Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hinakas

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby hinakas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 am

intlsplitr wrote:
It is definitely getting lonely 'round these parts.

I mean...it's gotta be a wl, at best, by now right? But seriously, why wait this long? Give us some closure!

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 am

hinakas wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

I mean...it's gotta be a wl, at best, by now right? But seriously, why wait this long? Give us some closure!

I agree. It makes me wonder how they've categorized the pile our apps are all sitting in...

testaker

Postby testaker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks

TorturedApplicant

Postby TorturedApplicant » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

bluecouch wrote:
hinakas wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

I agree. It makes me wonder how they've categorized the pile our apps are all sitting in...

"Suckers". Complete since mid-feb. Nothing.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:47 am

TorturedApplicant wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
hinakas wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

"Suckers". Complete since mid-feb. Nothing.

LOL so true.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 pm

bluecouch wrote:
hinakas wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

When is the first deposit deadline? Could they be waiting to see what the yield is like? Though, I suppose if that was the issue, they would just WL us...

zoidberg86

Postby zoidberg86 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm

intlsplitr wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
hinakas wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

When is the first deposit deadline? Could they be waiting to see what the yield is like? Though, I suppose if that was the issue, they would just WL us...

April 30th

dolfan17

Postby dolfan17 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:56 pm

testaker wrote:Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks

I got them to raise my scholarship substantially. I was a little worried because I had heard that they didn't negotiate but when I emailed they were very friendly and got back to me within 3 days. You should definitely try.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

dolfan17 wrote:
testaker wrote:Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks

I got them to raise my scholarship substantially. I was a little worried because I had heard that they didn't negotiate but when I emailed they were very friendly and got back to me within 3 days. You should definitely try.

I did not succeed in raising mine, so its clearly a mixed bag. I think its depends on how low their initial offer was. They seemed pretty adamant for me though, so I'm giving up on Mich. I tried on 3 different occasions and was shot down (albeit kindly) 3 times.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Withdrawn. 90k back in the pool for y'all. Michigan seems like an awesome school so everyone have fun there!

MacB

Postby MacB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I did not succeed in raising mine, so its clearly a mixed bag. I think its depends on how low their initial offer was. They seemed pretty adamant for me though, so I'm giving up on Mich. I tried on 3 different occasions and was shot down (albeit kindly) 3 times.

What was your initial offer and what did you ask for, if you don't mind me asking? I just got my award letter today and I'm trying to figure out if asking for an increase is worth it. Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable.

halestorm

Postby halestorm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm

dolfan17 wrote:

I've also had success. It's not a lost cause!

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:32 pm

halestorm wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:

how?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 pm

MacB wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I did not succeed in raising mine, so its clearly a mixed bag. I think its depends on how low their initial offer was. They seemed pretty adamant for me though, so I'm giving up on Mich. I tried on 3 different occasions and was shot down (albeit kindly) 3 times.

What was your initial offer and what did you ask for, if you don't mind me asking? I just got my award letter today and I'm trying to figure out if asking for an increase is worth it. Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable.

Oh its fine. they aren't going to budge so if I'm outted whatever. I got $22,500/yr initially. Showed them Duke and NU @ $30K/yr, they wouldn't touch it. Was really interested in Michigan too and I made my interest clear; my emails were very polite so I don't think it was that.

They also admitted their numbers are very much pegged to your stats. if you hit a certain gpa/lsat metric, you'll get slotted with a certain award.

edit: I was also shot down on any need aid even tho I'm not wealthy. if they give you a merit award, it severely diminishes your chance at need based. rather frustrating since people get $25K+/yr in need based alone

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
MacB wrote:

Oh its fine. they aren't going to budge so if I'm outted whatever. I got $22,500/yr initially. Showed them Duke and NU @ $30K/yr, they wouldn't touch it. Was really interested in Michigan too and I made my interest clear; my emails were very polite so I don't think it was that.

They also admitted their numbers are very much pegged to your stats. if you hit a certain gpa/lsat metric, you'll get slotted with a certain award.

edit: I was also shot down on any need aid even tho I'm not wealthy. if they give you a merit award, it severely diminishes your chance at need based. rather frustrating since people get $25K+/yr in need based alone

I applied for need-based aid and was offered 75k!!!..................................................................... in loans.

At least they made me laugh for a while.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm

qwertyboard wrote:
I applied for need-based aid and was offered 75k!!!..................................................................... in loans.

I swear, the single biggest "syke!" in application history is when a law school "offers" you loans.

So. Over. Dealing. With. Financial. Aid. Departments.

MacB

Postby MacB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

I swear, the single biggest "syke!" in application history is when a law school "offers" you loans.

So. Over. Dealing. With. Financial. Aid. Departments.

I much prefer when they frame it as an "award." You have been awarded 50K per year... in loans... congrats on the award!! :lol:

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I think it's not an honest practice. It shouldn't be under "award notice". I feel the decision was already made based on my numbers before I applied for aid. Some of the important requirements like providing income tax returns were waived. How can you make an informed decision without important pieces of information?

edit.
There is this other guy that is in a similar economic situation and was offered 60k.

Should I even bother asking for a reconsideration?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Application finally complete! Can't wait to hear back. :)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Application finally complete! Can't wait to hear back two cycles from now when they finish reviewing my app. :)

FTFY

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm

TripTrip wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Application finally complete! Can't wait to hear back two cycles from now when they finish reviewing my app. :)

FTFY

Lolol, fair enough.

At least they processed my application. I'm pretty sure I'll hear back from Cornell when I'm receiving retirement benefits.

dolfan17

Postby dolfan17 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

smdpnp wrote:
halestorm wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:

Which schools did you guys use to raise your Mich aid?

Northwestern

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

dolfan17 wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Which schools did you guys use to raise your Mich aid?

Northwestern

Wow, nice! Other TLSers didn't get anywhere with their Northwestern aid, so I didn't think to try. Thanks for the tip.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

smdpnp wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Which schools did you guys use to raise your Mich aid?

Northwestern

Wow, nice! Other TLSers didn't get anywhere with their Northwestern aid, so I didn't think to try. Thanks for the tip.

I'm under the impression that your NU offer has to be quite substantially higher than your Mich offer for them to revise. like crazy high

edit: please correct me if I'm wrong though

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”