Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swordking90

Bronze

Re: Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by swordking90 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:Withdrew today. Good luck!
Have you decided where you're going yet TripTrip? Your cycle is totally perplexing to me...but in the grand scheme of things you still have good choices :)

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:10 pm

swordking90 wrote:
Have you decided where you're going yet TripTrip? Your cycle is totally perplexing to me...but in the grand scheme of things you still have good choices :)
No, I haven't. However, I got equal scholarships from NU and Gtown, and who would take Gtown over NU at the same price?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 pm

I received my status-check credentials on 2/16, and my status date is still 2/28. I'm URM, if that makes a difference...
Is this bad news? Should I be assuming (as I am) that they are totally disinterested? Any insight would be much appreciated!

account1

New

Post by account1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:36 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:I received my status-check credentials on 2/16, and my status date is still 2/28. I'm URM, if that makes a difference...
Is this bad news? Should I be assuming (as I am) that they are totally disinterested? Any insight would be much appreciated!
To be honest, u being urm is irrelevant. I think u just have to wait it out. I dont think this is either positve/negative...

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm

account1 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:I received my status-check credentials on 2/16, and my status date is still 2/28. I'm URM, if that makes a difference...
To be honest, u being urm is irrelevant. I think u just have to wait it out. I dont think this is either positve/negative...
I've heard that some schools throw all the borderline accept/reject URM apps in a pile to be reviewed at the end of the cycle... which is why I mentioned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Withdrew. Good luck!

parkys77

New

Post by parkys77 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Could my file be under review without the word review in the online status checker? For example, I know that Duke's online status checker says 'under review' I finished an interview and there was an update on the date, but it still says application complete.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 am

TripTrip wrote:
swordking90 wrote:
No, I haven't. However, I got equal scholarships from NU and Gtown, and who would take Gtown over NU at the same price?
I don't see why this is such a self-evident choice. I would take GTown over NU at the same price. It's a matter of preference. It's not like you're asking who would rather go to George Washington over Yale at the same price.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 am

danielr wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
swordking90 wrote:
I don't see why this is such a self-evident choice. I would take GTown over NU at the same price. It's a matter of preference. It's not like you're asking who would rather go to George Washington over Yale at the same price.
NU is the obvious choice for biglaw, statistically and anecdotally speaking. I'd take Gtown over NU if I knew I wanted government/PI though. so you're right, it does depend. but then I would apply for one of the special scholarship programs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 am

Yes, personal preference does matter. But like above, if my preference were PI, I'd be considering Gtown more for the LRAP.

carol0131

New

Post by carol0131 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

Has any of those who were promised to get a scholarship feedback on April 5th but didn't got an email from the office promising to give us an update by April 22nd?
The process is like spinning...

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

carol0131 wrote:Has any of those who were promised to get a scholarship feedback on April 5th but didn't got an email from the office promising to give us an update by April 22nd?
The process is like spinning...
When the 5th came and went with no word, I withdrew on the 6th. After being stalled for months, receiving an unpleasant phone call basically prepping me for a low-ball offer, and then missing a deadline w/ zero explanation, it was just the last straw for me. Best of luck all.

Iamnotworthy

New

Post by Iamnotworthy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm

I received an offer yesterday. Despite my low expectations, it still managed to disappoint me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

turn left

New

Post by turn left » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Iamnotworthy wrote:I received an offer yesterday. Despite my low expectations, it still managed to disappoint me.
Same. I'll be withdrawing.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 pm

turn left wrote:
Iamnotworthy wrote:I received an offer yesterday. Despite my low expectations, it still managed to disappoint me.
Add me to the list. A lot of spots about to open up at GULC

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

txdude45 wrote:
turn left wrote:
Add me to the list. A lot of spots about to open up at GULC
yea -- if they don't up it, i'm peacing out. its been real DC

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Lol @ Georgetown this cycle. When all this started I assumed the Dean of Admissions would get fired for this epic botch job but its become so bad I wonder if the Dean of the law school himself will get fired. I'm sure their median will drop at least a point but probably two. Would not at all surprise me if UCLA moves into that 14th spot and stays there considering how aggressively generous they have been this cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:Lol @ Georgetown this cycle. When all this started I assumed the Dean of Admissions would get fired for this epic botch job but its become so bad I wonder if the Dean of the law school himself will get fired. I'm sure their median will drop at least a point but probably two. Would not at all surprise me if UCLA moves into that 14th spot and stays there considering how aggressively generous they have been this cycle.
Yea I definitely agree. Dean Schwartz is so easy to work with. Although UT almost seems more promising strictly rankings-wise than ucla just because they have such a hold on an entire state market while ucla competes with stanford/cal.

