Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
overperformer
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby overperformer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Seems like a lot of ppl on the WL.

What do you think the odds of getting off are?

And, does michigan do deferrals for next fall from the WL?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JXander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm

overperformer wrote:Seems like a lot of ppl on the WL.

I noticed that, too. Especially in light of their email explaining that the waitlist is usually kept "small."

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Sorry about all the wait listing :( unless Mich exceeds my NU offer they'll be a spot and some money back in there for all you though! Keep up hope, my cycle has had it's ups and downs but chances are good news is coming.

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 am

overperformer wrote:Seems like a lot of ppl on the WL.

What do you think the odds of getting off are?

And, does michigan do deferrals for next fall from the WL?



I would actually like to know the last part as well.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm

This wait for the financial aid email is killer for some reason.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 pm

I just emailed them a scholly to match. I've gotten such a great vibe from everything Mich and have only heard great things from people who went there. Alas, got to go where the $ brings me, so we shall see.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Sorry about all the wait listing :( unless Mich exceeds my NU offer they'll be a spot and some money back in there for all you though! Keep up hope, my cycle has had it's ups and downs but chances are good news is coming.


I don't think Michigan is going to budge much for NU; they seem pretty intent on only negotiating with Virginia Penn and up from what I can tell. I tried with Duke to no avail.

let me know if they move for you tho it will give me hope since I'm still hoping they change their mind

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Sorry about all the wait listing :( unless Mich exceeds my NU offer they'll be a spot and some money back in there for all you though! Keep up hope, my cycle has had it's ups and downs but chances are good news is coming.


I don't think Michigan is going to budge much for NU; they seem pretty intent on only negotiating with Virginia Penn and up from what I can tell. I tried with Duke to no avail.

let me know if they move for you tho it will give me hope since I'm still hoping they change their mind


So they don't view schools with superior employment statistics as their peers? Interesting.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Sorry about all the wait listing :( unless Mich exceeds my NU offer they'll be a spot and some money back in there for all you though! Keep up hope, my cycle has had it's ups and downs but chances are good news is coming.


I don't think Michigan is going to budge much for NU; they seem pretty intent on only negotiating with Virginia Penn and up from what I can tell. I tried with Duke to no avail.

let me know if they move for you tho it will give me hope since I'm still hoping they change their mind


So they don't view schools with superior employment statistics as their peers? Interesting.


Ha, literally my thoughts exactly.
They said they would take a look after I told them NU's offer. So yeah, we will see.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Sorry about all the wait listing :( unless Mich exceeds my NU offer they'll be a spot and some money back in there for all you though! Keep up hope, my cycle has had it's ups and downs but chances are good news is coming.


I don't think Michigan is going to budge much for NU; they seem pretty intent on only negotiating with Virginia Penn and up from what I can tell. I tried with Duke to no avail.

let me know if they move for you tho it will give me hope since I'm still hoping they change their mind


So they don't view schools with superior employment statistics as their peers? Interesting.


Ha, literally my thoughts exactly.
They said they would take a look after I told them NU's offer. So yeah, we will see.


PMing you

jackbauer10
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jackbauer10 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Ha, literally my thoughts exactly.
They said they would take a look after I told them NU's offer. So yeah, we will see.


Keep us posted and good luck!

orbotop
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby orbotop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 pm

yes, do, please, indeed.

jackbauer10 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Ha, literally my thoughts exactly.
They said they would take a look after I told them NU's offer. So yeah, we will see.


Keep us posted and good luck!

nmb43
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby nmb43 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 pm

overperformer wrote:Seems like a lot of ppl on the WL.

What do you think the odds of getting off are?

And, does michigan do deferrals for next fall from the WL?


Over the last five-years they've taken an average of 37 people off the waitlist (with a low of 5 and a high of 80) and their FAQ says this year they are likely to take more than usual. There's probably no way to know this.. but does anybody have an approximate idea of how large their waitlist has been in previous years?

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby MacB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Just adding my experience, during my visit I sat down with a financial aid advisor and she straight up said that they won't match an offer from Duke. The reasoning was that in their estimation, when choosing between Michigan and Duke, more often than not students choose U of M. I'm not a hundo on whether or not that's true, but it does seem to be their general assumption/policy.

User avatar
dolfan17
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dolfan17 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I just emailed them a scholly to match. I've gotten such a great vibe from everything Mich and have only heard great things from people who went there. Alas, got to go where the $ brings me, so we shall see.



Who did you email admissions or financial aid? I'm also interested in giving them a northwestern offer but I'm not sure who to send it to.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 pm

dolfan17 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I just emailed them a scholly to match. I've gotten such a great vibe from everything Mich and have only heard great things from people who went there. Alas, got to go where the $ brings me, so we shall see.



Who did you email admissions or financial aid? I'm also interested in giving them a northwestern offer but I'm not sure who to send it to.


I emailed the address provided under the contact when you click on "mail and money." I think it was normal admissions, but the person who responded said she would speak with financial aid, so I don't think it matters between them.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby MacB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Admissions and finaid are in the same office and the admissions advisors that I spoke with made it clear that they were perfectly comfortable fielding all of my finaid questions. I don't think emailing admissions would be a problem.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 pm

On the admitted students website, under Financial Aid Award, is the amount listed a total scholarship or the amount per year (i.e. multiply by three)?

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby smdpnp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm

smdpnp wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:On the admitted students website, under Financial Aid Award, is the amount listed a total scholarship or the amount per year (i.e. multiply by three)?

Total scholarship.


Are you sure about that? Because everyone else with my stats on LSN has been getting exactly three times the amount displayed for me...

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby MacB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm

I believe it's actually only for one year.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm

MacB wrote:I believe it's actually only for one year.


This would make more sense, but we're at 50/50 right now. Can anyone else weigh in?

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby MacB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
MacB wrote:I believe it's actually only for one year.


This would make more sense, but we're at 50/50 right now. Can anyone else weigh in?


Someone who actually got a merit scholarship from Michigan... :oops:

orbotop
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby orbotop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 pm

it's 100% the amount per year, and the total (3x what you see) is distributed evenly over your entire 6 semesters of law school. so if you see $1, you'll get $0.50 per semester for 6 semesters, or $3 total.

User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby smdpnp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ewan0707 and 7 guests