Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
zoidberg86
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby zoidberg86 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:14 pm

rghods wrote:Got a feeler call Tuesday morning, and then they called me back later in the day offering me a spot off the waitlist. Sent in a LOCI and took a visit. Got a little $$$ too.

Hang in there guys!


Congrats! :D

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby djwjddl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:24 pm

anybody get a follow-up email after requesting a withdrawal? asked if they could do anything to change my mind?

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Big Dog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:30 pm

^^say, sure, just add a "1" in front of that merit award. :mrgreen:

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JXander » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

rghods wrote:Got a feeler call Tuesday morning, and then they called me back later in the day offering me a spot off the waitlist. Sent in a LOCI and took a visit. Got a little $$$ too.

Hang in there guys!

Thank you and cogratulations!

Do you mind sharing your numbers?

User avatar
hohenheim
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby hohenheim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Hey, has anyone seen the budget for 2013-2014? I can only find the one for last year (2012-2013) that says:

In-State $66,950
Out-of-State $69,950

Does anyone have this year's number? (and not an estimated amount, like from a COA calculator)

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4896
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 pm

djwjddl wrote:anybody get a follow-up email after requesting a withdrawal? asked if they could do anything to change my mind?


Yes...did not like that, way too stressful. What am I supposed to say?! :oops:

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:21 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anybody get a follow-up email after requesting a withdrawal? asked if they could do anything to change my mind?


Yes...did not like that, way too stressful. What am I supposed to say?! :oops:


I will be sending my withdrawal notice in very soon, it's interesting they ask this. I already asked them for more money and they said no. So, if they ask me, you can be damn sure I'm going to be honest and say "Another $20,000.00 a year would do it."

If they ask me that question, I'll let y'all know their reply to my response :lol:

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anybody get a follow-up email after requesting a withdrawal? asked if they could do anything to change my mind?


Yes...did not like that, way too stressful. What am I supposed to say?! :oops:



Tell them thanks, but no thanks but you can give the spot to me!

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4896
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:43 pm

UMich11 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anybody get a follow-up email after requesting a withdrawal? asked if they could do anything to change my mind?


Yes...did not like that, way too stressful. What am I supposed to say?! :oops:



Tell them thanks, but no thanks but you can give the spot to me!


Haha, no worries, the spot is all yours. The phrasing of the email just makes it difficult to respond to graciously, "No thanks, and money isn't the issue, it's really you." I'd rather not sound like a dick. It WAS a difficult decision for me, but Michigan isn't the right place for me and the email really pushed financial concerns.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

I also got a followup after my withdrawal request asking if they could provide further aid to change my decision. They were quick, straightforward, and transparent about it, and I didn't feel pressured to respond to the email (though I did) and I don't feel pressured to accept the new scholarship offer.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

fallingup wrote:I also got a followup after my withdrawal request asking if they could provide further aid to change my decision. They were quick, straightforward, and transparent about it, and I didn't feel pressured to respond to the email (though I did) and I don't feel pressured to accept the new scholarship offer.


Did they actually ask if they could provide further aid, or did they say they would "be happy to talk about any concerns ... including financial .. you may have"? Mine didn't really seem straightforward, and I'm not 100% sure how to respond.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4896
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
fallingup wrote:I also got a followup after my withdrawal request asking if they could provide further aid to change my decision. They were quick, straightforward, and transparent about it, and I didn't feel pressured to respond to the email (though I did) and I don't feel pressured to accept the new scholarship offer.


Did they actually ask if they could provide further aid, or did they say they would "be happy to talk about any concerns ... including financial .. you may have"? Mine didn't really seem straightforward, and I'm not 100% sure how to respond.


We think you’re a terrific candidate, though, and if money is a key reason for your decision, I hope you will consider contacting us about any awards you have received from other schools, as we may be able to offer a competing award. If you would like to try that process, please let me know, and we will be happy to reinstate your application. Please feel free to call me to discuss.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
fallingup wrote:I also got a followup after my withdrawal request asking if they could provide further aid to change my decision. They were quick, straightforward, and transparent about it, and I didn't feel pressured to respond to the email (though I did) and I don't feel pressured to accept the new scholarship offer.