That said, andrew cornblatt does come off as a very warm and well meaning person so I do not wish him ill. they just seem disorganized.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Lol @ Georgetown this cycle. When all this started I assumed the Dean of Admissions would get fired for this epic botch job but its become so bad I wonder if the Dean of the law school himself will get fired. I'm sure their median will drop at least a point but probably two. Would not at all surprise me if UCLA moves into that 14th spot and stays there considering how aggressively generous they have been this cycle.
Yea I definitely agree. Dean Schwartz is so easy to work with. Although UT almost seems more promising strictly rankings-wise than ucla just because they have such a hold on an entire state market while ucla competes with stanford/cal.

That said, andrew cornblatt does come off as a very warm and well meaning person so I do not wish him ill. they just seem disorganized.
Oh, I'm not wishing anyone gets fired. Just saying that it would not surprise me one bit.

I said UCLA might rise just because I think they have the best chance of having the highest medians of that sub group. UT I think has a better national reputation and maybe even faculty reputation but they are handcuffed by the high percentage of Texans they have to matriculate. Would not surprise me to see their medians drop again, especially if they gun for a larger class size this year like rumors say they will.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm

This is ridiculous. You act as if every single law school applicant were on TLS, and they are all dissatisfied with the way their scholarships panned out. Georgetown's process of awarding merit aid may not have been the best, but I doubt anyone would get fired over it.

Do tell us, what else do you see in your crystal ball???

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 pm

danielr wrote:
This is ridiculous. You act as if every single law school applicant were on TLS, and they are all dissatisfied with the way their scholarships panned out. Georgetown's process of awarding merit aid may not have been the best, but I doubt anyone would get fired over it.

Georgetown won't have any problem filling a class. I just don't think the numbers will be all that close to last year's. The Dean already said publically that he thought the median will be a "169 or 168" but that was before this disaster so I think it will probably be even worse.

How about a friendly wager: I predict their median will drop to a 167 or below. Anything 168 and above, you win. Winner chooses the other's avatar for a year. Deal?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:
danielr wrote:

Georgetown won't have any problem filling a class. I just don't think the numbers will be all that close to last year's. The Dean already said publically that he thought the median will be a "169 or 168" but that was before this disaster so I think it will probably be even worse.

How about a friendly wager: I predict their median will drop to a 167 or below. Anything 168 and above, you win. Winner chooses the other's avatar for a year. Deal?
This thread just got interesting....

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 pm

intlsplitr wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
danielr wrote:

This thread just got interesting....
My prediction is extreme apparently so I might as well put my money where my mouth is.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Got in. Dean mentioned my interviewers recc in the note on my letter. Guess the USA is an indicator.

99% on going. Although, with this talk maybe I should be going to UCLA. However, I'll take my chances with the great Georgetown meltdown.
Last edited by CourCour on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
danielr wrote:

This is a pretty unfair wager just because the medians of most law schools will probably drop this year if only because of the drop in applications, especially ones with strong LSAT scores. It seems like you see their merit aid strategy as a complete blotch as it discouraged top candidates (lets assume 175+)? The absence of these wouldn't drive down GULC's medians if they replace them and a number of their below 25th applicants with scores closer to their medians and essentially tighten the margin. The biggest problem is that GULC's size most probably limits their ability to do this to some degree.

Regardless of all of this you wouldn't be able to attribute a drop in medians with the scholarship strategy. It would be weak correlation at best. I know you didn't directly say that scholarship would be the reason why medians may drop slightly, but everything said so far pointed to that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”