas card. What's up with that?

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 pm

I know I will get a lot of hate for this post, but I've gone through the whole thread and could not find a good post on this. For people who have interviewed with an alumnus/alumna can you please share your experience:

1.What kind of questions can you expect/should you be able to answer

2.how long does the interview usually last?

3. overall description of the interview experience.

I have the interview coming up in a few days and would appreciate any input you can provide.

Thanks!!

Happy Xmas!

kmarie

New

Post by kmarie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:34 am

andreskicdo wrote:I know I will get a lot of hate for this post, but I've gone through the whole thread and could not find a good post on this. For people who have interviewed with an alumnus/alumna can you please share your experience:

I have the interview coming up in a few days and would appreciate any input you can provide.

Thanks!!

Happy Xmas!
1. I was asked basic questions: why law, questions about resume, where else I applied then it was more of a conversation

2. Mine was 35 min

3.It was in his office. It was casual. I talked about things on my resume he asked, he spoke about his time at georgetown and his professors.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geronimo1967

New

Post by geronimo1967 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:58 am

Hi,

I was hoping to get some sort of scholarship for georgetown but they didn't mention anything in my acceptance letter -- do you guys know whether they make merit scholarships offer later or if the fact that I haven't heard means I didn't get anything?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:08 am

geronimo1967 wrote:Hi,

I was hoping to get some sort of scholarship for georgetown but they didn't mention anything in my acceptance letter -- do you guys know whether they make merit scholarships offer later or if the fact that I haven't heard means I didn't get anything?
See supra pages 49, 50, 57; see also Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012) thread. The "Forum Search" function is also available for use at your convenience.

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:10 am

kmarie wrote:
andreskicdo wrote:I know I will get a lot of hate for this post, but I've gone through the whole thread and could not find a good post on this. For people who have interviewed with an alumnus/alumna can you please share your experience:

Thanks!!

Happy Xmas!
1. I was asked basic questions: why law, questions about resume, where else I applied then it was more of a conversation

2. Mine was 35 min

3.It was in his office. It was casual. I talked about things on my resume he asked, he spoke about his time at georgetown and his professors.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
Thank you so much!

diver88

New

Post by diver88 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 pm

byehds13 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
byehds13 wrote:Hmm 5th update today...

3rd update the day after my interview (12/18), then an update the next day 12/19, and then another one today 12/21
I thought I was in the clear for an acceptance after the 4th update and no ding 48hrs later... so much for the 3rd/4th update rule. Any thoughts?
Perhaps the rule is three updates post-interview? It looks like most people who had interview + four updates had a pattern of: complete->update->interview->update->update->update->letter/ding/WL

Are you counting your completion date as an update?

I have had three updates after my interview and I'm hoping for a decision...
ok, thanks. now on to agonizing over how long before the WL/ding would come through. Fingers crossed for both of us!

I only had one update post-interview, so I don't think there's a rule

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:23 pm

I mentioned a few pages back that I got the interview letter. I had a fairly lengthy C&F addendum (underage drinking stuff and a "noise violation" earlier this year). Seems safe to expect some questions about this during the interview, right?

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

emarxnj wrote:I mentioned a few pages back that I got the interview letter. I had a fairly lengthy C&F addendum (underage drinking stuff and a "noise violation" earlier this year). Seems safe to expect some questions about this during the interview, right?
I highly doubt it. I would think that would be insanely unprofessional of them. Also it's not like you killed anyone, that's not an eyebrow-raising c&f issue or anything.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:31 pm

oaken wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I mentioned a few pages back that I got the interview letter. I had a fairly lengthy C&F addendum (underage drinking stuff and a "noise violation" earlier this year). Seems safe to expect some questions about this during the interview, right?
I highly doubt it. I would think that would be insanely unprofessional of them. Also it's not like you killed anyone, that's not an eyebrow-raising c&f issue or anything.
Yes...of course I didn't kill anyone :wink:

My concern about is more the quantity. I have about 6 incidents from before I turned 21, but I guess if they thought it was that bad they wouldn't have extended the interview offer.

Manhattanman

Bronze

Post by Manhattanman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 pm

emarxnj wrote:
oaken wrote:
Yes...of course I didn't kill anyone :wink:

My concern about is more the quantity. I have about 6 incidents from before I turned 21, but I guess if they thought it was that bad they wouldn't have extended the interview offer.
If it is an alumni interview, I don't think that have that information. My alumna asked me to send her a copy of my resume with my LSAT and GPA taken out. Which means she didn't have it to begin with. Either that or she was trying to fake me out. Most likely the former, good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maxiguess

Bronze

Post by maxiguess » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:53 pm

The interviewers aren't given access to your file. They don't work for the school and I believe there would be some privacy law violations if they were shown your files.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm

maxiguess wrote:The interviewers aren't given access to your file. They don't work for the school and I believe there would be some privacy law violations if they were shown your files.
Oh, duh. Didn't even think of that.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah I do alumni interviews for my undergrad, and the list of things we're not allowed to ask is quite substantial. Basically the interviewee has to offer up certain information, which might not even be that useful given the role alumni interviews play in the overall process.

jcan91

Bronze

Post by jcan91 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Two weeks and still no further contact regarding the alumni interview that was extended to me. Emailing time or should I just wait until after New Year's? Do the alumni always contact you by email?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tathagatagarbha

New

Post by tathagatagarbha » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:48 pm

I am really confused so help me out here guys.

My last update was on 12/10. I didn't get any message from the adcom either via email or snail mail.
And I live abroad.

I was getting really frustrated, and I just tried to log in to the admitted student's website.
I requested for the id and password, and I was able to log in.
And it says, welcome to the admitted student's website with my name on the first page.

"Congratulations Admitted Students!
[My name], welcome to the Georgetown Law admitted students website. "

What the hxxx is going on???
Am I in?????

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Probably. GULC doesn't do a final update on their status checker, they just mail the acceptance letter to you. Congrats!

bellagio

New

Post by bellagio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:23 pm

tathagatagarbha wrote:I am really confused so help me out here guys.

My last update was on 12/10. I didn't get any message from the adcom either via email or snail mail.
And I live abroad.

I was getting really frustrated, and I just tried to log in to the admitted student's website.
And it says, welcome to the admitted student's website with my name on the first page.

Am I in?????
I was in the exact same situation. My last update was 12/10, and a few days ago I tried the asw thing with success. I finally got a admit letter yesterday (I'm abroad as well). I'm 99% certain you're in, so congrats! The envelope looks like a rejection letter though.

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Two weeks and still no further contact regarding the alumni interview that was extended to me. Emailing time or should I just wait until after New Year's? Do the alumni always contact you by email?
Feel free to contact admissions. I'm an alumni interviewer; GULC provides us with contact information (email/phone) and asks us to contact you within a few days. Obviously, with the holidays things are not as fluid, but still, you should have heard back by now. It's not your fault the alumnus is late. For those wondering, we're not given any other information about you from the school. They have us request your resume (LSAT redacted), and that's it. So no alumni interviewer would have any reason to ask you about C/F --- that's between you and GULC alone if anything. The whole point is for us to get more of a sense of you as a person and what your interest in Georgetown is.

As a suggestion, please avoid stock answers, try and be as specific as possible, and make it clear that you've done more research than our T-14 ranking, job placement, and location. Know about available programs, organizations, professors, clinics, etc. that may be of direct interest to you, and try and articulate why that's so. We know that if you're competitive enough for GULC, you're likely going to get offers at other peer schools and are an intelligent person, but I'm less inclined to recommend someone for admission who really just views GULC as a checkmark in the admissions cycle rather than someone who is enthusiastic about the law school and what it offers (which, of course, includes the location).

Just my two cents.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcan91

Bronze

Post by jcan91 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am

chipchip wrote:
Feel free to contact admissions. I'm an alumni interviewer; GULC provides us with contact information (email/phone) and asks us to contact you within a few days. Obviously, with the holidays things are not as fluid, but still, you should have heard back by now. It's not your fault the alumnus is late. For those wondering, we're not given any other information about you from the school. They have us request your resume (LSAT redacted), and that's it. So no alumni interviewer would have any reason to ask you about C/F --- that's between you and GULC alone if anything. The whole point is for us to get more of a sense of you as a person and what your interest in Georgetown is.

As a suggestion, please avoid stock answers, try and be as specific as possible, and make it clear that you've done more research than our T-14 ranking, job placement, and location. Know about available programs, organizations, professors, clinics, etc. that may be of direct interest to you, and try and articulate why that's so. We know that if you're competitive enough for GULC, you're likely going to get offers at other peer schools and are an intelligent person, but I'm less inclined to recommend someone for admission who really just views GULC as a checkmark in the admissions cycle rather than someone who is enthusiastic about the law school and what it offers (which, of course, includes the location).

Just my two cents.
Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate the advice and I'll be sure to contact them and see what's going on. This advice will definitely be put to good use.

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geronimo1967

New

Post by geronimo1967 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:39 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
geronimo1967 wrote:Hi,

See supra pages 49, 50, 57; see also Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012) thread. The "Forum Search" function is also available for use at your convenience.

thanks so much!

quantum_leaps

New

Post by quantum_leaps » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:57 pm

bellagio wrote:
tathagatagarbha wrote:I am really confused so help me out here guys.

And I live abroad.

Am I in?????
I was in the exact same situation. My last update was 12/10, and a few days ago I tried the asw thing with success. I finally got a admit letter yesterday (I'm abroad as well). I'm 99% certain you're in, so congrats! The envelope looks like a rejection letter though.
just got back from vacation and found out i got into gtown via this...possibly the weirdest way to find out but heck, i'll take it!
the only thing i got via snail mail was that card but i thought it was one of those northwestern-esque law schools tyring to be funny things]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”