Did they actually ask if they could provide further aid, or did they say they would "be happy to talk about any concerns ... including financial .. you may have"? Mine didn't really seem straightforward, and I'm not 100% sure how to respond.


We think you’re a terrific candidate, though, and if money is a key reason for your decision, I hope you will consider contacting us about any awards you have received from other schools, as we may be able to offer a competing award. If you would like to try that process, please let me know, and we will be happy to reinstate your application. Please feel free to call me to discuss.


Yours was much more direct than mine. Maybe it was because I had already tried to submit a competing offer.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4896
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
fallingup wrote:I also got a followup after my withdrawal request asking if they could provide further aid to change my decision. They were quick, straightforward, and transparent about it, and I didn't feel pressured to respond to the email (though I did) and I don't feel pressured to accept the new scholarship offer.


Did they actually ask if they could provide further aid, or did they say they would "be happy to talk about any concerns ... including financial .. you may have"? Mine didn't really seem straightforward, and I'm not 100% sure how to respond.


We think you’re a terrific candidate, though, and if money is a key reason for your decision, I hope you will consider contacting us about any awards you have received from other schools, as we may be able to offer a competing award. If you would like to try that process, please let me know, and we will be happy to reinstate your application. Please feel free to call me to discuss.


Yours was much more direct than mine. Maybe it was because I had already tried to submit a competing offer.


I spent too much time waiting for Cornell and ran out of time so I didn't negotiate and, per TLS, Michigan hasn't really played ball with Duke, so I hadn't submitted competing offers. I would assume that would account for the difference.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 pm

per TLS, Michigan hasn't really played ball with Duke


I hate when people on TLS speculate about what competing offers a school will or won't consider and make other people think there is truth to what they are saying, when it's actually flat out untrue.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4896
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

fallingup wrote:
per TLS, Michigan hasn't really played ball with Duke


I hate when people on TLS speculate about what competing offers a school will or won't consider and make other people think there is truth to what they are saying, when it's actually flat out untrue.


Regardless, I wasn't interested in attending Michigan after ASW and was waiting on Cornell for their offer to do the "one time negotiation" deal to use as leverage with Duke...and Cornell never bothered to send me anything, despite my request (I never received a financial aid packet from them) so it was pretty much a moot point in my particular situation.

viksn1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby viksn1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 am

Withdrew today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

dek88
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dek88 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 am

does anyone know what michigan's seat deposit refund policy is?

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby oaken » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 am

dek88 wrote:does anyone know what michigan's seat deposit refund policy is?

not return it? do any schools return them?

dek88
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dek88 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 am

oaken wrote:
dek88 wrote:does anyone know what michigan's seat deposit refund policy is?

not return it? do any schools return them?


yeah a bunch of schools do. or they refund a certain percentage of it based on when you ask for it back

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby MacB » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am

fallingup wrote:
per TLS, Michigan hasn't really played ball with Duke


I hate when people on TLS speculate about what competing offers a school will or won't consider and make other people think there is truth to what they are saying, when it's actually flat out untrue.


Michigan matched my Duke offer after telling me in a face-to-face that they likely wouldn't, FYI.

LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby LittleTree » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am

MacB wrote:
fallingup wrote:
per TLS, Michigan hasn't really played ball with Duke


I hate when people on TLS speculate about what competing offers a school will or won't consider and make other people think there is truth to what they are saying, when it's actually flat out untrue.


Michigan matched my Duke offer after telling me in a face-to-face that they likely wouldn't, FYI.


Michigan is very holistic about it. Much less luck if you just ask them to match without having a conversation with them about it. I'd call and have a good conversation, then ask. They almost matched a ucla/usc offer for me and I had an existing, much lower, offer from michigan. Had a really great conversation with a few deans about how they decide to respond to these requests. Can PM me if you're actually interested.

qwertyboard
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby qwertyboard » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 am

Ann Coulter is a UM law alumni... top 10%...

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby ht2988 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

Michigan upped my $$ offer after I sent in my withdrawal last week... This complicates things. IDK what to do!!!!

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Go to Michigan. I ended up withdrawing, but still very torn about it. You will feel better each day once you pay a deposit someplace.. I was driving myself crazy with a pros/cons, in the end, all of the schools in the T14 are great choices for the most part
Last edited by curious66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests