Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Elahrairah
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Elahrairah » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Elahrairah wrote:Here's a question for you guys: How important is a Why Michigan? I already have one supplemental essay written, and my inability to write a solid Why Michigan has now held up my application for three weeks. (!!) Michigan is among my very top choices because of its focus on public interest work, academia, and clerkships, but I don't know how to turn that into a full page of writing without it sounding obsequious or forced. Would it substantially hurt my chances to submit without a Why Michigan? Should I just get a move on and submit?


Although this thread has kind of moved on from the aforementioned topic, I wanted to address it really quickly. As I mentioned earlier, I have an LSAT score below Michigan's 25th percentile range, but I wrote (what I consider to be) a very convincing and sincere "Why Mich?" statement and was accepted this cycle within 58 days from the day that I sent off my application via LSAC. Accordingly, if you really want to go to this (or any) school and are not an auto-accept (or even if you are but want to avoid YP), spend the time doing research and find reasons to back up your desire to attend. :wink:


On reflection, I think you're right. There's a good Why Michigan in me. I just need to take some time with it.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 20141023 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby djwjddl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 am

So for mich it seems like you go straight from complete to the final decision, correct? Any idea how long that usually takes?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby shntn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 am

djwjddl wrote:So for mich it seems like you go straight from complete to the final decision, correct? Any idea how long that usually takes?

Second post on literally the previous page.

User avatar
_corsair
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby _corsair » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Based on LSN, only one person was accepted yesterday and nobody today. Looks like the admissions staff basically took this week off.

edit. Looking at a large number of the people accepted so far, it seems like Michigan is kind of failing at the YP game. They've accepted many applicants with 172+/3.8+, who are clearly people that will likely not be attending. I wonder what their strategy is, given that last year's graph shows plenty of waitlisting. At least Virginia is throwing tons of money at these people right when they accept them in the hopes they'll seriously consider attending. (And to note, this doesn't apply to me. I am at risk of YP exactly nowhere.)

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

_corsair wrote:Based on LSN, only one person was accepted yesterday and nobody today. Looks like the admissions staff basically took this week off.

edit. Looking at a large number of the people accepted so far, it seems like Michigan is kind of failing at the YP game. They've accepted many applicants with 172+/3.8+, who are clearly people that will likely not be attending. I wonder what their strategy is, given that last year's graph shows plenty of waitlisting. At least Virginia is throwing tons of money at these people right when they accept them in the hopes they'll seriously consider attending. (And to note, this doesn't apply to me. I am at risk of YP exactly nowhere.)


Mich takes a couple weeks before they start offering schollies

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby lsacqueen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm

I was accepted today via status checker!

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dproduct » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 pm

lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats!!

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby KanyeShrug » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 pm

lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats! When did you submit/go complete?

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby lsacqueen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats! When did you submit/go complete?


submitted 10/1, complete 10/16

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby digifly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats! When did you submit/go complete?


Submit 10/1, complete 10/16. They're on the LSN profile.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Just » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
KanyeShrug wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats! When did you submit/go complete?


submitted 10/1, complete 10/16


Did you check the status checker yesterday?

bruwinning24
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby bruwinning24 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Finally in via status checker. Submitted day 1.

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I sent on November 6th and I'm still incomplete with status updated today. Is this normal or should I be worried?

haveahat
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby haveahat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

bruwinning24 wrote:Finally in via status checker. Submitted day 1.


Also in today!! Submitted sometime mid-late October.

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby lsacqueen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 am

Just wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:
KanyeShrug wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:I was accepted today via status checker!


Congrats! When did you submit/go complete?


submitted 10/1, complete 10/16


Did you check the status checker yesterday?


Yes I did.

And to the person who asked whether remaining incomplete for a few weeks is normal, I believe it is fairly normal. MIch takes their time processing the app. I was sitting at incomplete for 16 days after submission.

User avatar
10miler
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 10miler » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:08 pm

happy thxgiv'n ev'ry1- check'n in :-)

URMLAW
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby URMLAW » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 pm

My file was complete a while ago but now I entered the status checker site and it says that it was last updated recently even though ther are no changes... does this means the decision is coming out soon?

karich
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby karich » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 pm

URMLAW wrote:My file was complete a while ago but now I entered the status checker site and it says that it was last updated recently even though ther are no changes... does this means the decision is coming out soon?


The status checker updates every day whether there has been movement or not.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby ht2988 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm

this has probably been asked already, but i'm lazy. how long after submitting does it take to receive the status checker?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 20141023 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:04 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

canarykb
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby canarykb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:32 am

In this weekend via Snail Mail! I submitted on 10/21. I didn't write a Why Mich? essay, but I did write 2 of the optional essays, including the one about educational environments, and I worked in a little "Why Mich is the right educational environment for me" there.

Also - Does anyone know when UMich typically sends merit scholarship offers? Been trying to search TLS for timelines... but not getting anywhere.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 am

canarykb wrote:In this weekend via Snail Mail! I submitted on 10/21. I didn't write a Why Mich? essay, but I did write 2 of the optional essays, including the one about educational environments, and I worked in a little "Why Mich is the right educational environment for me" there.

Also - Does anyone know when UMich typically sends merit scholarship offers? Been trying to search TLS for timelines... but not getting anywhere.


In via snail mail? Did your status checker change at all?

canarykb
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby canarykb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
canarykb wrote:In this weekend via Snail Mail! I submitted on 10/21. I didn't write a Why Mich? essay, but I did write 2 of the optional essays, including the one about educational environments, and I worked in a little "Why Mich is the right educational environment for me" there.

Also - Does anyone know when UMich typically sends merit scholarship offers? Been trying to search TLS for timelines... but not getting anywhere.


In via snail mail? Did your status checker change at all?


Ha I guess my status checker did change: "Congratulations! You’re in! Because we’re wowed by flash drives and yellow portfolios and personalized notes, we are sending you a large envelope with a formal acceptance letter and lots of information about Michigan Law. But because we are wowed by YOU, we didn’t want to make you wait to find out." Cute, Michigan.

I was gone over the weekend and didn't expect to hear anything over Tgiving break, so I didn't check, just got the envelope when I got home last nigh.

deffoe
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby deffoe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 pm

In! Same as canary, I got the "Congrats" status checker on 11/24, the same day as my dad got an acceptance letter snail mail at his house. For the record, I was 170/3.50, I wrote the max # of optional essays including a really strong Why Mich? which I'm sure helped.

QUESTION: It says "you have been accepted for fall 2013". Does this mean I was not accepted for summer? Can I still tell them I might prefer the summer start option?

2nd Question: There was no mention of $$. Is there a consensus that they are waiting a while to start making grant offers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”